Rampaging Destroyers move question

Kessler

I posted that question some days ago under Rules subsection, but it didn't get much attention.  I thought maybe it was wrong subforum, as the question is not about rules, but more how about you generally play. So I thought I try my luck here. 

I wanted to ask how other groups roll the Rampaging Destroyers:
1. roll for all units (individually) and mark down how much each unit moves, then make all the moves

2. roll for one unit and move immediately, then roll another one and move, etc.

3. just however you feel like at the moment

The first gives you insight how much each unit can move before you actually move the units and can plan the movement.

The second makes it possible to move more units: for example unit of orcs is within 6" of a Hero, but unit of ogors is 7" from a Hero. So first I roll for orcs and move, then I roll for Hero and move closer to ogors. Ogors are now within 6" and can also roll for Rampaging Destoyers.

2 hours ago, Kessler said:

Yes, that's how I did as well. However, in last game the question came up, because the other player had seen some battlereports, where the other way was used:

But maybe it's just to make the game faster...

MWG rolls all the dice at once, but they usually also acknowledge that this is not the standard way of doing it and they do it like that just to speed things up for the camera...

3 hours ago, Kessler said:

Yes, that's how I did as well. However, in last game the question came up, because the other player had seen some battlereports, where the other way was used:

But maybe it's just to make the game faster...

You should never ever ever look at these guys when it comes to questions of how to play rules. They make a lot of mistakes, and do things wrong on purpose for speed as well.

As everyone else has already stated, you roll for a unit, then move them, then roll for the next.

2 question spring to minds for me.

1: When you start doing the movement do you need to do all of them in turn or can I say more shaman d6, cast spell, Warchanter frenzy the brutes, move warchanter, move brute,... Or when you start doing the first unit you neeed to move the whole army?

2: does a lone megaboss give himself the move or do I need another leader in the 6inch radius to allow him to move?

50 minutes ago, Soul oWar said:

1: When you start doing the movement do you need to do all of them in turn or can I say more shaman d6, cast spell, Warchanter frenzy the brutes, move warchanter, move brute,... Or when you start doing the first unit you neeed to move the whole army?

First scenario is correct. Rule says in the hero phase, doesn't say at the start, or at the end, or one after the other. So feel free to do so. I have used it to bring a warchanter into range for a buff, buffed the unit, then moved the unit off.

51 minutes ago, Soul oWar said:

2: does a lone megaboss give himself the move or do I need another leader in the 6inch radius to allow him to move?

Hero is within 6" of itself, so gives itself the destruction move.

Also note that sometimes in the interest of speed with the Ironfist battalion and the Rampaging Destroyers move I will announce that I am taking both moves together with intention to move straight forward in one direction and haven't had a problem.

Also you can move up the first rank of a unit and pull the next rank up at the end to increase the speed of moving.

Ha, I thought I was required to roll the move all at once and move them all at once, being able to do them individually makes it better IMO.

If I field a Ironjawz batallion, can I: 

1) move my Warchanter D6 with rampaging destroyers
2) move my unit of brutes D6 with Ironjawz Battallion move
3) end up within 6" of the warchanter and thus get the rampaging destroyer move with the brutes
4) move D6 with the brute squad using the now eligible Rampaging Destroyer move

?

3 minutes ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Ha, I thought I was required to roll the move all at once and move them all at once, being able to do them individually makes it better IMO.

If I field a Ironjawz batallion, can I: 

1) move my Warchanter D6 with rampaging destroyers
2) move my unit of brutes D6 with Ironjawz Battallion move
3) end up within 6" of the warchanter and thus get the rampaging destroyer move with the brutes
4) move D6 with the brute squad using the now eligible Rampaging Destroyer move

?

Yes it's wonderful isn't it :-)

1 hour ago, Lysandestolpe said:

:o

By extension, you can also:

- Do unit A's (that is 6" from the Warchanter) Rampaging Destroyers move

- Rampagin Destroyers your Warchanter away towards unit 2, that is currently more than 6" from any hero (and hope your RD roll is high enough)

- Hopefully get in range of unit B for them to make their RD move. Or, alternatively, make their Ironfist move towards the 'chanter if need be so they can be eligible for the RD move!

