Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

11 hours ago, Marcvs said:

this time they sprinkled the pity points of the extra Battle Tactic. So the heroic priests of Sigmar's chosen are now costed like a random human wizard but our win-rate will probably improve slightly and the rules team will pat themselves on the back for the great job.

I doubt it will change anything...and Libs still costing way more then Chaos Warriors is awkward

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, PJetski said:

Ionus not having KNIGHT or LORD so he can't use the Prayers of the Stormhost... classic Games Workshop

I assume 4th ed is getting rid of KNIGHT, LORD, and THUNDERSTRIKE from Stormcast warscrolls

@PJetski do you think that's to prevent him from Translocating?

I noticed the wording on the prayer ranges... Seems like a huge oversight when the Prayers themselves only need Stormcast and Priest keywords, which he has ffs. there's even a mention that unique units ARE included.

https://wahapedia.ru/aos3/factions/stormcast-eternals/#Prayer-Scriptures

Edited by CommissarRotke

39 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

@PJetski do you think that's to prevent him from Translocating?

I noticed the wording on the prayer ranges... Seems like a huge oversight when the Prayers themselves only need Stormcast and Priest keywords, which he has ffs. there's even a mention that unique units ARE included.

https://wahapedia.ru/aos3/factions/stormcast-eternals/#Prayer-Scriptures

Yes RAW he cannot resolve the effect of prayers that require KNIGHT or LORD to figure out the range. Without a range, you cannot pick a unit within range.

According to Goonhammer, they forgot to specify that unique units can take the spell or prayers. However, the only priests and wizards you can actually take in the army of renown are Ionus and Krondys, so it's pretty safe to say it's an accidental omission and will be addressed as soon as they notice. Ionus still can't take Curse though which makes me a sad panda :(

Edited by Dogmantra
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wayniac said:

So are modern Stormcast lists really still mainly made up of 1.0 stuff?  Most of what I've seen basically completely ignore the new stuff (maybe excepting Stormdrake Guard) and seem to be playing like early 1.0?

Plenty of 3.0 stuff sees a lot of play. Out of the top of my head, and I am surely missing something: Annihilators + Lord Imperatant, Soulsworn Questors, Stormstrike Chariots, Knight Relictor, Karazai + Praetors.

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 1

Last games im playing a lot of 15 vindictors +gardus.  Sure not top meta. But still very fun to play and aint bad.

But dracoths  ( tempestors, fulminators) do so much damage compared to most units that top tournament lists dont look further.

Also were having trouble with the battletactics atm.

19 hours ago, Juicy said:

Also were having trouble with the battletactics atm.

That's why I am loving playing Astral Templars with 3*5 Hunters as battlelines and high drops. With the three movement-based battle tactics (2 generic + the new SCE one) easily achievable and Magical Dominance doable by counter-deploying (unless Seraphon...), I generally have 4 tactics in the bag and I just need an opening for the 5th (Draconith Destruction if available, for which I am bringing the usual suspects 4 Tempestors). Mind you, I am not saying it's good, but at least it covers the battle tactics side

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Marcvs said:

That's why I am loving playing Astral Templars with 3*5 Hunters as battlelines and high drops. With the three movement-based battle tactics (2 generic + the new SCE one) easily achievable and Magical Dominance doable by counter-deploying (unless Seraphon...), I generally have 4 tactics in the bag and I just need an opening for the 5th (Draconith Destruction if available, for which I am bringing the usual suspects 4 Tempestors). Mind you, I am not saying it's good, but at least it covers the battle tactics side

I love this. 

Vanguard Hunters & The Farstriders seem like really high value units for their cost. The ability to teleport for battle tactics is super duper useful and has only got better with the later GHBs I think. Same with the LA on Gryph Charger who I always loved, but he gets so much value from that teleport - stay out of unbind range turn one for a magical dominance, give him the luckstone and you have a guaranteed hero charge for led into the maelstrom. I played an event at the weekend where the only teleportation I had was Translocation and it felt like playing with a hand tied behind my back.

In other news, the FAQ drop today fixes the little bug with the army of renown by adding the "including unique units" disclaimer to the prayer scripture and spell lore.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bonzai said:

Hey guys. I am looking to expand my Stormcast a bit, and had a question.. is the Celestant Prime's Retribution from on high ability still cumulative? So if I drop him in on turn 3, he would have +4 attacks or just 2?

