Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

Gilby has it right.  We have a lot of new ways of moving,  boosting our moves, and moving out of phase.  All combined - Khorne CAN be fast, it just means we need to stack things together to get that way.  This is a huge change from many Khorne players previous reliance on clicking the Sayl button and moving across the board.  I imagine it'll take some time to figure out different combinations of abilities that work well with different types of lists and how to best juggle blood tithes in a game.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the initial disappointment that the skullcannon and Skull/bloodcrushers are still not Viable, I'm excited by some of the battalions.

The crushers are viable if taken enmass in battalions, but the Cannon is still way too expensive and expect is price to drop in ghb2 when GW realises people still don't take them.

Looking forward to picking up the book on Saturday

I've been religiously studying the leaked battalions and struck by the number that require Skullreapers.  I can see that they're going to rapidly appear as a mainstaple in most Bloodbound armies in multiples of two or three - would be quite easy to go crazy on them though!

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

I've been religiously studying the leaked battalions and struck by the number that require Skullreapers.  I can see that they're going to rapidly appear as a mainstaple in most Bloodbound armies in multiples of two or three - would be quite easy to go crazy on them though!

it's about the only way that they'll sell those monstrosities....

ehhh Lad.... I think I've just found a use and excuse for buying skin wolves :D

Thanks RB!!!

11 hours ago, Arkiham said:

id be happy with that. be epic. have a whole army in which archaon can swap god worship back an forth. with bonuses for each. epic. 

I'm willing to bet money that it's going that path, much more as some might thing. Not only is there a very clear back and forth inspiration going on. I don't think it's impossible to see GW produce a book named Warhammer which allows you to combine both AoS with 40K. Both will soon be in universes that are different from what they where the last 25 years and on top of that the logo of AoS' sun and the 40K eagle just fit a little bit too good ;) : "WARHAMMER"
Warhammer.jpg 

In addition to that I think that the biggest advantage of a blend is that hobbyists of all kinds can join and have fun. Obviously there will be a large camp that can't accept it or won't accept it but I think the key here is that you can play AoS and 40K in a seperate system and all such a Warhammer book would do is allow friends of all kinds to embrace all minis produced from GW.

Back to relevant Chaos!
- In essence Blades of Khorne is the AoS variant of Khorne Daemonkin, what I'd like to call the upcomming World Eaters for next edition. What I see is that GW is finally able to fully embrace the Chaos god pantheon and capable of making all these models unique within one alliance. It also means that the highly armoured Chaos Warriors will likely be the domain of what will be the Everchosen the AoS variant of Black Legion, both led by the biggest and baddest Chaos cultists of them all.
- Desciples of Tzeentch gave us (I believe) the first non-Daemon box that was actually used for both systems. Tzaangors with hand weapons and shields for AoS, Tzaangors with guns for 40K. Slowly but surely we see the overlap. 

Blades of Khorne's pieces are also fantastic to use for any World Eater or Daemonkin army and I can only fully embrace the time where we will see Red Butchers return to 40K with the possability to use Skullreaper bits for them, because honestly that's exactly what they are :D 

Cheers,

1 hour ago, Kaleb Daark said:

it's about the only way that they'll sell those monstrosities....

ehhh Lad.... I think I've just found a use and excuse for buying skin wolves :D

Thanks RB!!!

They're amazing models! I love my skullreapers.

Those new Shadespire Bloodreavers are amazing. GW are nailing it with Khorne models in board games, I'm hoping that we get Warhammer Quest: Brass Citadel as the third instalment with plastic fleshhounds, a plastic Herald and a plastic Lord on Jugger.

Im going absolutely list crazy.

so, just come back from lunch, and took a box of grey knights back to gw for a refund.  Cool I thought, quids in.

Until I saw the slaugherstorm box on his shelf and mysteriously I walked out with that, a bloodbound box, and a box of wrathfarmers.

on top of the 80 bloodreavers I've already got and the various slaves to darkness bits I've got going on in my painting thread... I'll be drawing my pension by the time this lot's done!

The thing that annoys me most?...  had I not rage quit thanks to our previous store manager hating AoS and trying to put everyone off it, I would have still had my 24 mortal and 24 daemon crushers.... oh well.

Quick question for those more used to playing Khorne.

Trying to fulfill my battlelines after having Skarbrand, 2 BT and 2 Bloodsecrators, I came to the following: 30 Bloodletters, 10 blood warriors and 10 bloodletter.

