Why are high elves spearmen discontinued?

Kosmion

Yo!

as the title says, does anyone know? It seems like a wierd move, remove one unit from an army because...it sold bad? Its kinda frustrating cus i wanna start an HE army, but i dont wanna go spend money on ebay on old minis if theyre gonna get updated or something?

It seems like a "weird move" for a business to stop selling a product they don't make money off of? Does someone need to explain to you how commerce works? Then again, do you know they discontinued it because they didn't sell well? Perhaps Games Workshop is planning a rerelease of replacement model?

They're really generic Tolkensian elves-with-tall-helms-and-bright-spears BS. GW finally figured out that they need to have a brand if they want to stay competitive - there are too many generic fantasy games on the market for them to remain Business-As-Usual-Fantasy - and apparently they decided to reimagine their Aelfs.

GW needed to cut some of the range (as we saw, AoS bought in so so many new kits), and when push came to shove it made the most sense to drop the boring infantry kit and keep the Phoenix Guard, the White Lions etc etc.

They'll never get a direct replacement to. The whole point of AoS was to move away from the codex cycle and having nothing to add but updating old plastic kits. 

I think you would be better suited collecting one of the surviving factions like the Phoenix Temple and then adding whatever new cool stuff the Aelfs get down the line (which is no doubt going to be AoS' biggest release so far, there's already so much hype about it.) :)

An alternative possibility is that they sold out.  Being a part of the older line, it's probably not set for another production run.  If they do another run, they'd update the box art, the AoS logo, and include round bases.  Considering all that, it's not worth it on a unit that they're intending to replace.  

I wouldn't be surprised if this problem gets worse.  The game itself appears to be growing, and it's possible that the growth might happen faster than they can update the armies.  I know I chose to get into Dark Elves knowing that it might be difficult to expand the army the long ne'er imtake to collect it.

It's a tricky thing. I would love to start man collection of the new sylvaneth or the reimagined seraphon. But to me it seems more  viable to expand my existing armies with the units I would miss if they were discontinued. Mainly dark elves because my gut feeling tells me all the elves will be lumped together in a new bigger faction. Maybe the daughters of kaine will end up in the chaos section but who knows. 

I've collectief high elves since 5th ed. but never bought the spearelves kit. Mainly because I allready own a lot of older single-pose spearmen, and because the elves in the kit looked ugly... I won't miss them.

This is my unit of spearmen: http://www.coolminiornot.com/384142?browseid=17071555

if you really want spear elves you could use the dark elves dreadspears, wood elf eternal guard or Phoenix guard with the halberd piece clipped off. Or go with the gorgeous sea guard from island of blood.

I've been thinking about using the eternal guard, when I eventually get back to elves. I used to have ~30 of the multipart high elf spearmen, but I sold them as a part of the force, and they are the part that I don't miss. The metal infantry in that sold lot though...

I think it's just bbecause they don't want to have two different types of elves with spears and bows and repeater bolt throwers etc. so they have discontinued the less interesting units.

1 hour ago, elfhead said:

Or go with the gorgeous sea guard from island of blood.

They're getting rarer to find on e-bay.

28 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

I think it's just bbecause they don't want to have two different types of elves with spears and bows and repeater bolt throwers etc.

It's rather bizarre. Skycutter model for instance has scaled down HE bolt thrower, however both DE and HE bolt throwers were discounted. White Lions can't be fielded on their own, although the same argument could be said for the rest of the aelf forces. There's something we're missing.

Archived