Abyssal Terror models - what should I use?

Soup Dragon

I'm starting a Death army for a local Path to Glory Campaign. I like the idea of Vampire Lord on Abyssal Terror, but of course there is no currently available model for it. So 2 questions:

1. What cool conversions have people seen/done using currently available models?

2. What base size should it go on?

Many thanks
Paul

5 minutes ago, deynon said:

a Mortarch, the abyssal dread I think it's perfect about the size

No that's waaay too big. The mortarch's are riding a dread Abyssal not a Abyssal terror. Honestly what I did I got my black knight horse stuck some varghiests wings on it along with the vampire lord from the zombie dragon box. Remember fluff wise vampire lords design them to suit their own needs. 

They can come in almost any form but they are normally smaller than a dread abyssal. I honestly don't know of a cheaper way to do it or perhaps you can kit base the zombie dragon kit to make something you like. 

an abyssal terror is big to begin woth, it should be the size of a manticora to start with considering it's bg. Moreover even if you take the old model and compare to the new ones in scale the dread abyssal is the scale reoresentation.

He asked what you can use as substitute, beh, that it is. Black knight horse with wings? tzk, that it is another mount completely, the flying nightmare, it's way too snall , it's like a pegasus, and even that try to compare the Morathy pegasus with the bretonnia's onesand you see the monstruous different size.

You say dread abyssal is too big and then you call the zombie dagon that is way bigger?

Anyway up to you, but if you want to create something easy to hide, not masl it as a modification or something like it

1 hour ago, deynon said:

an abyssal terror is big to begin woth, it should be the size of a manticora to start with considering it's bg. Moreover even if you take the old model and compare to the new ones in scale the dread abyssal is the scale reoresentation.

He asked what you can use as substitute, beh, that it is. Black knight horse with wings? tzk, that it is another mount completely, the flying nightmare, it's way too snall , it's like a pegasus, and even that try to compare the Morathy pegasus with the bretonnia's onesand you see the monstruous different size.

You say dread abyssal is too big and then you call the zombie dagon that is way bigger?

Anyway up to you, but if you want to create something easy to hide, not masl it as a modification or something like it

I am not saying to use the whole zombie dragon kit someone used bits from the kit and converted a cool looking flying bone monster. Still just do what you want OP asked several in my store how to go about doing one and they simply recommend doing the black knight as I said fluff wise they are fit for purpose and visually are designed by how the vampire wishes it to look. 

Still if there is any model that should get a new kit is that one because overall they are the best vampire lord IMO. 

3 hours ago, ElectricPaladin said:

It's important to note that this profile didn't make it out of the compendium. I wouldn't want to count on it sticking around in the long run.

Yeah.. still though I do feel overall it's one of the best generic general's for Death. 

In general in AoS Monsters seem to have 11+ wounds. Monstrous cavalry have 5-6 wounds. The Abyssal terror comes between them with 8 wounds. So should be about same size as Lord Celestant on Dracoth (7 wounds) or Bastiladon (8 wounds). But I just don't seem to be able to find a suitable model that size that's readily available. 

Anyone have any inspiration for me?

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine (who loves the filth) also wants to take an abyssal terror but can't find a model to convert for it. 

I've suggested the old Archaon on horseback model. It a lovely mini and, I think, quite a bit bigger than a regular horse. Stick some suitably leathery wings on it and you're halfway there. 

download.jpg

Imo a VLoAT should be the size of other 8 wound mounted heroes. Dread abyssal is way to big! It should be the size of a lord celestant on dracoth or Lord of khorne on Juggernaut. Or even mournfang cavalry. Im currently taking celestant on dracoth and kit bashing flayers wings on the dracoth and vampire head and arms on celestant. Saw it on Google images. 

22 hours ago, ElectricPaladin said:

I REALLY like this. I might have to try the conversion, usefulness of a vamp on abyssal horror be damned!

That command ability it so good! I was thinking it would be awesome to alpha strike with a u it of 6 vargheists. 24" flying move could be so useful!! Same with some archai but it would be only (lol) 18" flying

51 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

That command ability it so good! I was thinking it would be awesome to alpha strike with a u it of 6 vargheists. 24" flying move could be so useful!! Same with some archai but it would be only (lol) 18" flying

Combo with Screaming Skull Catapult to put the target unit at -2 Bravery. :P

1 hour ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

There's one of these for cheap down the local second-hand store. Thoughts on using it as an Abyssal? It's a Nazgul on Fellbeast.

It's really a wonderful model, it's ones of the few of the hobbit ones that I always liked (that and the Balrog one) and both are the ones that still I have to buy Q-Q

I think it's really an awesome model, maybe a little big, but truly awesome

As Abyssla terror models I'm not inclined to use other ones cause I have yet 2 "Melchior on Abyssal terror) and I love that model (as much as I can't see the one with the DS on it).

• 1 month later...

Archived