Let's chat Disciples of Tzeentch

Nico

I'm having trouble coming up with a 2k list. I want to go Tzaangor heavy but the battalions are meh at best. I'm thinking 2×Alter-Kin plus Shaman will help with model loses. I just done like the Arcanite battalions cuz they force you to take stuff you don't want to take. Acolytes are crap and why take Skyfires when I can do more dmg with free spells? 

On the competitive side there is also first turn to consider. If you have more then 3 drops prepare to take a early beating. I'm thinking a mixed list would be good if you don't care about first turn priority 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey folks!

Jut finished making 30 pink horrors out of the present plastics.

Found 90 metal 2nd edition (single horror type era) horrors in my closet.... anyone have an ideas on how these could be used?

I thought maybe put 4 on a base and call it a chaos spawn?

11 minutes ago, Malfallax said:

Apparently nearly all of the Slaves to Darkness can be used as DoT if we take the Tzeench keyword.

So which of them are good supplements to our army and WHY ?

you can run a chaos lord on daemonic mount and give him either 2 rend on all his attacks or give him 4 damage and 3 damage on his mounts attacks allowing you do deal up to like 29 damage on the guy, not bad for a 140 point model. 

6 hours ago, Flindt said:

Does anyone know if you are allowed to use Kairos to fill the "Lord of Change" slot in the Changehost battalion (since Kairos has the LoC keyword)?

1 hour ago, Arkiham said:

yes, there is a FAQ saying this is fine

Nope, sorry. The FAQ from desember 2016 states that all keywords in battalion requirements are printed in bold. See for example Horror Hero in the same battalion. Since the Lord of Change is not printed in bold, it refers to the unit name, not the keyword.

4 hours ago, Arkiham said:

you can run a chaos lord on daemonic mount and give him either 2 rend on all his attacks or give him 4 damage and 3 damage on his mounts attacks allowing you do deal up to like 29 damage on the guy, not bad for a 140 point model. 

I understand the 1st part via Phantasmal Weapons.

How do you do the other version?

It seems like folks are gravitating to the unit of 30 tzaangors for the extra attacks. The more and more I play with the numbers, the more I think that's overkill. It's doubtful you'll get all 12 greatweapons in combat most of the time if your opponent is saavy. Seems like a unit of 20 could still get work done, especially if you take the batallion that lets them pile in and fight during the hero phase. I'm going back and forth between 2 units of 20 or a unit of 20 and unit of 10.

Also, is anyone else looking at Brimstones as some of the best chaff in the game? 10 wounds for 60 points. I'll take two units just to clog charge lanes.

Apparently nearly all of the Slaves to Darkness can be used as DoT if we take the Tzeench keyword.
So which of them are good supplements to our army and WHY ?

A chaos lord on a daemonic mount and a unit of gorebeast chariots would be very handy with being able to ensure the charge roll was 8+ for getting more gorebeast fist attacks.

The lord is decently fighty, had mortal wound defense and re-rolls failed saves naturally when Tzeentch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Honcho said:

It seems like folks are gravitating to the unit of 30 tzaangors for the extra attacks. The more and more I play with the numbers, the more I think that's overkill. It's doubtful you'll get all 12 greatweapons in combat most of the time if your opponent is saavy. Seems like a unit of 20 could still get work done, especially if you take the batallion that lets them pile in and fight during the hero phase. I'm going back and forth between 2 units of 20 or a unit of 20 and unit of 10.

Also, is anyone else looking at Brimstones as some of the best chaff in the game? 10 wounds for 60 points. I'll take two units just to clog charge lanes.

I'm looking at a lot of Brimstones to fill in gaps in a Changehost 

On 2017-02-08 at 0:24 PM, Arkiham said:

Make him general and give him a item.

Daemon spark and daemon heart.

Once per battle things but that turn you'll " FSU "

So, are you allowed to take a Gift and a Artefact because the little blurb on the Gift section says to 'treat gifts like artefacts for the purpose of how many you can have in your army" but not specifically saying for how many you can have on a Hero?

To me, it seems like you can only have one artefact on a Hero, and if we are supposed to treat Gifts like Artefacts, shouldn't you not be able to run both?  It does say 'for the purpose of how many you can have in your army,' but isn't 1 per hero also 'how many you can have in your army?'

I hope not, cause that sounds fancy, but wouldn't you get some kickback from this?

19 minutes ago, Goodwin said:

So, are you allowed to take a Gift and a Artefact because the little blurb on the Gift section says to 'treat gifts like artefacts for the purpose of how many you can have in your army" but not specifically saying for how many you can have on a Hero?

To me, it seems like you can only have one artefact on a Hero, and if we are supposed to treat Gifts like Artefacts, shouldn't you not be able to run both?  It does say 'for the purpose of how many you can have in your army,' but isn't 1 per hero also 'how many you can have in your army?'

I hope not, cause that sounds fancy, but wouldn't you get some kickback from this?

Daemonspark is a command trait, which you get for being the general. It's not an artefact or a gift. 

You're right though that each character can only take one artefact or one daemonic power. 

1 hour ago, Goodwin said:

Ones a trait, ones a artifact/power/what ever 

57 minutes ago, Goodwin said:

Since it says "two additional spells" and not "two spells," I'd think/expect it to mean you get your normal spell for being DoT and then two additional spells for being an Arch-sorceror.

Hope I'm right. >.>

11 hours ago, hobgoblinclub said:

With the Arch-sorcerer command trait, is the intention that you take 2 additional spells from your spell lore as well as the one you usually take, or is it two instead of the one you'd normally get? It just says take 'generate two additional spells' so doesn't seem clear. 

I read it as.

Gaunt summoner has 3 spells, normal two and his own, granted another as tzeentch allegiance, granted 2 more as trait.

Total spells, 6. Total casts. 2

I feel it's best taken on the magister 

So I've played through both narrative scenarios in Disciples of Tzeentch now and I'll say this: aggressive deployment in both scenarios can make things VERY rough for Tzeentch and make a strong case for taking a big, tough-to-crack block of Tzaangor. The Tzeentch player doesn't really get the luxury of a 'free' hero and shooting phase while armies are moving into place: both encounters start with the armies pretty close together. They're really fun, but if your first round of shooting and spells doesn't go well then it's very hard to recover from against an army that can chew you up in the combat phase (which, if you're running Daemons, is most of them.) I've got two boxes of bird-dudes on my painting table and they'll be getting shunted to the top of the priority pile as a result.

I'm really enjoying the new rules, though. Destiny Dice are such a great, fluffy addition: in my last game my Chaos Sorcerer Lord, with one wound remaining, killed a full-health Lord Celestant on Dracoth. I had to spend 7 (!) Destiny Dice to do it, but the game was lost by then and it was totally worth it. That's getting written into his backstory.

I'm thinking the frontline is... acolytes now.  A line of ten of them to protect their beloved Tzaangor.  Then pile in the Tzaangor after the acolytes are REKT.  My thinking is that if you allow them to charge you, wipe that unit (or probably a better idea to use brimestone), then pile in, then hopefully/or definitly you have the next turn.  Recover a few bodies from the Shaman spell, then Pile In during Hero phase, then Pile In again in the combat phase.  Definitly though you're going to want to try avoiding getting hit by two heavy hitting units.

I'm hoping to get my first game in tomorrow but I've been lagging in assembly.  If I do it'll be red-eyed at the local store since I still have to spray all these birds down!

Archived