Cities of Sigmar Hobby & Lore 2: Dawnbringer Boogaloo

Neil Arthur Hotep

Thanks for the initiative ! 

As I said in the rumours thread, I'm hesitating between Lethis (I like the colours and their gothic/macabre feel) and Vindicarum (I'm usually a fan of turquoise and I like the classic religious aspect of Warhammer universes). I like Excelsis too, but it's a bit less catchy.
The problem is that I'd have a hard time converting the Lethis troops with lots of things like skulls, ravens' skulls, parchments, candles... As for Vindicarum, the old flagellants are a big negative for me.

There's still the option of a personal colour scheme : I was thinking a mix of beige/cream and deep red, almost burgundy.

It's a real curse to choose when you're indecisive and picky like me... 😅

I'm not going to convert Lethis minis anymore. I got a little bit carried, it's way too expensive for me.
Instead I'm going to use the right unnamed City decals because I like the little sea serpent on it. I will have to create a marine inspired colour scheme with some cream white and dark sea blue, I'll ask the GW store manager for help, he's a good painter and he has experience with painting Idoneths.

AoS CitiesRoundTable3 Aug23 Image3

• Like 1

As I mentioned in the rumour thread I'm torn between Living City, Lethis and Misthavn, leaning heavily towards Living City, but a spanner has been thrown into the indecisive works. Having just looked at the transfer sheets and seeing the miscellaneous heraldry, the trident one on the left has just given me an idea for some sort of sea/ocean-based city, perhaps a city situated on a chain of islands or even the city itself just floating on the surface of the ocean.

I really like this idea but the main conundrum I'm having right now is the colour scheme itself, something that feels suitably sea/ocean-based in style and colour but also not too similar to my Lumineth colour scheme which is white and blue. The more I think about it the more I really like the idea, just need to sort out this colour scheme issue. 

I am leaning towards the miscellaneous in the middle or my own, with the following approach:

image.png.f17d9bb5ac6bcb110edaec633089a467.png

Prolly would try removing as many ornamentation as possible, like the little roses like details, the masks on the cavaliers helmets or the diamonds on the shields. Trying to make them look a bit more lower medieval like.

• Like 2

I'm already full steam on doing a Greywater army, but I'm still not sure what to do for Cavaliers.
Initially I thought I'd do them as just regular slightly fancier cavalry with uniform Greywater colours and transfers (and maybe some pistols following the Cavalier-Marshal's one), but after reading some of the fluff for them I think I might paint/convert them to be former Canton leaders, (smaller settlements around Greywater in the swamp) whose villages and towns were destroyed by the various things that plague the realms.

In a miniature sense, this would mean them having both fancier and more worn equipment (maybe with some standard Greywater equipment to "replace" old, damaged gear?), and their own personal heraldry/the heraldry of their former settlements mainly using the non-nautical themed transfers. Might even make some matching Steelhelms (like 0-2 per squad) to represent other people who fled alongside their lords using the over-abundance of Cavalier transfers. This might even make the Arch-Knight's stag helmet more fitting for a Greywater theme (some Cantons worship a shard of Kurnoth that roams in the Ghoul-Mere).

Edited by Asbestress

I have personally been working on my dudes for a while now.

20230824_0824062.jpg.17fb0de2c6c8613830c734fa3c3a2d8c.jpg

The idea is that they are from a city that is de facto ruled by their local Collegiate Arcane university. They are from Chamon and strongly believe in using superior technology and magic to win their battles. In one of the recent designer interviews, they said that the new Cities lore is supposed to show that the faction is still kinda internally dysfunctional, and that is also something that I wanted to express with my guys: They have all this knowledge that allows them to produce amazing feats of magic and technology, but they barely understand how their own stuff works because all the different scholar are jealously guarding their research secrets and permanently trying to mislead their academic rivals. They also insist on using their machines, which were developed for a temperate region in Chamon, in order to found a new Dawnbringer settlement in a desert in Shyish (with predictable results). The city is supposed to be at once very progressive (with their pursuit of knowledge) but also very traditional (very invested in rituals and status, doing things one way because it was always done that way without questioning the reasons for this).

20230824_0827482.jpg.a342dabbad352b14ffaf62b71e67d8cc.jpg

For the colour scheme, I went with orange and off-white for cloth (with an occasional blue accent), and blue and brass for metallics. The blue metallics are supposed to illustrate the city's skill at alchemy: It's supposed to be a magically enhanced type of steel that is lighter and more durable. The brass was kinda supposed to be immitation gold before I learned that transmuting base metals into gold is actually barely an inconvenience in the Mortal Realms.

My Cities project has been on hold since the update was announced and I am pumped to finally get started on the infantry portion of the army now that the new Fusiliers are out. For heraldry, I am thinking of treating their whole shield as the excutcheon, kinda like this, with the blue being metallic:

polotno.png.e55529b62d37186195ea93d9b2379c81.png

Rules wise, I am currently thinking of going with Hallowheart, because I will definitely run the Hurricanum and an Alchemite (and getting the Alchemite spell off reliably seems pretty important to me). I think there could be worse ideas than slapping an Arcane Tome on the Tank Commander and adding another Battlemage for one of the lore spells (all of Pha's Protection, Pall of Doom, Mystifying Miasma and Wildform seem very good).

