20 Plague Monks

5 Chaos Knights

Khorne half of The starter set

1 Beast of nurgle

3 Plague drones

1 spoilpox herald

1 sloppity Herald

And thats All no blightkings or pussgoiles 

I know it would mean more models (and an expensive one at that!), but one other option is a second GUO and sloppity herald - fits perfectly points wise. One with a bell for instance would help boost everything else's movement for board control, while another with a balesword would add a lot of extra durable punch. Plus there's always Rotigus if you wanted more magic and suchlike. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking of GUO's, i'm painting one at the moment. A lot of work still to go, but i've got to say i was very impressed by both the kit itself (which went together quickly and easily), and the overall level of detail in it. It's also pretty fun to paint, and all the folds make drybrushing the initial skin very straightforward and with pretty reasonable results. It'll probably take another 4-5 days to finish it to a decent standard but as a model i do think it's worth the extra effort :)

IMG_20180404_060250.jpg

2 minutes ago, Amenhotep said:

Talking of GUO's, i'm painting one at the moment. A lot of work still to go, but i've got to say i was very impressed by both the kit itself (which went together quickly and easily), and the overall level of detail in it. It's also pretty fun to paint, and all the folds make drybrushing the initial skin very straightforward and with pretty reasonable results. It'll probably take another 4-5 days to finish it to a decent standard but as a model i do think it's worth the extra effort :)

IMG_20180404_060250.jpg

Lovely! Im Goin' to Paint It like That even Bell and bileblade seems Best configuration but sword and fail looks Perfect!

12 minutes ago, Amenhotep said:

One thing i've been wondering about with Maggotkin is the potential uses of the available allied contingent to shore up the last real remaining weakness of the list - that of ranged capability. It's made up for by the magic available to a degree, but against some armies (such as seraphon) you run a good chance of being pretty locked down for a good part of the game. 

Skaven seem the obvious choice if going down this route, and i was thinking that something like jezzails for instance would further enhance the factions character sniping capabilities, with a unit of 6 coming in at 280pts, and offering a good 30" range, good rend, and if stationery a 3+ to hit and wound with -2 rend and 2 damage, which on average should translate into 4-6 wounds a turn, which would be ideal for taking down support characters especially.  It does come with a degree of risk given the abject bravery though, so they could scarper after a bit of attention.

Alternately stormfiends with warpfire projectors looked pretty interesting - it's quite expensive for 3 models at 300pts, and short range (14" with move), but has the capability for 6d3  mortal wounds with no hit or wound rolls, making it very handy for dealing with  hammer units and stuff like treemen sitting in woods with arcane shields up, plus this damage output is on  a reasonably robust platform given the 6/7 wounds and 4+ armour save.  Bravery is ok too, so they're unlikely to run at least. 

Any thoughts? Or is this looking to fix an issue the faction perhaps doesn't really have that many problems with anyway?

Unfortunately Skyre isn’t an ally we can take. Shame cause it could be a fun option. 

1 hour ago, Amenhotep said:

Alternately stormfiends with warpfire projectors looked pretty interesting - it's quite expensive for 3 models at 300pts, and short range (14" with move), but has the capability for 6d3  mortal wounds with no hit or wound rolls, making it very handy for dealing with  hammer units and stuff like treemen sitting in woods with arcane shields up, plus this damage output is on  a reasonably robust platform given the 6/7 wounds and 4+ armour save.  Bravery is ok too, so they're unlikely to run at least. 

And they look good to boot! I've been tempted to run them in a Chaos army, alongside a Hellcanon for the mortal wound madness. 

They sure would bring easy mortal wounds, I never tested them so I dont know if they would fit in a Nurgle army though. If you bring enough other baddies, it might keep them alive long enough, it's just a shame they cant be nurgle marked to benefit from the rest of the buffs.

2 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Unfortunately Skyre isn’t an ally we can take. Shame cause it could be a fun option. 

