The 3rd Edition Positivity Thread!

• 3 weeks later...

So I was thinking the other day about how GW handled Thunderstike SCE vs Primaris Space Marines. I feel like they did with SCE what they should have done with Primaris; the new models have new armor and equipment but the people inside are the same. And on the flipside they made it quite explicit in the battletome how now every SCE can even use Thunderstrike and it isn't an unlimited supply, so the older units are still very much utilized for Stormhosts that have them while there are also new hosts with just Thunderstrike armour. It's a perfect way to add in a new look while keeping everything valid and letting people customize how they like.

Big thumbs up from me on that one!

• Like 1

I know it's kind of a touchy subject but I actually really like the new command point system and the generic command abilities. I enjoy having some resource management that I spend for different things in different armies, but having those generic boosters that just help everyone. I think it's a nice middle ground from the old style, and the 40k system where you have multiple whole pages of possibly-useful stratagems that are often so specific that it's hard to remember them.

The monster endemic to the system, save stacking, is certainly a problem in some cases, but the limit on the +1 bonus to the roll makes it only really a problem with a handful of models, and I feel like most of those can be fixed on a case by case basis. Overall I just like the new command point system, and I think as more books roll out it'll be even better.

• Like 3

I like it too. The downside to me is not save stacking but the loss of unique command abilities from battletomes--yeah some were bland but getting rid of ALL of them? Fortunately Maggotkin took a step in the opposite direction with a really cool one on Glottkin.

I agree that save stacking is not a problem with the system but with the specific units involved. I quite enjoy the dynamic overall and how it keeps no-rend attacks relevant.

On 11/16/2021 at 8:58 AM, amysrevenge said:

I've finished all (!) my squigs, and have managed to keep that enthusiasm going for night goblins.  30-ish finished, 90-ish to go!  Then on to topping up the spiders.

I *still* haven't played an actual game since before COVID, but I'm plowing through those goblins.  Got about 40 to go!

On 1/6/2022 at 3:26 PM, NinthMusketeer said:

So I was thinking the other day about how GW handled Thunderstike SCE vs Primaris Space Marines. I feel like they did with SCE what they should have done with Primaris; the new models have new armor and equipment but the people inside are the same. And on the flipside they made it quite explicit in the battletome how now every SCE can even use Thunderstrike and it isn't an unlimited supply, so the older units are still very much utilized for Stormhosts that have them while there are also new hosts with just Thunderstrike armour. It's a perfect way to add in a new look while keeping everything valid and letting people customize how they like.

Big thumbs up from me on that one!

I honestly would've preferred them just not acknowledging the change narratively, for both cases. Primaris exist as a narrative concept pretty much exclusively to avoid any blowback from replacing the old marines that people already owned, which is insane to me but I guess people actually do get upset when they release updated models? Maybe people would've been upset at needing to rebase their marines?

I view thunderstrike in the same vein, I would've much preferred them marketed as just updated liberators/judicators (maybe with a different weapon profile), and it probably would've been good for the SCE battletome to have a couple less warscrolls. Maybe that would've sold less boxes though.

11 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

I honestly would've preferred them just not acknowledging the change narratively, for both cases. Primaris exist as a narrative concept pretty much exclusively to avoid any blowback from replacing the old marines that people already owned, which is insane to me but I guess people actually do get upset when they release updated models? Maybe people would've been upset at needing to rebase their marines?

I view thunderstrike in the same vein, I would've much preferred them marketed as just updated liberators/judicators (maybe with a different weapon profile), and it probably would've been good for the SCE battletome to have a couple less warscrolls. Maybe that would've sold less boxes though.

Liberators in Stormstrike armour would look sick though! I might start a conversion 😍

Ehh... they aren't just updated versions of old units though. Vindictors to Liberators somewhat but that still leaves out dual wielding and grand weapons. Vanquishers are different from Liberators, Vigilors are different from Hubters, Annihilators are wholly different from other Paladins. While the SCE has a broad roster I do like how these units landed in unique niches and I feel the army is in a better place for that.

Where I think it better applies is character options. SCE already have far too many; the Knight-Relictor would have made for a great Lord-Relictor individual release and the Knight-Arcanum a great Lord-Arcanum. Lord level characters in general could have been given the Thunderstrike keyword for free, representing refinements to their armour even if not a full set of new gear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Recent metawatch article reminded me of how much I really like the new Maggotkin tome. While my list of complains may outnumber the compliments my complains are a bunch of little things, while the core mechanics are just really well designed. I love how slow the army is again, offset by how tanky they are when they get there. The disease mechanic is a fantastic way to mechanically represent Nurgle's thematic elements. They FEEL like a slow attrition army, and I just love that match between narrative and playstyle.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Two new tomes, haven't gotten to try them yet but there is a lot I like. Obviously what both armies need is new models (and rebox price cuts for fyreslayers) but given what the rule designers had to work with I think they did a great job. Especially for Fyreslayers--three unit options then a bunch of single support heroes and the design manages to make it such that those three units are well rounded while the support heroes don't step on each other's toes. Adding a (well) rebalanced version of the Hermdar command ability as generic was a great move and helps sell the generally slow army as aggressive. Idoneth their general level of gimmick toned back by just the right amount imo--they are still shifty and finesse but it's more a style of a couple big gimmicks with supporting tricks instead of tons of crazy stuff.