I would love to be able to field some fleshounds (They are fast for objective grabbing or getting to support units, and that unbind opportunity is good.) so I need another 100 points which right now I don't have, so could I split my blood warriors in 2 units of 5 and remove the last 10 bloodletter to fit them in? Or do blood warriors need to be in units of 10?

11 minutes ago, kaintxu said:

Quick question for those more used to playing Khorne.

Trying to fulfill my battlelines after having Skarbrand, 2 BT and 2 Bloodsecrators, I came to the following: 30 Bloodletters, 10 blood warriors and 10 bloodletter.

I would love to be able to field some fleshounds (They are fast for objective grabbing or getting to support units, and that unbind opportunity is good.) so I need another 100 points which right now I don't have, so could I split my blood warriors in 2 units of 5 and remove the last 10 bloodletter to fit them in? Or do blood warriors need to be in units of 10?

wht sort of points are you playing Kainxtu?

looking into 2k. So far I have the following + 80 points for the council of blood.

Leaders
Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (360)
Bloodthirster Of Insensate Rage (280)
Skarbrand (400)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodsecrator (120)

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (300)
10 x Bloodletters (100)
10 x Blood Warriors (200)

I only own 1 bloodsecrator, but thought that 2 would be better as 1 is too easy to take out with spells and such even if you conga backwards the big units.

4 hours ago, Arkiham said:

They're amazing models! I love my skullreapers.

Well honestly I do too! However you do have to be willing to explore the box. I just think the way GW has them represented on the cover and the booklet explains how to build that is just forcing you to create them in the most ugly way as possible.

Heck, there is even enough stuff in there to build your own Gorechosen, you can easily build an Exalted Deathrbinger out of it, Skullgrinder or Aspirig Deathbringers!

So here's the little sneak peak of what I'm working on. An easy kit-bash! While a little time consuming I'm allready convinced that these Mighty Skullcrushers will blend in much better as the ones specifically made for Warriors of Chaos. In addition the 4+ armour save doesn't hurt my eyes when they have less armour on them ;)

WIP_sk.jpg The great thing about them versus Skullcrushers is that their size is just perfect.

3 hours ago, BloodBeast said:

Those new Shadespire Bloodreavers are amazing. GW are nailing it with Khorne models in board games, I'm hoping that we get Warhammer Quest: Brass Citadel as the third instalment with plastic fleshhounds, a plastic Herald and a plastic Lord on Jugger.

Im going absolutely list crazy.

I completely agree. I am very happy that we are the 'bad guy', while it's certainly possible that next edition will depict another opponent for the Stormcast the ammount of love Khorne is getting is just amazing for me as a die-hard Khorne fan. 

The beauty of the Khorne Lord is that you can easily create one yourself. For that I'm going to use the upperhalf of the Exalted Deathbringer, again mixed with pieces of the Skullcrusher box. The only downside to that model is that some goofball decided that the axe needed a rock on the base...

4 minutes ago, kaintxu said:

looking into 2k. So far I have the following + 80 points for the council of blood.

Leaders
Skarbrand (400)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodsecrator (120)

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (300)
10 x Bloodletters (100)

I only own 1 bloodsecrator, but thought that 2 would be better as 1 is too easy to take out with spells and such even if you conga backwards the big units.

Solid, I'd even say that I don't feel you need those Blood Warriors and can stack up with 2 big units of Bloodletters instead. The thing with the above is that 3 Bloodthirsters are very pricey, so you really need to love them. I'm fairly certain they will do their job, the real question just is if your willing to forgo all options of attrition. With this I mean that I personally prefer the use of a single Bloodthirster because the rest of the army can really swarm well if you have such a big target flying around.

Cheers,

6 hours ago, Killax said:

Honestly I quite like the Skullreaper and Wrathmonger models. You just have to toss the booklet and keep in mind the weaponry. Will try to share a WIP soon. 

Best part of the box is the left bits.

Yeah I'm currently using some of the left over bits from wrathmongers to make my 2 x starter box warriors have double axes, a banner and a goreglaive. I've also seen suggestions of using two boxes to make wrathmongers and then buying a box of warriors and using the bits to turn them into skullreapers. £138 worth of figures for £106.50 isn't bad.

