How to grow a large local AoS Community

Belathor

Now that things have started to open back up I’m seeing lots of people ask how to grow their community. So this is something I’ve actually done in the absolute worst time to do this outside of a pandemic. 

Disclaimer: we’re not here to talk about the beer company disease. I’m just here to give facts on how i grew my community. We all know how to do this safely at this point its not a conversation needed here. 

How to grow a community from people with 0 interest in the game.

I played a ton of fantasy back in 7th and 8th edition and toward the end times I got a good friend of mine into the game. He loved his new nagash model and I loved shooting it with 3 dwarf cannons and 2 bolt throwers because I was a savage like that but we really didn’t love the game. The text book we had to lug around the expansion books the cost of an army was high. You’ve seen the youtube videos this isn’t a post about why 8th wasn’t great. But the moment aos released… 4 page rulebook… you can see every units abilities for free? Sold done. The only arguments I had was that the game had no points and that made things wonky.

But we played. Every week. We were at that store and I’m going to make this sound way more dramatic than it really was but we got a TON of hate. “Kids game, circle bases” was notably what we got from our previous friends who we played 8th with all the time now were pushing us as outsiders. It was ok honestly we were having a great time.

this brings me to tip one.

Play the game at your store and have a good time

In the beginning everyone was coming up and being negative to us as we were just playing the game and having fun. Laughing about the crazy abilities aos had at the time, we named our characters it was great. When people came up to us hating on the game they just looked like dicks.

It’s the same thing club promoters do. If you’re having a good time others want to come have a good time and Age of Sigmar is their way to do it.

You need exactly 1 friend committed to this with you. Thats it. Everyone i’ve talked to whos done something similar started with one friend going with them every week. It’s all it really takes. That’s on you to find your brother or sister in arms.

DO NOT ARGUE

I don’t know how to scream this loud enough. Don’t you dare argue over rules while you are playing the game. The battle tech community failed at my store because of this. It isn’t because of the game they showed us how to play it was fun. But they constantly argued and loudly. People actively avoided them.

Discuss rules issues don’t argue them just chill out its fine. Believe me you think aos has weird rules now lemme tell ya about first edition and I’m not just talking about daisy chains. So I went through this I know theres some times where its hard. But trust me you raging over a game is the easiest way to set back months of good will. 

Second Tip

This is a longterm investment. You won’t see a result 3 weeks from now. Its low and slow baby like any good soup. We went from 0 interest until 1st edition. Picked up 2 consistent players. Second half of first 6 players. 2nd edition 20 players before pandemic? 40-50 consistent players. You had to be there the day they put up leagues or tournaments because they filled in an hour.

I can’t take credit for building all of it, but I will take credit for pushing the first domino. Really all that first push took was having fun and teaching anyone who asked how to play the game. That easy.

Don’t start with escalation leagues or path to glory

Look most of the new players coming into the game come from video games. They’re coming from league they’re coming from world of warcraft they see path to glory as “not the real game”. They don’t care. They should play one or two games at 1k then maybe 1 at 1.5 then we’re at full speed with 2k. Most of this crowd hates tutorials and putting them in a league thats a 6 week tutorial effectively is a huge ask. Video games can barely ask for 15 minutes how are you about to ask for 6 weeks? 

Just don’t treat new players like children they’re adults its a game full of stem majors they barely paid attention to their degree and code like geniuses  just through figuring it out and searching up a lot of forums. they can figure out aos. 

In my experience just do league tournaments or one day events. Do 5 weeks MAX you will get a massive drop out rate at 6. I don’t know why but thats the cut off. 4 is ideal. It should be 2k every game or if you are doing escalation 1k 1.5 2k 2k 2k. Any time I ran an escalation league everyone just asked for more 2k games. You could honestly do them all at 2k games.

