Age of Sigmar Table Top Role Playing Game

kor

5 minutes ago, Trout said:

I have major issues with the setting of AOS as an RPG, primarily because of the existence of Stormcast Eternals. Stormcast Eternals are too inhuman to be fun to roleplay as and are too strong compared to all the other race options. Playing as a Stormcast would be boring and playing as anything else would be like playing a regular cop in a NYC that features The Avengers; the most you could ever aspire to is to handle all the things not serious enough for the big guys to handle.

A good GM could handle this by simply making Stormcasts so rare that many consider them a legend and banning their use as player characters; but there's always going to be some guy in the group who really wants to be a Stormcast.

What makes you think the rules would let you play as a stormcast eternal in an AoS RPG system? WFRP didn't let you play as a chaos warrior or empire knight. The stormcast are warriors fighting for sigmar, not adventurers.

2 minutes ago, KnightFire said:

What makes you think you could play as a stormcast eternal in an AoS RPG system? WFRP didn't let you play as a chaos warrior or empire knight. The stormcast are warriors fighting for sigmar, not adventurers.

It would be less bad if that weren't an option.

On 5/26/2017 at 2:20 PM, Trout said:

I have major issues with the setting of AOS as an RPG, primarily because of the existence of Stormcast Eternals. Stormcast Eternals are too inhuman to be fun to roleplay as and are too strong compared to all the other race options. Playing as a Stormcast would be boring and playing as anything else would be like playing a regular cop in a NYC that features The Avengers; the most you could ever aspire to is to handle all the things not serious enough for the big guys to handle.

A good GM could handle this by simply making Stormcasts so rare that many consider them a legend and banning their use as player characters; but there's always going to be some guy in the group who really wants to be a Stormcast.

*looks at the deathwatch roleplaying game*

As someone said most likely we will not be playing as them but stormcasts are not invincible walking demi gods they get killed by simple skeletons, their power levels are on that of chaos warriors. 

Also stormcasts are far from inhuman they are far more human than space marines some of them hang out with their families(descendants) when not fighting. 

Fantasy RPGs can be about anything, it's what makes them fantastical.

Personally I think roleplaying Stormcast would be really interesting! A lot of RPGs really struggle with presenting combat as a real threat to the party but not too much of a threat, because killing PCs can be a negative experience (roll up a new character, player losing something they're attached to with potentially no real say in the matter). However with Stormcast protagonists you can use their immortality to present a more brutal kind of combat that sidesteps those potential negatives, and adds a layer of extra roleplaying material as Stormcast that die slowly lose their personality, and their humanity.

On 5/26/2017 at 3:25 PM, shinros said:

*looks at the deathwatch roleplaying game*

As someone said most likely we will not be playing as them but stormcasts are not invincible walking demi gods they get killed by simple skeletons, they power levels are on that of chaos warriors. 

Also stormcasts are far from inhuman they are far more human than space marines some of them hang out with their families(descendants) when not fighting. 

Agreed. Just look and Black Crusade, you can be cultists or space marines. And these are Legionnaire original marines. It works. Depends on GM.

All in all I really like this altough Im unlikely to play it. I like this because of the narrative that will be created for it and thus expand our knowledge of the AoS universe. I will not likely play it because Im simply said more of a miniatures guy as a RPG guy. I like RPG's but I guess I'm not good enough of an actor to make it an amazing experience. Rolling dice and cracking my own jokes is pretty much all Im good for :( 

Great stuff though! I believe those who like narrative based Open play and just Narrative play without technical restrictions will love this!

3 hours ago, TheAntsAreBack said:

It's a simple enough matter to run a storyline where the players have zero contact with any Stormcast. Just because they feature in the tabletop battle game doesn't mean they have to feature in all stories of the Mortal Realms.

Secodining on that, though GW puts them almost in all stories, sadly.

According to an acquaintance of mine they aren't entirely decided on how to tackle the setting but they think they will make a fallout style kind of game: survivors of the age of chaos going out to explore. I suppose this will be very early in the age of Sigmar, either during the God-beasts book, when they start making more frequent contact with humans or right after the Realmgate Wars and the Season of War are over and everything is springing anew.

Also, we might be ending up stealing (or trying to) a Kharadron Airship.

If I'm running a game where the players are normal mortals then any stormcast encountered are going to be very dangerous.  Veterans rendered nearly inhuman by being reforged too many times who see chaos everywhere they look.  Everyone will have someone they know that was executed in one of their purges.

3 hours ago, Nin Win said:

If I'm running a game where the players are normal mortals then any stormcast encountered are going to be very dangerous.  Veterans rendered nearly inhuman by being reforged too many times who see chaos everywhere they look.  Everyone will have someone they know that was executed in one of their purges.

Stormcasts don't have to be mad for normal people to stay out of their way. In the Gates of Azyr nomads running away from Bloodbound automatically assume that SCE are demons and I think that even individuals who know a lot about Chaos would take Sigmar's chosen for new faction of Ruinous Powers' worshipers.

2 hours ago, Nin Win said:

I find playing against type works better than asking players who know that the stormcast are the "good guys" to pretend that they are not.

Arguably although roleplaying in general requires this kind of pretending as PCs would be naturally unaware of many facts about the world. I mean seriously there is no excuse for metagaming- if a character haven't ever heard of hydras, Kharadron Overlords or Stormcast Eternals players should play out the encounter  accordingly.

I don't really buy into the whole anti-metagaming approach to RPGs.  Players are free to use whatever information they come to the table with to make decisions and I trust them to use their knowledge for the enjoyment of everyone.  In many cases metagaming can be a very good thing because it enables players to act appropriately for a situation.  There is simply no objective basis for what character could or could not potentially know, so I prefer the players to make that decision for themselves.  They can play out the encounter with Kharadron or Stormcast as they see fit and we'll make it work.

I find if I want to have players get an experience of the unknown, it's best if they simply don't know what it is they are dealing with.   So playing against type definitely works better for me than asking people to not know what they know with all sorts of "shoulds" on how they play.  If they play out an interaction with some Kharadron based on what they know from reading the Battletome for their army, It's totally okay by me.  They obviously have either heard about them or interacted with them in the past, so no big deal.

I am very excited about this. 

So much of the Old World was actually explored through the original WFRP rather than WFB itself.  Until WFRP was launched the Warhammer World felt very much like a fantasy knockoff blending Tolkien and Moorcock, WFRP added the grit and grime it would then become known for.  Hopefully this will do exactly the same for the Age of Sigmar setting.

Interestingly, WFB first appeared in 1983 with WFRP following in 1986.  AoS launched 2015 and this is scheduled for 2018.  3 years may be the gem!

Archived