Ah, that's a shame - i'd assumed since they were under the overall Chaos umbrella that they would be allowed, but come to think of it there's plenty of restrictions in Order so makes sense there'd be similar for everyone else i guess.

REPORT FROM THE FIELD:

Rematch against Daughter's of Kaine

I ran the same list:

Glottkin

GUO

Festus

Lord of Blights

20xPlague Bearers

5xKings

5xKings

5xKings

Blight Cyst Battalion

Opponent Ran:

Morathai

Cauldron

Several Hag Solos (?)

20xWitch Elves

20xWitch Elves

10xWitch Elves

10xSnake Lady Archers

15xDeep Strike Winged Lady Spear Chuckers

Rolled 6 for Scenario. That's three objectives on each side. You're own worth 1. Capturing opponent's and burning it for d3 points.

Terrain was clogged in middle. Lots of Deadly on Left Flank. Right Flank had Arcane,  Inspiring, and I placed my Gnarlmaw there as most likely flank for engagement.

I deployed plaguebears in 40" picket line across middle and right flank (assuming they'd take alpha strike); Glottkin rear middle, GUO left center in front; 10xKings and Lord on right flank as assault force; 5x kings camping objective on left flank.

He had 10xelves and Morathai camping his objective on my left flank (Again the deadly terrain there made it less-likely for charges). Cauldron and 20xelves and hag in middle; snake archers and another 20xeleves on my right flank - that's where it's going down.  15xspear chuckers in reserve.

I win deployment, have DOK go first, hoping for double turn.

Turn 1:

I'm expecting alpha strike, but no! He camps his objectives and actually retreats elves into counter-charge position and takes his 3 points. What's going on here?

Well, I'm going for it, hoping for double turn. But no! I miss fleshy abundance on plaguebearers  I miss blades of putrification!   But at least I move the wheel to #5. Without the buffs I decide discretion is the better part of valour, stay put, and take the 3 points.

3-3

Turn 2: 

I lose roll. Thank goodness I didn't risk advancing. He camps again! WTF!  Oh, that's right, DOK  hit harder on turn 3 and 4!  He's happy to play the game tied and then attack turns 3-5.

My turn. Gotta attack now. Need double turn.  Damn! miss fleshy abundance again! At least I mystic shield plaguebearers. Plaguebearers advance on right flank close enough to gnarlmaw to charge. I send lord of blights and 5x kings and GUO in second wave on right flank.  Terrain makes it hard for GUO to get far. Glottkin shuffles forward to keep +1 attack on. I don't like the set-up. I'm not going to be able to hit all at once on flank. 

Plaguebearers get in on snake archers on charge. 5x kings and lord and GUO in position to charge on turn 3.  Combat goes poorly - kill maybe 1 archer.

All quiet on left flank and center.

6-6

Turn 3:

I lose roll again.  He murders plaguebearers with snakes. Still holds elves back on right flank; doesn't want counter-charge by kings, GUO, and Lord.  He takes the 3 points.  I charge in with 5kings. Lord and GUO. Snakes are dead. I burn the right flank objective and get 2 points.  

Nothing doing on right flank.

11-9

Turn 4:

I finally win roll.  Surviving kings, GUO, and lord hoping to speed bump his counter attack on right flank. Shift back Glottkin and other unit of  5 kings on right flank. Nothing doing on left flank.  Take the 3 points.

He deep strikes on right flank. Kills Festus who was holding that objective. burns it for only 1 point!  Cauldron,  more witch elves, Morthai assault my attacking units on right flank. They have no problem killing everything there.  (Surprisingly the GUO almost made it - boy can it take  a pounding).   He's get's 3 points.

14-12

Turn 5:

I win roll. I've got 5kings camping my left objective. I've got 5 kings on right flank threatening  his deep strikers, and Glottkin camping center objective. Everyone else is dead.  And he's got a huge strike force that will reach Glottkin.  I play Glottkin as forward as possible while holding objective. Move wheel to #3. Kings absolutely murder his deepstrikers taking that threat to center objective away. But I know he still has plenty fire power to take it.  It's going to come down to dice roll for burning it. I take the 2 points putting me up 4.  

