best chaos battlelines?

fued

looking into some battlelines for my army, really want something which can put bodies on the field and hopefully be a bit of an anvil.

top picks so far are either:

marauders - 60pts, 5+ save, 6 bravery, hits terribly

clanrats- 60pts, 5-6+ save, 4 bravery, hits pretty well

giant rats- 30pts, no save, lets me bring better units

what battleline units is everyone else using? dont want to invest too many points in it, as i want some hammer units which arent battleline

Running a Khorne list I've stuck with Blood Warriors and Bloodletters:

Blood Warriors - 100pts (x5), 4+ save, 6 Bravery, hits hard and then hits again

Bloodletters - 100pts (x10), 5+ save, 10 Bravery, hits average but chance to dish out mortal wounds

For me, the Blood Warriors are worth their weight in gold, tough to shift and can chuck out quite a bit of damage.  Only down point is the comparative lack of models in comparison to things like Marauders and Bloodreavers.

30x plaguebearers are incredible.

-2 to hit from shooting, -1 to hit in melee, 5+ save, 5+ ward save, if nurgle demon hero is nearby they reroll 1:s to save, 4+, 3+, no rend dmg 1.

They can hold just about anything in the game.

I use 30x in one unit then 2x10 marauders to snag objectives or act as shield

For me chaos battleline units depend on 2 main things, if your aligned to 1 God (as some comments above, buffs from other models/units and synergies make units better) and how your list is setup (If you have large points investment in characters then expensive troops are difficult to fit it and sometimes its just bodies you need if your speed/damage is from 1 other unit or some characters).

Bloodreavers seem to be only worth taking with  Bloodsecrator support, so only really an option if going heavy on Khorne.   Blood Warriors could make a decent unit for any list, but pricy.  

Plaguebearers look good on their own and good value, Bloodletters perhaps more reliant on synergy/buffs.  Other lesser daemons more expensive and unsure if the value is there.

Clanrats seem useful in many lists and cheap.  Whether more useful than Marauders (which I've never used), unsure.

i run 20 blood warriors & 30 blood letters in my khorne list. the blood warriors act as a good unit which does both damage and tank. due to them doing damage when they die. you can generally hold a unit up for a turn or two with them unless massively out matched. and the letters are the glass cannon. 

I usually get a good return in terms of points killed against points paid with Bloodreavers. They seem to do rather well against retributors. However this is units 20 or more in size in a Dark Feast with a Bloodsecrator. They're a bit of a bonus ball to be honest. 

Having played against Plaguebearers a few times they seem pretty great, having such a resilient (in numbers) battleline unit is very useful 

8 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Unfortunately Giant Rats are not generic battleline. How I wish they were...I could actually play my Chaos list then!!

I'm considering Ungor as a cheap option.

Pretty sure u can still use em so long as u only use giant rats as battleline. 

I tink the Glotkin spell(+1 wound)+Harbinger of decay+warshrine to unit of 30-40 marauders was pretty hardcore to defend objectives.

Bloodwarriors, like the others said, are prety good too. They atack twice, and if u give him some extra atack they can be really anyoning.

Chaos warriors with Shields vs mortal wound units are so tanky too, but with 2 handed weapons they have render 1, 20 wounds with 4+ save for 180 points. And you can mark it like you want for theme your army.

Plaguebearers are too tanky too, like others said, but I prefer warriors with shield for that.

And nobody say about daemonettes, but they have 2 atacks with rend -1, and they are prety fast. If u dont want a infantery block they can act like a supoort picking only a unit 10. Prety well for plenish your battleline spots wothouth waste that points.

I tink the Glotkin spell(+1 wound)+Harbinger of decay+warshrine to unit of 30-40 marauders was pretty hardcore to defend objectives.

And it's only what 480+160+240 = 880 points. For which you could get 2 blocks of 30 Vulkite Berserkers (yes 60 models) with 4+ ward saves which are solid in combat too. The Glottkin is overcosted and he has to be the general if you're taking him - otherwise you're chucking away about 150 points. The spell is good, but synergises really badly with his army of mostly 2 or 3 wound units. They will also fail to cast it a good chunk of the time.

47 minutes ago, Nico said:

And it's only what 480+160+240 = 880 points. For which you could get 2 blocks of 30 Vulkite Berserkers (yes 60 models) with 4+ ward saves which are solid in combat too. The Glottkin is overcosted and he has to be the general if you're taking him - otherwise you're chucking away about 150 points. The spell is good, but synergises really badly with his army of mostly 2 or 3 wound units. They will also fail to cast it a good chunk of the time.

