AoS 3 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Arzalyn

Good timing!  I just fought with my Bonesplitterz for the first time last night....

Did a practice-learning game with my Dispossessed vs my new Bonesplitterz last night.  I went with Greywater Fastness but pretty much forgot to use anything from there.  Bonesplitterz were Icebone.  Mission: Apex Predators.  Realm: Purple Vortex Carpet Land

Dwarves: Warden King (general, Seat on the Council, Amulet of Destiny)/ Runelord (Curse)/ Runelord (Guidance)/ allied Runesmiter/ LordArcanum on Gryph/ 30 Longbeards w Great Axes/2x10 Irondrakes w torpedoes/10 allied Hearthguard Berzerkers w poleaxes/2 Fulminators/ 3 Gyrocopters.

Orruks: Savage Big Boss (general, Great Hunter for the extra pregame move)/ Wurgogg Prophet (Glowin' Tatooz)/ Wurgogg/ Wardokk/ Wardokk/ Maniak Weirdknob (Green Glowy Tusks)/ 2x10 Savage Orruks w stikkas/5 Boarboys w stikkas/10 Boarboy Maniaks/2x4 Big Stabbas/20 Arrowboys

Deployment

Deployment.jpg

Both armies had 2 Battle Regiments, but the Dwarves won the side choice and decided to go first to try to nab those objectives before the Orruks could.....but the Orruks moved up 8" before the game and had a big bunch of heroes near the center.

Tireless Trackers.jpg

The Lord-Arcanum and Fulminators had no trouble getting to that far objective and wiping out the 5 Boarboys.  Runesmiter and HGBs high-tailed it to their side objective trying to block the feeble priest with their hulking beard-saves.  The wall of Longbeards and Irondrakes and heroes marched quickly as they could to the center but could not charge because they ran for Ferocious Advance.  Probably shoulda tried to charge instead.  Gyrocopters flew up to do some hurt to the Maniaks and got rid of 3 of them (as I've never run cavalry before I gave myself a mulligan on their coherency, otherwise they would have lost 3 more from that!  Noob mistake).  Ferocious Advance achieved plus max objective points!  5 points total for dwarves.

End of Round 1.jpg

Then bottom of turn 1, things get ugly, or beautiful, depending on your species.  Savage Boss, 10 stikkaboys, and 4 Big Stabbas get Ferocious Advance.  General Wurgogg rolls a 1 to stare down the Warden King 😛  Maniaks get their Glowy Green Tusks and Mystic Shield, whilst a Wardokk gives +1 save to 10 stikkaboys who aim to charge the Fulminators as the Wardokk moves towards the Lord-Arcanum's objective.  Arrowboys went all out attack on the Longbeards for 2 dead Longbeards.  Maniaks charge the Longbeards=12 dead Longbeards and in return 3 dead Maniaks (as the Longbeards had the Rend-2 prayer on them AND the Ancestral Shield  6+ ward save).   Stikkaboys charge and kill exactly 1 Fulminator BUT I gave the Dwarves a mulligan here as I noticed the Lord-Arcanum has something called Cycle of the Storm, which negates a wound/MW that would kill a Stormcast model nearby.  5 dead stikkaboys I think after that.  Orruks at 3 points as a Wurgogg stepped a bit to capture the center objective, and they got Ferocious Advance.

Big Scrum Turn 2-3.jpg

Orruks get Turn 2 Priority!  1 Wurgogg whiffs his mask again, but the other manages to stare at the Longbeards long enough to wipe them out!  Arrowboys move towards the Lord-Arcanum, all out attack and DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  Maniaks charge some Irondrakes, and get hell unleashed upon their faces, and 2 dead Maniaks.  However the Savage Big Boss and Big Stabbas charge the HGBs, the big boss piles in 3" to nail the Runesmiter dead with his mighty Gorktoof axe, and then the Stabbas immediately get to attack the HGBs for 4 dead there.  But then the HGBs strike back and kill a couple Big STabbas AND the Savage Boss.  Big Stabbas fail to kill any Duardin heroes in the center.  So 2 points for Broken Ranks, plus 1 point for the center objective.  Total of 6 for the Orruks now.