He sits hags on his 2 objectives. Assault on left flank misses charge, so that objective is safe. About 50 elves and Morathai get into Glottkin and center objective. Glottkin doesn't survive first attack. He burns objective.  Rolls die. On a 1-2 he gets 1 point and loses by 1. On a 3-4 he gets 2 points and we tiel. On a  5-6, he gets 3 points and wins by 1.

He rolls a 2!

Final score: Nurgle 16 - DOK 15.

A super fun game for both of us. 

Take-aways:

1. I had 5 spell casts per turn and missed the vast majority of them. When this happens it really hamstrings our army. I need to find a way not to be so reliant on magic.

2. Maybe it was the scenario but Glottkin did pretty much nothing other then hand out the +1 attack.  He didn't shine in this game.

3. Blightkings are so hit-or-miss.  It really comes down to how many 6's you get on that to-hit roll.  In my assault on the right flank in two combats I got 1x 6, and struggled to kill the snake archers.  Yet on the attack on the deep-strikers turn 4 I rolled maybe 4x 6's and slaughtered them.  

4. I'm still iffy on whether the -1 rend for Blight Cyst Battalion is worth all the points. I'm thinking about dropping it in favor of Gutrot and Nurglings to camp objectives. 

56 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

1. I had 5 spell casts per turn and missed the vast majority of them. When this happens it really hamstrings our army. I need to find a way not to be so reliant on magic.

I feel like most of our toughness or killing power comes from magic, you can literally lose games if you're not able to double the wounds or cast blade at the good time. I hug Arcane buildings all day because of this to try and up the chances. I feel like against DoK, you need units of 10 blightkings, just to survive the charge and then try to get them back. Like you said, Blightkings are hit and miss with 6, sometimes you could kill a whole army with one roll, the other time you barely manage to do a good amount of hits. 

I love DoK new army book. They're the glass canon they're meant to be. I would just love it if we were the punching bag we were meant to be too. Do you feel they melt us like butter with a hot knife? It's insane the number of wound they can achieve with all their rerolls, I'm trying to figure out what kind of mechanic Nurgle could have instead of more wounds to tone it down a bit. Like a anti-reroll aura or something. Just thinking out loud! Over the 10 games I played against them, I feel like they can trade units for much less points, which means that we're out of units and options to finish the game.

How do you guys use your Contagion points? I normally count them turn 1 and 2 to summon my second tree, and then completely forget about it because trees can't be placed less than 9" from enemies and they wont do me any good in a corner. I wish there was something we could do instead of just summoning with those points, like healing, revive, plague of some sort. Again, just thinking out loud, and yes I'm a bit jealous of those new books, damn the synergies are great!

Having said that, I cant wait to have a rematch against my DoK friend, with my plaguetouched friends. Let's see if that -1 to hit and mortal wounds on 6 will help.

Agree with all points. 

Putting the cycle at #5 helps a bit to tone down DOK. But even that requires you to hit on a spell. I will give someone the Witherstave next game for more de-buff. But, yeah, I'm making losing trades all game long and trying to win by outmaneuvering for scenario points.  It's as if DOK just keep rerolling dice until they have the result they want!

Regarding contagion points, I only have the one gnarlmaw, so I don't even bother counting them at all.  I don't even know if I could find a decent place for a second one.     

4 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Absolutely love it mate, sterling work. Whats the body?

It is primarily the demon prince kit. I added a bit of a death shroud shoulderplate to his stomach to make it look like a mouth. 

Head and wings from a bloatfly. Horns from part of a bloat drone face pannel. Axe from a Lord of contagion. 

The wings were the only thing requiring greenstuff.

Kinda tempted to cut off his claw hand and add tentacles too.

