The future of Warhammer.org.uk / TGA

This forum is great! We now have a one stop shop for all our AoS needs; kudos to Ben for putting it together - the future is bright. Or, at least it is here. A quick perusal of major forums uncovers a thin veneer of positivity towards AoS, which is routinely and rigorously punctured at every juncture by doom-mongers, trolls, 8th and 9th age evangelicals and old skool sourpusses. My fear about 'the community' bunkering down in our own happy place is that is that we'll create a silo here, attracting the great and good, whilst the rest of the internet becomes a wasteland. We need to really make sure we give this forum as much oxygen as possible so when little Timmy searches for 'Sigmar Forum' he doesn't wind up in a troll's nest - coming out with some slanted view, but should instead last here.  Already Warhammer.org.uk is infested with degrees negativity from the sniping sardonic to the outright hostile, which is a real shame as this has been my 'go to' place for some time. Will two main forums for tournament announcements survive in parallel? I guess we'll find out.

I know Ben, you've been having trouble with Facebook admins (who run their pages like personal fiefdoms) but I think that's the way to go, it just needs constant reinforcement bordering on the insistent (even spammy, for a while) just to cement TGA in place.

That's my thoughts for what they're worth - over and out!

I think it's fair to also post that here. :)

When I got back into hobby about 5 years ago now I ended up through podcasts finding TWF and knew nothing else so after a few months of poisoned assclownery and whining I swore off forums until December trying them out again and TWF still has some snarky posts but nowhere near where it once was, maybe that's because less traffic in AoS section. But you make a good point of spreading the love. Though, I hope new players have the wherewithall to tell when a forum is toxic after a brief honeymoon and looks elsewhere. It seems Facebook is replacing that, though it's unfortunate when some mods can't see past a strict rules enforcement for actual community support. It happens.

I can see where the FB guys are coming from.  From their perspective, Ben is coming in and saying "hey chumps, don't talk about AoS here on this stupid Facebook group, go talk about AoS on my forum instead", maybe worded a bit more respectfully but with that basic message.  They've been pretty consistent from day 1 that their group is meant for hosting AoS discossions, not pointing the way to other AoS discussions.

That said, I'm moving here for most of my AoS discussions heading forward.  :P

8 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

That said, I'm moving here for most of my AoS discussions heading forward.  :P

Yep, me too.  I didn't find TWF too bad honestly, little slow maybe, but I just lurked anyway.  Warseer, however is utterly soul destroying, no positive post goes unpunished there, even the mods are spiteful.  Luckily that is all in the past now, so thanks  Ben, this forum is exactly what I've been needing:)

11 minutes ago, Mikosan said:

Yep, me too.  I didn't find TWF too bad honestly, little slow maybe, but I just lurked anyway.  Warseer, however is utterly soul destroying, no positive post goes unpunished there, even the mods are spiteful.  Luckily that is all in the past now, so thanks  Ben, this forum is exactly what I've been needing:)

Yeah, Warseer is...well, if you can stomach any open discussion or one about GW as a company...it's quite fascinating. But I also feel bad for the few of us who want to have a discussion (joy) as an extension of the hobby (joy) and thus celebrate (joy) our hobby instead of be miserable (not joy).

I'm sure my welcome message covers all of this.  

I want TGA to be the centre of the AoS community.  Not the only place in the community.  I would love nothing more than these (TGA.Community) forums to be a barren wasteland but all the other places online being super popular and me 'curating' all that awesome stuff into a single hub, then the TGA users looking in here to find awesome places to talk about AoS.  As is happens, this is not the case so people are jumping at the chance to chat about AoS in a positive environment, and also the chance to creat their own communities here when they do not already have one.  

I love TWF, but unfortunately it is currently doing nothing for the AoS community other than having a very good events section, the general AoS section is a horrible place to be at the moment.  

Another thing that none of these forums/communities do is go out and actively encourage people to visit their site. Not a single one advertises themselves, promotes what they are doing elsewhere or does much the than supply a forum.  

My number 1 goal for this site is to invite every AoS community that I can find to come here and promote what they are doing, letting other people find out about them and help to grow each of those communities.  

If a by-product of that is us ending up with an amazing community here then that is awesome too.

Firstly I want to say thanks to Ben for putting up this site ;)

1 hour ago, Ben said:

I love TWF, but unfortunately it is currently doing nothing for the AoS community other than having a very good events section, the general AoS section is a horrible place to be at the moment.

As a mod over on TWF I agree with this. We do our best to keep most of the bile away but there's that horrible thing about free speech and people assuming they have a right to say what they want on a private forum. ¬¬

Do you have a plan @Ben for when the inevitable undesirables do creep in? Clearly, a polite word is the way to go, but once they're in, some won't be swayed. I am absolutely not advocating the sort of draconian tactics of the Facebook groups. However, I would also hate to see this place turn sour. One bad apple... 

