The Chaos Duardin Unbased Speculation Discussion

image.png.b631bc24bba273d19270ba275003e7f4.pngLegions of Hashut? (Most likely name maybe)

Since the unthinkable army release seems to maybe actually be happening, I thought a thread collecting all our current info on Chorfs would be a good point to begin the long hype-daemon train to, 2025? 2026? Somewhere there.

I'd like to clarify that the only books I have mentioning them are the 3.0 Corebook and the little booklet that came with Dominion, so I will mainly be relying on Lexicanum for this one.

image.png.b631bc24bba273d19270ba275003e7f4.pngHobgrots

Let's start with Hobgrots.

• A race between orruks and grots, but still kinda outsiders to them, trading with Chorfs
  • Their equipment is made by Chorfs, although it's the "lowest of the low" in terms of quality
  • More independent mercenaries than slaves

image.png.b631bc24bba273d19270ba275003e7f4.pngHorns of Hashut

Next up, Horns of Hashut, who give us some of the more "concrete" info on AoS Chorfs

• Peoples who "willingly" joined the Chorf empire (when given the choice of that or brutal subjugation into slavery)
  • Live at the heartlands/together with Chorfs, sharing their mentality and worship of Hashut
  • Rising in the ranks earns them better equipment
  • Hashutaar helmets signify rank (bigger hat = higher rank)
  • "Cleanse" areas before Chorfs arrive (destroy forests/rivers, clear ground, set up basic infrastructure)
  • Chorfs described as "producing daemon-engines and weapons of mass destruction" and using "foundries and smoke-belching forges" and "infernal industries"

image.png.b631bc24bba273d19270ba275003e7f4.pngMisc.

And finally, the rest!

• Forge Anathema: Chorf stronghold in the Salamander's Spine in Aqshy (homeland of the Fyreslayers, now seemingly mostly Chorf holds) (Soulbound)
  • Zharr Vyxa: soul-oil rig in Shyish (NOT Ulgu) protected by black armoured gargants and hundreds of duardian artillerymen (2.0, 3.0 Core Book, BT: SoB)

Based on these I feel like at least some things from Fantasy Chorfs will stay largely similar (Mesopotamian-ish aesthetics, big industry, daemon-machines), while some have some clues (Hashut is never 100% confirmed to be a god (some in-universe "theories" include being an actual Chaos god, a great "almost Chaos god" daemonic deity (maybe like 40k Vashtorr?), and a Daemon Prince)), while we still have quite a lot up in the air.

Fair to say, I think this release should hopefully prove really interesting!

Edited by Asbestress
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 6

Aside: while I've generally seen a fair amount of speculation about Hashut being an aspect of Khorne, in the World of Warhammer lore book (1998) it speculates that Hashut is Tzeentch.

(This was back in 5th, when Khaine was nod-nod-wink-wink the Elven name for Khorne. Edit: maybe not so nod-nod-wink-wink; in the 5th edition rulebook it says "...Witch Elves - a warrior sisterhood devoted to the Chaos God Khorne who they call Khaine Lord of Murder.")

Edited by LordSolarMach
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, LordSolarMach said:

Aside: while I've generally seen a fair amount of speculation about Hashut being an aspect of Khorne, in the World of Warhammer lore book (1998) it speculates that Hashut is Tzeentch.

(This was back in 5th, when Khaine was nod-nod-wink-wink the Elven name for Khorne. Edit: maybe not so nod-nod-wink-wink; in the 5th edition rulebook it says "...Witch Elves - a warrior sisterhood devoted to the Chaos God Khorne who they call Khaine Lord of Murder.")

Hashut is the god of tyranny, sunjugation of others for your benefit, enslavement, if anything hes closer to GHR in how selfish and self indulgent it is

Also

I was thinking that maybe Snarlfangs could also go either to Chorfs or Kruleboyz, they seriously dont have any bussiness being in Gloomspite if you ask me

Edited by Gutsu17
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gutsu17 said:

I was thinking that maybe Snarlfangs could also go either to Chorfs or Kruleboyz, they seriously dont have any bussiness being in Gloomspite if you ask me

Interesting. I'd be down with Kruleboyz and gitmob fusing to become a sussesor to orcs & goblins of old. 

Hobz is one thing I hope gets expanded upon in one way or another for both forces. Its like their whole identity. And that each force is allowed to take them. 

And still hoping their history with Kruleboyz is opened up to us more.

Edited by Vasshpit

I love the narrative beats like "Chaos Duardin suck up rivers of souls as fuel" so much. AoS is a fantasy world with limitless potential, and the Chaos Duardin are out there ready to consume those crazy magic natural resources. 

I'm hoping Horns of Hashut stay in S2D, or become a cross-listed unit. Same with Hobgrots, actually. Both of them have been written out of the "Legions of Hashut" in small ways; with Hobgrots acting as brokers and Horns as "a horde of barbarians who show up prior to the 'real' legions." I think maybe allowing an allies amount for each could be cool, but I'd rather see a "evil duardin" faction be focused on "evil duardin!" Both of those units fill a "chaff" type role, and unless we get "exhalted Horns" or like chaos beast-mounted hobgrots I would rather see something new!

