• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OBEY, CONSUME, NO INDEPENDENT THOUGHT :-) 

But joking aside, the only drawback I can see here are those... fiddly bits.

Don't get me wrong, the sculpts themselseves are great, but they seem to have been designed by someone who never had to transport them around town. 

And as dwarfs (dwarves? dawi? duardin? Kharadron<tm>?) are concerned - I always liked their Warhammer tech-savvy flavour, I mean in the Old World they had gunpowder before anyone else! Surely during the Age of Chaos some of them managed to advance their inventions enough to conquer the skies (which they already did in WFB but not on such scale).

Also: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

6 minutes ago, Dez said:

I think it's cool. Think about it, birds what do they do? They peck! So now this is used as a tool, and the parrots drill instead. *DZZT DZZT DZZZT DZZT* Robo-polly want's a silicon cracker

but is it a real parrot in armour or a robot parrot? True AoS philosophical debate here?

6 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

I dunno if I can bring myself to use a robo-parrot...

3 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

Flappy want a girder biscuit?

*squawk* Archaon is a loser *squawk*

2 minutes ago, Dez said:

I think it's cool. Think about it, birds what do they do? They peck! So now this is used as a tool, and the parrots drill instead. *DZZT DZZT DZZZT DZZT* Robo-polly want's a silicon cracker

Fellas...that parrot isn't moving...

Dead+parrot+2.jpg

Was out of town for a couple days and I come back to this! I'm a little late to the party but I love the steampunkyness of these guys. Glad I didn't start a Tzeench army cause I just failed my Perils of the Wallet save and I wouldn't be able to afford both.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, SuperHappyTime said:

There's a few things here I want to pick up, and a lot of deja vu relating to Fyreslayers that make me want to take a long hard pass.

All of this feels very 40K, which spurns me from collecting for fantasy. The Giant Metal Balls work on the large ships, but on the dudes it just looks goofy. The small plane too, might look better as a aerodynamic jet than a blimp flyer.

The paint scheme overall is pretty bad and looks more like Scourge Privateers (which I really wish this release was instead). The hero with the floating ball and weird hat reminds me of a pimp (which I'm never gonna unsee).

The foot soldiers look great, fantastic, and would be a definite pick up. The regular dudes seem a bit "marine" (as in sailors, not ultramarines), the 5 pack is what I was hoping for from a metal Dwarf army. But the army choices remind me of choices that the Fyreslayers got, which have the most expensive models to build lists (especially with the cheaper, experimental rules). The fact that this book is coming out with the pre-Tzeentch "single army" style book instead of a combo Duardin book, worries me we aren't going to getting an update to the old Dispossessed. In fact, I'm starting to believe a lot of the old armies are headed for the exit.

On the other hand, I'm happy to see them. This is maybe the first army other than Stormcast with an aesthetic that wouldn't have fit in the old world. If AoS needs more of something, it's justification that bounds set by the setting being in the Old World was limiting creativity.

Fair assessment, although I don't believe that it being a 'single army' indicates any reason to be concerned for old armies.

Re. Fyreslayers I hope one thing they take from that is the cost to build an army, and there is an improvement on the visual 'ratios'. On the first point one issue for Fyreslayers was that your basic troop type was AUD100 for now 120 points - so 1.2 points per dollar. This compares to say Dryads that are AUD 70 for 16 models and 120 points with spares. This also could not be mitigated by cheap elites so really expensive to build an army. The visual ratio also was an issue -  by this I simply mean that the vast majority of the Fyreslayer army were foot troops with only the magmadroth to break up the visual outline of the army.

Also agreed very strongly with your final point.

On the subject of these new models and working in with the old Dispossessed. I think from a gameplay point of view they will add some really interesting new options and make for a much more mobile army. I suspect that significant synnergies will mean that fielding one or two units of Overlords will be less potent than a substantial number. On t'other hand a unit of Skyriggers to go objective grabbing, or a single gun hauler to lead your gyrocopters could well be an interesting variation.

The more I look at these the more I’m loving them, they are properly bonkers. I also think this is exactly what the Victorians would have invented if they’d have had the tech/magic. Which is also why I actually love the top hat dude as it fits with an image I’ve got in my head of him chomping on a cigar, walking the deck of his magically powered airship, while flying over the spires of a massive city. So thinking I might go full on Victorian’ish bonkers with the paint job in these guys. Found this image of a Victorian pump house and think it might be my starting point. Will make a change from the grim dark paint scheme I’ve been doing for my chaos dwarfs.373F52DB00000578-3742144-image-a-12_1471292637577.jpg.4bf4ba31b0bb4c9ca232393d7d4068c0.jpg

22 minutes ago, EvDJ said:

The more I look at these the more I’m loving them, they are properly bonkers. I also think this is exactly what the Victorians would have invented if they’d have had the tech/magic. Which is also why I actually love the top hat dude as it fits with an image I’ve got in my head of him chomping on a cigar, walking the deck of his magically powered airship, while flying over the spires of a massive city. So thinking I might go full on Victorian’ish bonkers with the paint job in these guys. Found this image of a Victorian pump house and think it might be my starting point. Will make a change from the grim dark paint scheme I’ve been doing for my chaos dwarfs.