Yes, so  +4 attacks  in turn 3 :)

Having run him a fair bit, I think it's rare that you want to keep the celestant prime in the sky til turn 3. 7 attacks is really enticing but it can be a trap - I think he's best suited to using the d3 mw bomb as much as possible and if that means only 3 attacks and going after weedy support heroes then so be it

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies! Up ontil now I have been running a Sancrosanct list. Now I am trying to do something a little more competitive. This is the list that I was thinking about running.

- Army Faction: Stormcast Eternals
     - Army Type: Scions of the Storm
     - Subfaction: Knights Excelsior
     - Grand Strategy: No Place for the Weak
LEADERS
Celestant-Prime (330)*
Lord-Imperatant (140)*
     - General
     - Command Traits: Master of Magic
     - Artefacts of Power: Arcane Tome
Lord-Relictor (130)*
     - Prayers: Translocation
BATTLELINE
Annihilators (300)*
Annihilators (300)*
Annihilators (300)*
Vindictors (110)*
OTHER
Stormstrike Chariot (150)
     - Great Stormbow and Stormstrike Axe
Stormstrike Chariot (150)*
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
1 x Everblaze Comet (90)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment
TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000

I wanted to maximize my deep strike ability. Vindictors hold a backfield objective and provide look out sir to the two Lords. Chariots provide some mobile options, and the rest are deep strike bombs. 

What do you guys think?

7 hours ago, bonzai said:

Thanks for the replies! Up ontil now I have been running a Sancrosanct list. Now I am trying to do something a little more competitive. This is the list that I was thinking about running.

- Army Faction: Stormcast Eternals
     - Army Type: Scions of the Storm
     - Subfaction: Knights Excelsior
     - Grand Strategy: No Place for the Weak
LEADERS
Celestant-Prime (330)*
Lord-Imperatant (140)*
     - General
     - Command Traits: Master of Magic
     - Artefacts of Power: Arcane Tome
Lord-Relictor (130)*
     - Prayers: Translocation
BATTLELINE
Annihilators (300)*
Annihilators (300)*
Annihilators (300)*
Vindictors (110)*
OTHER
Stormstrike Chariot (150)
Stormstrike Chariot (150)*
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
1 x Everblaze Comet (90)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment
TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000

I wanted to maximize my deep strike ability. Vindictors hold a backfield objective and provide look out sir to the two Lords. Chariots provide some mobile options, and the rest are deep strike bombs. 

What do you guys think?

Some advice,

Celestant prime atm isnt really worth it in most cases. 
Get spears instead of bows on the chariots
Comet is nice for battle tactic but u can also do lightning blast and cast it in a corner outside of dispel range for free battletactic.
U could use hunters for easy battletactics.
Annihilators with grand hammers are stronger than shields.
Lord relictor can really use high priest to be super reliable. 
spellcast savant is our best grand strat atm

• 3 weeks later...

not only was Ionus missing "Thunderstrike" keyword but the new Neave warband did too lol.... https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/BMuJ6HfQcjjbbiFG.pdf

they did give Ionus "Lord" as well @PJetski so we finally have an official apology for that too.

Krondys and Karazai got the same attack reduction skill. also didn't see that ALL the lord-arcanum types got "Cycle of the Storm", so now you dont need the gryph charger version :)

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/e2PDdoMFQ70O8VGJ.pdf

• 1 month later...

That is a pretty amazing SCE list I've seen a few times on other forums, but never in the wild.  That guy's in my local League...he KO'd me big time at a recent tournament.  Glad he's changing it up :D

This is one example of why I think AOS would benefit from a Rule of 3 like 40k has.  No more than 3 of the same unit per army.  It would cut back on stuff like this, shark spam, etc.

Only thing I could think of to counter it would be BOC and maybe Skaven, completely null-deploying...though SCE doesn't have to drop turn 1, but Skaven at least do have to come in turn 1.  BOC might be able to not come in though.  Maggotkin could probably take it on, and outflank with Gutrot Spume and 3 units of Blightkings.  Maybe Ogor Stonehorns screened by Gnoblars?  Man, I'm gonna have to practice vs this, I know it'll show up at the Adepticon 3K, and with even MORE Annhilators, etc.

Edited by Lord Krungharr
  • Like 1