Arrowboys have a target.jpg

Then the Warden King fails to generate CPs twice, decides to stand on his Oathstone.  But a Runelord does Guidance for a CP, the other gives some Drakes a 6++.  Lord-Arcanum casts Healing LIght on the Fulminators on a 10......but the Wardokk says Mork sez NO and rolls a natural 11!  No Healing Light.  So he rides the aetheric winds over to the objective by the HGBs, but fails the charge so he doesn't capture that objective.  Irondrakes kill off the Maniaks and a unit of Big Stabbas,  HGBs fail to do any MW to the remaining Stabbas and they lived.  The Wardokk actually kills a Fulminator before dieing himself WOOT!   0 points as they failed to Conquer, and no objective points.  still 5 points for Dwarves.

Turn 3 Orruks go first again.  Dwarves burn the center objective.  Wurgogg gets Slay The Warlord with a good healthy staredown!  Sorry Warden King.  Maniak Weirdknob retreats cuz he's fast to go over towards the Fulminator's objective.  Arrowboys shoot and charge that Fulminator to finish him off.  HGBs kill the Stabbas.  So 2 points for the Slay the Warlord but no objective points.  8 points for Orruks total.

Turn 3.jpg

The Gyrocopters retreated and zipped deep into enemy territory to achieve Savage Spearhead, but no objective points are gotten.  So 7 total for Dwarves

After Bottom of Turn 3.jpg

Turn 4 I just went fast mode and rolled for Priority, Dwarves got it!  So the last Runelord with a CP run could have gotten the objective point but not achieved any other Battle Tactics, so figure another Dwarf point for 8 total.  Plus Hold the Line for 11.

The Maniak Weirdknob would get the other far objective and the center heroes probably could have nabbed Savage Spearhead themselves for another 3, so figure 11 total for the Orruks.  Plus Prized Sorcerery for 14.

Close HARD game, staving off brainfog by learning 2 armies at once.   Good stuff!  Orruks get dibs on next painted units. (plus they're primed and the Dwarves are not yet, it's winter).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe when it gets warmer I could be naked when I play?  Depends on the local laws....

BUT FOR NOW my next game will almost certainly be vs my friend's SoulBlight Blood Knight heavy army.  Not quite sure what I should bring.  Was wanting to try out the Rogue Idol and some Big Stabbas and a Skitterstrand.  Guess I'll start there.  Icebone, so figure I'll want plenty of attacks.  Looking at the Boarboys, they're at 5 each with the Tusks and Hooves, so 25 per unit, whereas the foot Boys have 20 per unit.  So with Icebone having Boarboys as battleline, makes sense to have them probably.  But being limited on model count and high on speed, I think I'll want to go first if possible, so need to limit my drops.  Hmmm, probably 2 drops is the lowest with 2 behemoths.  Thus:

Icebone Monstrous Battle Regiment v1.JPG

On 2/14/2022 at 5:03 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Oh here's a rules question about the Boarboys: they add 1 to hit and wound rolls for stikkas or tusks/hooves after they charge.  It say 'or'....does that mean we have to pick one to add the hit and wound rolls to?  Or am I mistaken?  I'd rather be mistaken.

RAW I think it’s one or the other, RAI I think it’s both

its poorly worded, but I think they combined the Boars Charge and Stikkas ability into one rather than 2 separate abilities, Chompas obviously aren’t supposed to get the +1 which is why it’s worded that way

• Thanks 1

I am attending a 1-day tournament in a few weeks and I wanted to share my list with you guys, and maybe get some input from you. I played a few rounds so far and am very pleased on how it works, shooting heavy opponents might mean trouble for me, or anything that hinders my movement. The list is more about board control, than killing stuff. Sure Kragnos is a beat stick, but the output is very swingy, A few mortals here and there and maybe u get Tusks off on your maniaks and it is partytime. But actually you want to bind your opponent in his deployment zone. Until he chew through one or two of your pig units Kragnos will charge again and lay waste, while your other units grab and secure objectives and battle tactics. The Maniak Weirdnob is the general with Fast'Un so you get him where he is needed or zip out of danger and frees up your Wurrgog Prohet for staring at the frontline, should you opponent decide to go after your general.

The successes I had so far where wins against, Fyreslayers, LRL, Ossiarch Bonereapers, Seraphon. Sure they all do more damage or are tougher than you, but you have the mobility and resilience to play the objectives, playing more kunnin' than brutal. Deciding where to charge what with whom (erase screens and just sit in your opponents way, go Boarboys, going in for the kill charge with Maniaks, opponent is likely to go for "Break the ranks" Maniaks or Kragnos. 
The Prophet is surely our best warscrolls, I just want to finally add, He stared down, Nagash, Gotrek, Windspirits and 2 Bastilladons.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
- Warclan: Icebone
- Grand Strategy: Get Dem Bones!
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Maniak Weirdnob (100)*
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Glowy Green Tusks
Wurrgog Prophet (150)*
- Artefact: Glowin' Tattooz
Kragnos, The End of Empires (720)*

Battleline
5 x Savage Boarboys (140)*
- Chompas
- Chompas
- Chompas

Units
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (290)*
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1970 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 136
Drops: 1

• Like 2

Hmmm, I almost have the models to try this out.  the fast cavalry theme is pretty exciting, haven't used that before.  