I am quickly learning that Nurgle conversions are the best because everything can go anywhere lol. It's a lot more fun than other armies.

Since we are at the daemon prince catwalk I just wanted to show mine. Not the best picture but I hope you get the idea.

build from: 

plague drone, chaos spawn arms, Drukhari Talos, blightking belly and horns, n bells, plastic card and a bit of greenstuff for the sword and fingers.

7E8B5CCF-3F41-4184-95E4-1CB27921F23B.jpeg

7594E5D3-BC0E-4AEF-9470-232ACBB98CA4.jpeg

8566D6EC-838F-4825-B641-3B12FB9ECBDB.jpeg

4 hours ago, Poltron said:

I feel like most of our toughness or killing power comes from magic, you can literally lose games if you're not able to double the wounds or cast blade at the good time. I hug Arcane buildings all day because of this to try and up the chances. I feel like against DoK, you need units of 10 blightkings, just to survive the charge and then try to get them back. Like you said, Blightkings are hit and miss with 6, sometimes you could kill a whole army with one roll, the other time you barely manage to do a good amount of hits. 

I love DoK new army book. They're the glass canon they're meant to be. I would just love it if we were the punching bag we were meant to be too. Do you feel they melt us like butter with a hot knife? It's insane the number of wound they can achieve with all their rerolls, I'm trying to figure out what kind of mechanic Nurgle could have instead of more wounds to tone it down a bit. Like a anti-reroll aura or something. Just thinking out loud! Over the 10 games I played against them, I feel like they can trade units for much less points, which means that we're out of units and options to finish the game.

How do you guys use your Contagion points? I normally count them turn 1 and 2 to summon my second tree, and then completely forget about it because trees can't be placed less than 9" from enemies and they wont do me any good in a corner. I wish there was something we could do instead of just summoning with those points, like healing, revive, plague of some sort. Again, just thinking out loud, and yes I'm a bit jealous of those new books, damn the synergies are great!

Having said that, I cant wait to have a rematch against my DoK friend, with my plaguetouched friends. Let's see if that -1 to hit and mortal wounds on 6 will help.

Harbinger of decay as general and plaguetouched helps massively. 

29 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Harbinger of decay as general and plaguetouched helps massively. 

I tried harbinger against him, the 5++ is nice, but it's not enough against so many wounds. Bloab couldnt even last one charge against 10 measly witches, even with 4+ 5++, 40 marauders  who where shielding him just went poof against 20 witches (I think it was like 64 wounds, with the razorblade spell, and it deals double damage against lower bravery). They can run and charge by default, and can reroll 1 on both attempts,  so it's actually pretty hard to get them first.  I'll try with papa Glott first with the -1 to see how it goes.

I know I know my bad luck with save rolls follows me around for 20 years now, dont know why, might be that kitten I accidently hit with a baseball bat when I was a kid, who knows. But one day, my saves will be good, like my opponent who only have a 6++ and makes like twenty of them in one combat round.

2 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

Since we are at the daemon prince catwalk I just wanted to show mine. Not the best picture but I hope you get the idea.

build from: 

plague drone, chaos spawn arms, Drukhari Talos, blightking belly and horns, n bells, plastic card and a bit of greenstuff for the sword and fingers.

Neat. That head is super cool. And that sword arm looks like it was a fair bit of work.

I'm looking forward to making another, maybe primarily using a bloat fly body next time too. I heard tyranids legs can work well with them.

Just waiting to find out if hq spam gets nerfed for 40k (I plan to use my nurgly demons with my death guard sometimes too)

Has anyone used a chaos sorcerer on manticore before? I want to add a bit more variety to my blightking heavy list and so with a spare 200 points it seems decent, rather than just bumping up the BKs to 25 models total. Looks like he could do some character sniping and would get a mortal nurgle spell as well. Was also looking at a couple of cockatrices as allies that could also do the job. 

14 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

build from: 

I think this is my favourite nurgle prince i've seen! Amazing job!

