AoS 2e previews

Sception

1 minute ago, Sception said:

Not a terrible deal, though I still won't be able to afford that AND the starter box AND the general's handbook AND the Nighthaunt battletome all at once.

You and me both mate XD
It is just so much that will come out.  Especially since every death player will want the Malign Sorcerys.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'll either get the sorceries and general's handbook, and put off the starter box and nighthaunt tome for a month or three, or else I'll get the starter box, and rely on proxies for the sorceries, scrollbuilder for the updated points costs, and youtube review screenshots for the nighthaunt faction rules until I can afford the rest.

11 minutes ago, Sception said:

Yeah, I'll either get the sorceries and general's handbook, and put off the starter box and nighthaunt tome for a month or three, or else I'll get the starter box, and rely on proxies for the sorceries, scrollbuilder for the updated points costs, and youtube review screenshots for the nighthaunt faction rules until I can afford the rest.

Think I'll go for the starter and Malign Sorcery initially. Will be awhile before I field the Nighthaunt and I'm sure some of my friends will have GH2018 to see me through for a bit.

after further consideration, I've come to the following plan:

If I can find a stormcast player to split a 'starter set plus extra rulebook' purchase with, then I'll do that, since it'll be easier to find someone at release time than a couple months later.  Otherwise, I'll pick up the malign sorceries box.  Whichever of the two big boxes I don't end up grabbing this month I'll have to put off until August or September, since July's hobby budget's a bit tight due to time I'm taking off of work.  Though I will be able to pick up the general's handbook then.

Nighthaunt battletome, plus maybe a couple extra unit or character kits, I'll get in october, make them a spooky halloween project.  Most of the ghosties are supposed to be playable with Legions of Nagash (though it's still frustratingly unclear whether they're added to the legions proper or just available via allies), so whenever I do get the starter box ghosties, I can just play them with my current battle tome until then.

It's important for me to figure out a plan in advance, because if I don't I'll end up impulse buying more than us$400 worth of AoS stuff this month, and I absolutely cannot afford that.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/07/7th-june-the-war-for-soulsgw-homepage-post-2/

Yesterday's preview on the "soul wars", the main narrative push of 2e.  It's very promising, in particular with how centrally it places Nagash.  I'm actually relatively hopeful that the nighthaunts won't be the only big undead release coming in the next year or so.

The recent re invigoration of death through LoN and now NH (especially if there is cross pollination) should tie most death players over for many more months to come. 

I'm hoping that they throw destruction a bone as well now. I like a more "balanced" release schedule over all order/chaos all the time. :)

Back to the subject of endless lwgions maybe becoming super broken in 2e, the deepkin preview is out:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/09/9th-june-faction-focus-idoneth-deepkingw-homepage-post-3/

With this new tidbit:

AOSFFIdoneth-June8-Generals11ph.jpg

Which means you can't even stop endless legions by killing the general.  As long as there are any other LoN heroes left, they just become the general themselves.

This is amazing. Another great thing is that if the general dies you get to choose a new trait which may adapt better to the current situation.

edit: btw in the podcast they talked about summoning having a "cost" even if it's free, ie the ghoul king has seen an increase in points. I think this kind of gives the impression that at least skellies and dire wolves will see their points rise (or even the heroes like the Necro).

With regards to cost being embedded in units and other areas. That's annoying for people that would like to play without summoning. Even if certain armies are hinged on the gimmick. Someone might simply like a unit for narrative or aesthetic reasons.

I think being restricted to summoning from gravesites will keep Emdless Legions from being too broken. All your opponent needs to do is sit on a gravesite to completely turn it off. You would be forced to summon from the gravesites set up in your territory. For a lot of the slower units like skeletons and grave guard, they might not make it back into the fight in time. 

17 hours ago, Drujeful said:

For a lot of the slower units like skeletons and grave guard, they might not make it back into the fight in time

But think about black knights or even better hexwraiths suicide charging into the enemy... fly by mortal wounds, holding the opponents units back, while victorypoints start to pile sky high...

3 hours ago, Honk said:

But think about black knights or even better hexwraiths suicide charging into the enemy... fly by mortal wounds, holding the opponents units back, while victorypoints start to pile sky high...

That does seem very good. They'd be able to make it in from the back territory. I wonder how well other armies summoning will balance in that case.

Yes, mighty good question. 

