Bonersplitterz in 3rd Edition

Jimmy Bob Jones

2 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Does GW even sell Boarboyz anymore?  I didn't find them on their website.  Wondering what's up with that?  Seems like those are excellent in the Bonesplitterz.  I've never had a green army, and these guys look pretty fun!  

They're available in Europe but not the US probably due to production problems.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought an army (still in transit) that has 14 Savage Big Stabbas.  Is that more than I'll ever need, or just enough?!  Comparing it say a Rogue Idol and a Wardokk points/function-wise....not sure if I should sell off some, or give that many a go.  Low drop deployment seems pretty important for Bonesplitterz with their crappy armor (warpaint is good and all but not that durable overall).

Then I'm thinking maybe the Big Stabbas are perhaps better used in Drakkfoot instead of Icebone; seems almost every army has something with half-decent bonez hiding withing a ward save.  For Icebone I will have 2x10 Boarboyz available + 1x10 Boarboy Maniaks, and 60 Stikka Orruks.

I'll have 30 Arrowboyz too but honestly, don't want this to be my shooting army (that's what my Dwarves are for).  Think I'll sell them off for sure.  Seems like they coulda attached ice-arrowheads to the shafts but alas, the rules for Icebone don't pan out for them.  Too high-tech probably :D

Forgeworld is out of stock on the Rogue Idol, seems like a decent price if it was in stock.  But I found an Orc Stone Golem file on Thingiverse for a proxy.  Anyone know how tall the Rogue Idol is supposed to be?  I want to make sure it's the right scale.  I see the base is a 170x105mm size on the January 2021 FAQ.  Is that correct?  Cuz that's HUGE!

13 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I've bought an army (still in transit) that has 14 Savage Big Stabbas.  Is that more than I'll ever need, or just enough?!  Comparing it say a Rogue Idol and a Wardokk points/function-wise....not sure if I should sell off some, or give that many a go.  Low drop deployment seems pretty important for Bonesplitterz with their crappy armor (warpaint is good and all but not that durable overall).

Then I'm thinking maybe the Big Stabbas are perhaps better used in Drakkfoot instead of Icebone; seems almost every army has something with half-decent bonez hiding withing a ward save.  For Icebone I will have 2x10 Boarboyz available + 1x10 Boarboy Maniaks, and 60 Stikka Orruks.

I'll have 30 Arrowboyz too but honestly, don't want this to be my shooting army (that's what my Dwarves are for).  Think I'll sell them off for sure.  Seems like they coulda attached ice-arrowheads to the shafts but alas, the rules for Icebone don't pan out for them.  Too high-tech probably :D

Forgeworld is out of stock on the Rogue Idol, seems like a decent price if it was in stock.  But I found an Orc Stone Golem file on Thingiverse for a proxy.  Anyone know how tall the Rogue Idol is supposed to be?  I want to make sure it's the right scale.  I see the base is a 170x105mm size on the January 2021 FAQ.  Is that correct?  Cuz that's HUGE!

I would definetly not sell of any big stabbas, since you can only build 2 out of a 20 Box and are then left with 16 orruks.

Arrowboyz were good in Iceborne in 2.0, but bonesplitterz shifted a lot since then. Depending on how you want to handle the army (do you want to try everything out or just want a second army for fun) Id also keep them since you can run high body count bonegrinz lists.

As for the rogue idol I got a original and a 3d printed one. There are free Total war files and someone printed one for me in one piece on a saturn. 

The 3D printed one is 15-15,5 cm high, there are multiple poses aswell.

My original looks a little wonky since the pins got loose, I want to strip him and paint him like hes made of Ice both actually.

Edited by AlmGandix3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I would keep the arrowboys while you have the army. The rules change and you never know how things will pan out. We get access to a priest again and they will be worth considering in Drakkfoot.  As far as big stabbas...  kind of a similar deal. If reinforcement rules change again, and we go back to being able to field squads of 6, then I would keep them. For now, 14 is more than fine.

Every box I get, figure that I am getting 15 infantry, 2 big stabbas, and 1 extra boy to play with/convert. 2 boxes nets me a full squad of 30. I am at the point now where I may start converting big stabbas now too. Been wanting to make a Savage ork ballista with one for a while now.

• Thanks 1

I found this Earth Elemental Lord at my FLGS, from some game called Pathfinder.  Probably a bit smaller in bulk than the FW Rogue Idol, but it's over 15 cm to the top of the raised boulder.  For $25 (including the plastic card to make the giant oval base) I won't complain; I think with bunch of savage bits all over and a nice basing job it'll work.  Just need to make that Orruky mask.

IMG_20220108_183632.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Thinking about some potential Gloomspite allies....would a Fungoid Cave Shaman or two be worth taking, for extra CP generation and a Mystic Shield and Levitate?  Then any Wurgogg or Wardokk can do their stuff without having to think.  