Fighty lord (mounted and unmounted), Magic lord (mounted and unmounted), Bull Centaur Lord would cover their "necessary" leaders
Duardin (with and without guns) and better duardin (with and without guns) cover their "necessary" duardin stuff

Bull centaurs or some sort are needed, imo, for the faction's identity

and Chaos Dwarfs traditionally have a mortar, cannon, and missile launcher of some sort. 

The only traditional archetypes they'd be "missing" are "fast chaff" (chaos hounds or mounted hobgrots), "chaff" (hobgrots or slaves) and "something weird" like the whirlwind or train. They've also had K'daii and the Destroyer, so "flying glass cannons" and "gargantuan monster" have been things they have had before. 

I hope they get weird with it. Hoping for extremely unique warmachines and unexpected twists/wrinkles!

• Like 2

As I said, I feel like a reboot of chorfs would include more races than dwarfs and greenskins, to get renamed to something like "Followers of Hashut"

Nothing too radical, just a human hero or two, perhaps hashut gors, something of the likes. Seems like an obvious marketing move to still attract TWW fans  and whitout overlapping with too much things from Fantasy.

Btw, chorfs on TWW are like my 2nd fav faction, theyre just so much fan to micromanage

Personal speculation about how I'd imagine a Chaos Dwarf release going, assuming about 9 kits (akin to the Lumineth release).

*Monster Kit that can be built as a Great Taurus or a Lamassu, with options for Sorcerer Prophet mount. 

*Daemonsmith hero.

*Chaos Dwarf melee hero.

*Generic Chaos Dwarf infantry.

*Chaos Dwarf gunners.

*Bull Centaurs.

*Hellcannon.

*K'daai Fireborn.

*Elite Chaos Dwarf infantry (Immortals, Infernal Guard, whatever).

So about 13 warscrolls, assuming that Horns of Hashut and Hobgrot Slittas will be able to be taken in this army. 

• Like 2

Hey everyone! Figured I'd add my own two bits to the thread.

If we are truly on the verge of a Legion of Azgorh/Followers of Hashut/Chaos Dwarf faction this coming edition, I suspect it'll be a 9-10 kit release, with the two kits that have already been released being included (Horns of Hashut and Hobgrotz) to bring the faction up to 11 kits before their second wave.

Now then, here's what I think is a possible release format:

• Named Character/Showpiece kit, perhaps a sorcerer on Bale-Taurus or a unique "Daemon" of Hashut. Though this role could also be filled by the old Shartor kit being released once more. 
  • Sorcerer-Prophet/Daemonsmith hero
  • Castellan Melee Hero
  • Chorf Melee Infantry (shield and Dual wielding options)
  • Gunners
  • Bull Centaurs
  • Iron Daemon with multi-build options
  • Infernal Guard multi-build elite (guns + melee options).
  • K'daai Fireborn
  • K'daai Destroyer centerpiece

If  we're talking about their aesthetic, I think a mixture of the old-school Middle-Eastern+Indian feel mixed with their more "modern" industrial armor seems like a good starting point, but as always, this is just speculation.

• Like 1

Yesterday, I posted and said that it would be a challenge to make the Chaos Dwarves different from the Fyreslayers, do to the latter having taken the fire theme that the former originally had. But now I think I take it back. They can easily differentiate the rebooted Chaos Dwarves from the Fyreslayers by having them represent the "artificial" fire, as in the one that you make and control for your own benefits, while the Fyreslayers represent the natural, "unconquered" fire that doesn't belong to anyone.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

I just want to ask the one important question. 

How big are the hats going to be?

For sure they need to be bigger than the Lumineth hats.

Personally, I think the old "lord on foot" is the perfect dwarf-hat ratio

almost a 1:1 scale in height, and looking at Lumineth stuff again, they wouldn't even be the most ridiculous hats in the range 

626px-Chaos_Dwarf_Hero_M1.jpg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic but other Chaos Dwarf aficionados may also get a kick out of this brilliant interview with Rick Priestly and Alan Perry where they talk about the origin of the dawi-zharr.

Of particular interest is the hilarious anecdote about the design process and why they have such big hats. You get to have both Priestly and Perry's perspective on their boss, the recently deceases Bryan Ansell, pushing and pushing for the hats to be bigger, and how Perry took a certain approach to dealing with it.😀

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Slightly off topic but other Chaos Dwarf aficionados may also get a kick out of this brilliant interview with Rick Priestly and Alan Perry where they talk about the origin of the dawi-zharr.

