Age of Sigmar Table Top Role Playing Game

kor

Hey all,

I just saw this line in the latest Warhammer Community site update concerning Warhammer Fest (https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/19/try-something-different-licensed-products-at-warhammer-fest/):

Discover the future of Games Workshop related table-top roleplay games

Well - what are people thoughts around here regarding a fresh RPG set in the AoS setting ?

For me I'd love to see something completely new developed either in-house or in partnership with Modiphius.

Hope we can play characters/professions from any Grand Alliance and most of all I hope to see more "regular people" eye-level lore of the setting.

This is a really cool idea! I do think that a AoS RPG would be fantastic, granted I'd also hope to see more fleshed out rules and Narrative for that. Though it's really just a matter of combining things and thaking inspiration from older Warhammer RPGs. 

Long story short, hope it will come!

I think the potential is super high for a great RPG series. Its a great setting to do so because literally anything is possible. Stories like a group of adventuring sylvaneth stealing back a seed pod that was taken by a kharadron sky vessel, or a mish mash of mercenaries taking on a silver tower, to an order of azyr made up of humans aelves, and duardin investigating a mysterious disappearance of a noble king in shyish. Endless possibilities. 

Yep. Since GW license ended with FFG who made all the Warhammer (Fantasy and Horus) rpg games, I assumed that GW would eventually look at making it themselves... especially the positive reviews that I've read on them.

- Cedric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Cubicle 7 has the rights to the Rpg on the fantasy side -they have supposedly done amazing work with the LoTR rpg adaptation - all the sites i've been to gush all about them. 

Seems like we might be in good hands. Until then I'm just gonna use 5th ed DnD.

I'd love to get a decent RPG system for the Age of Sigmar setting, heck, even a detailed background the setting itself would be a big boost.

That said, I'm not too unhappy with the way Warhammer Quest actually players, and think with a little bit of work, becomes a practical, RPG-lite system, so all we'd need is a decent setting book, some new dungeon tiles and a bestiary to get going.

On 5/22/2017 at 6:44 PM, TarsisMemoris said:

Cubicle 7 has the rights to the Rpg on the fantasy side -they have supposedly done amazing work with the LoTR rpg adaptation - all the sites i've been to gush all about them. 

Seems like we might be in good hands. Until then I'm just gonna use 5th ed DnD.

http://cubicle7.co.uk/cubicle-7-and-games-workshop-announce-new-edition-of-warhammer-fantasy-roleplay/

Looks like it's going to be set in the old world, unfortunately. GW seem hesitant to hand out the AoS licence to outside companies whilst they're still trying to forge their own narrative!

It's a shame because an AoS RPG could be really cool (and also the grog-bait namedropping of 1st and 2nd ed WHFRP - I liked FFG's 3rd ed!!)

8 hours ago, flowerpot_chimp said:

http://cubicle7.co.uk/cubicle-7-and-games-workshop-announce-new-edition-of-warhammer-fantasy-roleplay/

Looks like it's going to be set in the old world, unfortunately. GW seem hesitant to hand out the AoS licence to outside companies whilst they're still trying to forge their own narrative!

It's a shame because an AoS RPG could be really cool (and also the grog-bait namedropping of 1st and 2nd ed WHFRP - I liked FFG's 3rd ed!!)

Curiously enough they've said "no comment" when asked about them handling the other warhammers. So either they aren't or they can't spill the beans on everything and were given the "least important" choice to spill out.

14 hours ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

Curiously enough they've said "no comment" when asked about them handling the other warhammers. So either they aren't or they can't spill the beans on everything and were given the "least important" choice to spill out.

I think it's quite telling that GW are handing out licences like candy to anyone who wants to accept their terms, with no real regard to product quality or how old/defunct the IP is (Man O War, Necromunda, End Times, Dawn of War etc) EXCEPT for Age of Sigmar, where they've kept it all in house so far iirc? 

I think this speaks to them wanting to keep tight control over the direction of AoS, at least whilst they're establishing it as a setting. I'd imagine we see multiple 40k RPGs before anything AoS unless GW did it in-house (which I'd love to see!)

16 hours ago, Killax said:

:D The time before Chaos and right as Chaos starts to invade it. 

Thats not the same as the age of chaos though, which is an age that happened in the mortal realms following the age of myth, and which ended with sigmar opening the realmgates and the age of sigmar beginning. Its not at all the same setting as WHFRP, which is set in the old world.

13 minutes ago, KnightFire said:

Thats not the same as the age of chaos though, which is an age that happened in the mortal realms following the age of myth, and which ended with sigmar opening the realmgates and the age of sigmar beginning. Its not at all the same setting as WHFRP, which is set in the old world.

I'm not saying that eiter. There is a lot of space between the time before Age of Chaos, most of that space is covered by WFB. 

What I am suggesting is that I believe an Age of Sigmar RPG should present itself in the Age of Sigmar because it's called that way ;) 

3 minutes ago, Killax said:

I'm not saying that eiter. There is a lot of space between the time before Age of Chaos, most of that space is covered by WFB. 

What I am suggesting is that I believe an Age of Sigmar RPG should present itself in the Age of Sigmar because it's called that way ;) 

I agree that it would be best to set an RPG in the age of sigmar, if it was going to be an RPG, and in particular, in the "current" times of AoS, where there are now setlements, civilisation, politics etc (and where khorne is crying in a hole somewhere).

WFB doesnt cover the timeline before the Age of Chaos though, the Age of Myth came before the age of chaos (and would also make a good setting for an RPG, or for a "30k" equivalent for fantasy) and before the age of myth was an un-named (as far as I know) age between the shattering of the old world and sigmar forging the alliance that started the age of myth. 

WFB was set in the old world, a very very long time before the start of the age of myth, and covers a tiny timespan compared to any of the ages in the current lore. 

I have major issues with the setting of AOS as an RPG, primarily because of the existence of Stormcast Eternals. Stormcast Eternals are too inhuman to be fun to roleplay as and are too strong compared to all the other race options. Playing as a Stormcast would be boring and playing as anything else would be like playing a regular cop in a NYC that features The Avengers; the most you could ever aspire to is to handle all the things not serious enough for the big guys to handle.

A good GM could handle this by simply making Stormcasts so rare that many consider them a legend and banning their use as player characters; but there's always going to be some guy in the group who really wants to be a Stormcast.

Archived