Who´s better option now: VLoZB or Vhordrai?

GorbadIronClaw

As the tittle says: with the LoB out there, who is more powerful right now?  

Vhordrai is more expensive, and at first glance seems pretty more solid on the offense, but it seems  LoB has levelled the two and I don´t know if the points difference is worth of it.

Opinions? Pros and cons?

Pros: Vhordrai is pretty much straight up better in combat and has a better spell and better dragon breath. 

Cons: Vhordrai's command ability does not always have a worthwhile target. 40 points more is a significant number,

But as with most named characters, Vhordrai being unable to take an artifact (and denying you a command trait if he is your general) is the main reason to pass him over. VloZDs are therefore normally just a better choice. I think you only really run Vhordrai if you have another VLoZD to target with his command ability OR if he himself is the second VLoZD and you have 40 points spare to upgrade him a little bit.

Personally I cant see me ever running him unless I try a silly 3 ZD list.

In the legion of Blood I feel like VLoZD with Orb of Enchantment is superior to the prince. Being able to go toe to toe with any big bad in the game and deny them a whole turn of being able to attack is ridiculously good imo. I haven't run the math but VLoZD with LoB trait is similar damage output to Prince with Quickblood so in my books paying 40pts less for the VLoZD makes him the superior LoB choice. 

There is another threat asking for the „shooting attack“ from the prince. After some reading, I figured, that the „breath of shyish“ is not bound to the shooting phase.

the app just states: breath: pick target, roll dice, thx

so might want to do that after your melee attacks for the +1 bonus, to wipe the remaining models from the board...

even after the combat phase, at the beginning of the battleshock phase, he might healed a tier 

44 minutes ago, Honk said:

There is another threat asking for the „shooting attack“ from the prince. After some reading, I figured, that the „breath of shyish“ is not bound to the shooting phase.

the app just states: breath: pick target, roll dice, thx

so might want to do that after your melee attacks for the +1 bonus, to wipe the remaining models from the board...

even after the combat phase, at the beginning of the battleshock phase, he might healed a tier 

FAQ says it happens at the start of the shooting phase.

I take vhordrai every time but I also don't run LoB or run him as the general. The 6 mortals from the breath attack is awsome, so is the - 2 rend on the Lance and his +1 to hit and wound on all the attacks is great. He is a mortal wound/rend hammer that death lists need, the VLoZD is never a reliable damage dealer for me. I'll pay the 40pts extra so I can be assured that vhordrai will do what I always want the VLoZD to do(but usually doesn't) 

On 29/4/2018 at 1:24 AM, LJ26 said:

I take vhordrai every time but I also don't run LoB or run him as the general. The 6 mortals from the breath attack is awsome, so is the - 2 rend on the Lance and his +1 to hit and wound on all the attacks is great. He is a mortal wound/rend hammer that death lists need, the VLoZD is never a reliable damage dealer for me. I'll pay the 40pts extra so I can be assured that vhordrai will do what I always want the VLoZD to do(but usually doesn't) 

Can´t talk about the VLoZD effectiveness by myself (I´m just starting my Death Army :-) ) but people here seem to be very confident about him specially now with LoB out there. Has you used LoB and still find the generic VLoZD not worth of his points value, or didn´t you have the chance  yet? 

I still find Vhordrai very reasonable point´s wise at first, but again, I didn´t used him yet xD

For my LoB amry I plan to run Prince and the Generic. Generic is of course the warlord since he can gain the artifacts and traits. Prince is just there to run around murdering. Gives 2 major threats. Rest is units of blood knights and some batswarms to help vs shooting armies.

If you can only take 1, Generic is 100% always better as the slight boosts from named guys never are worth the cost or the customization.

20 hours ago, GorbadIronClaw said:

Can´t talk about the VLoZD effectiveness by myself (I´m just starting my Death Army :-) ) but people here seem to be very confident about him specially now with LoB out there. Has you used LoB and still find the generic VLoZD not worth of his points value, or didn´t you have the chance  yet? 

I still find Vhordrai very reasonable point´s wise at first, but again, I didn´t used him yet xD

I've used the VLoZD a lot and he can be very choppy when you use his command ability to reroll all hits on himself, with out it he flops about half the time in combat (I don't run numbers, I just go by what I've played). He has minimal rend and a minus 1 to hit (which nearly every army has access to) pretty much negates the dragon attacks. The breath attack is nice with rend 3 but it's d6 damage while vhordrais breath attack is a flat 6 mortal wounds. Rend 3 is nice but with Idoneth coming out and storm cast 2up rerolling 1 armor saves mortal wounds are essential. They both have the exact same defensive capabilities (which is great bc they're tanks) so there is no compromise there. I also don't run LoB bc it doesn't seem very competitive to me, perhaps in fun lists. The out flanking in LoN is dope. So is the +1 to cast in LoS. I don't have nagash so haven't tried the 1st cohort. 

vhodrai is best served as a YOLO or support entity. He wouldn’t make a great general in my eyes, but I could see him and the palanquinn would make some good synergy togeather.

i think he’s a beefier killing machine than the VLoZD, but that’s just my take.  Let’s not forget his breath attack. 6 mortal wounds, flat. Just insane. I love it.

Im running vhodrai in my 2K GHoN list come Monday, running him up the flank with 4 morghast will make a devastating ?. As for my general it will be a flying horror VL.

If you take a VLOZD in a legion of blood list every melee weapon in its profile gets the +1 attack due to " favored retainers" correct?

so thats +1 attack to the vampires death lance/sword and +1 attack to the dragons Maw and Claws?

Or is it just +1 attack to the vampires death lance/sword

4 minutes ago, Dracothjay said:

Jgregs, I’m also wondering if prince vhodrai’s QUICKBLOOD  spell just effects his lance only?

It definitely works for the dragon aswell. It's very specific Command traits and artifacts don't affect mounts, everything else does 

On 2-5-2018 at 7:17 PM, Jgregs said:

If you take a VLOZD in a legion of blood list every melee weapon in its profile gets the +1 attack due to " favored retainers" correct?

so thats +1 attack to the vampires death lance/sword and +1 attack to the dragons Maw and Claws?

Or is it just +1 attack to the vampires death lance/sword

Vhordrai isn't a vampire lord or did I miss something that makes him a VL? 

Archived