AoS 3.0 - Gloomspite GItz Discussion

Nezzhil

How good are Stabbas and Shootas at the moment? Thinking of buying at least one unit but i dont know if its worth it for me as i dont want to commit to painting 100 of these for them to be worthwhile. Im talking about 1000 point battles here btw.

Are Shootas good for using leftover points? 

Any use for Stabbas at 20 at all?

Do these need to be supported to not be trash compared to a Squigherd?

Should i be running Snarlfangs instead?

Sorry, dont know much about these things. Btw i am not looking for a full moonclan grot army build. I want to know if they could be used/usefull outside of their subfaction.

Edit: Something like this.

LEADERS
Skragrott, the Loonking (160)
     - Spells: Itchy Nuisance
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (140)
     - General
     - Command Traits: Squig Whisperer
     - Moonclan Stabba
     - Artefacts of Power: The Clammy Cowl
BATTLELINE
Squig Hoppers (180)
Squig Herd (120)
Moonclan Stabbas (125)
     - Bad Moon Icon Bearer
     - Gong Basher
     - Stabba
     - 3 Barbed Nets
Squig Herd (120)
OTHER
Gobbapalooza (145)
     - Spells: The Hand of Gork
TERRAIN
1 x Bad Moon Loonshrine (0)
TOTAL POINTS: 990/1000

Edited by Gitzdee

@Gitzdee I can't tell you from experience but shootas definitely got a glow up! 

Take 40, 1 netter (all you need for -1 to hit now), and you've got 80 attacks at 20" range! 

You can be real nasty and give them -1rend from the gobbapalooza spiker as well. 

Looks fun to me. 

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Take 40, 1 netter (all you need for -1 to hit now), and you've got 80 attacks at 20" range! 

You can be real nasty and give them -1rend from the gobbapalooza spiker as well. 

Looks fun to me. 

Sounds fun indeed. A few worries though.

Can u take only 1 though, the app only lets u choose 0 or 3 netters?

I am also wondering if it is worth the 250 points and would have to cut a squig herd unit to do so.

59 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Can u take only 1 though, the app only lets u choose 0 or 3 netters?

Good question. i read the warscroll as optional... At most you'll only need the 3 then, totaling 78 attacks. Heh. 

Is it worth it? Idk but 20" missle threat is nice in an otherwise mostly melee/magic army. 

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 1

Starting to work on serious lists with the new book.

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
- Gittish Horde: King's Gitz
- Grand Strategy: Chasing the Moon
- Triumphs: Indomitable

Leaders
Squigboss with Gnasha-squig (80)*
- General
- Command Trait: The Clammy Hand
Skragrott, The Loonking (160)*
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance
Madcap Shaman (70)*
Squigboss with Gnasha-squig (80)**
- Aspect of the Champion: Tunnel Master
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (370)**
- Artefact: Loonstone Teefcaps

Battleline
20 x Moonclan Stabbas (125)*
36 x Squig Herd (360)*
- Reinforced x 2
24 x Squig Herd (240)**
- Reinforced x 1
24 x Squig Herd (240)**
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Boingrot Bounderz (140)**

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Battle Regiment

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 250
Drops: 2

Waiting for the FAQ to see if squig herds will be nerfed or not. Right now they are very very good. Maybe they'll remove the abuse of splitting one model away from your unit and making everything else flee to deal a massive amount of MW during the battleshock phase.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spenson said:

Starting to work on serious lists with the new book.

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
- Gittish Horde: King's Gitz
- Grand Strategy: Chasing the Moon
- Triumphs: Indomitable

Leaders
Squigboss with Gnasha-squig (80)*
- General
- Command Trait: The Clammy Hand
Skragrott, The Loonking (160)*
Madcap Shaman (70)*
Squigboss with Gnasha-squig (80)**
- Aspect of the Champion: Tunnel Master
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (370)**
- Artefact: Loonstone Teefcaps

Battleline
36 x Squig Herd (360)*
- Reinforced x 2
24 x Squig Herd (240)**
- Reinforced x 1
24 x Squig Herd (240)**
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Boingrot Bounderz (140)**

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Battle Regiment

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 250
Drops: 2

Waiting for the FAQ to see if squig herds will be nerfed or not. Right now they are very very good. Maybe they'll remove the abuse of splitting one model away from your unit and making everything else flee to deal a massive amount of MW during the battleshock phase.

Why did u choose to include 2x 20 stabbas instead of a bigger tarpit or 1x40 shootas? 

And why not lose them for something else like more bounders or snufflers?

Just wondering what your thoughts are about this list.

7 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

Why did u choose to include 2x 20 stabbas instead of a bigger tarpit or 1x40 shootas? 

And why not lose them for something else like more bounders or snufflers?

Just wondering what your thoughts are about this list.

Depending on the matchup they can be used either as screens, objective holders or a way to protect the faction terrain. There are quite a few scenarios where the squigs will attempt to charge T1 so I need something to stay back. Sure, a single model killed will stop them from contesting objectives 9" away but this is not really the goal here. A single blob of 40 is less flexible.

Bounderz are there just to provide a bit more punch in melee with the loonboss but the heavy lifting is done by the squig herds.

Snuflers are interesting on a 72W unit but I didn't have enough points to include them in the army. Maybe instead of the bounderz. But I'll need to test it.

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 12:51 AM, Vasshpit said:

Looks fun to me. 

