Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

1 hour ago, Hannibal said:

So you´re all headeing for that one sorcerer to be able to deny some spells? Or do you use him offensively, too?

Mainly for a denial and incantor for his auto-denial. We're so bad at magic though that I don't really guarantee we'll get any spells off. If we do, great. Tbh, I wish GW doubled down on our prayer system and priests. We have to be one of the most religious sects in the setting. That would've been cool. 

Edited by lare2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hannibal said:

So you´re all headeing for that one sorcerer to be able to deny some spells? Or do you use him offensively, too?

The deny is a big reason to pick them, but there are others too. They're the cheapest wizard in faction. Their warscroll spell is unreliable needing a 7 to cast but it is decent if you manage to cast it. The once a game automatic unbind is incredibly useful because most armies will have at least some magic, so it's unlikely to do nothing for you at all, even if it just denies a mystic shield on a key turn. The points cost is pretty big because one thing Stormcast struggle with is having bodies on the table, since you pay so much for each individual model, you really want to save as much as you can.

That's not to say other wizards in faction are useless, they're just usually situational, and importantly, until you go up to spending 600 points on Krondys, the more expensive wizards aren't really better at being wizards, they just have other stuff going on too. If you just want a wizard, the knight incantor is not only the cheapest but also one of the absolute best with the auto unbind.

• Like 3

Got a tournament coming up this weekend. Im only the backup in case anyone drops out at this stage, but anyway heres

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar (Scions of the Storm)
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: No Place for the Weak
- Triumphs: bloodthirsty

Leaders
Knight-Draconis (300)
- General
- Command Trait: Master of the Celestial Menagerie  
- Artefact: Hammer of Might  
- Mount Trait: Celestial Instincts
Krondys, Son of Dracothion (600)
- Spell: Chain Lightning

Battleline
2 x Dracothian Guard Fulminators (230)*
2 x Stormdrake Guard (340)*
- Drakerider's Lance
2 x Stormdrake Guard (340)*
- Drakerider's Warblade

Units
1 x Stormdrake Guard - Single (170)

Core Battalions
*Bounty Hunters

Additional Enhancements
Holy Command: Steadfast March

Total: 1980 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 86
Drops: 6

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Brother Mayhem said:

Hi all, regarding Bastian's the Thunderborn ability, if I target say a unit of 30 models with a wounds characteristic of 1, do I roll 1 die for the mortal wounds or 30?

You would only roll one.

His ability is mean to work better on a single models with lots of wounds, not on groups of models.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So here’s an interesting one. I’ve got a tournament this weekend and I’m looking at the round 1 matchup and trying to imagine how it might go.

the battleplan is The Prize Of Gallet
my opponent is running the following Fyreslayers list
Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Lofnir
- Grand Strategy: Guarded Lineage
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty
Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (360)*
- General
- Command Trait: Blood of the Berzerker  
- Artefact: Draught of Magmalt Ale  
- Magmadroth Trait: Flame-scale Youngblood
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (360)
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (320)*
- Ancestral War-axe
- Magmadroth Trait: Lava-tongue Adult
- Ancestral War-axe
- Ancestral War-axe
- Wyrmslayer Javelins
Battleline
Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 96
Drops: 2

im very interested in seeing how this goes as this is the type of list I’ve always wanted to do with Fyreslayers.

the list I’m running
- Stormhost: Tempest Lords (Scions of the Storm)
- Grand Strategy: Draconith Defiance
- Triumphs: 
Leaders
Karazai, The Scarred (550)
- General
Krondys, Son of Dracothion (550)
Knight-Relictor (120)*
- Artefact: Fang of Dracothion  
- Universal Prayer Scripture: Heal
Battleline
2 x Stormdrake Guard (340)
- Drakerider's Lance
5 x Vanquishers (110)*
5 x Vindictors (130)*
Units
1 x Stormstrike Chariot (165)*
Endless Spells & Invocations
The Burning Head (20)
Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
Total: 1985 / 2000
Wounds: 92
Drops: 4

im curious to know what people think about this game is going to go?

I'm not super experienced seeing fyreslayers on the table so I can't really say but I love both of those lists. Proper big monster punch up. My instinct is that you have a slight range advantage with 18" on your big dragon shooting, so if you can take one magmadroth out early that will give you a nice advantage. I think using Atavistic Tempest (Krondys's spell) well will be pretty big here too, since their army is so elite being able to take their rend down a point and then save stack will be useful.

I noticed you don't have a holy command listed - if your TO is really strict they might not let you update it, but worth adding one just in case. Personally I'd probably go run & charge just to get a bit more manouevrability with your chariot. None of the commands are that amazing but it's still nice to have, and being able to get a full round of shooting off with some decent rolls into a nice chariot charge for the impact hits could be enough to take out a magmadroth pretty much risk-free.