The problem isn't letting in one or two bad apples. I think warseer would be a fine forum if there were only one or two cantankerous misanthropes spewing their hate for AOS. The problem there is that the site has more haters than supporters of the game. 

The key advantage for this forum will be the strength in numbers of the game's proponents. Also, this site is a home for AOS exclusively. I think lots of people who comment on AOS on Warseer play other games (40k, war machine, etc) or they used to play GW games but have stuck around on the forum for many years since quitting. 

But yeah, @Ben, please do ban people who are rude, hostile, or otherwise unfriendly. Criticism is fine. Maliciousness is not.

9 hours ago, Jeff Egan said:

But yeah, @Ben, please do ban people who are rude, hostile, or otherwise unfriendly. Criticism is fine. Maliciousness is not.

Plus on that, I was looking for a forum that if post something it is not criticize just because it is AoS related.

It is sad that adult people feel the need to spoil others fun, just because they play with their toy soldiers differently.

I don't like competitive play, but I get that others do. If they having fun while playing they are doing it right, and that is the most important rule for me. 

I have left Lustria Online just for the sour comments. Few new and old people tried to stay postive, had fun with the game and add something to the community, but an other few just kept bashing GW and AoS. I don't know how they're doing now, but I hope they can change it for the better.

Anyway, I'm very happy with this forum as I was looking for a friendly and thriving AoS community. Hopefully we can keep trolls out and be welcoming to new and old players alike!

It's the same with me. I left Warhammer-board also cause of the Trolls and negativity against AoS. Im glad i found tga. 

Im not against copetitive play. I do it myself but the fun comes before that. :)

This place really is where I can surround myself with like minded, positive people who just want to talk about their favourite hobby. 

TWF used to be that, but AoS really split the community and certain people seem to go out of their way to post passive aggressive rubbish about GW and AoS.

Dakka is full of venom these days, in almost every AoS thread there is someone suggesting the poster try KoW or 9th Age.

Warseer...holy ******, just no...

Even /r/warhammer is just 40k now, post anything remotely AoS related and your post is either ignored or downvoted.

I choose to be here, with you lovely lot.

20 minutes ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

This place really is where I can surround myself with like minded, positive people who just want to talk about their favourite hobby. 

TWF used to be that, but AoS really split the community and certain people seem to go out of their way to post passive aggressive rubbish about GW and AoS.

Dakka is full of venom these days, in almost every AoS thread there is someone suggesting the poster try KoW or 9th Age.

Warseer...holy ******, just no...

Even /r/warhammer is just 40k now, post anything remotely AoS related and your post is either ignored or downvoted.

I choose to be here, with you lovely lot.

Yeah, it's a sad thing indeed and I'll  never get a why these people (who somehow don't see what's wrong with what they're doing?!?!) elect to spend that hobby time instead being miserable and making everyone else as miserable as them. As a wise co-host once said, why does your happiness have to come at the expense of mine?

1 hour ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

I can already hear the crowd on certain other forums calling for free speech and not being in an echo chamber.

The difference is I'm not in this hobby for political discussions about which company is best. I'm in it for the same reason as you: because I love the hobby and want to enjoy that with other people who love it.

Some people have turned a large part of their hobby into being forum warriors fighting for their game of choice. Fine for them, but I will take my internet time elsewhere.

It's amazing that this sort of discussion is happening before my eyes yet nobody is wading in, kicking up a ruckus.  It's amazing the number of people who don't seem to get that we come to these sites to talk about what we like, not whether we should like it.

11 hours ago, hobgoblinclub said:

It's amazing that this sort of discussion is happening before my eyes yet nobody is wading in, kicking up a ruckus.  It's amazing the number of people who don't seem to get that we come to these sites to talk about what we like, not whether we should like it.

I haven't been told I'm wrong for liking anything yet either. Feels good man

After hanging about on Bolter & Chainsword for many years and being spoilt by the excellent community over there, I can tell you it was a massive culture shock when I went searching for a forum to share my love for AoS!

Praise Nagash (or that soul-thief Sigmar!:P) then for TGA! :D

Only really wanting to agree with everyone here.

Well done to Ben & I imagine a few others on creating a safe haven for us age of Sigmar fans. Oh god it feels good to say that out loud! ?

Back in in the day i would enjoy the official gw forum. But we lost that due to haters.

Then I switched to twf. Which although doing a great job, is now very split with its aligence to anyone game. 

So its so nice to have one dedicated page to come and hang out! Now I just need to get used to all the new layout and I'll be sorted ?

Archived