• Like 11

I had a few minutes and an old laptop at hand today. I threw together a quick'n'dirty pavese for everyone to use.

Feel free to print it and tell me if it came out well :) (Can't print for a while now to test it myself :/ )

Dimensions:
width x: 2.03 cm
depth y:  0.547 cm (this one can be adjusted by about 20% -> be careful the shield has a slight curve) the actual thickness of the shield is roughly 2mm (0,2 cm)
height z: 2.42 cm

image.png.099375033355d370b96eb68e04257249.png

Pavese.stl

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

14 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

I had a few minutes and an old laptop at hand today. I threw together a quick'n'dirty pavese for everyone to use.

Feel free to print it and tell me if it came out well :) (Can't print for a while now to test it myself :/ )

Dimensions:
width x: 2.03 cm
depth y:  0.547 cm (this one can be adjusted by about 20% -> be careful the shield has a slight curve)
height z: 2.42 cm

image.png.099375033355d370b96eb68e04257249.png

Pavese.stl 50.8 MB · 1 download

I won't be using it myself as I'll be getting the new minis, but what a phenomenal gesture. I appreciate you!

• Like 1

The article I was most looking forward to this week !

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/25/cities-of-sigmar-round-table-part-four-painting-the-miniatures/

I'd hope for units other than steelhelms painted with alternative schemes but unfortunately that's not the case.

As far as I'm concerned, Vindicarum has taken the lead, Lethis is losing a bit of ground and Excelsis is nibbling away more and more. In any case, I've reduced it to 3 out of 11 : that's not bad for an indecisive person like me. 😁

• Like 1

Seeing Misthavn in that article has me heavily leaning towards painting them, also partly because I couldn't order the kroak green needed for Living City alongside the army set. What paints does everyone reckon they used for the greenish blue? Annoyingly in the battletome they have that part of the colour scheme as dark grey so that doesn't really help.

Spoiler

369531764_2352823321572493_4707523645625333310_n.png?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=T8RH6I3SLYoAX8dP6mL&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd3-1.fna&oh=03_AdQLtEfJ_5k6hk3O_jA2nt2zpYMU_oEnuozLBqyV7f2KNw&oe=6510ACFE

Edited by SilentSentinel
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SilentSentinel said:

Seeing Misthavn in that article has me heavily leaning towards painting them, also partly because I couldn't order the kroak green needed for Living City alongside the army set. What paints does everyone reckon they used for the greenish blue? Annoyingly in the battletome they have that part of the colour scheme as dark grey so that doesn't really help.

369531764_2352823321572493_4707523645625333310_n.png?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=T8RH6I3SLYoAX8dP6mL&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd3-1.fna&oh=03_AdQLtEfJ_5k6hk3O_jA2nt2zpYMU_oEnuozLBqyV7f2KNw&oe=6510ACFE

It reminds me of Thunderhawk Blue/Fenrisian Grey with a bunch of weathering.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SilentSentinel said:

cold grey from vallejo, that might work.

GW color: The color they used for kroxigors in the Battletome: Nocturne Green maybe?

great Color scheme complimented by the dark skin tone! 👌🏻

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

cold grey from vallejo, that might work.

GW color: The color they used for kroxigors in the Battletome: Nocturne Green maybe?

great Color scheme complimented by the dark skin tone! 👌🏻

Yeah it's such a nice combination of colours! 

I wasn't expecting to be won over by it as much as I have been.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Spoiler
On 8/28/2023 at 12:32 PM, JackStreicher said:

My Drakespawn knights are converted Sisters of the Thorn, so I converted a Drakespawn Chariot accordingly 

06005505-457A-4BC0-B2F4-ABD0ECEE14F9.jpeg

C905C332-A0B9-498B-A620-1FD20615D6C6.jpeg

49CCB20A-2667-4D33-89D2-87CC831C0909.jpeg

303254AD-B75E-4F0C-918D-342DF03DFC74.jpeg

7C346C4C-FC5D-497E-B1C8-CA799ED19CC6.jpeg

C34A87F4-8356-447D-9529-B463623602FA.jpeg

912357F1-6B14-410B-B3AD-8AE9FCC3D62B.jpeg

Feels like we are halfway to someone making a full AoS Kislev City. The deer would go really well with an ice sled. And red and blue is a surprisingly nice colour combo.

• Like 1

My original plan was to paint different units from different cities, going for a united forces kinda thing, but I was kinda crapped on by folks at the local Warhammer store because 'you have to pick one' apparently to fit in. 😅

I still kind of want to go with that, because they're my little toy soldiers, but I may end up settling on Misthavn just to amp up the Mordheim gritty feels I want to mess with in regards to style. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JCBhatesblank said:

My original plan was to paint different units from different cities, going for a united forces kinda thing, but I was kinda crapped on by folks at the local Warhammer store because 'you have to pick one' apparently to fit in. 😅

I still kind of want to go with that, because they're my little toy soldiers, but I may end up settling on Misthavn just to amp up the Mordheim gritty feels I want to mess with in regards to style. 

This kind of thing always looks super cool and you should definitely do it.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JCBhatesblank said:

Go for it. It's your hobby ignore the haters 😋