4 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

So here’s an interesting one. I’ve got a tournament this weekend and I’m looking at the round 1 matchup and trying to imagine how it might go.

the battleplan is The Prize Of Gallet
my opponent is running the following Fyreslayers list
Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Lofnir
- Grand Strategy: Guarded Lineage
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty
Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (360)*
- General
- Command Trait: Blood of the Berzerker  
- Artefact: Draught of Magmalt Ale  
- Magmadroth Trait: Flame-scale Youngblood
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (360)
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
- Ancestral War-axe
- Magmadroth Trait: Lava-tongue Adult
- Ancestral War-axe
- Ancestral War-axe
- Wyrmslayer Javelins
Battleline
Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 96
Drops: 2

im very interested in seeing how this goes as this is the type of list I’ve always wanted to do with Fyreslayers.

the list I’m running
- Stormhost: Tempest Lords (Scions of the Storm)
- Grand Strategy: Draconith Defiance
- Triumphs: 
Leaders
Karazai, The Scarred (550)
- General
Krondys, Son of Dracothion (550)
Knight-Relictor (120)*
- Artefact: Fang of Dracothion  
- Universal Prayer Scripture: Heal
Battleline
2 x Stormdrake Guard (340)
- Drakerider's Lance
5 x Vanquishers (110)*
5 x Vindictors (130)*
Units
1 x Stormstrike Chariot (165)*
The Burning Head (20)
Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
Total: 1985 / 2000
Wounds: 92
Drops: 4

im curious to know what people think about this game is going to go?

from experience, the main obstacle to overcome and to consider in your pre-game thinking is the mortal wounds output from volcanic blood. Since most of your damage comes from melee attacks, you can count around 9MW suffered for every magmadroth that you take down in combat. So of course, softening up a magma with shooting and then going in for the kill might reduce the damage you take back.

Other than that, magmadroths hit sufficiently hard, particularly so the Father with double activation, and are faster than your usual Fyresalyers experience, especially in combination with the movement rune.

Unfortunately, being outdropped is very impactful on Prize of Gallet, but there isnt' much to do about it. The slight advantage is that going second is so very good in turn 2, that your opponent will have an important incentive not to double turn you even if (s)he has the chance. Oh and these redeemers will be useful to cap the objective in the first turn without overxposing your important stuff (hope you took Call for Aid as holy order :D ).

How I think this is going to go: opponent's going to give you first turn then, assuming you don't overcommit immediately, bring the magmadroths towards the centre (as all objectives are very close anyway), kill the thing you used to cap the first activated objective and then see what happens with priority, keeping the fighty runefather screened for the counter charge. From there it will depend on initative, rolls, and decisions ofc.

• Like 1

My ‘gameplan’ that has done well for me so far, is the 3 dragons deploy in the sky and everything else starts on the board (depending upon opponent, I sometimes put Krondys on the board so I get use out of him being a Wizard asap).

Depending on circumstances, turn 1 I will usually drop the dragons, forming a ‘Bermuda Triangle’ around whatever I feel needs to die. Tempest Lords allowing me to reroll a single dice from the charge rolls does a LOT of the heavy lifting for this strategy. I think I’ll be aiming to take out his general asap, but I also probably want to avoid fighting too many of the Magmadroths at once, especially with Volcanic Blood.

I call it the ‘Bermuda Triangle’ strategy because so far everything within the triangle has disappeared 😂

2 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

I'm not super experienced seeing fyreslayers on the table so I can't really say but I love both of those lists. Proper big monster punch up. My instinct is that you have a slight range advantage with 18" on your big dragon shooting, so if you can take one magmadroth out early that will give you a nice advantage. I think using Atavistic Tempest (Krondys's spell) well will be pretty big here too, since their army is so elite being able to take their rend down a point and then save stack will be useful.

I noticed you don't have a holy command listed - if your TO is really strict they might not let you update it, but worth adding one just in case. Personally I'd probably go run & charge just to get a bit more manouevrability with your chariot. None of the commands are that amazing but it's still nice to have, and being able to get a full round of shooting off with some decent rolls into a nice chariot charge for the impact hits could be enough to take out a magmadroth pretty much risk-free.

I initially submitted my list via the AoS app, which for some reason doesn’t display Holy Commands on the exported list. I took Steadfast March, although as it turns out I misread how it works so it won’t help me in the way I thought it would anyway (I missed that it was a) a command ability, and b) happens in the movement phase. My intention when I chose it was to be able to make the Stormdrakes auto run 6 and then still charge.. )

Hello guys! I've also got a tournament coming up next weekend and I need some advice!

Here's my list:

Spoiler

- Stormhost: Knights Excelsior (Scions of the Storm)
- Grand Strategy: Defend What's Ours
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (155)***
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Spell: Thundershock
Lord-Relictor (145)***
- Prayer: Translocation
Lord-Imperatant (175)***
- Artefact: Mirrorshield

Battleline
3 x Annihilators with Meteoric Grandhammers (240)*
3 x Annihilators with Meteoric Grandhammers (240)*
5 x Liberators (115)**
- Heavens-wrought Weapon and Shield
- 1x Grandweapons
10 x Protectors (450)**
- 4x Starsoul Maces
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Judicators with Boltstorm Crossbows (190)**

Units
2 x Dracothian Guard Fulminators (230)*

Horrorghast (40)

Core Battalions
*Bounty Hunters
**Expert Conquerors
***Command Entourage - Magnificent

Additional Enhancements
Holy Command: Unleash Thy Hatred
Artefact

Total: 1980 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 101
Drops: 9

I'm a bit worried about facing Tzeentch with a bunch of heroes + six (or more) Skyfires. Getting to the heroes might be tough. Any idea how to approach that matchup? 

