How would YOU bring back Slaanesh?

39 minutes ago, VBS said:

Random thought, but I always found quite odd how the simple fact of showing some ****** or sinuous tongues is considered as non-viable because it isn't appropriate for certain customers... yet decapitated heads, hanging bowels and tales of mass murder is fine. Logic = not found.

Why is the first not acceptable and the second one is? As far as I know, developped ****** is a natural thing (half of the population have those) and most kids by the age of 12 already know how "all that works", so a 6th ed daemonette wouldn't be a disturbing revelation. I think that rivers of blood, mountains of corpses and bubonic plagues corroding the flesh leading to a horrible death are notoriously worse.

I never understood this idea of "must remove sexual aspect of Slaanesh to be acceptable" as a necessary change (from a logical point of view). GW could explore other aspects of depravity without focussing just on lust, but without forcibly removing it in the name of virtuous prudence. 

For the same reason we have Gorechosen but you aren't gonna have a Slaaneshchosen: Orgy edition ever :D 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Random thought, but I always found quite odd how the simple fact of showing some ****** or sinuous tongues is considered as non-viable because it isn't appropriate for certain customers... yet decapitated heads, hanging bowels and tales of mass murder is fine. Logic = not found.

Why is the first not acceptable and the second one is? As far as I know, developped ****** is a natural thing (half of the population have those) and most kids by the age of 12 already know how "all that works", so a 6th ed daemonette wouldn't be a disturbing revelation. I think that rivers of blood, mountains of corpses and bubonic plagues corroding the flesh leading to a horrible death are notoriously worse.

I never understood this idea of "must remove sexual aspect of Slaanesh to be acceptable" as a necessary change (from a logical point of view). GW could explore other aspects of depravity without focussing just on lust, but without forcibly removing it in the name of virtuous prudence. 

Accessibility, IMO. (Spoiler - here comes some bad psych)

It is considered utterly abhorrent to take another life within society. That's why so much TV time is taken up with it. We're obsessed with this seemingly-distant act to the point where it's almost fictional in itself. Human society doesn't require you to kill someone, so you can have as many weird ideas about it as you like.

On the other hand... Most people will encounter sex.

So any imagery that plays around that is going to be assimilated by the observer. As an example, when 50 shades was at its' publicity peak in the book world, you had any number of articles examining how the book reinforced/played on some objectively unhealthy relationship dynamics and was misogynistic. But it wasn't guys buying all those copies, was it?

TL:DR; exposure to violent videogames categorically don't make you more likely to kill. Exposure to weird sex imagery does make you more likely to be dysfunctional. So we should worry about the s-e-x stuff more.

(By 'we', I mean other people. Not me. I'm already ruined and I'm too busy to worry about what other people do with each other for consenty fun.)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

I think the main reason lies within our societie's moral roots. Sexuality and killing were viewed as sins but killing was then glorified and viewed as the non-plus-ultra of moral paragons if it was done for a good reason. The reason, of course, varied and was pretty vague in and itself so you had people murdering each other at the drop of a hat but shame on the ****** who dared to show her ankly or wrist!

Well, my post was mostly rhetorical, precisely as a critique of our societie's moral, as you mentioned. We just have to turn on the news to be assaulted with visions of violence and death (accessible to all, btw). But the moment a women shows her nipple it's "Oh No! Intolerable!". Which is completely dumb. Even more so if we consider that our society can also be considered as hyper-sexualised, yet this duality of sexual-references everywhere contradict the socially accepted prud attitude, and doesn't make much sense.

So concerning Slaanesh, I am hoping GW can see beyond this general absurdity and flesh out a proper Dark Prince for what he is: the Lord Of Excess in every aspect!!

On 4/15/2017 at 7:11 PM, VBS said:

Yes but it isn't logical per se - it's a market driven choice. If GW's growth market was European blokes over 18 then there wouldn't be as much as a problem here (look at Raging Heroes for an example of a company placing itself firmly in THAT niche). But because the GW target growth market is UK and US 12 year olds it is a problem. Just look at the history of D&D - Soccer Moms seem to hate tabletop games. And naked demons have a history of "triggering" concerned parents groups.

I'm not defending this choice BTW, but if GW wants parents buying Warhammer it'll end up pandering to the PG-13 mindset.

Yup, in addition the PG-13 market will always remain larger as the PG-18 market for what is essentially a toy. While some might not like the concept of that, the same compagnies who press these molds for GW's miniatures also press the molds for Marvel figures and a whole lot of different toys.