7 minutes ago, Spinsane said:

By extension, you can also:

- Do unit A's (that is 6" from the Warchanter) Rampaging Destroyers move

- Rampagin Destroyers your Warchanter away towards unit 2, that is currently more than 6" from any hero (and hope your RD roll is high enough)

- Hopefully get in range of unit B for them to make their RD move. Or, alternatively, make their Ironfist move towards the 'chanter if need be so they can be eligible for the RD move!

that was a little confusing but I think I understand what you're saying. :P

2 minutes ago, Lysandestolpe said:

that was a little confusing but I think I understand what you're saying. :P

Yeah, sorry, tried my best :)

Basically, you can use the Rampaging Destroyers and/or the Ironfist moves so that any unit that is more than 6" from any Hero at the beginning of the turn can eventually end up within 6" and gets their free move. You can either move the unit towards a Hero using the Ironfist move, or move the Hero towards the unit using Rampaging Destroyers...

1 hour ago, Spinsane said:

Yeah, sorry, tried my best :)

Basically, you can use the Rampaging Destroyers and/or the Ironfist moves so that any unit that is more than 6" from any Hero at the beginning of the turn can eventually end up within 6" and gets their free move. You can either move the unit towards a Hero using the Ironfist move, or move the Hero towards the unit using Rampaging Destroyers...

Yes, the concept is that you can mingle between the two moves as it is a unit based move rather than an army based or battalion based move, which is essentially what you are getting at.

Thanks for the answers! I will make sure to exercise that better at the next tourney haha. 

Ironfist and RD together is like playing bloodbowl.  You pick carefully in what order to do things so you don't mess up your plans with a bad roll.  

Same thing with Scions of the Storm for Stormcast.  Pick the order carefully or you might have a unit that's caught out.

I know this has been asked before, but a friend I was playing seems to think he can retreat with his RD move and then charge again in the charge phase with his Piggies, he says it's in the FAQ, but I can't see that anywhere, in the GHB one that came out at Xmas it mentions RD twice but doesn't say you can do that. It just says you can use it to retreat, and also that it doesn't count as having moved in the movement phase. Am I missing something?

2 hours ago, James McPherson said:

I know this has been asked before, but a friend I was playing seems to think he can retreat with his RD move and then charge again in the charge phase with his Piggies, he says it's in the FAQ, but I can't see that anywhere, in the GHB one that came out at Xmas it mentions RD twice but doesn't say you can do that. It just says you can use it to retreat, and also that it doesn't count as having moved in the movement phase. Am I missing something?

When using RD, you move as if it were the movement phase, except you can't run. Which means, maximum of D6 movement. If that D6 movement is enough that you can move and finish more than 3 inches from an enemy, you can use the move to retreat. You can then move again in your movement phase. 
You can't then charge, as your d6 move in the hero phase is a move as if it were the movement phase. This means you follow all rules for moving out of combat, i.e. retreating. Meaning you can't shoot or charge in the following shooting and charging phase. 

Does that make sense? 

@James McPherson (enjoyed you WTV stream game btw!) - @N_Watson has got it right regarding the retreat there. Still a useful utility for sure, but definitely no retreat and charge.

This is a really good thread in general. I guess I take it for granted that people know to play Rampaging Destroyers (and indeed Ironfist) in the most beneficial way, so it's really great to see some active learning going on here. I'm sure those of you taking this back to your games now will find a noted improvement. Ordering all your bonus moves and buffs in the Hero phase correctly is really key for Ironjawz to be even close to successful (I'm sure Destruction in general, but I'll stick to what I know!). Don't be afraid to take a bit more time here and don't be rushed, likely it should be the longest phase the majority of the time (especially T1 and 2). There really is more to Ironjawz than just pushing them directly forward the maximum distance (though admittedly sometimes this is our best chance haha!!).

Chris B|

thanks Mr Tomlin, was super intense! Was good to be up there with you all. I played Matt L. after that who smashed me back down to reality!

It came up in a tournie in Auckland I played at recently.

I'll add it to my ever growing list of dumb ****** I did in a game of AOS that I probably shouldn't of done! At least I know for next time!

Archived