Cost of entry to these I have to give credit to the shop owner for this it was genius. Cost is 2 paint pots. You go buy two paint pots and thats your cost to join the league. Also there are winners to the league. You win store credit. Points determined at the end painted army with effort counted. If i’m Going to start talking like some pseudo marketing major who has no idea really what he’s talking about “This encouraged investment and commitment to the product for those who participated.”

little tangent on what I mean by “they don’t care”

So I’m going to explain path to glory from something recent in world of warcraft “thorghast.” Those who don’t play might say “whats that” those who played this expansion just groaned. Thorgast is like bringing diablo into wow. Sounds sick. Your character gets a bunch of little cool and overpowered abilities as you go through it. Wow this sounds great! You’re forced to do it every week it takes like 3-4 hours and its extremely tedious and feels dull after like one run and you have to do two. Thats how to take something fun and make it god awful. Thats what path to glory and 1k games are when you make new players play it forcing them into it. They just want to play the game and thats the quickest way for them to lose interest.

Whats the most effective way to teach someone the game

Doubles games with experienced players. 1k to each player you put the new player in your corner hopefully you know a little about their army, and you just help them play it giving little ideas. Thats it. They have full agency, the game looks like a full game and they can ask for advice. This is the absolute best way to teach someone the game. You can also do this as a 2v1 with your buddy. We’ve done this multiple times its great fun. 

If you can’t do that run a simple 1k game is great. You can do just warscrolls then full rules then 2k. Don’t make the lists for them unless they ask. Let them choose. Its the difference between ordering a hamburger at a restaurant and making it yourself. If the waiter suggest you the hamburger and you order it and its good, its relatively unremarkable. If you say to a new player “hey run archaon with a chaos lord” and it works they don’t care. But if you make a worse hamburger at home but it looks nice and tastes good you’re as the kids say “pogged out of your gourd” extremely excited about it even though you yourself read morathis warscroll and also noticed she’s strong its still you the new player who made the decision.

The Toxic Folk

This is subjective but this happened to us so I figure I’ll tell the story. Everyone has that guy thats at the game store too much. He doesn’t work there but he’s there for over 40 hours a week. We had this guy. And he liked aos but decided he’d never bother buying an army book. You can imagine how difficult the game was to play against him when he’d netlist deepkin and the only page he had printed out for their rules was “high tide”.  

How do you deal with this guy? Use him! He’s great everyone wants to dislike “That Guy” any time a new player experiences that and then plays a game against you its like night and day. They actually love the game more now that they’re accepted into your “club” of good players. Also note toxicity is subjective don’t go around trying to ban guys because they’re annoying it should be extreme cases these guys get banned. Just chill its ok to have negative influenced on your community. How much fun is it to talk about that “one guy or girl” you work with? Its loads of fun. 

Now you should make rules against this guy. If he’s not using a book make a rule that says “you have to have an army book to play the army”  which is the same reason we have signs on pools that say “if you can’t swim you will drown”. Theres always a guy who makes that obvious rule and sign exist. 

For the record our guy did get banned . But only because he decided to threaten and stalk a man who also frequented the store. But it wasn’t until he did this did we actually push for a ban. I get it it’s the time to cancel people but you should be very cautious banning people. It needs to be something everyone and i mean everyone can hear the story and go “oh yeah makes sense”. If you get a reputation for banning people over a game you might cause your store to die. This has also happened to a store I went to as a kid that was known for banning competitive magic players. They thought playing decks from tournaments wasn’t good for new players.” Once the reputation stuck the store was pretty much empty within 4 months. Turns out empty stores are worse for new players. 

Conclusion

If you have a good time playing the game and people are walking through the store and seeing you have fun they’ll eventually join you. It just takes time to build the snowball. You should let it grow as organically as possible don’t force it to happen. But if you can do this successfully it can be incredibly rewarding. Two big takeaways. Consistency, play on a day every week who cares what day play on that day and time. And have good optics, have fun enjoy the game paint your minis don’t argue. This is not just the same strategy for how to grow a game but for how clubs grow, how streamers grow you name it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

Run leagues where people can play any number of games per round and take the best result forward. It reduces the incentive for competitiveness since a player can make multiple attempts and it encourages extra games rather than show up, play one, wait for next round. An endurance award where a random player(s) who played at least one game every round (and wasn't the overall winner) is good too since it means people can get an award just for playing.

Free-for all or team matches scheduled during a relatively high-traffic period are great for snagging people's attention.

Particularly for people in the US; de-incetivize competitive mindsets as much as possible. Nothing breeds toxicity like a competitive mindset. This can be in how rewards are structured to little things like complimenting people on army theme or looks while giving a shrug to the guy who brags about how many MWs he deals in a turn.

1 hour ago, NinthMusketeer said:

Particularly for people in the US; de-incetivize competitive mindsets as much as possible. Nothing breeds toxicity like a competitive mindset. This can be in how rewards are structured to little things like complimenting people on army theme or looks while giving a shrug to the guy who brags about how many MWs he deals in a turn.

I gotta be honest. Hard disagree.

nothing breeds toxicity like toxic people. Competitive play has nothing to do with it. If you’ve been to age of sigmar tournament there certainly are those toxic guys but its usually filled with lovely people who play a tight game. That’s typically what the top tables are. 

you’re running into a section I ultimately took out of here called “The Fun Police”. It’s ok to hold these events. It’s ok to hold narrative day. It’s ok to have big smash collab games. What’s not ok is someone coming up to you and being extremely excited about a strong combo they found in their book really wanting to run it and the fun police flip on their sirens and say “Why don’t you play something objectively worse be cause its fun. Don’t you want to have fun?”  

i’m not calling you on this but I dealt with this for YEARS. And the real toxicity breed from the fun police because you’d run something even just a little strong or use a little bs rule from your book and they’d get extremely salty saying “This isn’t fun you should be running something bad! Because its fun!”

the fun police are actually why I wrote this article in the first place. They were my biggest adversaries in trying to build my community. We’d have an escalation league “Lets do a big narrative league! It’ll be 16 weeks and we start at 250 points!” Aight cool i warned them everyone drops out after 5 weeks. Narrative thing happens, starts with 16 players, they all ask when they can play 2k games. The runner says 3 months from now. A week later they have 3 players. And then I have to deal with them flipping on their sirens and pulling over everyone they can to tell them they aren’t having fun correctly.

just let people play the game they want to play. I’ve played 50 competitive games in the past 4 weeks and they’ve all been a great time because I’m having a great time and it tends to be infectious. Hell at nashcon Jacob berry won best sport playing morathi gotrek. And I played against him, he almost tabled me and we had a great game and hugged it out after. 

in the end toxic people breed toxicity. Don’t be the fun police. Don’t enforce the law on what people should think is fun this is a surefire way to being the toxic one yourself and falling dangerously in the same category as that same magic store owner who banned competitive decks on the same intentions. If the reputation sticks its a solid way to kill your store.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I think there can be a difference between bringing competitive list and being "competitive".

Some people when playing games become a person that has to win at all cost, for example, playing gotachammer, refusing to go back a bit in the turn because the opposition forgot a thing that is important but don't actually means that any dice/moves has to be redone and complain about bad/good dice instead of living with what the dice gives.

There is a correlation between these people and playing competitive lists since they want to win, but not all people who play competitive list is “competitive” as described above. And I think that it is this “competitiveness” that can be really toxic since it is no fun to play against, especially for new players who don’t know all the rules for different armies and that tends to forget more about their own turns.

In my small play group there tends to be competitive lists, but since we are friends IRL we try not to be the bad competitive players but be goods sports. And if someone want to test out a list that maybe isn’t the most competitiveness we try to match their list.

• Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Belathor said:

little tangent on what I mean by “they don’t care”

So I’m going to explain path to glory from something recent in world of warcraft “thorghast.” Those who don’t play might say “whats that” those who played this expansion just groaned. Thorgast is like bringing diablo into wow. Sounds sick. Your character gets a bunch of little cool and overpowered abilities as you go through it. Wow this sounds great! You’re forced to do it every week it takes like 3-4 hours and its extremely tedious and feels dull after like one run and you have to do two. Thats how to take something fun and make it god awful. Thats what path to glory and 1k games are when you make new players play it forcing them into it. They just want to play the game and thats the quickest way for them to lose interest.

