Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

Overread

On 10/22/2023 at 4:22 PM, MothmanDraws said:

Its a shame they cant use their charge buff on other units, they would make an amazing little backfield unit that just throws other units up the board to do the work for them (fitting for the lazy daemon), would also super charge sigvald

Yeah, if this ability was allowed cast on different units that would be much better.

On 10/22/2023 at 5:22 AM, MothmanDraws said:

Its a shame they cant use their charge buff on other units, they would make an amazing little backfield unit that just throws other units up the board to do the work for them (fitting for the lazy daemon), would also super charge sigvald

It s the Slaanesh curse

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I just used Slickblade Seekers in battle for the first time (they're such fiddly models, I feel like I was painting them for eons). My word, they're pleasingly slicey! I think they'll have a permanent place in my line-up from now on. 

Just building my second unit if Slickblades because they are so good. But it seems like I have forgotten how hard building and painting them is 😅

• Like 1

The problem with slickblades, though they are certainly very good, is that they're almost mandatory in any hedonites list just by the design of the book.  You need to rack up depravity to win (at the very least you need 12 dp asap, ideally turn 1) and the only reliable way to generate dp is through Euphoric Killers. 

So you need at least one unit that is fast enough to hit a favourable T1 target and with enough damage output to get those 12 wounds done, and realistically only Slickblades fit the bill.  (Potentially Fiends could work too, but they are pricer and slower.)  It's a bit of a flaw in how the book is designed, I think, there are quite a lot of interesting warscrolls in there, but because every core battle trait in the book rotates around the depravity system I find you end up pretty limited in what you can actually take in a list that won't just fall apart.

• Like 3

Hey it`s so a shame. Sickblades are to good, so GW make them more and more expencieve until they are to expencieve.

Every other Unit in This Slot is more Expensive, less violett, is slower or everything and has no extra ebenfits like Batteline or so.

Slannesh mechanikis cool but the List are very Limited at the Moment. But in 1-2 Years there is another BT and the Wheel goes round and Round and round ... ;)

I think 6 fiends is an interesting unit now that they're allowed to spread out under the updated coherency rules, but that's 400pts, in my experience 3 model fiend squads can't quite cut it as replacements for slickblades cos it's 8 less wounds and the damage output is too swingy when you really want to be hitting that magic 12 number.  I'm not sure if the innate debuffs make up for 8 less wounds than min sized slickblade units, but maybe!

Still, I do wanna play more with the 6 pack at some point, I don't think they're useless or anything.  I wish we had easier access to +1 attack buffs, fiends would love that.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 10:43 PM, Lucentia said:

I think 6 fiends is an interesting unit now that they're allowed to spread out under the updated coherency rules, but that's 400pts, in my experience 3 model fiend squads can't quite cut it as replacements for slickblades cos it's 8 less wounds and the damage output is too swingy when you really want to be hitting that magic 12 number.  I'm not sure if the innate debuffs make up for 8 less wounds than min sized slickblade units, but maybe!

Still, I do wanna play more with the 6 pack at some point, I don't think they're useless or anything.  I wish we had easier access to +1 attack buffs, fiends would love that.

I'd somehow comprehensively missed noticing the update to the coherency rules. That's gotta be a good thing for the lovely Fiends. Going to have to paint up my other three now!

And Slaanesh does love His sixes... 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 1:14 AM, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I'd somehow comprehensively missed noticing the update to the coherency rules. That's gotta be a good thing for the lovely Fiends. Going to have to paint up my other three now!

And Slaanesh does love His sixes... 

Yes, and they got a point decrease too 360 for 6 aint too bad

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, I tried invaders at a local event this WE and it wasn t as bad as I thought it would be. My list was:

- Army Faction: Hedonites of Slaanesh
     - Army Type: Invaders
     - Grand Strategy: Control the Nexus
     - Triumph: Inspired
LEADERS
Contorted Epitome (230)*
     - Spells: Merciless Blizzard
Shardspeaker of Slaanesh (130)*
     - Spells: Hoarfrost
Syll'Esske (200)**
     - Spells: Pavane of Slaanesh
Lord of Hubris (130)**
     - General
     - Command Traits: Hurler of Obscenities
Keeper of Secrets (400)**
     - Shining Aegis
     - Artefacts of Power: Icon of Infinite Excess
     - Spells: Lash of Slaanesh
BATTLELINE
Blissbarb Archers (170)**
Symbaresh Twinsouls (280)**
Blissbarb Archers (170)**
OTHER
Blissbarb Seekers (220)**
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
1 x Dreadful Visage (60)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Andtorian Acolytes
**Battle Regiment
TOTAL POINTS: 1990/2000
I went 1 win 2 losses with it

Biggest issue was with 3 drops I only got turn 1 choice 1 out my 3 games. The game I won 

The keeper can heroic action to get the best of the best command trait and use icon for a spicy 6 blades and 4 claw attacks once per game.

