Displaying your armies

EonChao

So I'm in the fortunate position to be hopefully moving into a bigger place later this year. As such I should finally have the room to display some of my armies rather than keep them in boxes out of the way. I was wondering if anyone here who does display theirs has recommendations for furniture (preferably available in the UK but elsewhere is fine to as others might stumble across this later) that they find good for that process and what they like about it. Pictures and links appreciated but not required.

• Like 1

100% the best bang for your buck is the KALLAX shelving units from Ikea. They come in a range of different sizes (and colours/finishes

IKEA - KALLAX Shelving Unit

You can then also buy a KALLAX glass shelf insert with a glass door for each of the shelves in the unit. 

IKEA - KALLAX Glass shelf insert and glass door.

I have the (4x4) KALLAX shelving units with Glass inserts and doors with KALLAX DRAWER INSERTS running along the bottom line for additional storage. With some LED light strips they look great. Table Top Tactics uses them (in black) to display their models in their new studio which can be seen in the background of their battle report vids. 

Table Top Tactics - Nighthaunt v Indoneth Deepkin Battle report

In terms of easy availability in the UK, value for money, versatility and flexibility they are the best around (by far) unless you are willing to spend a lot of money. 

One to avoid is this one from Argos. 

ARGOS Glass Cabinet 

It is so cheap looking (and feeling) the glass is as thin as paper. 

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Hollow said:

100% the best bang for your buck is the KALLAX shelving units from Ikea. They come in a range of different sizes (and colours/finishes

You can then also buy a KALLAX glass shelf insert with a glass door for each of the shelves in the unit. 

I have the (4x4) KALLAX shelving units with Glass inserts and doors with KALLAX DRAWER INSERTS running along the bottom line for additional storage. With some LED light strips they look great. Table Top Tactics uses them (in black) to display their models in their new studio which can be seen in the background of their battle report vids. 

In terms of easy availability in the UK, value for money, versatility and flexibility they are the best around (by far) unless you are willing to spend a lot of money. 

ARGOS Glass Cabinet 

Thank you, I've been torn on KALLAX as whilst they're good for storage they seem bad for display, but the inserts with some LED strips might work reall well. And yeah the Argos one doesn't look great. I'm trying to avoid glass cabinets in general as they're focused on just displaying things, not storage. Things like Billy's or KALLAX's can be more multifunctional in my mind (models at shelves that are more on the eyeline, with lower and higher ones being used for storage.

7 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

The ikea Detolf cabinets used to go for almost nothing on the 2nd hand market. I can manage to fit close to 1k points on a shelf and it fits bigger models too.

(Looks like ikea doesnt sell them anymore?)

I did look at Detolf's years ago but I think my problem with them is that, for Warhammer at least, there's too much vertical negative space. Like my other big collection for displaying are Transformers figures and even leader class figures can get swallowed in the Detolf (I don't own any titan class figures but believe they'd also look cramped in there too).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EonChao said:

I did look at Detolf's years ago but I think my problem with them is that, for Warhammer at least, there's too much vertical negative space. Like my other big collection for displaying are Transformers figures and even leader class figures can get swallowed in the Detolf (I don't own any titan class figures but believe they'd also look cramped in there too).

You can get (non IKEA) extra shelves that fit into Deltolfs. But it looks like you can't get Deltofs for much longer. Unlike GW, IKEA still seem to have a 'last chance to buy' label.

• Subscriber

As others have said, IKEA is your best bet in the UK. 

I started with 2x FABRIKÖR 81x113cm

They seem to change designs occasionally and colours that are available, this light grey doesn't seem to be available any more.

image.jpeg.d2c549469f3ea42054bcc63385711874.jpeg

As my Ironjawz have expanded, I also ended up getting a MILSBO for them, which I managed to stick a LED strip in the top

image.jpeg.8e817d93d3704c8e5169484521ba871f.jpeg

I also have a FABRIKÖR 57x150cm not pictured. Which is ok for small warbands and with a shelf removed can fit a titan. 

I try to stick to a rule of only putting painted stuff in them, but I sometimes break that as you can see.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EonChao said:

Things like Billy's or KALLAX's can be more multifunctional in my mind (models at shelves that are more on the eyeline, with lower and higher ones being used for storage.

That's exactly my setup: IKEA BILLY with the upper part for models and lower for storage. It's important to add something to use the vertical space of the shelves though (or add new ones)

IMG_20230815_150248.jpg.3800255d69f6392bc1a4eef308dc4e18.jpg

1 hour ago, SunStorm said:

As others have said, IKEA is your best bet in the UK. 

I started with 2x FABRIKÖR 81x113cm

They seem to change designs occasionally and colours that are available, this light grey doesn't seem to be available any more.

image.jpeg.d2c549469f3ea42054bcc63385711874.jpeg

As my Ironjawz have expanded, I also ended up getting a MILSBO for them, which I managed to stick a LED strip in the top

image.jpeg.8e817d93d3704c8e5169484521ba871f.jpeg

I also have a FABRIKÖR 57x150cm not pictured. Which is ok for small warbands and with a shelf removed can fit a titan. 

I try to stick to a rule of only putting painted stuff in them, but I sometimes break that as you can see.

Love the look of the milsbo cabinet (and the Destruction minis). Seems like a good height for minis.

