Age of Sigmar EXPLAINED (by an australian)

Majorkill18

34 minutes ago, Killax said:

Its funny and covers quite a bit too.

What are you even talking about? it only cover mighty battles and does it badly at that, mixing up cronology quite often saying Malekith fused with the dragon and other stuff.  And let's not forget it's not including ANYTHING of the newly expanded stuff (like how tzeentch meddled in the whole slaanesh affair.) or goes beyond second 1 explained in book 1.

It's ... it's just bad.

36 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

What are you even talking about? it only cover mighty battles and does it badly at that, mixing up cronology quite often saying Malekith fused with the dragon and other stuff.  And let's not forget it's not including ANYTHING of the newly expanded stuff (like how tzeentch meddled in the whole slaanesh affair.) or goes beyond second 1 explained in book 1.

It's ... it's just bad.

The point of these australian reviews is to be like this. It gets the story across from a point of view that most certainly isn't correct. It's also not attempting to getting it correct.  Videos like this are designed to be a humorous piece, not a carbon copy of a story that is in a book or a read up of stuff that's on wikia page.

Edit: However I get that humour is a very subjective thing and that some can't laugh about this type of content at all. Would also say that a strong language warning would be at place here. :) 

1 hour ago, Killax said:

The point of these australian reviews is to be like this. It gets the story across from a point of view that most certainly isn't correct. It's also not attempting to getting it correct.  Videos like this are designed to be a humorous piece, not a carbon copy of a story that is in a book or a read up of stuff that's on wikia page.

Edit: However I get that humour is a very subjective thing and that some can't laugh about this type of content at all. Would also say that a strong language warning would be at place here. :) 

The only problem with this kind of video is the current state of the wider wargaming & GW community regarding AOS. The hatred / contempt towards the game comes IMO from two things (beside the WFB resentment,  the Stormcast / Khorne releases overload, and the "silly rules ; no points" problem) : ignorance and misconception of the background.

Some people still think the lore is flat, bad, uninspired, or don't bother to read it at all. Because it's true, the background is not really "accessible" (i.e. I don't mean it's hard to understand, I mean it's hard to "find" proper books that give a general vision of it - the AOS Skirmish book is in this way particularly good).

And in a way, that was the only "valid" criticism I had at the AOS launch ; the lack of world-building (like the 40k indexes, the 4 Grand alliances books should have come at launch, the main Book should have had a true timeline and a better explanation of the nature of the Eight realms, etc.).

But then I knew it would be expanded very soon - the Mortal realms have so much potential - so I stayed hopeful (and in only one year that's exactly what happened ; with the end of the Realmgate wars and the Season of war). Now we have great background, better fleshed-out, and still more potential !

But the lack of a widespread, common knowledge of the fluff is still a big problem IMO. (The guys at Lexicanum are doing a great job. But then, even their wiki is still named "wfb.lexicanum"....)

So this Australian guy is really NOT helping :P 

TL;DR : I would have NO problem with this kind of video if AOS was a well-known, established setting. It's not the case for now, I'm sure it will steadily change - the game is only 2-3 years old. But really, GW should do something about this, like they did for the rules with the excellent "Three ways to play" concept (so great it even shapes the current 40k edition !).... Surely, the rumored / educated-guessed AOS website coming with Malign portents will help in that way !

I mean, everyone expects a world/universe as detailed and varied in depth etc as the old WHFB world and 40k.. what they don't do is treat AoS as a new game... what did WHFB or 40k have at launch? the worlds were tiny if at all established. 

you cant have everything from the word go. it takes time to build up, more so when its community-driven such as the global campaign last year.

Well I don't see this as a hate video towards AoS, it covers enough of the lore in broad strokes that it doesn't cover incorrect information. For sure the time process of the story might be incorrect but again board strokes are still more informative as just bashing AoS for it's designs (something which it doesn't really do, it's just explaining things in what the creator thinks is humorous).

Hate for game systems (ANY) has always been around and never really dissapears.
It's not the creator or any fanbase of WFB or AoS who pulled the plug on the WFB system. What many for whatever reason still do not understand is that not every game has a lifespan of 25+ years at all. The fact that WFB excisted for that long was very unique to begin with. I see little to no complaints on several other game forums displaying the same longing for a return of a game that went out of production. The reason for WFB's cease to excist is still not clearly known to us because Games Workshop hasn't really covered in detail why they chose this. We all can make assumptions that it has something to do with the sales but those are just assumptions.

Every new game that is created and every new edition that comes just somehow is viewed in a negative way. I will tell you that the fanbase of Games Workshop always has reacted like this to anything new. From going to 5th to 6th edition (way back when internet was still dial in here) to the most recent 8th edition of 40K or even the new Shadespire game. Everytime something is created fans will enjoy it and fans who do not spend time to make posts or articles about it. So far I can only say that those who speak out in a positive way have as much right to do it as those who speak out in a negative way.

Games Workshop remains a compagny and games need to sell.
If a game sells well enough but a system gets old or could really use an update usually new editions are brought forward. If several editions do not realize enough new interest a game might dissapear. It's no different in cardgames (wowtcg was great but there was very little interest), boardgames and yes miniature games too (oh so many miniature games from the past are just gone, best example is Rackham's game, which didn't lack good rules or models). 

So for those who currently still hate on AoS because they lost WFB I just feel sorry for them. It's been almost 3 years now and in reality AoS is a better system as WFB was. For those who really like the blocked, scenery-low, magic-crazy systems there is still enough to please you.

AoS same as 40K will have hate stacked against it either way, wether it's because wolf skins are modeled on miniatures, Space Marines lack female Marines or Stormcast being golden golems. 