I could see a scenario where Kragnos gets debuffed by auras or prayers, etc, and then other stuff just shoots the rest to pieces.  Auric Hearthguard Fyreslayers or Cities could do that probably.  Gitz with allied Kruelboyz maybe too?

But kunnin'z important to remember.  Gotta practice dat.

On 2/15/2022 at 11:05 AM, Keilerei said:

I am attending a 1-day tournament in a few weeks and I wanted to share my list with you guys, and maybe get some input from you.

Reveal hidden contents

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
- Warclan: Icebone
- Grand Strategy: Get Dem Bones!
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Maniak Weirdnob (100)*
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Wurrgog Prophet (150)*
- Artefact: Glowin' Tattooz
Kragnos, The End of Empires (720)*

Battleline
- Chompas
- Chompas
- Chompas

Units
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1970 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 136
Drops: 1

I have seen a lot of Kraggy lists in action recently and I think he should work well in BSP. One thing I would consider to make room in the list for is the soulscream bridge and/or the lifeswarm. The first one is just increasing his threat range to the whole board and the latter can do wonders to keep him alive.

On 2/16/2022 at 9:38 AM, Orkmann said:

I have seen a lot of Kraggy lists in action recently and I think he should work well in BSP. One thing I would consider to make room in the list for is the soulscream bridge and/or the lifeswarm. The first one is just increasing his threat range to the whole board and the latter can do wonders to keep him alive.

I'm on the fence about Endless Spells in general unless they're taken with some dedicated wizardry augmentation.  For Bonesplitterz I think a Wardokk or two would help out a bunch, a Rogue Idol even more, though that's a bunch of points.  But Emerald Lifeswarm is pretty darn good in general.  Soulscream Bridge would make great terrain even if not used as a spell.

Looks like taking Kragnos does not negate the Bonesplitterz subfaction abilities?  Hmmm, something to consider for sure.  Wouldn't more Boarboyz w Stikkas be better than more Maniaks, maybe take the Maniaks in 5s?  I think overall with the 2" range the regular Boars would get more attacks.  If Glowy Green Tusks fails don't the Maniaks tend to suffer from 1" range?  Guess if it's winning can't argue with that ☠️ 

12 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I'm on the fence about Endless Spells in general unless they're taken with some dedicated wizardry augmentation.  For Bonesplitterz I think a Wardokk or two would help out a bunch, a Rogue Idol even more, though that's a bunch of points.  But Emerald Lifeswarm is pretty darn good in general.  Soulscream Bridge would make great terrain even if not used as a spell.

Looks like taking Kragnos does not negate the Bonesplitterz subfaction abilities?  Hmmm, something to consider for sure.  Wouldn't more Boarboyz w Stikkas be better than more Maniaks, maybe take the Maniaks in 5s?  I think overall with the 2" range the regular Boars would get more attacks.  If Glowy Green Tusks fails don't the Maniaks tend to suffer from 1" range?  Guess if it's winning can't argue with that ☠️ 

I thought so aswell but after some people posting how to get most boars into combat maniaks come out on top regardless. If you struggle a lot to get in all possible boars that might change.

The breaking point is when you can only get in 6 boars, but all 10 stikkas can attack. (Around 0,5 dmg before saves though)

all out attack not factored in, with all out attack boarboys never overtake them in dmg. 
if you include the tusk spell and icebone maniaks will be even better since you are forced to get into 1“ range, so the extra range of stikkas doesn’t combine that well with the spell.
all calculations treat them as charging. You also have to consider the extra save though.

in my head boarboys are very independent objective grabbers, tarpits and ok dmg dealers

Edited by AlmGandix3
Added extra points
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm, guess I'll prioritize painting the Maniaks then and 5 Boarboys (have 2x10 foot Stikkas for other battlelines in Icebone).  Got a game this week and trying to get at least a few colors on them all for a not-boring looking match.  