Another matchup I worry about would be Morathi + Bowsnakes. Even if I manage to drop the Annihilators into the Snakes, they'll just overwatch them to death or teleport out of the fight or fall back and rally on a 4+. Should I just try to ignore the Snakes and go for the objectives?

I know my list probably isn't the maximum in competitiveness but those are the models I have and I really want to play Knights Excelsior with an elite force since almost all of my other armies are hordes!

On 8/27/2022 at 12:42 PM, Hannibal said:

Hi all,

which Sorcerers from the SCE range do you regularly use?

Thanks in advance!

-Knight Incantor for the auto dispell. The autodispell is huuuuge. Being a Knight, he'll only have 12" range, which is a bit meh for the spells that are in the SCE book.The spells are quite cool, actually, but in my lists he'll take mostly a buff spell (Azyrite Halo, Celestial Blades). His warscroll spell is okeyish at most.
-Lord Arcanum. Benefits from 18" range, which is much better, and his spell is cool. -1 to hit is always good to have.
-Arcane tome. On a Stardrake or a Lord Arcanum (for 2 casts per turn)/Imperatant.

On 11/10/2022 at 2:11 AM, Causalis said:

Hello guys! I've also got a tournament coming up next weekend and I need some advice!

Here's my list:

I'm a bit worried about facing Tzeentch with a bunch of heroes + six (or more) Skyfires. Getting to the heroes might be tough. Any idea how to approach that matchup? 

Another matchup I worry about would be Morathi + Bowsnakes. Even if I manage to drop the Annihilators into the Snakes, they'll just overwatch them to death or teleport out of the fight or fall back and rally on a 4+. Should I just try to ignore the Snakes and go for the objectives?

I like the list!
The 10 man Protectors is a bit too much for me, and I'd drop the starsoul maces on them, but in Knight Excelsior you can clean the screens quite effectively. You kill 1 pink horror, and we're speaking of 51A at 2+/2+/-2/1 here... The KE ability and AoA will allow you to deny the locus of Change. On an objective, you are sitting with 2+ armor save, 3w each, each model counts as 3, pretty solid.
You could consider dropping in the 10 man Protector T1, keep one Annihilators for T2 and one T3. 

If the scenario is one that prevents you to set up, you're kinda screwed though :D

For the Morathi + Bowsnakes: You can charge with another unit first (protectors or Liberators for example) to soak the overwatch, and then get in with the Annihilators or Fulminators. With a proper charge move/pile in, you can block the retreat.
The annoying part is the "shoot/fight in the hero phase" ability of Morathi, and Morathi herself. 

• Like 1

Stormcast: What has worked?

I have been looking at tournament results since this July when the new GHB and the Stormdrake and Thunderbolt Volley nerfs took effect. I thought it would be fun to consider what has worked for us in practice. It has served to help me plan my painting queue, and I thought I should share it. The data are based on roughly 20 SCE podium placings in two-day tournaments. Only tournaments where lists have been easily available have been included.

Scions lists have seen much more success than Stormkeeps.

Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar and Hallowed Knights have been by far the most popular stormhosts.

Grand Strategy: No Place for the Weak and Take What Is Theirs have been the top choices.

Triumphs: Inspired has been by far the most popular triumph

Leaders: Lord Relictor, Gardus and Knight-Draconis have proven the most successful of our leaders. Celestant Prime, Lord Castellant and Celestant on a Stardrake have also seen success.

Command Traits: Master of Magic is the top choice, but High Priest sees some play too

Artefacts: Arcane Tome is the top choice, but Mirrorshield sees some play too

Spells: Thundershock and Celestial Blades is where it is at.

Prayers: Translocation, to the surprise of no-one.

Mount Traits: Thunderous Presence or Celestial Instincts.

Holy Commands: Call for Aid or Thunderbolt Volley.

Units: Liberators, Stormdrakes and Longstrikes have all been very popular; the latter two clearly were not nerfed into oblivion. Aetherwings, Fulminators, Tempestors, both varieties of Judicatiors, and Chariots have seen quite a bit of play too.

For Endless Spells, Everblaze Comet and Horrorghast have been fairly popular.

From outside of our battletome, Kronspine Incarnate, and Slann Starmaster have seen reasonable amount of use.

Battalions: Battle Regiment and Bounty Hunters are chosen most often.

We remain the most popular faction with roughly 10 per cent of the meta, and our win rate hovers around 50 per cent, so we are at a reasonable place.

Edited by feadair
  • Like 7

31 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

Good to see SCE weren't nerfed out of oblivion but the book's internal balance is still clearly pretty bad when some pretty harsh nerfs to the premier choices don't really justify pivoting to any of the other 80 warscrolls we're sitting on :/

Entire chambers worth of units collecting dust on my shelf...

was there another FAQ recently? I didn't think the Battlescribe thing nerfed us?