Sisters of Sigmar - REBORN!

Payce

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few days of some serious overtime at work has sadly hampered my progress more than I would have liked. Tonight, however, I got a couple of painting hours in. Here's were we currently stand:

oEI1s5I.jpg

qcUkEHA.jpg

The white looks smoother on the actual models, promise. The gold is only the first layer, doing a second one tomorrow before wash and highlights. I'm pretty pleased with the overall look, with the blonde hair and pale skin I should have sufficient bright spots on them to make the black armour not look too bland and unfinished. Hopefully, they'll be done over the weekend.

Oh, and if you wonder about the messy paint jobs, I kind of do that. Once all the detail work is done, black will neaten up and cover it nicely.

OK, that took a while. Kid fell ill, overtime at work, you know the drill.

Here, have some vengeful virgins!

gmu1w9L.jpg

YhX6x6v.jpg

AO7Lp2v.jpg

They took literally (not literally) forever to finish, since I was usually limited to 1-2 hours painting per night, usually broken up every 20 or so minutes by just... life things. But I got them done, and even mostly on schedule (if I finish a Dracoth and five Judicators by next Sunday, I'll be ahead of schedule).

Speaking of Dracoths, have a WIP shot of that one as well. It should come as a surprise to no one that the'll be riding Diablo (insert crude jokes).

5Rx60P7.jpg

And now, back to the painting board!

1 hour ago, Soulsmith said:

Looking awesome dude! Totally makes me rethink stormcast, I'm tempted to try and make an angel force, all no-faced hoods, and sculpted wings for the flyers. 

I'll be doing something similar on my Celestant-Prime eventually, base it off of Auriel from the same franchise (I might even actually give that particular models "boob plate" and heels):

ZsmzfwA.jpg

41 minutes ago, Grimnaud said:

I had my doubts about the bases, but the end result looks AWESOME, ya hear me meow! ;):D

Valhallan Blizzard is a Godsend. Absolutely amaing to work with. The days of carefully measuring sodium, glue, water and white pigment are GONE.

Just now, Soulsmith said:

Well hopefully you have a spare emoji6.png also, the black eyes are awesome.

I suck at painting eyes (faces in general, truth be told), so I cheated a little; I simply painted the entire eye slit with Stegadon Scale Green, then gave the entire area a thin wash of Nuln Oil. I mean, girls were makeup, right? Right?

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I suck at painting eyes (faces in general, truth be told), so I cheated a little; I simply painted the entire eye slit with Stegadon Scale Green, then gave the entire area a thin wash of Nuln Oil. I mean, girls were makeup, right? Right?
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

That's fair enough. I have an old fine brush with most the bristles gone, and I go in at the eye at the angle I want it to be looking. Also makes for a good armour scratch brush.

Well, maybe I am too picky but the final picture really looks concerning...

Main problem is not the tit which I totally agree not necessary, but the width of shoulder and waist. Female have different skeleton compare with man and their shoulder shoulders have same width as their hips. However man is totally different.

Just by looking at the picture from Blizzard female crusader you can easily find this point.

2 hours ago, Aeonotakist said:

Well, maybe I am too picky but the final picture really looks concerning...

Main problem is not the tit which I totally agree not necessary, but the width of shoulder and waist. Female have different skeleton compare with man and their shoulder shoulders have same width as their hips. However man is totally different.

Just by looking at the picture from Blizzard female crusader you can easily find this point.

So I thought about this while undergoing a remarkably similar process to the OP for my Silver Tower Knight-Questor - here's a pic. As far as I can tell the conversion process we used was exactly the same, even down to buying heroic-scale heads from the same place!

The thing is: Stormcast heads are absolutely tiny relative to their bodies, absurdly so. But you don't really notice because they don't look fully human until you remove the helmet. Their bodies (whether male or female) would have to be pin-headed lumps of meat to fill out that armour in a normal fashion. I suppose you could say that Sigmar altered and mutated them like space marines, but that doesn't really fit the descriptions in the books. Stormcast that remove their helmets look surprisingly normal, even sometimes youthful.

It makes much more sense to imagine that Sigmarite armour is a lot bigger than the wearer, and works because, well, it's magic armour. That way the head provides a sense of scale for the body inside, at which point it's obvious that you'd never be able to tell male/female characteristics from the outside - particularly shoulders, hips and hands, which is what we're talking about here.

This also means that when a Stormcast Eternal is fully-armoured, you can't tell whether they're male or female. This is, I think, thematically vital - they're supposed to be imposing, inhuman and (I'd argue) androgynous until the helmet comes off. The cool thing about seeing it this way is it allows you to include female characters in your Stormcast army without needing to do a conversion on every single one.

Just my 2c.

3 hours ago, CJPT said:

So I thought about this while undergoing a remarkably similar process to the OP for my Silver Tower Knight-Questor - here's a pic. As far as I can tell the conversion process we used was exactly the same, even down to buying heroic-scale heads from the same place!

The thing is: Stormcast heads are absolutely tiny relative to their bodies, absurdly so. But you don't really notice because they don't look fully human until you remove the helmet. Their bodies (whether male or female) would have to be pin-headed lumps of meat to fill out that armour in a normal fashion. I suppose you could say that Sigmar altered and mutated them like space marines, but that doesn't really fit the descriptions in the books. Stormcast that remove their helmets look surprisingly normal, even sometimes youthful.

It makes much more sense to imagine that Sigmarite armour is a lot bigger than the wearer, and works because, well, it's magic armour. That way the head provides a sense of scale for the body inside, at which point it's obvious that you'd never be able to tell male/female characteristics from the outside - particularly shoulders, hips and hands, which is what we're talking about here.

This also means that when a Stormcast Eternal is fully-armoured, you can't tell whether they're male or female. This is, I think, thematically vital - they're supposed to be imposing, inhuman and (I'd argue) androgynous until the helmet comes off. The cool thing about seeing it this way is it allows you to include female characters in your Stormcast army without needing to do a conversion on every single one.

Just my 2c.

That's a good point, but actually I think the problem should be the helm is too small on normal stormcast, rather the armor too big.

Take a look at the only official head for SE that is Errant-Questor, his head is quite OK on the body but impossible to fit in a normal helmet. 

But I agree that in AOS the background is so flexibile that I can have a female SE with four arms and find a fluff foe that. 

And please don't misunderstand what I want to say. it's not I don't like female SE, but I am also a big fan of female D3 crusader. It just doesn't show the aesthetic of this character in normal SE bodies.

I think @CJPT and I are of fairly similar mindset regarding the relationship between armour and anatomy. Truth be told, if you're going to look that closely into physical dimensions in this game, your average Witch Aelf is six foot four and has Truckasaurus hands. Lithe and agile, indeed!

I wasn't planning to do anything tonight, but then I did after all, and this happened:

YbG5Afj.jpg

Lord-Celestant on foot, which will be my general. Her foot is raised like that because I cut off and filed away the rock, to make room for... most likely a ghoul or zombie. Something decapitated. She'll be painted sometime next week. For now, work continues on the Dracoth.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!

I think I'd skimmed this thread when you first started it and thought "oh god third party headswaps, nothing polite to say here", but am now massively embarrassed I'd written it off. The models come together incredibly when painted, the colour scheme is gorgeous and the flails work wonderfully. The dracoth rider is glorious and I can't wait to see the celestant on foot with paint on. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived