WiP Wednesdays

Ben

3 hours ago, Dr_Keenbean said:

It's no longer Wednesday here on the US East coast, but I did work on these models on Wednesday!

IMG_20160518_220303.jpgIMG_20160518_220322.jpg

(Those aren't Orruk nipples, it's just poster tack to keep the contact points for his breastplate free from paint so I can use plastic cement.)

I like the colour scheme on your Orruk there, what were you using for the armour?

A lot of thought went into this color scheme. I wanted to do something that wasn't in any of the official pictures and had as much contrast as possible. Magenta, green, and orange are pretty much equidistant from each other on the color wheel. I'm so happy with it I'm not even sure I'm going to do any weathering.

Armor is:

1. Base Screamer Pink
  2. Shade with glaze of 1:1 Druchii Violet : Lahmian Medium (several layers depending on depth)
  3. Edge highlight Pink Horror
  4. Edge highlight with 1:1 Pink Horror : White

Then the markings are:

1. Vallejo Model Color Orange Brown
  2. Tau Light Ochre
  3. VMC Sunny Skintone

Here's the start of a champion for my mark of Nurgle chaos marauder unit (hand weapon and shield). Most of the bits are from the newer slaughter priest miniature.

The kit bashing is complete. I just need to add some more corrosion "pockmarks" to the armour and sculpt on some green stuff - I'm thinking a largish Nurgle symbol as a belt buckle.

c02b622f687ef305b1eeba13b505a423.jpg

MGP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 8

I'm working on re-basing my old Vampire Counts stuff on rounds so that I'm not tempted to buy new Flesh-Eaters models.  While I'm at it, I'm adding some new highlights since my painting skills have improved since painting my Grave Guard several years ago.  I've been bringing up the metal, and I'm going to highlight the shadow grey on the robes and shields next.

DSC03842.JPG

DSC03840.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shane said:

Basecoats down on Colin Dent (enough to put him on the table this Saturday):

CjFozh5WYAAjTCd.jpg

CjFozh2W0AEaKVZ.jpg

Shane that is looking very cool. Try some red glazes where the skin blends into the white belly to see if you can soften the transitions. 

I'm currently plodding away on the wood elf dragon. Started at the tail so am now finishing it off by getting the face done. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevewren said:

Shane that is looking very cool. Try some red glazes where the skin blends into the white belly to see if you can soften the transitions. 

That is exactly what I plan to do. It'll be my first attempt doing it at this scale but my glaze medium is ready for action.

On 5/25/2016 at 2:44 AM, Shane said:

What are your steps for creating for the base?

I'm working on the next update for my blog, which will have additional pictures of the various steps, but here's the process:

1. Build up the topography with latex modeling putty.
  2. Prime.
  3. After painting the model in question, give the entire base a heavy coat of thinned Gorthor Brown.
  4. Cover the "water" areas with a heavy coat of Stirland Mud (straight from the pot), building up a bank between these areas and the "dry land" areas.
  5. Give the "dry land" areas a heavy coat of thinned wood glue, add substrate.  I'm currently using a mix of Army Painter's Brown Battlefield and a cheaper generic equivalent I had laying around.
  6. Give the substrate a second heavy coat of thinned wood glue to seal it.  Patch any areas where the substrate has come loose.
  7. Wash the "dry land" areas twice with Agrax Earthshade, avoiding the mud.
  8. For rocks:  Paint with two coats of Dawnstone, wash with Nuln Oil.
  9. Seal the bank with 'Ardcoat - I haven't tested this yet, but it should alleviate some of the issues I'm seeing with the water effect.  Yeah, definitely don't do this.
  10. Add the water effect.  I'm currently using Vallejo's Still Water, best applied in multiple coats with 12 hours of set time in between.
  11. Clean up any cracks/bubbles in the water effect with heavy applications of 'Ardcoat.
  12. For pond scum:  Wash along the banks with Agrax Earthshade.
  13. For muddy water:  Wash desired areas with Agrax Earthshade, then seal with 'Ardcoat.
  14. Add flora.  I'm currently using Army Painter's Swamp Tufts (green) and Highland Tufts (brown).  The bushes are lichen sealed with thinned-down wood glue.  Once mounted, wash the perimeter with Agrax Earthshade to blend them to the base and hide any stray glue.
  15. Add moss.  This is simply a liberal application of Lustrian Undergrowth.
  16. Paint the rim of the base black (or your preferred color).
  17. Consume whiskey.
Edited by APH
Added a hard-learned lesson.
  • Like 2

I'm in build mode! I finished off building the contents of the US Starter Set for Bolt Action. I've almost finished assembling the contents for Silver Tower, as well as 21 'Ard Boyz. Link to the Silver Tower miniatures here 

large.5745c30a0f585_WIP2.jpglarge.5745c3089f147_WIP1.jpg

Edited by Dez

I managed to finish the last highlights and eyes on my Seraphon army. Barely got started on the bases, but it's looking really good for getting them all done during this weekend :D I'm off to the pub! Cheers!

2016-05-25 20.41.36.jpg

Edited by Grimnaud
Sorry, couldn't get the imgur link to work. Just in case; http://imgur.com/rCEq9Pn

No pics (BOO!) but I did manage to finish building the Silver Tower, base painted a US Squad for Bolt Action, built and primed a Weirdnob, built a Dwarf Lord, a bunch more 'Ardboyz...who knows what else. It's been a really busy week so I haven't had much time for hobbying, looking forward to that changing and starting an actual blog.

I finished up some Night Goblins this week

large.IMG_2698.jpg

Last night I worked on some Squadrons for the XWing Armada Game. These ships are tiny, I took a pic with an Ork Boy for comparison. 

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

I've also got a bunch of Ironjawz coming in the mail today, one of everything...well 2 boxes of Brutes :)

• Like 2