I guess / fear not much, and as much as I liked the idea of summoning an undead horde, for matched play it’s a pain to balance. I’m sure there will be nasty combos out there.

And what about the armies without summoning?!

Right now I fear v2 is going to become an imba crazy cinematic slug fest and whoever lands the first good hit will stomp his enemy. But we’ll have to wait and see, what really gets written into the new book.

On 6/10/2018 at 4:21 AM, Drujeful said:

I think being restricted to summoning from gravesites will keep Emdless Legions from being too broken. All your opponent needs to do is sit on a gravesite to completely turn it off. You would be forced to summon from the gravesites set up in your territory. For a lot of the slower units like skeletons and grave guard, they might not make it back into the fight in time. 

We're also going to be limited based on command points which are in very limited supply.  I'm currently thinking that one gravesite will need to be kept in our own deployment zone (protected?) and spend 100 points on 2 extra command points if you're going for a heavy summoning list.

Something to think about.  Save 100 points in your list.  Legions of Night + Above Suspicion could put 3 units and the general in striking distance of the enemy.  Let them all die, then pick a new general on your side to bring the units back.  Not sure what the best way to optimize that is.

Question: can you still pick any model to be your general?  If you choose, for example, the musician of a 40 skeleton blob to be general, can you bring back that unit after you select a new general?

1 hour ago, grungolah said:

musician

Could nominate any model in your army to be your general...

not quite sure right now how the gravesite endless legion thing spelled out, but I think it was „summonable“ unit previously destroyed... can’t suicide run your vampirelord on zombiedragon. 

I really hope they playtested the summoning rules... under competitive circumstances 

9 hours ago, Honk said:

Could nominate any model in your army to be your general...

I fully expect a rule (similar to the last Generals Handbook) where it states your general must be a hero - it'll likely form part of the building an army section.

Regarding the possibility of stacking command abilities; what are the combos you'll most likely try first? I may go for Mannfred+Vhordrai just to use poor old Manny a bit hahah but I could see something like Nagash+anything else being super nasty as well, maybe Vhordrai as well, though Arkhan could be interesting with Nagash too.

3 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I fully expect a rule (similar to the last Generals Handbook) where it states your general must be a hero - it'll likely form part of the building an army section.

I think the wording implies that any model can be a general, but you're right that it could be different in the GHB.

Though I don't think it makes a lot of difference. If you selected a non-Hero model, then that model would be unable to generate a command trait and would not have access to Endless Legions (by my understanding). I don't think there is much benefit using a non-Hero general?

2 hours ago, ZaelART said:

I don't think there is much benefit using a non-Hero general?

Depending on the way they go with objectives, warlord kill might be a thing and suddenly your mighty skelli champ looks pretty good again ?

4 hours ago, smucreo said:

what are the combos you'll most likely try first?

Stupid and fitting : Nagash and his buddy Arkhan... Hand of dust on 9“ ??‍♀️  and they both get to know aaall the spells. 

But suddenly even the wightking gets to do something...

I think the endless spells are a little bit too much in focus, because iirc you have to agree on a realm to use one (Shyish for purple sun, etc...) 

1 hour ago, Honk said:

I think the endless spells are a little bit too much in focus, because iirc you have to agree on a realm to use one (Shyish for purple sun, etc...) 

No, the endless spells are not realm locked, and they aren't part of the realm spell lores.  Those lores are part of the realm of battle rules in the big rulebook.  The endless spells are their own separate thing, found in their own separate supplement, and you buy access to them directly with points.  If you pay the points for an endless spell, you can cast it, regardless of which realm you're fighting in.

It's not clear yet if paying the points lets you cast the spell only once, or as often as you like, but it is confirmed that you can cast the spells even if you're not on the realm associated with it, because they all have extra bonuses when you are casting them in the appropriate realm, which wouldn't exist if you could only cast the spell in that realm to begin with.

and given that, I think the spellportal will become a compulsory purchase for any list running nagash or arkhan, and probably any legion of sacrament list generally.

1 hour ago, Honk said:

?I think the endless spells are a little bit too much in focus, because iirc you have to agree on a realm to use one (Shyish for purple sun, etc...) 

No you don't need an agreement on realms to use any of the endless spells 

Only if you play in Shyish the Shyish related endless spells get a bit better

I e purple sun get 12" movement in Shyish otherwise it's 9"

Archived