I might try out a few Wardokks too.  +1 save not-prayers frees up CPs for All Out Attack instead.  It will be vs SoulBlight w Carstein, a Zombie Dragon probably giving me -1 to wound all day, and 2x5 BloodKnights plus some zombies and grave guard, and possibly a Black Coach or Mortis Engine or Corpse Cart.  On the fence about the Rogue Idol and/or allied Spiderfang.  The deepstriking Arok was hard to fit and didn't do much at all....though the Spider Riders made a great screen.  Big Stabbas all over the place though, they ROCK!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Do you guys think Gotrek's ability counters our Prophet's ability? It seems to because the wording makes it so the same ability can only cause a maximum of 1 da

image.png.4ea7f4bc2538644dea0de20cb585c6a4.png

My argument for this is the same as it was for the Evocators mortal wounds - his rule reduces each individual dice to 1 damage, my reasoning is that each dice is a separate instance of the ability, or in the case of the Wurrgog he uses the ability multiple times

On 2/22/2022 at 8:27 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Hmmm, guess I'll prioritize painting the Maniaks then and 5 Boarboys (have 2x10 foot Stikkas for other battlelines in Icebone).  Got a game this week and trying to get at least a few colors on them all for a not-boring looking match.  

I might try out a few Wardokks too.  +1 save not-prayers frees up CPs for All Out Attack instead. 

I like the dokks for their healing, which is great with the Wurrgog. Another thing is that I think it's worth to try the wardokks with a larger unit of stikka boyz, esp if you already have them painted. I was quite sad for my foot boyz when the tome released, but than I tried to run a unit of 30 and it worked very well. It's a lot of points but it changes how the army plays. The piggies hit hard but lack the staying power, while the big blob is super tanky, considering the waaagh and potential rallies. It also helps with Hold the Line, as GS can be an issue otherwise.

• Thanks 1

Victory over the Soulblight Vyrkos Dynasty!  Mission: Feral Foray.  He had VLoZD, Radukar the Beast, Necromancer, Grave Digger guy, 2 units of zombies, 1 of 20 Graveguard, 10 Dire Wolves, and 2x5 Blood Knights.  

I had Icebone, Savage Boss, 2 Wurgoggs, 2x5 and 1x10 Boars, 10 Maniaks, 2x4 Stabbas and the Rogue Idol.  I dropped and went first, after moving 8" up of course.  Rogue Idol and big boar units were in his face turn 1.  But as you can see I mistakenly placed the boarboys too close to the Graveguard and they piled in a nearly wiped them, and then finishing them off bottom of 1.  Rogue Idol nearly killed the VLoZD after making the charge to zombies and piling into the VampLord, who retreated with 2 wounds bottom of 1.  Maniaks killed some zombies.  He finished off the big boarboys unit but I called the WAAAGH bottom of 1 and it saved my Rogue Idol who survived with 9 wounds on him.  Maniaks got charged by Wolves but they did very little.

Turn 2 Wurgogg killed the Blood Knights on the Idol and that freed him to go kill the VLoZD, who was then killed bottom of 2 by the GraveGuard.  Maniaks killed Wolves and Zombies as some Boars and Stabbas repositioned in the center.  Stabbas had to go deal with some gravesite summoned zombies but they weren't very hard to deal with.  Blood Knights had to deal with Savage Boss and Stabbas and fell hard by end of turn 3.  Radukar never went down despite my 1 Wurgogg trying for 5 minutes to mask him to death, blew himself up instead :D

Boarboys ended up charging the Necromancer to COnquer and objective, all the Graveguard got Maniaked (depsite hitting real hard, the GGs go down easily without their fancy spells and defense buffs, though they can be summoned back half-strength: BEWARE THE GRAVEGUARD).

Failed my Grand Strategy but ended turn 3 cuz of store closing 17-12.  But I think had we a turn 4 I could have killed Radukar, gotten Savage Spearhead plus more objectives for even bigger lead.  So many bones to savor!  Gotta do some painting.

IMG_20220223_184719.jpg

IMG_20220223_184726.jpg

IMG_20220223_184730.jpg

IMG_20220223_194302.jpg

IMG_20220223_194306.jpg

IMG_20220223_200529.jpg

IMG_20220223_200537.jpg

IMG_20220223_200547.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 6:29 AM, Iksdee said:

I was wondering if u all use a full command models for every 5 man unit this army has every time? 

Oh like the Icon and Instruments?  I think that's a yes for the Boarboys and Boarboy Maniaks, but the Savage Orruks, Arrowboys, and Morboys are 1 Icon and Instrument per every 10 models (cuz that's the minimum unit size).