About the gobbapalooza combo.

apparently there is no limit to the amount of rend you can stack on shootas or any unit with multiple gobbapalooza.

is that a mistake maybe, very likely, I don’t really know.

it might get faqed but it does seem fun for doing it ones.

one unit of 60 shootas and the rest of the army just gobbapaloozas😂.

it sounds so ridiculous and unlikely to be a thing

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dont think the models are that bad to be honest. They suffer from needing to be rank and file but i could give them better poses with some greenstuff for sure. The arms and heads dont look that different from the other troggoths imho. I would rather see new sour or sulphur breath troggoths, they would fit well within the gitmob theme too.

• Like 2

@Gitzdee It's more of a design thing for me. They're anatomically odd and definitely have a comical look. And i get it, thats what they were going for. Its not bad or good just a certain design. I'm just looking for something more in line with the new krule troggs. 

A bit less comical and bit more scary. 

Its all subjective of course. I just stumbled upon that piece of art and it hit the trogg spot for me. 

I'd welcome anymore troggs fo sho!!

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 2:38 AM, Gitzdee said:

I dont think the models are that bad to be honest. They suffer from needing to be rank and file but i could give them better poses with some greenstuff for sure. The arms and heads dont look that different from the other troggoths imho. I would rather see new sour or sulphur breath troggoths, they would fit well within the gitmob theme too.

Gotta disagree; those crests have some of the most obnoxious gaps I've ever had to fill and the necks just look awful. You also pretty much have to do the basing before gluing it on because they are such shortstacks. Im actually considering cutting off the bases of the ones ive glued on so that I can debase them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

Gotta disagree; those crests have some of the most obnoxious gaps I've ever had to fill and the necks just look awful. You also pretty much have to do the basing before gluing it on because they are such shortstacks. Im actually considering cutting off the bases of the ones ive glued on so that I can debase them.

Yeah kinda forgot about that part. Its been a while since i build those. Must be because the new troggoth kits are close to perfect imho.

Gitz are so good right now it’s pretty crazy. The nerfs are going to come quick. I suspect in both FAQ’s and points. Hopefully the points won’t be too bad, I think there are some very reasonable FAQ changes that could come (multiple gobbapalooza, rallying them on 4+), but it’s fun to play with a lot of toys and points could cut that off. 

for some of the discussion here, I’d suggest people should not underestimate stabbas. Rolling up and taking an objective from 9” away is amazing. A block of 40 is very difficult to remove and will hang onto an objective quite stubbornly. It’s a high value for 250 points, even if it can’t kill anything. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gailon said:

for some of the discussion here, I’d suggest people should not underestimate stabbas. Rolling up and taking an objective from 9” away is amazing. A block of 40 is very difficult to remove and will hang onto an objective quite stubbornly. It’s a high value for 250 points, even if it can’t kill anything. 

How do they take an objective from 9" away?!

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

How do they take an objective from 9" away?!

It's... literally an ability on their warscroll?

As for potential nerfs:

Skragrott will probably go up in points, which is fine. But I worry that GW will nerf the Squig Herd. They are fine in my opinion. They have very clear weaknesses (Bravery 3, no commands, 6+ save, only hit on 4+, no reliable movement). So the moment they get charged, they'll just evaporate. They've got a high volume of attacks and good support synergie but so do other armies (Mortek Guard, With Aelves, Corsairs etc.) and we don't see them getting nerfed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Causalis said:

As for potential nerfs:

Skragrott will probably go up in points, which is fine. But I worry that GW will nerf the Squig Herd. They are fine in my opinion. They have very clear weaknesses (Bravery 3, no commands, 6+ save, only hit on 4+, no reliable movement). So the moment they get charged, they'll just evaporate. They've got a high volume of attacks and good support synergie but so do other armies (Mortek Guard, With Aelves, Corsairs etc.) and we don't see them getting nerfed.

a bunch of the army might be underpointed? but I don't think they really need many nerfs other than that. Herds could probably slip back up to 140 points and be fine?

People are just getting whiplash because gitz aren't abysmal anymore. I don't think a lot of people understand just how big the gap in strength was.

56 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

People are just getting whiplash because gitz aren't abysmal anymore. I don't think a lot of people understand just how big the gap in strength was.

This is true. Feels like we are finally a part of 3rd edition.

Still cant figure out if i should buy the Snarlfangs or Snufflers as support for my troggs.

4 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

This is true. Feels like we are finally a part of 3rd edition.

Still cant figure out if i should buy the Snarlfangs or Snufflers as support for my troggs.

Snufflers are great for fellwaters, I wouldn't bother bringing them for rockguts.

Snarlfangs are mostly just fast chaff, they're a bit better than spider riders and have more tricks, but also cost more points. For some reason those wolf jaw attacks have 2" range though, which is making me want to try out a reinforced unit.

• Like 2

Sooooo Snarlfangs vs Bounders? (In a trogg list)

Bounders got more attacks, no ranged attack, better save, bonus dmg on charge, gets buffed by the bad moon.

Snarlfangs got the bigger bases, no random movement, good potential dmg on the jaws attack, 6" pile in, ranged attack and full command.

12 hours ago, Causalis said:

As for potential nerfs:

We shall see in gameplay but I think it’s the range on the mortal wounds when they run that makes them a bit oppressive. You can charge them in, do damage, die and then run and pop a support a hero that was well behind enemy screens. If that ability was 3” I think people would be a lot less concerned about herd.