1 hour ago, kaintxu said:

Leaders
Skarbrand (400)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodsecrator (120)

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (300)
10 x Bloodletters (100)

What about the following? Get another artifact that could be something to make the bloodsecrator more durable. Also with the prayers (re-rollable!) you have the flexibility to take something like heal D3 to keep him alive even longer, or help keep the bloodthirsters going, not to mention +1 to attacks or saves or the D6 mortal wounds. The +12" range on the bloodsecrator will also help keep it out of trouble.... I love the Gore Pilgrim battalion if I didn't make that clear! :P

Leaders
Skarbrand (400)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughter Priest (100)
Slaughter Priest (100)

Battleline
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
10 x Blood Reavers (70)
30 x Blood Letters (300)

Council of Blood (80)
Gore Pilgrims (80)

1 hour ago, Gilby said:

Yeah I'm currently using some of the left over bits from wrathmongers to make my 2 x starter box warriors have double axes, a banner and a goreglaive. I've also seen suggestions of using two boxes to make wrathmongers and then buying a box of warriors and using the bits to turn them into skullreapers. £138 worth of figures for £106.50 isn't bad.

What about the following? Get another artifact that could be something to make the bloodsecrator more durable. Also with the prayers (re-rollable!) you have the flexibility to take something like heal D3 to keep him alive even longer, or help keep the bloodthirsters going, not to mention +1 to attacks or saves or the D6 mortal wounds. The +12" range on the bloodsecrator will also help keep it out of trouble.... I love the Gore Pilgrim battalion if I didn't make that clear! :P

Leaders
Skarbrand (400)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughter Priest (100)
Slaughter Priest (100)

Battleline
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
10 x Blood Reavers (70)
30 x Blood Letters (300)

Council of Blood (80)
Gore Pilgrims (80)

maybe i'm wrong, but doesn't the gore pilgrim bataillon make only the "natural" prayers rerollable ? Does it really apply to the other prayers as well ?

3 minutes ago, ledha said:

maybe i'm wrong, but doesn't the gore pilgrim bataillon make only the "natural" prayers rerollable ? Does it really apply to the other prayers as well ?

The Bloodfuelled Prayer or Blood Blessing of Khorne can be re-rolled.

7 minutes ago, ledha said:

Both the new prayers and old prayers can be re-rolled and a priest can cast one of the old prayers on their warscroll AND a new prayer in the same turn.

I really like the new skulltake battalion.

Especially being able to fill it up and make the blood Warriors sing.

It really makes the Lord of Khorne on a juggernaught's command ability sing when 5+ to wound is doing 2 damage if you charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Gilby said:

Leaders
Skarbrand (400)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughter Priest (100)
Slaughter Priest (100)

Battleline
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
10 x Blood Reavers (70)
30 x Blood Letters (300)

Council of Blood (80)
Gore Pilgrims (80)

What do you mean by take another Artifact?

i do like the list but I'm afraid that if enemy has some long range, bloodsecrator will be sniped making me lose half of the bloodletters attack

are slaughter priest actually good?

What do you mean by take another Artifact?

i do like the list but I'm afraid that if enemy has some long range, bloodsecrator will be sniped making me lose half of the bloodletters attack
are slaughter priest actually good?

Every battalion you take allows you to get another artifact.

Slaughterpriests seem much better now that they have buffing prayers.

The formation that allows you to re-roll the prayer roll makes them much more reliable. Yet I would probably pick a prayer I want to cast twice as 75% is failable. 75% with another chance if the re-roll doesn't work is much more sure.

Would it be overkill to make a bloodsecrator general to give him the khorne mortal trait to ignore wounds/MWs on 5s and 6s. And also the artefact to ignore rend below -2? 

The only BT I have is Skarbrand so I dont really have many leaders worth putting a command trait on. 

7 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

Would it be overkill to make a bloodsecrator general to give him the khorne mortal trait to ignore wounds/MWs on 5s and 6s. And also the artefact to ignore rend below -2? 

The only BT I have is Skarbrand so I dont really have many leaders worth putting a command trait on. 

nope! fill your boots.  No more overkill than taking a slaves to darkness compendium wizard to catapult your troops across the table and backing them up with a half dozen storm fiends ... because chaos. :)

I don't think that trait is very good for the bloodsecrator because it only works in the combat phase.

He almost never sees combat.

Violent Urgency to give the other units re-rolls on charges seems stronger.

Archived