To me personally the nipple or tongue wouldn't be the biggest issue with Slaanesh. I'm quite certain this might be seen here and there.
What is the bigger issue is the lore that indeed goes heavily into detail about drugs, orgies and other excesses that are generally shunned by social acceptance in a lot of different countries. While the concept of mind control can certainly remain, doing so with sex and drugs is likely not what GW wants to keep afloat for Slaanesh.

Now saying that's what Slaanesh is/was all about isn't correct either offcourse. As such I still believe in a return but a return that will focus more on the darkness within Order, the Cultist and the secretive fiend of Chaos. These concepts arn't really part of other Chaos pantheons so there is a lot of cool design space there.

From my perspective if we look at AoS exclusive Chaos models we allready see somewhat of a Ancient Roman influence anyway.
Tzeentch the Politician/Scholar
Khorne the Gladiator/Militant
Nurgle the Farmer/Monk (?)
Which leaves some really nice space for Slaanesh the Artist/Entertainer

Obviously we all have to wait and see where things are going. I also agree that it's strange how social acceptance is allright for suggestive death but suggestive procreation is shunned. 

2 hours ago, Killax said:

Yup, in addition the PG-13 market will always remain larger as the PG-18 market for what is essentially a toy. While some might not like the concept of that, the same compagnies who press these molds for GW's miniatures also press the molds for Marvel figures and a whole lot of different toys.

To me personally the nipple or tongue wouldn't be the biggest issue with Slaanesh. I'm quite certain this might be seen here and there.
What is the bigger issue is the lore that indeed goes heavily into detail about drugs, orgies and other excesses that are generally shunned by social acceptance in a lot of different countries. While the concept of mind control can certainly remain, doing so with sex and drugs is likely not what GW wants to keep afloat for Slaanesh.

Now saying that's what Slaanesh is/was all about isn't correct either offcourse. As such I still believe in a return but a return that will focus more on the darkness within Order, the Cultist and the secretive fiend of Chaos. These concepts arn't really part of other Chaos pantheons so there is a lot of cool design space there.

From my perspective if we look at AoS exclusive Chaos models we allready see somewhat of a Ancient Roman influence anyway.
Tzeentch the Politician/Scholar
Khorne the Gladiator/Militant
Nurgle the Farmer/Monk (?)
Which leaves some really nice space for Slaanesh the Artist/Entertainer

Obviously we all have to wait and see where things are going. I also agree that it's strange how social acceptance is allright for suggestive death but suggestive procreation is shunned. 

You still have a problem of what they look like if not sex-based models. 

So far im jusy kinda getting dude in pink/purple robes

I'd go with The King in Yellow.

Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
Stranger: Indeed?
Cassilda: Indeed it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
Stranger: I wear no mask.
Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

9 hours ago, mmimzie said:

You still have a problem of what they look like if not sex-based models. 

So far im jusy kinda getting dude in pink/purple robes

Not really, as mentioned in the previous page, I think you'll see Sigvald like 'Mortals' and The Masque like 'Daemons'. 
Having pink and robes is optional, the lore on Slaanesh mainly mentions that they where gold and silver armour adourned with gems, diamonds and other luxious tokens. 

Bare chests are almost guaranteed, even Daemonettes will not dissapear. Just expect more corsets, masks and dresses. In essence Slaanesh will still be very clearly merged into that look, just more dressed up. If some think that looks silly well... That's just a matter of taste, says the man in the brass bunny helmet ;) 

Really like the idea of a masquerade aesthetic. Would not be surprised, but don't see the hellenistic influence disappearing, so maybe more of a ancient Greek drama/Homeric theme than a Victorian masquerade.

Fluff wise; a different relationship with aelfs would be interesting (and I think consistent with current rumours/lead up); so rather than Slaanesh being on a quest to consume them; the aelfs get free of the Slaanesh-aelf "bond", but become more corrupt-able and we get chaos aelfs. Something similar for 40k, hopefully.

In terms of gameplay, I would like to keep the agile "glass cannon", with magic that targets the mind style we have already.

For model releases, other than the fiends and keeper needing an update (maybe plastic masque), I don't think the other daemons need redoing. Mortals can include aelfs and/or warriors in ornate garb, with some extra speed, negatives to be hit and/or combat activation order shenanigans. If the style is Homeric, then it'll be easier for GW to build on the heelstriders and lord on boobworm (please new model?), rather than do something entirely new (ab-plate anyone?).

• 3 weeks later...
On 18.04.2017 at 9:03 PM, Killax said:

It's a sphere of Tzeentch. And always was.