I also love the chap with the hat! Been tempted numerous times by the steampunk allure of Malifaux and even Guildball - will definitely opt to get my fix via GW dwarfs now!

Also, only just noticed the chap with the hand-cannon that looks like an Organ Gun! Amazing

I think it's the same as the frigate we've seen already, just seen from behind and with a different forward gun (a minigun instead of a harpoon launcher).

Another curiosity there though is that the admiral has a different hammer head from the admiral on the WHC site.

GW-gama-2.jpg

Looks like a big stone trapezoidal thing with a crosshairs rune on the front. Interestingly it looks similar to the... standard, I guess, on the new thunderers, the dude on the right.

GAMA-KO-GrundstokThunderers-Content.jpg

So it could be a conversion but I'd note it's one of the only old-timey dwarven stone-looking things in the previewed models. Maybe it's like an oathstone or some legacy artefact from before these guys diverged from the other dwarves? I don't know my khazlid runes well enough to speculate on what it represents.

The blue paintjob looks great, real 19th c. naval look. I like the faded purple on the WHC ones but the blue is so fresh.

1 minute ago, sandlemad said:

I think it's the same as the frigate we've seen already, just seen from behind and with a different forward gun (a minigun instead of a harpoon launcher).

Another curiosity there though is that the admiral has a different hammer head from the admiral on the WHC site.

GW-gama-2.jpg

Looks like a big stone trapezoidal thing with a crosshairs rune on the front. Interestingly it looks similar to the... standard, I guess, on the new thunderers, the dude on the right.

GAMA-KO-GrundstokThunderers-Content.jpg

So it could be a conversion but I'd note it's some of the only old-timey dwarven stone-looking thing in the previewed models. Maybe it's like an oathstone or some legacy thing from before these guys diverged from the other dwarves? I don't know my khazlid runes well enough to speculate on what it represents.

The blue paintjob looks great, real 19th c. naval look. I like the faded purple on the WHC ones but the blue is so fresh.

Good spot. Looks a lot better than the first one we saw as well in my mind. Not a fan of the crosshair rune personally, but thats an easy fix. Does anyone know if pictures of sprues have been leaked anywhere? really interested to see how these all go together and if the ships are multi kits. I dont think the ships are as they done seem to have similar shapes. 

Wow 67 replies!! I usually get 5 looks and 0 replies, I'm so glad that this post has met with all these responses and thoughtful input, I thought it'd be my mindless ramblings only...soo cool to see and hear the duardin love out there. @Mohojoe those new model pics on BoLS are really great, the colour scheme looks less skittles and more toned down, engineered oil and elbow grease which really fits better than the purple IMO...just this one tweak makes so much difference.

@Dez@roberto those parrot pics :D  @EvDJ full blown victorian schemes will be awesome, kinda gothic tinges also- don't know if you've seen penny dreadful? But something along these kind of aesthetic lines would be awesome (in time period terms not werewolves and frankensteins)

I was trying to take a positive about this probable lack of artefact synergy etc, I guess with GHB 2.0 on its way theres a chance the general Order Allegiance stuff make be a bump up so then a combo force of these guys with some Fyreslayers - possibly an irondrake/ironbreakers unit and a flame cannon or two and now we start getting to a high functioning Duardin list, theres improved options is what I'm saying.

5 hours ago, Lord Aquillor said:

Maybe its a real parrot in a space suit.  Thats what the dwarves are in so it is possible and more cool. 

It is 100% a parrot in a suit.

6 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

Good spot. Looks a lot better than the first one we saw as well in my mind. Not a fan of the crosshair rune personally, but thats an easy fix. Does anyone know if pictures of sprues have been leaked anywhere? really interested to see how these all go together and if the ships are multi kits. I dont think the ships are as they done seem to have similar shapes. 

There are three different sizes of ship, the one in the Bell of Souls link is the middle size one, 100%. I would not be surprised if they come with different load outs.

I have decide that if I do go for them, I am going to go fluffwise for a  terracotta army (in brass) vibe for them. Dead Duardin warriors, permanently sealed in aether powered suits of armour, endlessly roaming the skies for plunder and glory, motivated by the grudges of the dead within them.

I have decide that if I do go for them, I am going to go fluffwise for a  terracotta army (in brass) vibe for them. Dead Duardin warriors, permanently sealed in aether powered suits of armour, endlessly roaming the skies for plunder and glory, motivated by the grudges of the dead within them.

Love it. Really awesome theme there! I'm aiming to do a sky city display board for mine but can't decide on the theme for them. I was thinking of making them the original rogue traders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DynamicCalories said:

4decb2ff8146c978b25328ed31b242a2.jpg

Archived