12 hours ago, Poltron said:

I tried harbinger against him, the 5++ is nice, but it's not enough against so many wounds. Bloab couldnt even last one charge against 10 measly witches, even with 4+ 5++, 40 marauders  who where shielding him just went poof against 20 witches (I think it was like 64 wounds, with the razorblade spell, and it deals double damage against lower bravery). They can run and charge by default, and can reroll 1 on both attempts,  so it's actually pretty hard to get them first.  I'll try with papa Glott first with the -1 to see how it goes.

I know I know my bad luck with save rolls follows me around for 20 years now, dont know why, might be that kitten I accidently hit with a baseball bat when I was a kid, who knows. But one day, my saves will be good, like my opponent who only have a 6++ and makes like twenty of them in one combat round.

Fair point. A meat shield of plague toads may help? 

13 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Fair point. A meat shield of plague toads may help? 

I didnt look much at Forgeworld, just because they're not in my face at the store, but those toads seems good. Am I missing something, or are they better than plaguebearers as a wall? 7" move, 120 points for 12 wounds, at 5+ 4++, a (bad) shooting attack. The only thing missing is the native -1 to hit from shooting attack, and 4 attacks per 120 pts but the d3 damage might compensate. And they really look as nurglesque as they can be to boot!

Just for the 4++ they seem to be a bargain, 4+ is already strong, 4++ seems insane.

I can imagine blightkings flanking those babys, and healing them too, a force where everyone has 4 wounds. Just learned that they could be summoned with 14 contagion points too.

I'll proxy them and try it in my next game for sure, less models to move too. Thanks for the find.

39 minutes ago, Poltron said:

I didnt look much at Forgeworld, just because they're not in my face at the store, but those toads seems good. Am I missing something, or are they better than plaguebearers as a wall? 7" move, 120 points for 12 wounds, at 5+ 4++, a (bad) shooting attack. The only thing missing is the native -1 to hit from shooting attack, and 4 attacks per 120 pts but the d3 damage might compensate. And they really look as nurglesque as they can be to boot!

Just for the 4++ they seem to be a bargain, 4+ is already strong, 4++ seems insane.

I can imagine blightkings flanking those babys, and healing them too, a force where everyone has 4 wounds. Just learned that they could be summoned with 14 contagion points too.

I'll proxy them and try it in my next game for sure, less models to move too. Thanks for the find.

I guess the only two other points against toads are: 1) they can't cover as much frontage as plaguebearers if you are making a line, and 2) forgeworld - so $$$$.  

43 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

I guess the only two other points against toads are: 1) they can't cover as much frontage as plaguebearers if you are making a line, and 2) forgeworld - so $$$$

Ouch 89$ for 3, I see what you did there! ;) Like I said, I'll proxy them haha, might use my drones as toads for now.

As for the frontage, 12 of them could still cover a lot, but after seeing that their bases is as large as drones, it might be a problem when trying to get something in combat from behind, like I did with plaguebearers and Glottkin right behind the line.

2 hours ago, Poltron said:

Ouch 89$ for 3, I see what you did there! ;) Like I said, I'll proxy them haha, might use my drones as toads for now.

As for the frontage, 12 of them could still cover a lot, but after seeing that their bases is as large as drones, it might be a problem when trying to get something in combat from behind, like I did with plaguebearers and Glottkin right behind the line.

Yeah the expense is extreme. Maybe make some plague toads out of green stuff n frog toys or something haha

Hi, I played Today and My Plaguebearers Did Nothing, and They Were a lot of points 560/1500 so Im Thinking to buy More things, I would choose Only one of The following List

1 lord of afflct. + 4 pusgoiles

1 Guo ( I Got 1 at The Moment)

1 lord of blight + 15 BK

1 horticulous + X beasts Nurgle

2 Chaos chariots + 10 chaos knights

40 ungor Raiders

What do You think fellows?  Is There Something More Interesting I Havent noticed?

Archived