Let's chat Disciples of Tzeentch

Nico

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cancelled my order of Tzeentch models worth about £400 when I heard about this stormcast release 

I'm not buying an army which is going to be immediately made subpar, I'd rather wait until I see what they have so I don't buy stuff which just ends up on the shelf it's entire life.

It's got to the point where I'm selling a large portion of my collection as it's not going to see play as there's no synergy at all with them or they're just unusable unless I spend a large amount of money making it just about viable.

So, as it stands I will only be using my existing mortal tzeentch models.

From squinting at the White Dwarf images I have seen it doesn't look like the major big bad teleporting battalions (Warrior Brotherhood, Skyborne Slayers) can be part of these warrior chamber mega battalions. I was looking at the hammers of sigmar one since I painted my stormcast in that color scheme. I know it's cheesy but I love the gold look so much! First time I ever painted an army like the box or codex. So maybe it won't be so bad as they will be limited to Vexillor teleporting or the other minor teleporting battalions like Hammerstrike. Not that these are crappy, but not the whole army teleports at least. Anyone with a white dwarf in hand able to verify?

41 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

I cancelled my order of Tzeentch models worth about £400 when I heard about this stormcast release 

I'm not buying an army which is going to be immediately made subpar, I'd rather wait until I see what they have so I don't buy stuff which just ends up on the shelf it's entire life.

It's got to the point where I'm selling a large portion of my collection as it's not going to see play as there's no synergy at all with them or they're just unusable unless I spend a large amount of money making it just about viable.

So, as it stands I will only be using my existing mortal tzeentch models.

I think that's a bit extreme, but to each their own.  It's one army, which has to take a full 6 leader choices in a battalion to become eligible, plus we don't know how much that big battalion is going to cost in points yet; all for a 2/3 chance of stopping offensive spells.

To me that means that my opponent has spent a load of points on something that won't affect a number of forces and I'll still get 1/3 of my spells off against him.  We've got a fair amount of short / medium ranged shooting with the daemons, and Tzaangor in all of their forms appear to be really good on paper.

I'm optimistic that we'll be fine.

So I am still considering Tzeentch as I have a box of cultists and have been eyeing Tzaangor.  But my concern is the army is frail; I've had my share of frail forces with Flesh-eater Courts (yes, even with that ward save) and don't want another one.  Tzaangor however seem like they are neat.  I do really like those cultists models though...

Changeling paired with Lil Archaon in a Change host seem like really good Assassins. Likely need Fateweaver to do this reliably though.

Eg:

1. Roll destiny dice. You're looking for a 5 or 6.

2. Find the best hero/behemoth in the Opponents army. Deploy the Changeling close... but not too close.

3. When it's your turn, activate Infusion Arcanum with Archaon to up his hit and wound rolls. Optional if you got a 6 with a destiny die.

4. Swap Archaon with the Changeling.

5. Charge big beastie and use Destiny dice + Fateweaver to kill threat and profit.

Just one of the things you can do. Up against a horde? Sacrifice a Gaunt Summoner instead of Archaon. Maybe have him activate Treacherous Bond before swapping.

Changeling really is key for the Changehost.

First time to AOS here! Last time I played fantasy was when the metal blood thirster. Ran an army of him, 20 blood letters, 5 hounds and a juggernaught. Fly up, fly down, gg.

So!

Picked up, 2x Tzaangors, 2x disc riders, 1 disc shaman, the ogre. Have a start collecting box, box of pinks, lord of change, box of blues, coming this week. Really excited with what I see in this game and army. 

Will agree with some others, the idea of Sigmar list coming on the heels of this book, with teleporting immune to magic nonsense.. is a tad disheartening !

31 minutes ago, Lou_Cypher said:

Changeling paired with Lil Archaon in a Change host seem like really good Assassins. Likely need Fateweaver to do this reliably though.

Eg:

1. Roll destiny dice. You're looking for a 5 or 6.

2. Find the best hero/behemoth in the Opponents army. Deploy the Changeling close... but not too close.

3. When it's your turn, activate Infusion Arcanum with Archaon to up his hit and wound rolls. Optional if you got a 6 with a destiny die.

4. Swap Archaon with the Changeling.

5. Charge big beastie and use Destiny dice + Fateweaver to kill threat and profit.

Just one of the things you can do. Up against a horde? Sacrifice a Gaunt Summoner instead of Archaon. Maybe have him activate Treacherous Bond before swapping.

Changeling really is key for the Changehost.

cant swap archaon

So, I've been looking into mortal tzeentch more, as I've decided to wait until this stormcast book and likely ghb2.0 launches so I know what points I have to work with etc before buying anything new. 

How does the fatesworn warband work with Daemonic/mortal heroes.

As I'm thinking about taking say the chaos lord on Daemonic Mount, this would give him rend 1 on all his weapons, if I give him a trait for Daemonic units for increased rend it would take his rend to 2 on his weapon and his mount. Correct? 

I was also considering making him a combat beast by taking the daemonspark trait and the daemonheart, this should also stack and could give his weapon 4 damage for a turn.

As we can improve his ability with a spell, Arcane transformation, and give him an extra attack.

A good combat phase could see him doing 20+ damage, 5 attacks 3+3+-1 4 damage each, and 3 attacks 3+4+-1 3 damage, without too much difficulty. Max damage of 29 damage.

Even if 1 of each got through that's 7 damage :o

Being marked tzeentch he can reroll his saves, and has a 5+ against mortal wounds, so he's tankish. Easy enough to increase his save to a 3+ if needed,

under the battalion he can cast Arcane Bolt so that frees up a spell for other wizards, not forgetting his mounts.

After that though he'd be meh, so it's all or nothing lol.

5 minutes ago, Arkiham said:
Spoiler

So, I've been looking into mortal tzeentch more, as I've decided to wait until this stormcast book and likely ghb2.0 launches so I know what points I have to work with etc.

As I'm thinking about taking say the chaos lord on Daemonic Mount, this would give him rend 1 on all his weapons, if I give him a trait for Daemonic units for increased rend it would take his rend to 2 on his weapon and his mount. Correct? 

I was also considering making him a combat beast by taking the daemonspark trait and the daemonheart, this should also stack and could give his weapon 4 damage for a turn.

As we can improve his ability with a spell, Arcane transformation, and give him an extra attack.

A good combat phase could see him doing 20+ damage, 5 attacks 3+3+-1 4 damage each, and 3 attacks 3+4+-1 3 damage, without too much difficulty. Max damage of 29 damage.

Being marked tzeentch he can reroll his saves, and has a 5+ against mortal wounds, so he's tankish. Easy enough to increase his save to a 3+ if needed,

under the battalion he can cast Arcane Bolt so that frees up a spell for other wizards, not forgetting his mounts.

Not a terrible idea.  He buffs chariots so take lots of gorebeasts, make use of destiny to get high charges, and land a powerful first blow.

If you're worried about frailty try to work in the stuff that adds to bravery.  Make sure to have an arcanite cabal if possible to get enough spells out so that mystic shield and shield of fate is always running.  Also consider stuff that brings models back.

This. Consider using them in a larger unit with a shaman sat with them, so he can consistently cast shield of fate and mystic on them, provide a mortal wound from their banner as a wizard, and deal mortal wounds to whatever they're fighting to replenish models.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

On 1/31/2017 at 7:04 PM, Arkiham said:

So, I've been looking into mortal tzeentch more, as I've decided to wait until this stormcast book and likely ghb2.0 launches so I know what points I have to work with etc before buying anything new. 

Chaos Sorcerer Lord to be able to re roll 1s and fills a Fatesworn requirement.

Archived