Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We know that there are Pestigors made (Lady Atia has confirmed this) we just don't know what they are for.  She was confused as to why they weren't revealed, so the speculation is that they are for Bloodbowl or something else.  I was really hoping for them for AOS, but was not to be.

Since Pestigors have been mentioned and probably aren't coming to AoS in the immediate future, I'm going to go with my alternate plan to ally some beastmen and Nurgle them up a bit as sort of pestigor stand ins. So I have Bestigors, Gors and Ungors as options. From a hobby stand point, gors and ungors look like they'll be the easier and better conversion(basically smashing a box of one with a box of poxwalkers and a little green stuff) and I also like that they're cheap since they're almost entirely decorative.

As much as I'd like to see Pestigor models I don't mind them not being part of the Maggotkin release. I like that they are keeping the Chaos powers feeling a little more distinct than they used to be (with Slaves providing the 'classic' options) and without the need for everyone to get not-marauders etc.

2 hours ago, Rumblefish said:

As much as I'd like to see Pestigor models I don't mind them not being part of the Maggotkin release. I like that they are keeping the Chaos powers feeling a little more distinct than they used to be (with Slaves providing the 'classic' options) and without the need for everyone to get not-marauders etc.

I tottally agree. Never before has the chaos gods been so distinct and unique from each other. Thats very cool. However from how I understand the Gnarlmaw Blighttree it might make sense to have a cheap unit hangout near one to grind contagion points. So that could be the reason for  kitbashing pestigors. Personally if this does make sense I will build a bunch of marauders from poxwalkers. 

7 hours ago, wayniac said:

We know that there are Pestigors made (Lady Atia has confirmed this) we just don't know what they are for.  She was confused as to why they weren't revealed, so the speculation is that they are for Bloodbowl or something else.  I was really hoping for them for AOS, but was not to be.

Here's an interesting hope - that Pestigors are part of a new Warhammer Quest boxed set, along with new Death skeletons and heroes. It would tie in well with Malign Portents and both fill in Death while finishing the fleshing out of Nurgle. The Heralds could add hero spice.

I think the stuff Nurgle have now is pretty cool. I like that it's stuff directly from Nurgle if you know what I mean.

I think Slaves to Darkness could be redone in the future as a mixed "touched by Chaos" pool of units and so on.

So like the rotbringer models then ofc demons, those are all primary nurgle (in my eyes). Then there is a whole host of the mortals who'd fit into 'touched/contaminated/blessed by Nurgle' - things like marauders, pestigors and such.

3 hours ago, Rumblefish said:

I don't think with no Pestigors released now that we will not see them in AoS for a long time. Although hopefully they will appear in Shadespire.

52 minutes ago, MacDuff said:

Here's an interesting hope - that Pestigors are part of a new Warhammer Quest boxed set, along with new Death skeletons and heroes. It would tie in well with Malign Portents and both fill in Death while finishing the fleshing out of Nurgle. The Heralds could add hero spice.

That would be cool too.

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

I don't think with no Pestigors released now that we will not see them in AoS for a long time. Although hopefully they will appear in Shadespire.

That would be cool too.

2 hours ago, MacDuff said:

The idea of Pestigors in a Warhammer Quest set is great. And Tonhels mention of Shadespire just made me think - What about mixing those things?

Have the next Warhammer Quest game be set in Shadespire. Since Malign Portents tells us that all Grand Alliances are going to clash in Shyish, maybe the WHQ game could involve Order heroes fighting both Chaos (Pestigors) and Death (new death models)? :-)

Actually it would be a neat tie-in with Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire, that could let you use the warbands in the WHQ game.

43 minutes ago, Hightime said:

Reading all the rumors so far,  would I be correct in thinking we get one tree to set up in the deployment phase. Then If we take Hortilux Slimux, we can set up another tree for free?

I think Horty's one is in the Hero phase, but yes one tree is free during deployment.

1 hour ago, wayniac said:

I think Horty's one is in the Hero phase, but yes one tree is free during deployment.

And horticulous' tree is within 3" of him. But you can also earn "contagion points" via different ways that haven't been fully fleshed (heh) out yet..which you can spend to drop down more trees. That's why my day one buy is tome, two trees, and lord of blights. Since I have 4 GUO (1 FW, 2 old sculpts and one second edition model) , I will wait one him for now due to high price tag. 