Not sure your comparison is quite right here although I think the message you're conveying has some truth to it.  The basic concept of Torghast in WoW was great on paper, but wasn't really finished, it was then used as the only mechanism of gaining a specific "currency" which every end level character needed to gain specific gear.  Some of the issues were that it provided a different level of challenge for different character types and was highly random - generally a run takes 30~45 minutes but for some characters would take double that time (and less for others).  In short it was a tedious bore.  Torghast has been changed though and now has a score board that tells you how well you did each level (plus reduced the number of levels by 1), this adds some incentive to run it again.  So why am I saying this - quite simply because half of the reason it was boring was because you were doing it on your own, from the instance that a friend and I started doing runs together (you both get full rewards at the end), the enjoyment factor went through the roof and even more so now that there's a score board - you get a bit of competition between you plus that co-op experience.  The key point is turning that by turning the experience into a social one we made the experience significantly more enjoyable.

So, bringing this back to AoS.  Path to Glory is a great system, it's a lovely way of allowing a general to add some real character to their army, layering in loads of flavour and personalisation.  It provides a reason for playing beyond just having a laugh with some friends.  It's also entirely optional - it's been cleverly created so that you can play a non PtG game against an opponent and the outcome will still influence your PtG army!  I completely agree that forcing a group to play Path to Glory isn't the way to engage them, but this is why the system is basically an optional layer you can (or not) use.  Encourage people to do it and you'll increase the variety of games on offer - it won't be everybody's cup of tea, but that's fine.

As an aside, I personally would suggest not to fix games at specific points sizes (or play styles).  If somebody appears at a club and goes "here's my army" and it translates into 450 points worth of models, it simplicity itself to pick 450 points out of a larger existing army and play three of four quick games - there are loads of battle plans that are much more enjoyable at smaller point sizes.  Don't be tempted to borrow models to boost that person's army to 1k because it basically says "your army isn't good enough", equally don't turn the person away or make them face a 1k force.

In fact I'd even go so far as to say, that the best way to learn the rules is playing smaller point sized games, I've seen numerous people appear at a club with a brand new massive 2k army and basically struggle to remember the core rules let alone the plethora of additional rules that comes with that number of units.  Those are the people who are likely to go "nah, not for me" because they get half a game in an afternoon and didn't really enjoy the experience.  As with anything the more you practice the more you learn - you learn more quickly playing 3 small quick games than one long drawn out one.

The TL:DR is that the key is getting people rolling dice and enjoying the experience.  Leagues, tournaments (and competitive matched play), etc should be looked at as "end game" content, they're a goal to aim for - if that's what they want to do.  Building a gaming community is primarily about laying a foundation where people feel comfortable to appear and play games.

Edited by RuneBrush
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Belathor said:

you’re running into a section I ultimately took out of here called “The Fun Police”. It’s ok to hold these events. It’s ok to hold narrative day. It’s ok to have big smash collab games. What’s not ok is someone coming up to you and being extremely excited about a strong combo they found in their book really wanting to run it and the fun police flip on their sirens and say “Why don’t you play something objectively worse be cause its fun. Don’t you want to have fun?”  

Sounds horrid. Completely different than what I expressed on every point, but definitely bad.

15 hours ago, Belathor said:

Conclusion

If you have a good time playing the game and people are walking through the store and seeing you have fun they’ll eventually join you. It just takes time to build the snowball. You should let it grow as organically as possible don’t force it to happen. But if you can do this successfully it can be incredibly rewarding. Two big takeaways. Consistency, play on a day every week who cares what day play on that day and time. And have good optics, have fun enjoy the game paint your minis don’t argue. This is not just the same strategy for how to grow a game but for how clubs grow, how streamers grow you name it.

I’m always having a good time, especially now since I can actually make a doomwheel fly.

