Advice for a 13 year old painter

Riddles

Hi, before you start make sure you lightly spray undercoat your models outside in an old card board box with something like chaos black spray so the paint sticks properly.  When painting use something to protect the table that you're paint on then put a blob of paint from the pot onto a pallete of some sort and add a little water to it as you paint and when you put the colours on the model if you can see through the paint let that layer dry fully before going over it again to build up a nice layer of the colour.  Also remember to rinse your brush out frequently.

Another good tip to make your models look nicer even if your not that neat is to not use too many different colours so maybe 5 or so, it depends what are you painting?

Warhammer TV have lots of information that is useful to help guide you depending on what you are painting: https://www.youtube.com/user/GamesWorkshopWNT 

All painters start somewhere, so don't be disheartened if you arent producing the same level that others have. If you have twitter there is lots of inspirational models. (check this link which shows Duncan from Warhammer TVs first model: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/14/my-first-model-part-1-our-own-duncan-rhodes/

As per the comment above, use a painting palette (can be a tile, plastic lids such as principles) and paint in thin layers (water down your paints). It can take time to get the right consistency, but keep trying and you'll get to a standard that you are happy with!

Paint something you enjoy!

You're off to a good start and embarking on a hobby that can provide a lifetime of enjoyment.

My blog is loaded with advice for beginning painters - everything about what paints, brushes and tools will help you, as well as other advice and insight into the hobby.  Please check it out, it's worth the time.

http://the-sage-brush.blogspot.com/2015/01/welcome-to-sage-brush.html
(Start there and read forward)

Start simple, just a few colours that complement one another e.g. A light colour and a dark colour. The boxes usually have some straight forward and decent colour schemes.

I would suggest that As your are just starting focus on making the base level as good as you can and then a simple wash. You can do more advanced techniques e.g. Layering when you feel more comfortable and add more paints and brushes - you can always go back and add more to a model at a later date

i taught my son to imagine he is dressing the model, so start with the base detail e.g. Skin, then paint the armour parts, then paint the detail on the armour. So you are working up.

buy the best brushes you can afford and look after them e.g. Clean them all the time, don't jab with them. If you shop around you can get a good set at a decent price, craft shops can be a good source

As others have said, watch the tutorials, especially warhammer tv.

Always start with your cheap units. Use them to figure out your army's paint theme. Don't be afraid to pick up some Dettol or Super Clean to strip them down once you've settled on a theme. This saves you the trouble of learning on a very expensive model.

Don't paint out of the pot. Take some out and put it on your pallet, then add a touch of water into your pile of paint and mix it up. This will thin your paint and allow you to cover your model in a thin layer to start with. Don't worry if you see some of the base coat showing through. You'll put on at least one more layer and you'll be all set.

Learning blending and other techniques are great to have in your arsenal, but don't waste time on them right when you start. focus on base coating, then washing, cleanup, then get into stuff like blending and edge highlighting.

Look at a lot of pictures online and watch lots of painting videos. These will help open your eyes to lots of painting "dos and don'ts" while also giving you lots of ideas to try on your own.

DON'T PAINT WITH DRY PAINT! This is something I messed up on when I first started. If it seems like your pile of paint is drying up, add a little water to it and you should be fine. But, you need to know when a pile of paint needs to be ditched. Usually after one or two additions of water you should start a new pile. If it looks like you have dry spots all over your pile, or if you see a little layer of dried paint shift on your pile, it's probably time to start a new one!

Utilize this, and other, forums. Show off your progress. Ask for advice. This is a very good place to come for advice, ideas and motivation. Even if you're by yourself at home, you're never alone around here. There's always some ready to offer friendly advice as long as you're friendly in return.

20 hours ago, Riddles said:

Hi again, this is one of the models ive just painted

1486316824951-885821133.jpg

For your Saurus warrior the redy crest is a cool idea and you have got good coverage, however the model doesn't stand out from the base very well and the gold doesn't stand out very well because they are quite similar tone colours.

You might want to consider shading the green parts of the model with a GW shade either Anthonian Camoshade (dark green) or Biel-Tan Green (mid green) or even Coelia Greenshade (bluey green), you slop it over the model and it settles in the recesses which will make the scales on the skin stand out more, it will also tint the areas with that colour so if you used Biel-Tan green for example it would make the model look more green, so the yellowy gold and white claws/horns will stand out more.