Edit: Have they announced a pre-order date? I saw rumors that said the 6th.. but nothing official. Also the warhammer community post that announced "next week" as the pre-order time frame. That post was last Sunday 12/31/2017... here it is Friday morning and still no word. 

42 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Edit: Have they announced a pre-order date? I saw rumors that said the 6th.. but nothing official. Also the warhammer community post that announced "next week" as the pre-order time frame. That post was last Sunday 12/31/2017... here it is Friday morning and still no word. 

Releases and pre-orders are always up on saturdays. So I presume that we'll be able to pre-order the first batch of this Nurgle release tomorrow. Next pre-order being the following saturday the 13th.

On the the community site I believe it said the GUO, the new heralds, the Blight Tree and the Battletome go on pre-order tomorrow.  On that note I wonder what we’ll get as the pre-order freebie tomorrow? I’m guessing a set of Nurgle spell cards or could it be the Wheel of Coruption from Blight War?

3 minutes ago, Percivael said:

On the the community site I believe it said the GUO, the new heralds, the Blight Tree and the Battletome go on pre-order tomorrow.  On that note I wonder what we’ll get as the pre-order freebie tomorrow? I’m guessing a set of Nurgle spell cards or could it be the Wheel of Coruption from Blight War?

I think cards for the Contagion Points Table, was the case for Khorne's Blood Tithe points too :) 

This way, with the Blightwar wheel and cards your basically set for all the administration you've got to do ;) 

15 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

Looks like Maggotkin of Nurgle is official on the GW site as a category, of course it may have been for a couple days and I just hadn't noticed it yet.

No that's just up since you said it. It was gone for a brief moment. You could still find the models and stuff.

Let's check tomorrow too if they have updated their Warscroll downloads. GW was really quick with the BoK stuff too.

Edit: For those concerned, the following is listed under it and to me this is a confirmation that they will be in the Battletome too.

- regular Herald of Nurgle (now only available through Start collecting but this occured before)
- Plaguebearers
- Plague Drones
- Horticulous (Blightwar)
- Epidemius

- Glottkin
- Blightkings
- Harbinger of Decay
- Gutrot
- Sorcerer
- Lord of Plagues
- Maggot Lord box (3 special characters)
- Festus the Leechlord

So as before, Nurgle for certain will have the most Named Characters in their Battletome :P 

11 minutes ago, smucreo said:

Can't wait to get the Battletome! Theorycrafting and list building in general is my favourite part of the hobby, specially when there is new stuff and you have to see how it all fits together.

Yeah if you want to have a good indication of how armies will likely pan out just check DoT and BoK.

What really makes Nurgle unique between his brothers is the Blight Trees in my opinion. They are amazing pieces and while Nurgle isn't as strong in Magic as Tzeentch or as choppy as Khorne the board manipulation found here is an amazing aspect to the game. It's so good that the game itself could even consider it for every army.

With this in mind though there is also an expected rough sketch for their competitive limitations. However the most important thing is to have fun, create and explore what you want to :) 

Yeah, the cool thing about trees is that one of my friends plays Sylvaneth, so games between us will surely end with the battlefield swamped with scenery. Board manipulation is a nice complement for an army bent on corrupting the land around them, it fits.

5 minutes ago, smucreo said:

Yeah, the cool thing about trees is that one of my friends plays Sylvaneth, so games between us will surely end with the battlefield swamped with scenery. Board manipulation is a nice complement for an army bent on corrupting the land around them, it fits.

Yeah it fits so extremely well that it only highlights how good the designers currently are at GW, or how much freedom they are granted. Because when we look into it, gardens of Nurgle where part of Nurgle armies since their inception. The whole idea is that Nurgle is continiously brewing something. But indeed plotting and fighting less as Tzeentch or Khorne. Long story short it's fantastic!

With this in mind the even cooler part is that most games will end up with two Trees, maby even more if you mix Horticulous in mix. Considering it's 7" effect bubble this makes for some awesome things.

Now from my perspective the only thing that's a bit odd is the surges of speed for Nurgle units but I'm sure it's explained in one way or another in the Maggotkin Battletome. As this part is actually very new and most of the time the focus was put on attrition. If anything I also wouldn't have expected Nurgle units to be capable of moving as fast as they can now :) But the same applies for the 40K tree. Gotta go fast!

Archived