This isnt really a great comparison though as Vulkite Beserkers are not an option for a chaos list. Dont like these type of comparisons when the discussion is comparing chaos units.

I dont think it is a bad option, but it is a lot of points to do. But, if the points used from Glottkin and Harbinger are good for accompanying the rest of the army (which they are if its nurgle), then the investment in points is potentially good. The rest of the lists needs to fit around them,  and my opinion would need to be faster, hard hitting units, then this could be a solid start.

Or just bring Orghotts instead with the Harbinger.... Reroll wounds and a 5+ save on marauders isn't great, but they will stay around for a little while.

Nurgle really is all about tanking, after all, imo.

And orghotts is more of a beast in combat.

And let's not forget that in order for any of these builds to work there needs to be a general by the name of Archaon lurking around somewhere....

Another approach- ditch them all except the Harbinger and just bring Bloab to the mix. A nice ability that is not a command ability as well as a real nice signature spell. Plus he would benefit from the Harbingers ability....

1 hour ago, ChippyRick said:

This isnt really a great comparison though as Vulkite Beserkers are not an option for a chaos list. Dont like these type of comparisons when the discussion is comparing chaos units.

I dont think it is a bad option, but it is a lot of points to do. But, if the points used from Glottkin and Harbinger are good for accompanying the rest of the army (which they are if its nurgle), then the investment in points is potentially good. The rest of the lists needs to fit around them,  and my opinion would need to be faster, hard hitting units, then this could be a solid start.

Yes yes I think the same, but thoose points was to secure points in competitive games. In a 1500 points army is viable, but in 1000 I think isnt possible cause u sayd it, is too slow.

In the fact of points cost u dont count with glootkin and the harbirnger of decay, u pay it too, no? :)

I could have just said it's a ridiculous number of points for a 4+ save monster. You can get a StoneLord with Battlebrew for 460, who can do an easy 21 wounds to a 4+ save in melee in one turn and is way tougher than the Glottkin.

My first AoS army was mortal Nurgle and they sucked hard at London's Calling. The Glottkin was a large contributor to that sub-performance. I've since converted it so that I could use it as Orghotts if necessary, but neither has found its way onto a table, let alone a tournament. For a long time it was more expensive than Kroak, which was staggering. Very few of the 300 point plus unique characters can really carry their weight in the new world of artefacts and command traits and The Glottkin would be top of my avoid list after only Tamurkhan.  

Harbinger, large unit of Blightkings, Sayl, Sorceror Lord, Bile Trolls (amazing with Lord of War or Dark Avenger vs Order). 30 Plaguebearers as one Battleline Unit and two units of Warriors as the others. If there's any space, then a Plagueclaw Catapult.

Gors have been doing fairly well for me. When buffed with Gorthor, a banner bearer, and inspiring presence they do pretty well.

Normally I use bullgors though since I like the warherds army better. You don't get as many bodies but man do they hit hard. With great weapons, a doombull, and the bullgor stampede you hit on 4s and wound on 2s with every 5-6+ giving you 2 more attacks. Each attack is -2 rend and 3 damage. These guys do some work that's for sure. You don't get many but they hit hard.

Gors and ungors are prety well, they can't have mark, but they can run and charge, thats prety well for a battleline unit, you can put 10 of them and play it like support or flank enemys. But you cant combo it as marked marauters or marked Chaos warriors. Anyway one unit of 10 are good supp, I give him a try.

But I dont like the doombull, they are so glasscanon. Yes they hit extremly hard and more hard if you givve him extra atacks!, but they have 12 wounds with 5+ save for 180 points. Maybye with Shields under cover was better, bcause they can stay in cover more easy, but in that case they lose -1 rend and -1 dmg.

I dont like doombull, they are bad tot ake objectives, so glasscannon and you need give him the buffs to improve hissurvability.

They cant run and chargue like the gors and ungors... I prefer troops options, for 180 points I have more tanky options with good attack too :). Or maybye 6 doombulls, but... Thath was 360 points for 24 5+ save wounds, with that I put 20 warriors oF Chaos with 2 handed weapons,  40 4+ save wounds and marked to combos :S

I've run Bulls with a doom bull several times and they totally wrecked S--t! For the points you spend they usually get back at least double. Add in the factor of threat zone control on tabletop and the amount of attention they will get from your opponent, they are awesome.

Archived