Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was lucky enough to get my hands on the book a little early. I've just finished my first game with the new list and I thought I'd share how it went. List was 

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Bloodsecrator (120)

Blood forged armour
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Bloodbathed Axe
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Bloodbathed Axe
Skullmaster, Herald of Khorne (100)
Crimson Crown
Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (360)
General- Immense Power
Deathdealer

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Reaver Blades
30 x Bloodletters (300)
30 x Bloodletters (300)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (80)
Murderhost (20)
Total: 2000/2000

I play against a mixed Destruction list that was roughly.

Troll Hag 
Shaman
10 Brutes 
6 Trolls x2
10 orruks x3

Thoughts buffing the letters with +1 and whipping them lets them murder things so quickly. I managed a first turn charge and just ate a unit of Brutes. The Bloodthirster is rather powerful too doing d3+2 wounds, he will eat elite units alive. 

I didnt really get a chance to try to try out the Blood tithe table as my opponent gave up at the bottom of turn 2. But I had 3 points already. Not sure what I would have chosen to use. 

All in all i really like the list and potential synergies.

2 minutes ago, Jaehaerys said:

Hello all,

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, I'm new. Can I run a daemon battalion and a mortal bloodbound one in the same 2k army?

Thanks!

Sometimes, it depends per Battalion. :) The really juicy Daemonic Battalions exclude Mortals. 

Though as before, Battalions arn't the main selling point for this book. Doesn't mean there are no good Battalions in there but it's more of a handful than a book full.

1 minute ago, Strykehammer said:

I was lucky enough to get my hands on the book a little early. I've just finished my first game with the new list and I thought I'd share how it went. List was 

- snip -

Thoughts buffing the letters with +1 and whipping them lets them murder things so quickly. I managed a first turn charge and just ate a unit of Brutes. The Bloodthirster is rather powerful too doing d3+2 wounds, he will eat elite units alive. 

I didnt really get a chance to try to try out the Blood tithe table as my opponent gave up at the bottom of turn 2. But I had 3 points already. Not sure what I would have chosen to use. 

All in all i really like the list and potential synergies.

Great! Nice early battle, Ill have to wait for the weekend.

Bloodletters and Bloodthirsters are most certainly two of my favourites now. They allready where good but are straight up slaughter machines if you want to go for it.

Not being able to use a lot of the Blood Tithe table isn't too uncommon, games get too dangerous if you do get a lot of use out of it. As per Totems and Abilities to be it's a very nice addition that can be helpful sometimes but I can't see myself going beyond 3 often. Though the beauty is that these bonusses are allready excellent. 

Synergies is what brought me here and some are just very incredible. Love for the lovegod :P 

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, I'm new. Can I run a daemon battalion and a mortal bloodbound one in the same 2k army?

No need to apologise. Yes you can. You can run any combination of Battalions in the same Grand Alliance if you have enough points. If you want to keep Khorne Allegiance (which is presumably the point of your question), then the Allegiance requirement is that all the Warscrolls have the keyword Khorne. If you do that, then you would have access to the Khorne Allegiance Pack (Battle Traits, Command Traits, Artefacts and Prayers). 

They don't all have to have Mortal and Khorne or Daemon and Khorne. However, some units may become Battleline units if the army meets a more specific allegiance.

Note that the Battalions themselves don't need to have that Allegiance - this is clarified in the DoT book. Also note that on the other hand any unit in a Battalion can inherit the Allegiance of that Battalion (for example an Order Wizard in Gnarlroot can be Sylvaneth Allegiance).

39 minutes ago, Nico said:

No need to apologise. Yes you can. You can run any combination of Battalions in the same Grand Alliance if you have enough points. If you want to keep Khorne Allegiance (which is presumably the point of your question), then the Allegiance requirement is that all the Warscrolls have the keyword Khorne. If you do that, then you would have access to the Khorne Allegiance Pack (Battle Traits, Command Traits, Artefacts and Prayers). 

They don't all have to have Mortal and Khorne or Daemon and Khorne. However, some units may become Battleline units if the army meets a more specific allegiance.

Note that the Battalions themselves don't need to have that Allegiance - this is clarified in the DoT book. Also note that on the other hand any unit in a Battalion can inherit the Allegiance of that Battalion (for example an Order Wizard in Gnarlroot can be Sylvaneth Allegiance).

Cool thanks. I was looking at running something similar to Strykehammer actually with pilgrims and murderhost.

