Pestilens Thread, tactics, builds, advice

James McPherson

3 hours ago, grungolah said:

Have you guys thought about how Verminlords will be summoned?  What point total could they count that would make summoning distinct from Nurgle, or will Pestilens just be expected to bring Gnarlmaws?  That doesn't feel very ratty.

I could see it being hooked to the prayer ability somehow...maybe after getting a certain amount of successful prayers, you get to summon something?

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, grungolah said:

Have you guys thought about how Verminlords will be summoned?  What point total could they count that would make summoning distinct from Nurgle, or will Pestilens just be expected to bring Gnarlmaws?  That doesn't feel very ratty.

That summoning in preview was referring to screaming bell summon (when you roll 12 from screaming bell table you get free verminlord). Pestilens is likely not going to get its own summoning mechanic (however they will likely get separate preview since that original skaven preview mentioned neither skyre nor pestilens). 

Had a 1k game today using the new rules we have available so far, as previewed on the rules index on warhammer community.

Fought versus my recurring Seraphon opponent, who was using a list I barely won against during a recent tournament, and then only by repeadeately utilizing the sneakiest tactics I could think of; with only 6 clanrats remaining. 

Turns out new-edition Pestilens is notably stronger than that :o I killed almost all of his stuff, with a large portion of my army still standing.

My list:

Plague Furnace: Verminous valour, Liber bubonicus

Plague priest: The cyst thingy

40 plague monks, 40 plague monks, 20 plague monks

battalion: pestilent clawpack (80 pts)

His list:

Astrolith bearer, Skink priest, Bastiladon, Troglodon, Skink handlers, 2x Salamanders, 3x10 skinks.

Notes:

- 'Look out sir!' Combined with 'Verminous Valour' on the furnace made it incredibly tanky, so I played it very offensively. 

- The new command abilities were incredibly useful; inspiring presence and the reactive re-roll to charge being exceptional. Those alone have upped Skaven viability significantly. Good use of resources allow you to make moves you would never dare do before.

- the new pile-in rules felt really smooth. I was worried, but it was a joy to play.

- Didn't have any spellcasters, so no unbinding, but the new mystic shield is great. His bastiladon was actually killable (with a lot of effort) now!

- Pestilent clawpack is amazing. Use it!

- The new shooting rules also feel very smooth. I managed to lock down his Bastiladon and Salamanders early through some crafty maneuvering, which forced my opponent to figure out how to free them up, and in which order. This particular aspect of the game will be incredibly important going forward. Getting nearby units involved in a fight by piling near them is now a meaninful choice if they're able to shoot. Slap a rabid fever on the unit locking them down, and you've got yourself a winner ;)

- All in all, the new edition (so far) feels great. I had more fun than I've had in quite a while, and I think pestilens is in a potential solid spot. We'll see how things look after the handbook comes out!

1 hour ago, tolstedt said:

I don't think you can get look out sir on the furnace. 

I also think the pestilent clawpack is not legal in match play.  It does not have a points cost in GHB or scrollbuilder.

The furnace is not a monster, which is what denies a 'look out sir' - Unless I've overlooked something ;) So yes, it does. 

All the clawpacks have received point values in the azyr scrollbuilder (80 points each) making them playable, as what denied them previously was their lack of a point value. 

At the very least, playable outside of hardcore tournaments ;)

1 hour ago, Mayple said:

The furnace is not a monster, which is what denies a 'look out sir' - Unless I've overlooked something ;) So yes, it does. 

All the clawpacks have received point values in the azyr scrollbuilder (80 points each) making them playable, as what denied them previously was their lack of a point value. 

At the very least, playable outside of hardcore tournaments ;)

My mistake, I thought behemoth stopped look out sir as well. 

I wouldn't be surprised if that was in the 2.0 rules.

The clawpack is amazing, I'm going to run it.  You're taking all that stuff anyway!

But as long as it has a point value, it should be fine, no? Does it say anywhere that it needs to be written in the general's handbook? Genuinely curious about the wording on that, because right now, we -do- have a point value for it, which we did not before.

1 hour ago, Umjammerlama said:

Just seen that Plague Monks have had a small boost.  Saves of - are now 7+ and can be improved by the effects of cover etc.  Better than last edition that it couldn't be improved not matter what.

I'll admit, I thought it already worked that way :o

On 6/18/2018 at 1:09 AM, Mayple said:

But as long as it has a point value, it should be fine, no? Does it say anywhere that it needs to be written in the general's handbook? Genuinely curious about the wording on that, because right now, we -do- have a point value for it, which we did not before.

The Pitched Battle Profil has to be written in the latest Generals Handbook or other content released after (Battletome, Campaign Booklet, Compendium).

The clawpacks were in the first Compendium, but removed in the later one, that was released with the Generals Handbook 2017. The points we see in the App are the points of the first Generals Handbook. They forgot to remove the compendium battalions in the app.

1 hour ago, Mayple said:

I'll admit, I thought it already worked that way :o

The point that a save of "-" counts a a role of 7 was reintroduced with the 8 edition of 40k. In the first edition of AoS a Save of "-" automaticly failed without rolling a dice do to the "Hints & Tips".

Archived