On 19.04.2017 at 2:08 PM, DarkBlack said:

Fluff wise; a different relationship with aelfs would be interesting (and I think consistent with current rumours/lead up); so rather than Slaanesh being on a quest to consume them; the aelfs get free of the Slaanesh-aelf "bond", but become more corrupt-able and we get chaos aelfs. Something similar for 40k, hopefully.

I hope not. It's a silly idea and is by no means original, and what's even more important, makes Chaos idea disappear and become generic and bleak. No, thanks.

And, by the way, the horned symbol on the Chaos Pantheon map is the Great Horned Rat, which is the fifth Chaos God from the beginning of AoS. Surprising revelation, I know. But still.

1 minute ago, Menkeroth said:

It's a sphere of Tzeentch. And always was.

Feel free to have a look at Liber Chaotica Slaanesh. Why Tzeentch and Slaanesh can work well together has a lot to do with the ways they have some similar features and for lack of better words are very well adapted to stay hidden, as the worship of Slaanesh in a (for example) ******-house is very capable of staying out of regular sight. The same goes for Tzeentch cults in magical liberaries, everyone is looking for knowledge, it's those who willing to bend to the Chaotic that are often not figured out until it's too late.

Cultists are part of every Chaos God but the Tzeentch and Slaanesh cultists can really go unnoticed much better as rotting lepers and mouth-foaming maniacs :) 

But this niche is already taken and covered by Tzeentch, and I doubt GW will repeat this with Slaanesh - certainly it's not what suits best such a long awaited return of the Dark Prince. Khorne has his maniacs, Tzeentch - cultists and magic, Nurgle - resilient plagues, and what is left for Slaanesh? Certainly not that is already in demand.

What I would like is for people to stop thinking Slaanesh is 1980s Sex, drugs and rock n' roll.  Start seeing them as excess of anything and the blind illusion of perfection through any means.

All props to Guy Haley (my man-crush) for continually putting Slaanesh in the current novels to shut up the "Slaanesh is dead" cult.

10 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

What I would like is for people to stop thinking Slaanesh is 1980s Sex, drugs and rock n' roll.  Start seeing them as excess of anything and the blind illusion of perfection through any means.

All props to Guy Haley (my man-crush) for continually putting Slaanesh in the current novels to shut up the "Slaanesh is dead" cult.

It's not "just" Guy, though. Doing numbers, Slaanesh is featured in a grand total of half a dozen novels (plus hammerhal's shortstories). He appears in half the novels almost.

10 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

It's not "just" Guy, though. Doing numbers, Slaanesh is featured in a grand total of half a dozen novels (plus hammerhal's shortstories). He appears in half the novels almost.

No, sorry you are totally correct.  But Guy is their best writer so I never feel bad about saying "go read his stuff" where as other books that may feature Slaanesh are/can be,.. really bad.

Just now, Popisdead said:

No, sorry you are totally correct.  But Guy is their best writer so I never feel bad about saying "go read his stuff" where as other books that may feature Slaanesh are/can be,.. really bad.

"Best writer?" That's Josh Reynolds' title, you blasphemous heathen unbeliever!

3 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

"Best writer?" That's Josh Reynolds' title, you blasphemous heathen unbeliever!

He has mis-stepped a few times :P

no wait..

HOW DARE I?  HOW DARE I?  i SAY GOOD DAY TO YOU GOOD SIR!  i SAY GOOD DAY!

or we could dual.  do you have jousting equipment to settle this?

1 minute ago, Popisdead said:

He has mis-stepped a few times :P

no wait..

HOW DARE I?  HOW DARE I?  i SAY GOOD DAY TO YOU GOOD SIR!  i SAY GOOD DAY!

or we could dual.  do you have jousting equipment to settle this?

I'm more of a pistol man. At dawn? (Let's leave this at that, least we derail further the thread)

4 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

I'm more of a pistol man. At dawn? (Let's leave this at that, least we derail further the thread)

That works.

Did Josh Reynolds write Primeogenitor?  That was hands down amazing and did so much justice to both Slaanesh in 32k and Harlequins.  So yeah. I tip my hat to him for that.

Just now, Popisdead said:

That works.

Did Josh Reynolds write Primeogenitor?  That was hands down amazing and did so much justice to both Slaanesh in 32k and Harlequins.  So yeah. I tip my hat to him for that.

Yes, he did primogenitor. Now, I just need the Bile model to look half as cool as the artwork does.

the one thing I expect to happen is IF slaneesh comes back, he would not be pleased that the horned rat took his spot, and a massive war between the followers of pleasure and the children of the horned rat shall culminate into a birth of a new god...

the horny rat.

and the mortal realms shall cringe at the monstrosity that shall be unleashed!

....or not, who the heck knows now-a-days!

Archived