(it gives me the chance to deal 3d3 mortal wounds to any unit friend or foe, in the movement/charge phase)

It was hilarious when my opponent wasn’t able to kill my army because they were overrun by a simple lost out of control Doomwheel (rolled a 1 with more more more speed)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Belathor said:

The Toxic Folk

How do you deal with this guy? Use him! He’s great everyone wants to dislike “That Guy”

How much fun is it to talk about that “one guy or girl” you work with? Its loads of fun.

🤦‍♂️

This is horrible.

Fun at the expense of others. What a wonderful community.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

🤦‍♂️

This is horrible.

Fun at the expense of others. What a wonderful community.

Presented like this I agree with you. In general it is terrible to have fun at the expense of others and when its put in a black and white argument it’s easy to say it’s awful.

But this is a large grey area when it hits the reality of the situation. Because this isn’t joe the normal guy, this is the dude who’s there for 40-50 hours a week and doesn’t work there. This isn’t something that just hobby stores have to deal with this archetype is something bars without bouncers deal with, restaurants, stores. A lot of this archetype of guy shows up. Not that this is necessary to the argument here but in general these are the guys that pseudo harass female workers. As in they never stop talking to them keeping them from doing their jobs. They tend to be socially awkward and find a captive audience is the easiest to get to listen. Coming with them being socially awkward they can’t tell when people don’t want to talk to them and don’t have boundaries. I’ll explain more later. And this is more anecdotal and if this were court this part would get thrown out, they tend to be the guys that wind up with restraining orders for various reasons.

Every hobby shop I’ve been to has this guy. Now the question becomes what do you do? 
(For context here midway through the journey of building this community I took a job to build the community of games at my flgs and I had to deal with these problems because it wasn’t just him, we had three of these guys.)

1. you can ignore them.

2. you can ban them.

3. you can Include them under strict regulation. Aka Fun at expense of others.

1. ignoring them.

This was my initial response.  I thought this would work just fine they’re going to do their thing and a full store is better than an empty store and they could socialize and hopefully overtime social pressure would make them better and make them more or less “normal” hard to define but you know what I mean. I was very wrong. Every day my discord, text messages and people walking up to me complaining about these guys. “They stink, they don’t leave me alone, they’re touching my stuff.” The less agreeable customers start yelling at them and causing conflict. Which i’ve explained why arguing is bad specifically for growing a community. Your female workers start quitting because its no longer a safe work environment when they have effectively a stalker right there in the store before and after their shift. This is where the inclusivity argument leads in reality. 

2. We ban them.

Its such a tempting lever to pull. But I always thought back to that shop owner. Banning competitive decks started with bad offenders like this “guy” but once that cork is unplugged it becomes easier to ban those who aren’t as problematic. This is a common human nature thing and I didn’t want to open that pandora’s box.

3. Strict regulation.

You make rules written for them because they’re realistically the only reason we need basic rules because they’re the ones breaking the unspoken ones. One of two things happen. They shape up and join society and integrate well which One of these “Guys” did. Once he actually got included in a group over a year we saw the dramatic change as he became like those around them. Or they don’t, like the one from my story, and eventually they leave or if they’re mentally unstable like he was stalk a guy who worked at a store for dating a girl that he was interested in and Threatened to kill him. Which because most of these guys are unstable is a good reason to pull the ban lever early but then you’d never have jake who went from truly awful to a cool guy to be around.

if you have another solution I just didn’t see i’d be happy to hear it. I wish I could’ve given you a short response but this is such a grey area it’s hard to wrap it up in 3 sentences. I wish it were that easy. And I know I framed my decision as the only right one but thats because its what I was faced with and it seemed to be the only right decision. If you have experience with this I’d be happy to hear more of it as I deal with it in my current job too.

• Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Belathor said:

Presented like this I agree with you. In general it is terrible to have fun at the expense of others and when its put in a black and white argument it’s easy to say it’s awful.

But this is a large grey area when it hits the reality of the situation. Because this isn’t joe the normal guy, this is the dude who’s there for 40-50 hours a week and doesn’t work there...