I was also looking at a Colossal Squig, but partially just because I like the looks of that model.  Might pair up nicely with a Rogue Idol.  Of course that's a whole bunch less boyz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Thinking about some potential Gloomspite allies....would a Fungoid Cave Shaman or two be worth taking, for extra CP generation and a Mystic Shield and Levitate?  Then any Wurgogg or Wardokk can do their stuff without having to think.  

I was also looking at a Colossal Squig, but partially just because I like the looks of that model.  Might pair up nicely with a Rogue Idol.  Of course that's a whole bunch less boyz.

You totally could take a Fungoid, but I don't know that it's necessarily better than taking another Wardokk for a few points less (which is another contributor to a pregame move) or finding 5 points for a Maniak Weirdnob for access to his spell and mobility (especially with Fast Un).  Up to you really, but the Fungoid is perfectly usable if you like him.

Colossal Squig is hella fun, and I've ran mine a lot over the years, but I'm a bit down on him currently because his little trick of bursting into 5 models won't steal the objective from a Monster any more.  He's still a lot of fun though, and it'll still work against non-Monster Heroes.

My own preferences atm are Spider Riders (cheap mobile screens and BT scorers), Skitterstrand A-Rok (deep striking monsters are innately valuable, and he opens up some Battle Tactics) and Rippa's Snarlfangs (cheap and mobile, can score Battle Tactics, can lock multiple units in 2.9" away).  I think any of them can improve the army, and Rippa's are seeing a lot of success in competitive play in several armies right now.

• Thanks 1

Hmmm, haven't heard of Rippa's Snarlfangs before.  Sure do like the giant spider too!  Saw one tonight at the FLGS.  Next time I might have to pick that up :)

Got a blister of 2 old metal Goblin Shaman tonight...I'll slap a big mushroom on one of their heads for the Fungoid.  

Adepticon is coming soon; there might be a Colossal Squig or legit Rogue Idol for sale somewhere there.  

Is the Hedkrakka worth taking with his mob?  The easy +1 to hit seems pretty good, though he lacks the mask of doom.  I got the set in my army lot but I guess he could just be a Wurrgog.  Might be even-Steven on damage output.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Is the Hedkrakka worth taking with his mob?  The easy +1 to hit seems pretty good, though he lacks the mask of doom.  I got the set in my army lot but I guess he could just be a Wurrgog.  Might be even-Steven on damage output.  

Can't speak for everyone but I think he's absolutely awful. The +1 to hit is only on him and his equally awful mates. You can get the same result from a spell or CP but they'll do nothing regardless.

I'll admit that I'm slightly bitter that the dude with the claws and the one with the gigantic axe have a grand total of zero rend between them. Feels like an absolute insult tbh, so I am kinda biased against them. But I really just don't rate his chums at all: I think they're an awful combat unit and an even worse shooting unit. Their only value is as bodyguards to keep the wizard alive, but he's not really worth keeping alive because he does nothing for your army. 

Out of everything on his warscroll, I don't mind his spell - that'll occasionally be useful. But it's in no way comparable to the power of the Mask, so I'd take a generic Wurrgog over him every single time, personally. 

That being said, I bought the kit and it was still a really good purchase. The leader makes a great second sculpt for an extra Wurrgog (as you suggested), and the two combat dudes make great unit leaders or Savage Big Bosses if you're running multiples. 

The Freddy Krueger guy is quite an easy 32mm rebase, so I've been running him as a second Big Boss, and sometimes the axe man as a third. The models are great, and they can serve a good role in your army as the generic heroes, so the kit is still a great purchase imo.

20220114_232304.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guess I need to brush up on my reading, misunderstood the part about 'this unit' hitting better.  Yeah, PASS, but extra Wurrgog for sure!  Love those other Savage Big Boss looking guys too; they'll get play when I try using 4 of them for the pain-train idea.

Saw the article about using an allied Arachnarok for deepstriking terror shock, and Spider Riders for screens.  Those are great ideas and certainly do seems as savage and wild as the naked Orruks.  

I think if I play my buddy's Nurgle army (for his Adepticon training), I'll use Drakkfoot to see how Nurgle fairs without their precious Chaos gifts.

• Like 1

So, what changes do people hope Bonesplitterz get in the next balance update/what changes in general do you think Bonesplitterz need?

-Spirit Of Gorkamorka applies to all Bonesplitterz units and heroes regardless of the number of models in their unit (maybe not the Rouge Idol?).
-20-30pts drop on all infantry (except Big Stabbas).
-Wardokk gains the Priest keyword again (why did he lose it in the first place? Daughters have Wizard-Priest units so that can’t be it).
-and here’s one just for fun (I don’t think it’ll happen and I’m not sure it actually should): Savage Big Boss loses the Leader pitched battle role (like Grimwrath Berzerkers and Doomseekers)

• Like 2

I want the spell choices to be better. Feels like the rend on mounts is the only good choice.