53 minutes ago, wayniac said:

Quick question "for a friend", with the new book is it possible (even, dare I say it, good?) to run a mono-daemon Khorne build?  I.e. 100% daemons, no mortal heroes or anything.

I reckon it's pretty feasible to run a Daemon list.  There's some quite nice movement buffing to be found in the new battalions which will go a way to resolving some of the "getting into combat" issues.  You'd probably be looking at 2~3 Blood Thirsters to get the most out of it though!

10 minutes ago, Galas said:

Daemon Khorne just need a more Infantry Elite unit to be rounded as a very flexible and complete faction/army, I think.

Hide contents

yup, that'll do it!

@Galas Actually I think you have a great point, as daemon armies are essentially walky stuff, fasty stuff and big killy stuff - no walky killy stuff.

I'd like to see that, a more savage a bigger more brutal letter, perhaps more of the armoured guys shown in some of the paintings. I suppose crushers are supposed to fill the role, combining fasty and killy but still falling a little short of the mark.

Anyway, once mammoths and skinwolves receive marks again all will be good within the nerdsphere as far as I'm concerned.  Oh and plastic flesh hounds that look as good as Khul's.

You'll really enjoy reading the book, I too have got a copy early and I promised myself I'd immerse myself in the fluff and stuff first before swinging the final pages open.  The cards are really good, and the bonus blood tithe cards are a nice touch. :)

Yeah. Thats the reason I have never comited to a Daemon army. I always find them with little variation (Thats why my army in the past was Orcs and Goblins, I just love all the options they gived me!). Yeah, you can combine the basic infantry of the 4 chaos gods to have flavours of infantry, but if I want my Bloodletters to have variation, like shielded blodletters, 2 handed blodletters, elite blodletters with armour, etc... I really can't find that in demons.

We are in luck tought. Age of Sigmar its the Age of Fleshed out factions! So more fleshed God-themed demon armys can be a posibility in the future!

I just wanted to add an addendum to my other post now that I've slept and had some caffeine. 

Slaughterpriest's are really good now, more so in the Gore Pillgrim battalion. I managed 8 mortal wounds with the Blood bind ability in one turn. It can be used to good effect to clear almost dead units or put the hurt on big monsters. I still managed to do d3 wounds to myself with the reroll but it's bound to happen eventually. The two blessing I choose were +1 to hit and heal d3 heal wounds. The first is to buff the Bloodletters giving them more mortal wounds and the second is to heal the Bloodthirster and/or the Bloodsecrator and Slaughterpriest's.

As I said I didn't get a good chance to put the force through its paces but I can see some real power here. First turn charges with a large Bloodletters unit, fantastic anti magic, almost army wide immune to battle shock and lots of bodies for objectives.

Skull take just got a bit of a bump... the battalion can now have 0-2 units of blood warriors or reavers as part of it. happy days.

I have to say that all the batallions have I think had a bit of a tweak, Gore Pilgrims and blood forged are currently my faves.

7 hours ago, wayniac said:

Quick question "for a friend", with the new book is it possible (even, dare I say it, good?) to run a mono-daemon Khorne build?  I.e. 100% daemons, no mortal heroes or anything.

Certainly, you can have a blast, though it helps looking for those juicy Battalions. By comparison Daemons of Khorne have stronger Battalions but then again by comparison Mortals of Khorne have more synergy so there is that. 

4 hours ago, Galas said:

Daemon Khorne just need a more Infantry Elite unit to be rounded as a very flexible and complete faction/army, I think.

Hide contents

You mean that Wrathmongers and Khorgoraths should have the Daemon tag aswell? Because if so, I agree :P 

3 hours ago, chord said:

Did they not give the starter set battalion points this time around?

Which one do you mean or want to know? Also keep in mind that BoK does not invalidate the use of older Bloodbound Battalions either at this point. I know BoK doesn't have all in them but that doesn't (at this point) remove older options.

1 hour ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Gore Pilgrims and blood forged are currently my faves.

Gore Pilgrims has to be one of the best thing we got out of this what with the new prayers. Can see 2 Slaughter Priest Gore Pilgrim being a staple of many lists.

15 minutes ago, Gilby said:

Gore Pilgrims has to be one of the best thing we got out of this what with the new prayers. Can see 2 Slaughter Priest Gore Pilgrim being a staple of many lists.