The list can chew through high armor thanks to all the minus save it can stack ( up to -4 )

Twinsouls back on 3 attacks each with icon can do some real pain for a strong euphoric killing

Lash of Slaanesh spell is really good.I put a unit of 10 protectors on one attack and then used the lord of hubris you first I insist while also engage with the 10 twinsouls block. The ghb spells are still the best spell we have access to. Our army spells are generally underwhelming. Lash works well on a w8zard that wants to be in melee or close to it like a kos

Sylleske can do some serious damage thanks to the whip attack now being damage 2. He killed Ionus thanks to the keeper making him attack a second time. His warscroll spell is good but 7 to cast without buff is not reliable but its one of our few spell that didn t get gutted to 12in range

Visage is a great spell because our units are so fragile in comparison to other armies we really want to max out our damage before the hit back. And 26in range!!

Gw finally removed the dumb faq where we still had to roll a 4+ to get a cp after one of our invader general died so it s now 2+ to get a cp once any of the heroes die potentially twice on a 2+ with their battle trait (shame we can t chain heroic action more than 2 heroes per the faq)

When I was forced to go first, I was still famined for depravity but thats a problem with the army mechanic not the factions.

The masque would alleviate that but I dont know where to get the points for her in this list

My opponents will always refuse temptation dice and take the mortal wounds they would promtly be able to heal back up via all the resurgence abilities in the game

Game 1 I won had 40+ depravity vs Big waagh

Game 2 lost had 20 depravity vs SCE. Was a close game

Game 3 lost had 10 depravity vs Nighthaunt where all my save debuffs was useless. Not a good matchup

While I took a grand strat that would allow me to summon , i found it s not necessary. If i have the depravity to summon, I m already winning anyway

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 10:25 PM, azdimy said:

Visage is a great spell because our units are so fragile in comparison to other armies we really want to max out our damage before the hit back. And 26in range!!

Wholehearted agreement! I nearly always include the Visage. I certainly prefer it to the Mesmerising Mirror, which seems to be the go-to for the bulk of Hedonites generals. 

I do tend to run mirror when I can squeeze a spell in, I suppose it's a side effect of the same design flaw as most list building choices; depravity points are everything, so another potential source of them is very valuable.  Plus it can be useful for forcing small heroes to make bad movement choices on occasion.

I do intend to play around with visage at some point though, I don't think it's a bad choice necessarily.

• 2 weeks later...

Apropos of very little, here's a bit of a moan.

I miss the Lurid Haze. Both the rules and the concept. I even converted a couple of my heroes to be swinging billowing censers around (I'd show them off, but they're still in an unpainted state). I love the idea of my ululating cavalcade of perverts suddenly darting out of thick clouds of violet mist!

Oh well. Can't have everything. 

The masque replaces Lurid Haze. It s a shame we lost 3 subfactions in this battletome and basically only 1 sees play in competitive gaming. Restricting enhancements being sub faction specific is also terrible. Hopefully some positive changes come our way soon!

That book really feels it was written under the 2.0 directions. No 3.0 book has any subfactions specific Artefacts as far as I know. This is an old concept we saw in aos 2.0, and they pushed it even a step further by making the spell lore subfaction specific!

Edited by azdimy
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, azdimy said:

The masque replaces Lurid Haze. It s a shame we lost 3 subfactions in this battletome and basically only 1 sees play in competitive gaming. Restricting enhancements being sub faction specific is also terrible. Hopefully some positive changes come our way soon!

That book really feels it was written under the 2.0 directions. No 3.0 book has any subfactions specific Artefacts as far as I know. This is an old concept we saw in aos 2.0, and they pushed it even a step further by making the spell lore subfaction specific!

If all the subfaction artefacts and spells had at least been worth using, it wouldnt be the biggest deal. But Invaders are sitting at only 1 artefact and 1 spell that dont suck. To top that off, you always want the same command traits too (hurler base, chain hurler + botb) because there is nothing else. It's like running a unique character.

Edited by JackOfBlades
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I among many am rooting hard for the 'finding' or recreation of Slaanesh this year.  They can do a massive release with the Umbraneth and make MILLIONS! 

The who?

Forgive me, my knowledge of the wider lore beyond Slaanesh is a little limited.