Edited by Gitzdee

Those look really good @SunStorm, I'm not sure I'll have the luxury of not having taller cabinets but those are definitely cabinets to think about if I can.

@Marcvs thank you for showing that, looks like Billy might work best for what I have in mind, definitely looks promising with some simple battery powered LEDs in them to turn on when I have guests.

Thank you all

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 1:31 AM, Hollow said:

ARGOS Glass Cabinet 

those kallax seems amazing,i never bougth a detolf because it seems that gona bend and go down very easy,but this seems very sturdy.

as dustproof is the glass self?

i am spanish but seems a bit expensive in €? around 150€ for the furniture + 700€ in glass selfs to complete it if i am not doing bad numbers

5 hours ago, Doko said:

those kallax seems amazing,i never bougth a detolf because it seems that gona bend and go down very easy,but this seems very sturdy.

as dustproof is the glass self?

i am spanish but seems a bit expensive in €? around 150€ for the furniture + 700€ in glass selfs to complete it if i am not doing bad numbers

Yeah thats the problem i have with it too. The inserts are way to expensive if u need a lot of them. For that amount i can almost have one custom made XD.

The Kallax shelves are sturdy, easy to assemble and offer a lot of flexibility. Not sure about Euros but the Glass shelf inserts are only £22 each. So a row of 4 = £88. I have 3 rows = £264 + £115 for the Shelving Unit itself =£379. 

What I like about it was that I originally bought the Shelving Unit, 4 Glass Shelf inserts and some Fabric Storage Drawers (Only £3 each) then bought subsequent Shelving inserts as and when I needed/wanted more room. So I didn't need to pay the full amount up front. 

The 4x4 KALLAX Unit is one of the bigger ones as well. You can get a 2x4 Unit KALLAX 2x4 (£65) With x4 Glass Sheld Inserts and 4 Fabric drawers all for a total of £165 (I guess around 200 Euros) 

There is also the BLALIDEN Unit BLALIDEN Glass Cabinet for £80, but it removes the flexibility afforded by the KALLAX Units and is nowhere near as sturdy. 

I'm an Interior Designer by trade and have done an ungodly amount of research into different furniture options over the years. If anyone knows where I could get a custom-made piece of furniture that offers a similar range of options at a similar quality please let me know. For something custom with a similar amount of shelving space and fitted glass I was quoted a minimum of £2000+ 

12 hours ago, Hollow said:

The Kallax shelves are sturdy, easy to assemble and offer a lot of flexibility. Not sure about Euros but the Glass shelf inserts are only £22 each. So a row of 4 = £88. I have 3 rows = £264 + £115 for the Shelving Unit itself =£379. 

What I like about it was that I originally bought the Shelving Unit, 4 Glass Shelf inserts and some Fabric Storage Drawers (Only £3 each) then bought subsequent Shelving inserts as and when I needed/wanted more room. So I didn't need to pay the full amount up front. 

The 4x4 KALLAX Unit is one of the bigger ones as well. You can get a 2x4 Unit KALLAX 2x4 (£65) With x4 Glass Sheld Inserts and 4 Fabric drawers all for a total of £165 (I guess around 200 Euros) 

There is also the BLALIDEN Unit BLALIDEN Glass Cabinet for £80, but it removes the flexibility afforded by the KALLAX Units and is nowhere near as sturdy. 

I'm an Interior Designer by trade and have done an ungodly amount of research into different furniture options over the years. If anyone knows where I could get a custom-made piece of furniture that offers a similar range of options at a similar quality please let me know. For something custom with a similar amount of shelving space and fitted glass I was quoted a minimum of £2000+ 

I do own a 4x4 kallax for boargame storage in the attic. It does have its uses but i would like something else for displaying miniatures.

I also noticed i was a bit quick on the custom made comment. I also did a quick search and its easily 2000+.

For now im keeping my eyes on used glass display kabinets. 

There are so many variables when it comes to considering dust. Do you live in a rural or urban environment? On a low or high floor? Will the units be placed in a high-traffic area? (lots of people coming and going) are there smokers in the home and what kind of room will the cabinets be in? Is it carpeted, air-conned, heated, etc?

Actual proper dustproof display cabinets with rubber seals (seen in retail, museums etc) Cost thousands (Think £5000+ for a similar amount of shelving space as the KALLAX) and IMO are complete overkill for Warhammer figures. (If you have a nice Rolex collection or are displaying literal Golden Demon quality figs then they may be worth it) You also generally don't want to have the cabinets in direct sunlight or to be in a room that experiences extreme temperatures. 

I generally give the inserts a light dusting once every 6/8 weeks (but could easily leave them much longer) A can of air (Or just use an air compressor) to quickly spray the models and give the shelf itself a quick wipe down. Takes about 2/3 mins per insert. Maybe an hour or two of cleaning every couple of months total. 

Edited by Hollow

hnnn i live in a urban area,a sixth floor,no smokers and in spain,so its pretty hot(even 35 grades in summer).

i never stored my warhammer miniatures im display and only keep them in plastic boxes,but my friend got a detolf and only gluing a band of foam in the edge of the door was enougth to evade dust or that he told me,so curious if this kallax was enougth or was needed use the same trick with the foam band.

but thank you for the info,i gonna keep it for when i can get a room for my display and see if i can buy it because i havent ikea here where i live