[Fluff question] Would Bonesplitters ever ride big creatures or only kill them?

Spiky Norman

For those experts on Bonesplitter lore amonst us - Would the Orruks of the Bonesplitters ever ride a big animal or do they only hunt and kill them?

I am imagining an army* of Orruks, that includes an Arachnarok, but instead of grots and their howda, a crazy Bonesplitter shaman have harpooned a giant spider and are now standing on top of it, holding on to the leather straps of the harpoon. Is that fluff-wise viable or does that go against the Bonesplitters lore?

Spoiler

*Greenskinz 140
Orruk Warboss (Leader)

*Spiderling Grots
Arachnarok Spider with Grot Shaman (Behemoth, Leader)
Arachnarok Spider with Grot Shaman (Behemoth, Leader)

*Bonesplitterz 460
Savage Big Boss (Leader)
Savage Orruks (Battleline)
Kunnin' Rukk Battallion

*Ironjawz 820
Orruk Megaboss (Leader)
Orruk Brutes
Orruk Brutes
Orruk Brutes
Orruk Warchanter
Ironfist Battallion
1980pts

Strictly speaking the Bonesplittaz think the spirit of GorkaMorka dwell within the spirit of all monsters and seek to free them so from a fluff perspective I doubt they would keep one as a pet.

That said it is your hobby, do what you want with it.  Perhaps he has established a direct link with GorkaMorka through the beasts  (still living) skull and he uses it to direct the will of his tribe, the possibilities are endless.

I am building similar Drakkfoot Warclan squig based, with Collosal Squig as the center piece. Boyz use it as mangler bomb to deliver asap to the enemy and take all the attention from Arrerboyz;) fluffwise makes sense as the Bonesplittrerz are trying to release the spirit of Gorkamorka by sacrificing da big squig in battle.
I also put some of da boarboyz on gigantic squigs (gnaws from Kromlech) instead of boars to have the same theme for whole army- the shamans from da Warclan while trying to cast some powerfull waaagh spells changed them to even more savage beasts.
First pics coming soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While it does seem to conflict with the general fluff of Bonesplitters, that's what's super great about AoS - somewhere, in some realm, there is a tribe of Bonesplitters that uses monsters, for whatever reason. Your army, if you so want it to be.

14 hours ago, Furious said:

While it does seem to conflict with the general fluff of Bonesplitters, that's what's super great about AoS - somewhere, in some realm, there is a tribe of Bonesplitters that uses monsters, for whatever reason. Your army, if you so want it to be.

Pretty much this

Generally, not going to happen but due to a shift with the background anything can happen ;) 

Just because they are riding them today, doesn't mean that they always intend to ride them either! It might not be a tamed monster but rather one they captured on the eve of a brutal battle and rode it into a battle truly benefiting of Gork (or maybe mork).

Perhaps one leader has an affinity with a particular beast that wants to "fight kunningly in the shell of a monster', thus it might be an exception, at least until later.

Thanks for all the great replies and suggestions!

It seems that it might not be typical in-line with the Bonesplitters fluff to use a big creature as a riding animal, but as I alluded to in the initial post, I think the concept might still work if it is clear that the Bonesplitter shaman is not riding the beast as much as holding on the the harpoon he hit the beast with as it ran off.

I'll have to go back to the drawing board and see if its a conversion that I could realistically pull off :-)

8 hours ago, Spiky Norman said:

Thanks for all the great replies and suggestions!

It seems that it might not be typical in-line with the Bonesplitters fluff to use a big creature as a riding animal, but as I alluded to in the initial post, I think the concept might still work if it is clear that the Bonesplitter shaman is not riding the beast as much as holding on the the harpoon he hit the beast with as it ran off.

I'll have to go back to the drawing board and see if its a conversion that I could realistically pull off :-)

What would be really cool, if you wanted a Shaman riding a monster, is to make the monster ethereal. He's not so much riding a tamed beast, as he is harnessing the spirit of Gorkamorka that was trapped inside. Do some cool smokey bits, kinda like the Mortis Engine.

6 hours ago, thediceabide said:

What would be really cool, if you wanted a Shaman riding a monster, is to make the monster ethereal. He's not so much riding a tamed beast, as he is harnessing the spirit of Gorkamorka that was trapped inside. Do some cool smokey bits, kinda like the Mortis Engine.

Thanks - That's a really cool idea, that I hadn't considered! :-)

On 2016-11-08 at 6:34 PM, meet.the.doctor said:

I am building similar Drakkfoot Warclan squig based, with Collosal Squig as the center piece. Boyz use it as mangler bomb to deliver asap to the enemy and take all the attention from Arrerboyz;) fluffwise makes sense as the Bonesplittrerz are trying to release the spirit of Gorkamorka by sacrificing da big squig in battle.
I also put some of da boarboyz on gigantic squigs (gnaws from Kromlech) instead of boars to have the same theme for whole army- the shamans from da Warclan while trying to cast some powerfull waaagh spells changed them to even more savage beasts.
First pics coming soon!

I'm going to need some pictures of this. It sounds so awesome.

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:34 PM, meet.the.doctor said:

First pics coming soon!

This sounds amazing! Have you got a thread for it?

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:02 PM, Furious said:

Yeh I agree with this completely. I'm not invested in the actual canon/fluff whatsoever and just have my own thoughts around the background and theme of my armies. As long as it looks cool on the table, who cares. I tend to find that if it's something you are passionate about and pour effort into it'll be well received.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

@Chris Tomlin@LortOlle - this is a WIP pic and more to come soon - first Maniak Weirdnob that accidentally changed his warboar to ..a squigly BEAST! GW shaman from the 90's + Kromlech Gnaw:
2d8676fc5d81ff65f2fe198226a8e73c.jpg
I will start a thread for sure, maybe by the end of the week as I am closer to finish my first 16 (of around 90) bonesplitterz.

@Spiky Norman - arn't you the one that ran the Tale of Painters for AoS last year?

On 2016-11-12 at 2:48 PM, meet.the.doctor said:

@Chris Tomlin@LortOlle - this is a WIP pic and more to come soon - first Maniak Weirdnob that accidentally changed his warboar to ..a squigly BEAST! GW shaman from the 90's + Kromlech Gnaw:

-pic-

I will start a thread for sure, maybe by the end of the week as I am closer to finish my first 16 (of around 90) bonesplitterz.

@Spiky Norman - arn't you the one that ran the Tale of Painters for AoS last year?

Great, you just need some good basing on that but maybe you're swaping to ovals and will base later?

8 minutes ago, SeanMaguire1991 said:

There is a piece of art in the Fyreslayers Battletome depicting some Bonesplitterz riding Wyverns. So perhaps in Future we might see something like that.

Cool! I'll have to try and find that picture online.

At least that means there is a little bit of precedent for crazy Bonesplitters riding giant creatures, at least riding on them while trying to kill them with a spear to the brain or something :-)

On 11/14/2016 at 4:30 AM, meet.the.doctor said:

@LortOlle - this is just temporary base just during painting and playtesting. The oval coming soon ;)

@Spiky Norman - here is the artwork:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's an awesome piece, but yeah, definitely done before they had a clear direction for Bonesplitterz.

Archived