I don't think there's any context where deriving enjoyment from scapegoating someone (which making fun/gossiping/"using" "That Guy" is scapegoating) is appropriate.  You have an exemplary write-up on growing a scene for a local club, but the "Toxicity" section is rather problematic.  Especially this bit:

On 10/3/2021 at 12:41 PM, Belathor said:

How do you deal with this guy? Use him! He’s great everyone wants to dislike “That Guy” any time a new player experiences that and then plays a game against you its like night and day. They actually love the game more now that they’re accepted into your “club” of good players... How much fun is it to talk about that “one guy or girl” you work with? Its loads of fun. 

That is not a healthy environment.  I speak from experience of reviving my university's DnD club, where "Those Guys" abound in large numbers, especially since it was focused on 3.5e.  Having "good tables" and forcing new players to the "bad tables" simply because nobody else wants to play with these folks stratifies what should be an open-to-all environment.   Often if a new player gets a bad taste early into their tabletop hobby it lingers and they bounce soon after.  As you note, regulate them in a low-tolerance environment --- they'll find better pastures or, in some cases, shape up to where people enjoy playing with them.

It should also be noted that "Those Guys" are often "Those Guys" from reasons other than stubbornness, there's often a reason they hang out in a store for dozens of hours a week.  Weaponizing them, like in your example, seems in very poor taste.  It's certainly worth a discussion, because poor behavior is often a large reason small scenes immolate, but perhaps in a kinder tone.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 3:32 AM, Belathor said:

I gotta be honest. Hard disagree.

nothing breeds toxicity like toxic people. Competitive play has nothing to do with it. If you’ve been to age of sigmar tournament there certainly are those toxic guys but its usually filled with lovely people who play a tight game. That’s typically what the top tables are. 

i’m not calling you on this but I dealt with this for YEARS. And the real toxicity breed from the fun police because you’d run something even just a little strong or use a little bs rule from your book and they’d get extremely salty saying “This isn’t fun you should be running something bad! Because its fun!”

the fun police are actually why I wrote this article in the first place. They were my biggest adversaries in trying to build my community. We’d have an escalation league “Lets do a big narrative league! It’ll be 16 weeks and we start at 250 points!” Aight cool i warned them everyone drops out after 5 weeks. Narrative thing happens, starts with 16 players, they all ask when they can play 2k games. The runner says 3 months from now. A week later they have 3 players. And then I have to deal with them flipping on their sirens and pulling over everyone they can to tell them they aren’t having fun correctly.

just let people play the game they want to play. I’ve played 50 competitive games in the past 4 weeks and they’ve all been a great time because I’m having a great time and it tends to be infectious. Hell at nashcon Jacob berry won best sport playing morathi gotrek. And I played against him, he almost tabled me and we had a great game and hugged it out after. 

in the end toxic people breed toxicity. Don’t be the fun police. Don’t enforce the law on what people should think is fun this is a surefire way to being the toxic one yourself and falling dangerously in the same category as that same magic store owner who banned competitive decks on the same intentions. If the reputation sticks its a solid way to kill your store.

First, i agree with the fun police part 100%.

I do want to make a comment on competitive play. It can be horrible/toxic for introducing new people into games. I used to be good at MtG and also started a group with 2 friends that ended up with 20+ players. And unless they ask for it i would never pick a tournament deck vs a new guy. The same reason u dont put someone who trained karate for a week vs the mma world champion. They will get destroyed and it will chase away new players. It is just a whole other game some people are playing. This seems logical but i have seen it go wrong many times when people just assume you are on the same level. Not everyone is in this hobby to be the best general they can be, they might be more into painting or collecting. Kindness and patience goes a long way for recruiting new players.

Edit: I also dont want to refer to "Those Guys" as "Those Guys", they have their own reason for comming to a store and i guess they also have fun in their own way. If u get banned u are just a ****** and u probably had it comming. And highly competitive players should just play their lists against other competitive lists imo, their is no reason to try a competitive list vs a newbie in any way.

Edited by Iksdee
  • Like 1

How ironic that TO tries to tell people how to identify and deal with toxic people while writing a DIY „how to build a community following my design“ 

Summary: 

- Dont be socially awkward

- Let people do what they actually enjoy

- profit

Edited by Phasteon