You could then use a GW Agrax earthshade (dark brown) to shade the claws/horns, gold and the base and maybe water it down a little bit so it doesn't darken those parts down too much.  Doing this would help the details on the model stand out more.

Hope that helps.

On 2/5/2017 at 6:47 PM, Riddles said:

Hi again, this is one of the models ive just painted

1486316824951-885821133.jpg

That's very good! The biggest cheat to get depth in your models is using washes. They are 'very thin paints' that settle in all the little cracks. Adding a green wash over the scales will mean the saurus will pop more. Give it a dry, it is the best tip anybody ever gave me when I started. 

On 2/6/2017 at 6:43 AM, Jaze said:

IDICBeer 40k is doing a back to basics series currently, is not all about painting but is quite good. 

Thanks! My girlfriend is just starting to learn to paint and these videos will be super helpful to her if I can convince her to watch them (usually it'sd Food Network or Investigation Discovery) :D

I read the title as "advise for someone who's been painting for 13 years" and I was like what possible advice does this guy need? hahaha

You being an actual 13-year old makes more sense.

Anyway, you're off to a great start and as many mentioned already, practicing will only improve your skills.

The thing I figured out is that the quality of your paintjob really depends on how much you keep at it. You have the base paints done very well. You can add washes to shade your mini and bring out details. You can add lighter colours to the tips to highlight it more. You can pick out more details in the mini and paint them, etc. 

Just have fun with it and try out new things. ^_^

Nice progress!
That Stormcast looks quite a bit more detailed than your Saurus.

As someone who has also started painting Saurus just recently my best tip (apart from what the other guys said, especially concerning thinning your paints and using washes) is this one: Try to find lines on the model to follow. On the Stormcast that's easy. Lots of lines to follow with your brush. But there are also some on the Saurus. Try for example making the larger scales on the back darker. I do that using a dark shade. GW's Nuln Oil for example. That way you have contrasts between different parts of the model, and that makes it look more detailed. The spikes and the thing on the tail's tip could be bronze, like the weapon, or read like the crest.

For choosing your colors I can recommend looking at a color circle (just google it, many pictures on the web). For nice color contrasts you should pick colors that are not too close together on the circle. Try to keep it down to three or four base colors for now.

You are on a good way. :)

On 16/02/2017 at 10:10 AM, Aginor said:

Nice progress!
That Stormcast looks quite a bit more detailed than your Saurus.

As someone who has also started painting Saurus just recently my best tip (apart from what the other guys said, especially concerning thinning your paints and using washes) is this one: Try to find lines on the model to follow. On the Stormcast that's easy. Lots of lines to follow with your brush. But there are also some on the Saurus. Try for example making the larger scales on the back darker. I do that using a dark shade. GW's Nuln Oil for example. That way you have contrasts between different parts of the model, and that makes it look more detailed. The spikes and the thing on the tail's tip could be bronze, like the weapon, or read like the crest.

For choosing your colors I can recommend looking at a color circle (just google it, many pictures on the web). For nice color contrasts you should pick colors that are not too close together on the circle. Try to keep it down to three or four base colors for now.

You are on a good way. :)

I can vouch for that, my son (8) and I use a simple light and dark colour scheme for our seraphon that we picked for him to easily copy. This is one of our skinks, we use calador sky for underbelly and kantor blue for the scales as base. Wash with drakenhoff. Then bright colours for details e.g. Evil suns scarlet for red eyes and the stripe and ushbati bone for teeth, bronze scorpion for jewellery, liberator armour for weapons. The bright layers really pop from the darker blue background.

Once I showed my son he was able to easily copy it.

IMG_1153.JPG

On 21.2.2017 at 8:20 AM, Praecautus said:

I can vouch for that, my son (8) and I use a simple light and dark colour scheme for our seraphon that we picked for him to easily copy. This is one of our skinks, we use calador sky for underbelly and kantor blue for the scales as base. Wash with drakenhoff. Then bright colours for details e.g. Evil suns scarlet for red eyes and the stripe and ushbati bone for teeth, bronze scorpion for jewellery, liberator armour for weapons. The bright layers really pop from the darker blue background.

Once I showed my son he was able to easily copy it.

That Skink looks very similar to mine. :)

Wow, awesome start, welcome to painting. I'm starting to teach my 9 year old niece, it is so much fun to start. If you want tips on specific looks and techniques, check out Vince Venturella's hobby cheating series on You Tube they are super simple. But more importantly just try stuff and have fun.

Archived