I had a battle vs the IDK Morphann subfaction.  I had Drakkfoot/4 Wurgoggs (Master of Magic and Glowin Tatooz on the general)/2x10 Stikkaboys/1x10 Morboys/3x4 Big Stabbas/Rogue Idol.  I just took 2x Power of the Wereboar and 2 Gorkamorka's Warcry for my spells.  

He had one of each Eidolon, some tiny foot general and the foot guy with the big hook, 10 and 20 Thralls, 2x10 shooty Reavers?, and allied 2x20 Dark Elf Corsairs.  Mission Veins of Ghur so no objectives to start with.  I went first and Ferocious Advanced up and pretty much had a castle on the center.  He moved up did some shooting and took out some Stikkas and Big Stabbas.

I went first round 2 and charged some Corsairs and Monstrous Tookover the randomly appeared objective on my right, and killed a bunch of Corsairs with the Rogue Idol.  Wurgogg cast Fists of Gork on 20 Thralls and killed 13 of them with a casting roll of 11 so that was good.  And my other Stabbas, charged into the back Corsairs but stabbed over them to cut 8 wounds of the Aspect of the Sea wizard Eidolon.  Aelves then shot off more dudes and failed to take back the central objective, they achieved Broken Ranks easily though fishing off the Morboys....and flew over with his Stormy Eidolon and killed the Were-boar Wurgogg easily (that guy can retreat and charge I think, something to be wary of for sure).

I got priority turn 3 again and tried to get Broken Ranks but my Rogue Idol was striking last this turn cuz of their High Tide rule and I was not in range or sight to use the Wurgogg Mask on the little Reavers unit, nor even GorkaMorka's Warcry.  But Idol did kill all but 1 (he got a wound roll of 1 on one of the Fist attacks, DRATS!).  Earlier one of my Wurgoggs exploded himself trying to Mask the Stormy Eidolon but the General Wurgogg finished the job.  My backfield dudes ran over to get that objective so I scored a good 8 points that turn.  He answered with Assassins of the High Tide to kill my general and 3 Stikkaboys left in the middle.

Turn 4 was key, and had I gotten Priority I could have used my Rogue Idol to reclaim the right objective and kill bunches of Thralls.....alas the TIDES turned and he got priority and rolled my Idol with Thralls and FLOODED that objective.  He also got Bring It Down and no stinkin' avalanche at all, which was very lame and disappointing.  I tried to get Slay the Warlord with my last Wurgogg and he killed himself on the first 3 tries doing no MW whatsoever to the little fish-aelf general. 

I definitely found myself missing the extra MW in combat more than enjoying the ignoring MW effect of Drakkfoot.  Just to situational and isn't always 'turned on', as most armies don't have enough ward saves to warrant it.  The one or two times someone might face Nurgle it would be super awesome but overall I have to agree Icebone is the way.  And with Boars as battleline we enjoy the speed too.  Not sure 4 Wurgoggs is super necessary but 2 spell wizards with the Mask possibility is too good to pass up :D  Big Stabbas are always good, Rogue Idol is pretty good but pricy.  Hmmmm.  Gonna just paint my Boars and wait for the GHB to decide what I'd bring to my big summer event.  

IMG_20220402_131706.jpg

IMG_20220402_140714.jpg

IMG_20220402_140725.jpg

IMG_20220402_143454.jpg

IMG_20220402_151334.jpg

IMG_20220402_143454.jpg

IMG_20220402_140721.jpg

Edited by Lord Krungharr
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, C0deb1ue said:

Could anyone explain how big stabbas work?

1 base has two models. Each model on the base gets 3 attacks? 

Also does a unit of two mean 2 bases ( 4 models and 12 attacks)?

Each unit is 2 Big Stabba models. Each model has a base. The two orruks carrying a big stabba is a model.

Each base gets 3 attacks, so a unit is 2 models for 6 attacks total.

• Like 1

Kind of feeling burnt out with SCE and NH, so thinking about playing Bonesplitterz for my next three 1k tournaments.   One of them has some interesting comp rules,  so I am limited by choices such as no duplicates with the exception of default battleline.  I am also going with a Ghur/Thondia theme.   Not sure this will be the final list if I make the change,  but here is what I am leaning towards. 

- Army Faction: Orruk Warclans
     - Army Type: Bonesplitterz
     - Subfaction: Icebone
     - Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
LEADERS
Wardokk (80)
     - Bonding:  Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur
Wurrgog Prophet (150)
     - General
Savage Big Boss (65)
     - Artefacts of Power: Arcane Tome
     - Spells: Flaming Weapon