Of particular interest is the hilarious anecdote about the design process and why they have such big hats. You get to have both Priestly and Perry's perspective on their boss, the recently deceases Bryan Ansell, pushing and pushing for the hats to be bigger, and how Perry took a certain approach to dealing with it.😀

Loved seeing them both interviewed, and it's really fun to hear how those hats got quite so big. It's also cool hearing Priestly's take on writing the narrative both before and during Tamurkhan: Hashut being a sneeze is extremely silly and I love it. Hearing that, even behind the scenes, Chaos Dwarfs have always had one foot planted in "grimdark slave-fueled industry" and "these dudes are inherently pretty silly looking" since their inception. Honestly, Perry's sketches of the CD infantry is pretty much exactly what I'd hope to see in a remake for them! 

Real fascinating stuff, and I'm thankful this video exists! It is not often at all that you see devs sit down and say "alright let's unpack the Chaos Dwarfs." I'm hoping Assyria + WH Dwarf + nightmare Hellcannon looking stuff stay as staples for them!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fellman said:

wath if thay are based on the oathbreak fyrslayer loges of old the los sons of grimnir, trading divien urgold power for mecanical and industruel one then thay cood look more like
image.png.c2056cf633d2da0c2458b5b922b84750.pngimage.png.2181c3fade7a0abc6309573632ba1bdf.png

I don't think I had ever made the connection between Fyerslayers and these chaos Duardin! It would be really cool to see the Iron Golem aesthetic across a whole army: I really like their vibe

It would also be interesting if they went the Oathbreaker route: it'd ground the new Hashut Chaos Duardin faction firmly in the AoS narrative! I hadn't even really considered that!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fellman said:

wath if thay are based on the oathbreak fyrslayer loges of old the los sons of grimnir, trading divien urgold power for mecanical and industruel one then thay cood look more like
image.png.c2056cf633d2da0c2458b5b922b84750.png

Interesting connection between this model and Hobgrots/Horns of Hashut is the metal discs. It's an element that I feel will be part of the new Chorf aesthetic.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fellman said:

wath if thay are based on the oathbreak fyrslayer loges of old the los sons of grimnir, trading divien urgold power for mecanical and industruel one then thay cood look more like...

If we get Dwarfs-who-worship-Chaos, with none of the stylings of the old Dawi Zharr, I'd be disappointed (as someone who really likes the stylings of the old Chaos Dwarfs).

And I don't mean I want them to pull an Old World, and release thirty-year-old miniatures. But I'd want:

• Babylonian-ish stylings (ringlet beards, tall hats)
  • Bull Monsters (Bull Centaurs, Bale Taurus, Lamassu)
  • Daemonic industry
  • Comical cruelty

The Horns of Hashut have a good bit of the latter three, so I'm hopeful.

The Iron Golems' Dwarf has the industrial cruelty going for him, but lacks any of that Hashut flavour (pseudo-Babylonian, bull, fire). I'd... make due, if that was the main look, but be a little disappointed.

The Spire Tyrants' Dwarf looks like a Chaos-Marauder-who-happens-to-be-a-Dwarf. If that was the main look, I'd be incredibly disappointed. 

• Like 2

From the new Old World Chaos Dwarf PDF, we might have just got a couple hints of things to come! (emphasis mine)

The new infernal guard description does not match the old Forgeworld models and also don't directly describe any unit the Chaos Dwarfs have ever recieved:
"Chaos Dwarfs are an unnerving sight in battle. They are brutish, grotesque figures plated in black or burnished armour of heavy plate and jagged scales, crowned with tall helms mounted with flame-tongue spiked coronas or sharpened horns. Their livery is bright and bloody, and their distorted faces, if they are seen at all, are bestial and filled with malice. Their presence is intended to inspire fear in their foes, and they have lost none of the toughness or skill-at-arms of their western Dwarf kin"

For a minute, i thought the Bull Centaur Renders were on a previously-unseen base size but when I did some light research 50x75 looks to be the size of the Tamurkhan BC's

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

From the new Old World Chaos Dwarf PDF, we might have just got a couple hints of things to come! (emphasis mine)

The new infernal guard description does not match the old Forgeworld models and also don't directly describe any unit the Chaos Dwarfs have ever recieved:
"Chaos Dwarfs are an unnerving sight in battle. They are brutish, grotesque figures plated in black or burnished armour of heavy plate and jagged scales, crowned with tall helms mounted with flame-tongue spiked coronas or sharpened horns. Their livery is bright and bloody, and their distorted faces, if they are seen at all, are bestial and filled with malice. Their presence is intended to inspire fear in their foes, and they have lost none of the toughness or skill-at-arms of their western Dwarf kin"

For a minute, i thought the Bull Centaur Renders were on a previously-unseen base size but when I did some light research 50x75 looks to be the size of the Tamurkhan BC's

That is literally a direct quote from the Tamurkhan book. It was from the section on generic Chaos Dwarf crewmen as opposed to the Infernal Guard (who infamously have faceless masks instead of ludicrously tall helmets), though.

Edited by BarakUrbaz
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2