This is an entertaining video and I doubt the intend was ever be to be correct and informative. For in order to be that it should adress all the characters, races and genders correctly. Which it doesn't but that's also the joke about it.

7 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

I mean, everyone expects a world/universe as detailed and varied in depth etc as the old WHFB world and 40k.. what they don't do is treat AoS as a new game... what did WHFB or 40k have at launch? the worlds were tiny if at all established. 

you cant have everything from the word go. it takes time to build up, more so when its community-driven such as the global campaign last year.

Absolutely.

But if they are just marked as "haters" then the loop of misinformation and un-informed potential fans just goes round and round.

What I find interesting is that some are still shocked by this type of content. Way back when D&D was the nerd-hype do you think several players of that system did not hate against Magic the Gathering and Warhammer essentially copying that and using a cardboard or metal miniature medium to essentially do-over D&D?

As before, there will always be some part of some community who doesn't like A or B. To give another example, some people "hate" spamming units while some armies only have one Battleline unit to begin with. So if you "hate" spamming surely a whole lot of armies are "hated". All the while spamming units has been part of any Games Workshop system because it gives the largest ammount of army customisation which then leads to pushing through with powerful units multiple times to get that power across.

TLDR; a lot of people don't know what they are talking about but hating on all of them leads to nowhere.

On 12/13/2017 at 4:29 PM, Ryan Taylor said:

It took him 6hrs to make. I responded with maybe you shouldn't have taken a  nap during that time so your info would be more up to date? He replied Salty... Not sure what means. 

He seems... a bit crossed with AoS

+++ Mod Edit +++

No Swearing! Come on please use some common sense! Points issued!!! >:(

The thing I find really funny about the people who really are still upset by the Old World's story coming to an end and see AoS as a poor replacement for WFB is that all it took for them to stop playing this game that they supposedly felt so strongly about was for GW to stop making more of it.

The game is still there. You can still play it. All the lore and a lot of the source material and miniatures are still readily available even. 

I can see why the tournament scene would have to drop it because it would need regular updates to keep it fresh but people who just love the game or the setting or both have no reason to stop playing it.

Maybe it's just tournament players who have been doing all the moaning for the last 2 1/2 years. Actually it was tournament players who were doing all the moaning before that too :D :P

7 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Maybe it's just tournament players who have been doing all the moaning for the last 2 1/2 years. Actually it was tournament players who were doing all the moaning before that too :D :P

I am afraid you are completely right which is quite characterizing those players. 

7 hours ago, HorseOnABeachBall said:

AoS has lore?

And an amazing one I'd add.

14 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

And an amazing one I'd add.

Agreed - the AoS lore is really cool. I get why some people are struggling with it because its on such a huge scale but the scope and the possibilities that provides can only be good for the future of the setting and the game.

That said i'm really enjoying the content which is bringing things down to a smaller, more easy to relate to, scale. I have just started reading some of the Black Library stuff for AoS. I finished Plague Garden and I'm about to start City of Sectrets this weekend. The books are really helping me get a feel for the setting and some of the factions. Plague Garden is a really good insight into the SCE.

Absolutely, with all the different forms of fanatasy seen in the media nowadays displaying an epic fantasy story has been a rarity. Most fans don't even know why they like the fantasy sub-genre they like so much, but there is a massive difference between a historical fantasy story and epic fantasy saga. The latter is much more fantastical and I really don't mind it but it's important to know that Age of Sigmar does fit that setting.

For whatever reason though many gamers and or fans also mix up the narrative with game contents quite often. Not all narrative is ****** written to have a massive impact on the larger story or game. What's more important to realize though is that in the Games Workshop business the model and game are the forefront and because of that several stories will have to include a redo of certain models that where also part of Warhammer Fantasy's line.

The funny thing though is that even for a historical fantasy setting Warhammer Fantasy had a lot of epic fantasy designs incorporated into it aswell, which was mainly the focus on Chaos but at the same time the end of WFB also showed that the Chaos lines where the most popular. I think because of that GW decided to pull the foot out of the historical fantasy design. The sub-genre sells extremely well for books (Game of Thrones/Lord of the Rings) but much less so as a game and the two most certainly arn't the same and cannot rely on the exact same story build up either.

Having said this though I feel many potential fans will reconsider their opinion of Age of Sigmar as soon as they realize that it's an epic fantasy saga and thus fantasy settings are turned up to 11. If you expect a historical fantasy setting like WFB was you might not like it but AoS is not breaking any known format for genres it's just a different one as WFB fans where used to.

2 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

The books are really helping me get a feel for the setting and some of the factions. Plague Garden is a really good insight into the SCE.

Well, the Garden I have not read yet, but the City of Secrets rocks! I was fascinated. You will like it too as much, I am sure :)

32 minutes ago, Killax said:

Having said this though I feel many potential fans will reconsider their opinion of Age of Sigmar as soon as they realize that it's an epic fantasy saga and thus fantasy settings are turned up to 11. If you expect a historical fantasy setting like WFB was you might not like it but AoS is not breaking any known format for genres it's just a different one as WFB fans where used to.

You nailed it. But I doubt all those people who are strongly against the Age of Sigmar will listen. 

Ok. I've had a think about what to do with this thread as I'm hoping it's a parody video but if I'm honest it's not really what we want on this forum. Now before people start protesting, I just want to point out something - This is 'THE' Age of Sigmar forum on the internet. In searches it's the top ones and any new players to the game and do you really want new players to see a video like this? 

I have nothing against people having a laugh and a joke with the lore and names of things, but this video does come across as both a parody and a ranty moany person. 

So very simply, I'm locking this thread and I've removed the link to the video. We want everybody to have fun

Archived