Maybe it's just me but the fluff seemed to dial back the 'propoganda' factor and describe both factions in terms of strengths and weaknesses. Something that has long bothered me about army books is just how much they hype up their own faction, making them seem nigh-undefeatible. I get that the army absolutely should be hyped in it's own book but the degree for many is so extreme in my eyes that it obscures the nuance of the faction. These two battletomes seem to have a much better balance of describing strengths verses weaknesses, particularly about not overhyping the strengths so much. I really like it. Though obviously very subjective, so would be interested to see what others think.

The fluff is also written with a rather high quality, the descriptions are concise but detailed and don't waste time overdescribing certain details at the expense of others. It leaves a lot of room for lots of extra little bits to be loaded in, great for fleshing out who these factions are beyond just the battlefield. As someone whose hobby enjoyment hinges on theme and narrative that is a big deal to me.

But that's enough from me, what did you guys like?

• Like 2

Is there much for the narmarti with Idoneth? Every box set seems to have them present, but the word on the street is battleline eels. I won't ever collect them but they're such a beautiful army, and an interesting take on Sea Elves!

As for me, I'm enjoying 3rd edition even if I've only had a few games and most of my stuff is currently in storage from a move, but I'm building my way through the 'new year new army' of SBGL - Picked up the holiday box and a SC! with options on a second SC for more grave guard. I'm enjoying their fluff and that while Nagash is The Big Boss for Death, he's taken a bit of a backseat here.

The balance has definitely shifted, eels cost a lot more points then they used to and while namarti do cost more they also have had stat buffs and a very potent support hero in the Thrallmaster. The shipwreck also offers them a 5+ ward now. Going with JUST namarti+heroes would be difficult but running them as the bulk or main theme is certainly viable.

Edited by NinthMusketeer

Well hot dam that new balance warscroll shows GW bending their creativity towards matched play. Won't make a difference in a lot of games but I think it will really improve the game at more competitive events/communities. Happy to see it, excited to see if it works. Good on GW for trying something out of the box.

• Like 5

My Warlock bombardier overcharged his warplightning and took d3+ d6 mortal wounds dying and denying the hidden plan of my frenemy.

he wanted to achieve the kill-slay tactic in the 5th battle-plan yet couldn't and that was the only remaining one he could have taken.

Best thing that ever happened to me at a tournament.

thankfully he was a great player to play against and laughed with me after revealing his failed plan

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, NinthMusketeer said:

Well hot dam that new balance warscroll shows GW bending their creativity towards matched play. Won't make a difference in a lot of games but I think it will really improve the game at more competitive events/communities. Happy to see it, excited to see if it works. Good on GW for trying something out of the box.

Yeah, this will make tight close games that much more on the edge.  Love that the Bonesplitterz and Gitz are Hunters!  The Megagargants being worth extra points beyond just killing monsters is pretty good balancing acts I think.  Also amusing is that Fulminators are on the list but the other Dracoths aren't 😛

Just hopping in to say that 3rd edition is still proving to be an absolute blast. Had my first tie the other day (ok, I lost to the tie breaker of battle tactics) and it was just such an amazing game. A lot of positioning and trying to plan out battle tactics and make the critical play. A lot of our armies left alive at the end of the game because we were able to focus on objectives and tactics and it was awesome. 

I'm kind of excited about the new balance warscroll because it is a laser focused in on competitive matched play. It's more complication, but isn't great, but is a way to impact competitive scene and games while still leaving more casual settings alone (where points or warscroll changes would impact those games). Let the tournament players have their balance and the PtG players don't have to change their lists or rosters. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Yeah, this will make tight close games that much more on the edge.  Love that the Bonesplitterz and Gitz are Hunters!  The Megagargants being worth extra points beyond just killing monsters is pretty good balancing acts I think.  Also amusing is that Fulminators are on the list but the other Dracoths aren't 😛

They are on point with that; fulminators are a problem while the others are not.

3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

My Warlock bombardier overcharged his warplightning and took d3+ d6 mortal wounds dying and denying the hidden plan of my frenemy.

he wanted to achieve the kill-slay tactic in the 5th battle-plan yet couldn't and that was the only remaining one he could have taken.

Best thing that ever happened to me at a tournament.

thankfully he was a great player to play against and laughed with me after revealing his failed plan

Thats fantastic XD winning as a result of blowing yourself up is the second most Skryre way to win a battle!

Edited by NinthMusketeer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NinthMusketeer said:

Thats fantastic XD winning as a result of blowing yourself up is the second most Skryre way to win a battle!

I didn’t win that game, lost do to bad luck, and my opponent being able to make 40, 3+ saves in a row (his giant had 3 wounds left, and I only needed 2 to go through).

But that was still a blast 

• Haha 2

It's funny how slow this thread moves compared to the rant-fest threads.  Or sad,...

Working on Synessa (or dexessa? I don't recall which name the model I built is).  I don't like the flowing cap sculpting but man,.. this model is impressive.  Also the staff is perma broken, ah well all GW models seem prone to this these days.

Another positivity: it appears universally people feel AoS model range is just better than 40k. 

• Like 1