[Out of likes for today] Yeah I love that Slaughterpriest got their Battalion for the fans. As said on the FB pages I think we're only missing two minor things out of this book that could have made it a 10/10 (8/10 now, but 8's the number of Khorne heh)

1. Battalion(s) who mixed Mortals, Bloodbound and Daemons for a nice benifit. <- I think most of our armies will end up mixed anyway but it would be very fluffy if we could represent this, even if it only was thanks to a minor buff.
2. More characters on a Juggernaut. I love the Khorne Lord on Juggernaut but think that fluffwise a Slaughterpriests should be able to ride one aswell. <- We still got a very nice suprise from ForgeWorld awaiting us but I don't think I can muster the spare cash for that Dragon, despite it being so awesome.

The above two points are really minor though and frankly speaking I absolutely love the love we're recieving from Games Workshop as we technically don't have new models comming out but we do ;) 

Bloodbound.jpg 

Lot of new and cool things in this battletome, especially against magic

but i feel khorne is still lacking against a heavy ranged army... except maybe the goretide, we don't have THAT MUCH more speed, and no protection against ranged attacks... am i wrong ?

dont forget, when they get around to doing slaves to darkness they will be loads of battalions with god specific stuff, archaon stuff and general slaves to darkness stuff. 

i fully expect to see something including the warshrine, gorebeast chariots etc etc. then we'll be able to stack the mono god allegiance on top of that.  

that book is going to be extremely carefully worded to prevent utter breakage 

4 minutes ago, ledha said:

but i feel khorne is still lacking against a heavy ranged army... except maybe the goretide, we don't have THAT MUCH more speed, and no protection against ranged attacks... am i wrong ?

Depends how you look at it, Brass Stampede is still efficient, Bloodthirsters have become better as ever, The Goretide units move D6" more, faster Bloodletters, Blood Tithe... Ranged can certainly kill but we can move!

3 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

dont forget, when they get around to doing slaves to darkness they will be loads of battalions with god specific stuff, archaon stuff and general slaves to darkness stuff. 

i fully expect to see something including the warshrine, gorebeast chariots etc etc. then we'll be able to stack the mono god allegiance on top of that.  

that book is going to be extremely carefully worded to prevent utter breakage 

Sorry to break it but I think this is where the massive change is comming, as the fast mayority of this sub-faction comes from WFB. What I expect is that we'll have Everchosen become our AoS Black Legion, giving bonusses to mixed Mark armies, the more Marks the better sort of thing.

Just now, Kaleb Daark said:

are these conversions of yours? they're really good - love the poses. Tell me more... I'm all eyeballs.

Shadespire, the only reason to buy the box ;).

2 minutes ago, Killax said:

Sorry to break it but I think this is where the massive change is coming, as the fast majority of this sub-faction comes from WFB. What I expect is that we'll have Everchosen become our AoS Black Legion, giving bonuses to mixed Mark armies, the more Marks the better sort of thing.

id be happy with that. be epic. have a whole army in which archaon can swap god worship back an forth. with bonuses for each. epic. 

1 hour ago, ledha said:

Regarding the speed point at least:

Battalions

Murderhost gives you a 2D6" move at set up with potential for 2D6" in every phase if you maxed it out (so 4D6" if you took first turn).

Council of blood lets you use the run and charge with +1" to each and re-roll charge rolls on top of general's command ability.

Blood Hunt gives you 2D6" move in ever hero phase.

Slaughterborn can charge in hero phase if general is in combat near them.

Goretide (as you mentioned) get the D6 move.

Blood Tithe

Bloody Exemplar can let you use a command ability again which could help with movement.

Murderlust lets you move (and run I assume) or charge in hero phase.

Apoplectic Frenzy for a pile in with the Bloodthirsters 6" pile in could help (not to mention another round of attacks).

Artifacts and Traits

Banner of Blood lets you re-roll charges.

Talisman of Burning Blood adds 1 to run and charge rolls of nearby units.

Unrivalled Battlelust lets your general charge in opponents charge phase.

Violent Urgency lets you re-roll charges.

Other

Gore Pilgrims letting Priests re-roll prayers means the prayer to force your opponent to run at you is more likely to go off.

Bloodstokers whips couple well with the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster who will be more able to use his ability.

Mighty Lord of Khorne's command ability to roll 3 dice and pick highest 2 will be even better with all the re-roll and +x" floating about.

There are probably a couple of other things I've not thought of, but looks like a fair few ways. With so many I imagine anyone who doesn't play Khorne is going to get a few nasty surprises and people will start to think of them as being pretty speedy army. Will have to see how it goes though.

Archived