Stomcast Gryph-Cavalry Inbound!

Blish

Ok changed opinion once again, I'd say Dracoth base. This monster is probably the fast cav option.. but it seems somewhat bigger than the Dracoth, comparing this image to the Dracoth on the website I'd say the base vs the rider seems about the same ratio.

Are these smaller than the one above? Maybe troops vs character? (It IS troops vs char, obvious from both the helmet of the rider and the armor on the head and chest of the griffthing. It might explain a size difference which I think there might be).

The gryphs are shorter than the dracoths at the head in the unit pose (lizards have raised heads and low backends) but the riders on the gryphs sit up from the higher back so they're over the thaumaturge. The dracoth riders are just a little bit taller than an ogroid thaumaturge (source, have models side by side).

Edit/ the ogroid and the dracoth rider models are what I have side by side... obviously!

This gryph cavalry... The mounts are amazing, hands down, some of the best stuff we have seen for AOS to date.

Sadly I do not like the riders at all... They look bulky and out of place on such agile, fast mounts. The riders also look too big for the mounts and seem to be too large for the mounts to be able to carry them realistically.

Yeah, I do think that they look slightly less armoured than the usual SE, but they needed to do much more to make that apparent without having to tell us to look for that design. The shoulder armour is way too big to be called scout armour.

The gryph mount is just incredible! Really one of the nicest looking Calvary units out there by far. Those things will actually make me build a small Stormcast army to support my Sylvaneth. But as many comments have stated, wish the rider fit the fast Calvary spirit a little better. Looks like an amazing mini to paint though. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Blueisola said:

The gryph mount is just incredible! Really one of the nicest looking Calvary units out there by far. Those things will actually make me build a small Stormcast army to support my Sylvaneth. But as many comments have stated, wish the rider fit the fast Calvary spirit a little better. Looks like an amazing mini to paint though. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely love these. As if I wasn't already sold on the dracoths these just make my day. I see a cavalry heavy army in my future ?

3 hours ago, Caladancid said:

Yeah, I do think that they look slightly less armoured than the usual SE, but they needed to do much more to make that apparent without having to tell us to look for that design. The shoulder armour is way too big to be called scout armour.

If you leave off the second larger shoulder pad and cut / file down the bump and fill any holes up,  it REALLY trims down the siloeute of stormcasts a lot.

It won't have the ornate inlays but it will definitely tone down the bulk look and give a much more lightly armored scout appearance.

Cannot wait for these. Hopefully the Battletome is up for preorder sooner rather than later.

Planning on taking a full Stormcast Cavalry list (if viably possible) to Heat 2 of the Grand Tournament in April.

Hopefully it'll look awesome on the table with Dracoth Riders being backed up by Gryph-Chargers.

I really like the first picture - what I assume to be a character model or prime. The mount looks great. Not so excited by the look of the standard troop mounts in the second picture, but that could be down to the flat teal colour scheme.

Not currently a Stormcast collector, but I may very well get the character model just to paint up. I think with a John Blanche-esque colour scheme that could look amazing.

I'm liking the look of the new Vanguard Chamber miniatures and am considering getting into Stormcast (never thought I would be saying this) just for those. Previously played some WHFB but still haven't played any AoS yet (the wounds have taken some time to heal).

Any recommendations on essential figures to pick up? I see that there is a new battletome coming out. Should I wait until after this is released before committing to anything or will it not change a great deal? Also, is there actually any solid information on the new releases and how they will play?

Anyway, looking forward to these!

Hi @ZaelART. I agree the new models look great.

The battletome is available for pre-order from tomorrow so unless you are in a rush then it is probably worth waiting till you can get your hands on it. If you wanted a sneak peak you can check out the latest white drawf which has a battle report worth looking at.

Archived