Best cavalry army?

Hi,

What do you think is the best cavalry focused army there is? Imo an army focused on cavalry has its majority of points invested in cavalry, chariots, and perhaps some speedy monsters. There can still be some footslogging dudes, but only in a minor/supporting role.   

To me "best" means something like this: 

• You can win with it - if you play well (but you/it do not have to win all the time).
  • It has few hard counters.
  • It has a reasonable selection of models/units. 

As an old school purist I like to keep within the old factions (more or less). But that is just me! So what do you think? 

Discuss... :D

Yeah id agree with soulblight. 

VLoZD and blood knights as core.

Blood knights.

Then summon chaff as needed to act as tar pits or whatever else you need. 

Edit: also coven throne,VLs on hirse back, and VLoA all also have uses.

1 hour ago, Atomicaphex said:

Hi,

What do you think is the best cavalry focused army there is? Imo an army focused on cavalry has its majority of points invested in cavalry, chariots, and perhaps some speedy monsters. There can still be some footslogging dudes, but only in a minor/supporting role.   

To me "best" means something like this: 

• You can win with it - if you play well (but you/it do not have to win all the time).
  • It has few hard counters.
  • It has a reasonable selection of models/units. 

As an old school purist I like to keep within the old factions (more or less). But that is just me! So what do you think? 

Discuss... :D

Dracothian guard. It's not even close, the vast majority of cavalry in the game is terrible, only dracothian guard and blood knights are any good and dracothian guard beat bloodknights point for point.

Would agree on Stormcast Dracoth, not sure how the gryph-chocobo things are.

Blood Knights are also strong.

Tomb King Chariots are fast, strong, and survivable. Horseman too?

The Goblin Spiderclan can be very scary with the spider buff and the big arachnarok, I think they do 2 attacks each with Mortal Wounds on a  5+.

The high aelves have a dragon battalaion I think where the dragon-something cavalry gets to move up with the fire-breathing dragon. It's very fast.

3 hours ago, BURF1 said:

Dracothian guard. It's not even close, the vast majority of cavalry in the game is terrible, only dracothian guard and blood knights are any good and dracothian guard beat bloodknights point for point.

While I agree with the general assessment of cavalry in AOS, I'm not 100% convinced that Dracothian Guard are better than Blood Knights point for point. Dracothian Guard do have more variety and their overall offense is probably a tad higher. Even that isn't entirely clear though.

All DGs get an average of 4.33 rend 1 damage from their mounts per pair. Fulminators put out another 8 rend 1 damage charging or 2.67 non charging. Desolators do 4/5.33/8 rend 1 damage per pair for unit size of 2/4/6+. Concussors do an extra 5.33 rend 1 damage plus an additional mortal wound.

Meanwhile, Blood Knights do 7 rend 1 damage when not charging and 14 rend 1 damage when charging. The mounts kick in an extra 2.67 rend 0 damage.

The closest comparison are Fulminators which deal 12.33 r1/7r1 charging/not charging vs the BKs 14r1/7r1 + 2.67 r0.

Desolators do 8.33/9.66/12.33 r1, and Concussors do 9.66 r1 plus and extra mortal.

Of course, all the DGs also get an extra shooting attack which is close range but pretty good.

So once you factor in everything the damage totals are quite similar.

Defensively, however, it's Blood Knights by a mile. DGs have a slightly better save, but BKs have 50% more wounds and the 6+ (or 5+) ward. They also heal models for free with their banner. BKs also have a nice musician bonus which helps with charges. 

1 hour ago, Arkiham said:

Skullcrushers might be good.

160 points a unit, can take entire army as them and gain boosts using brass stampede. 

Take a few units of 6. Should be strong 

As soon as I sell off some of my Privateer Press stuff, I plan on buying a Khorne army. No daemons beyond a single Bloodthirster, lots of Bloodbound mortals, and a couple of Slave to Darkness elements. I have been looking at the Skullcrushers, but I have to say that I am unsure about their power level. Very limited rend for instance, and "only" a 4+ armour with no way to buff.  

31 minutes ago, Atomicaphex said:

As soon as I sell off some of my Privateer Press stuff, I plan on buying a Khorne army. No daemons beyond a single Bloodthirster, lots of Bloodbound mortals, and a couple of Slave to Darkness elements. I have been looking at the Skullcrushers, but I have to say that I am unsure about their power level. Very limited rend for instance, and "only" a 4+ armour with no way to buff.  

Yeah 4+ is average, but they're 160 points, for three, in this battalion their lethality goes up alot

Screenshot_20170416-122611.png

41 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

Yeah 4+ is average, but they're 160 points, for three, in this battalion their lethality goes up alot

Screenshot_20170416-122611.png

It certainly does go up. 160pts is great value for what you get. The Murderous charge effects every unit with in 1" of a a model in the unit, with the massive bases they have that can be quite a few units even using the smallest unit size. With 6+ size units you'll really bring the hurt really tempted to up the size of my Brass Stampede to included a 6 model unit. The only drawback is that the models are a bit older and aren't quite as fun to paint as the newest stuff 

12 hours ago, feadair said:

Just getting into the game, too. What about Grail Knights and Pegasus Knights? And Chaos Knights?

Grail Knights are quite good on the charge. Definitely better than Knights if Realm, or Knights Errant. The Bretonnian lord on Pegasus is also a beast on the charge.

Pegasus knights suffer from lack of rend but the movement and double pile in make them a reasonable choice.

Chaos Knights are more of an anvil than a hammer now. They don't hit as hard as you'd think but are pretty hard to kill.

Archived