And I would like the orruk clans to be allies of each other. Seems so wierd that i can't fill some gaps with stuff from other clans. Most buffs and such are clan specific anyway. 

I also want priest back or dance + cast again, felt like overkill to take away both.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 1:30 PM, PlasticCraic said:

Can't speak for everyone but I think he's absolutely awful. The +1 to hit is only on him and his equally awful mates. You can get the same result from a spell or CP but they'll do nothing regardless.

I'll admit that I'm slightly bitter that the dude with the claws and the one with the gigantic axe have a grand total of zero rend between them. Feels like an absolute insult tbh, so I am kinda biased against them. But I really just don't rate his chums at all: I think they're an awful combat unit and an even worse shooting unit. Their only value is as bodyguards to keep the wizard alive, but he's not really worth keeping alive because he does nothing for your army. 

Out of everything on his warscroll, I don't mind his spell - that'll occasionally be useful. But it's in no way comparable to the power of the Mask, so I'd take a generic Wurrgog over him every single time, personally. 

That being said, I bought the kit and it was still a really good purchase. The leader makes a great second sculpt for an extra Wurrgog (as you suggested), and the two combat dudes make great unit leaders or Savage Big Bosses if you're running multiples. 

The Freddy Krueger guy is quite an easy 32mm rebase, so I've been running him as a second Big Boss, and sometimes the axe man as a third. The models are great, and they can serve a good role in your army as the generic heroes, so the kit is still a great purchase imo.

20220114_232304.jpg

Those are my 2 savage bosses and wurgog 

neyAoJG.jpg

I made some small kitbashing with savage orcs bits.

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 1/15/2022 at 10:35 PM, Joseph Mackay said:

So, what changes do people hope Bonesplitterz get in the next balance update/what changes in general do you think Bonesplitterz need?

-Spirit Of Gorkamorka applies to all Bonesplitterz units and heroes regardless of the number of models in their unit (maybe not the Rouge Idol?).
-Wardokk gains the Priest keyword again (why did he lose it in the first place? Daughters have Wizard-Priest units so that can’t be it).
-and here’s one just for fun (I don’t think it’ll happen and I’m not sure it actually should): Savage Big Boss loses the Leader pitched battle role (like Grimwrath Berzerkers and Doomseekers)

Pie in the sky hopes?

Add to the Bonegrinz Faction abilitiy that the Spirit of Gorkamorka applies to their ranged attacks, or just change the ability directly. This fits with their theme, and makes arrowboys a little more efficient. They are already the most inaccurate unit in the book, why nerf them further? (The obvious and cynical answer is that they didn't want us to outshine bolt boys).

Change Drakkfoot allegiance ability to "enemy units cannot take ward saves against wounds and mortal wounds caused by Drakkfoot units." Right now it only works on attacks. This change will let it work on all wounds. Ignoring wards is already a niche ability. Why narrow it even more by limiting it to just attacks? It's even more insulting that there is only one way for Drakkfoot to actually deal a mortal wound via attacks, and that us by blowing a command ability on a big boss.

Add or just change the Wardokk's keyword to priest again. Destruction needs access to priests just like all the other factions. The curse prayer would potentially be a game changer on its own. 

Change Mork's Boney Bitz to what it was in the previous book. As is it can be useless a good amount of time as is, especially in a tournament setting.

Remove the stipulation about not being able to shoot from power of the were-boar. This puts it back in line to where it was, and will let Bonegrinz players be able to get two units shooting halfway decent a turn.

Reduce the price of Savage Orruks. It feels odd that our basic unit is also the most expensive one in the book. 20 points less would be nice.

Those would be my fixes. Bonegrinz and Drakkfoot would be brought more in line with Icebone. Our shooting would be brought back in line and worthy of consideration. Once again we can consistently get a +3 to cast, and puts us back into A tier casting again. Access to a priest would not only flip the script for us, but also do wonders for gitz as well.

Will it ever happen? I doubt it, but this is what I would do.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 11:35 PM, Joseph Mackay said:

Agreed, being a 2W infantry seems to cost a lot of points regardless of the actual profile and bonesplitterz infantry is horrendously overcosted for their points.

It would be nice if morboys could ignore coherency requirements too.

Also what would be way funnier than savage big boss losing leader would be it gaining the battleline keyword. So you can spam them as a chain fighting "unit" without hitting leader cap, but they're still leaders.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 9:50 PM, bonzai said:

Add to the Bonegrinz Faction abilitiy that the Spirit of Gorkamorka applies to their ranged attacks, or just change the ability directly. This fits with their theme, and makes arrowboys a little more efficient. They are already the most inaccurate unit in the book, why nerf them further? (The obvious and cynical answer is that they didn't want us to outshine bolt boys).

[...]

Remove the stipulation about not being able to shoot from power of the were-boar. This puts it back in line to where it was, and will let Bonegrinz players be able to get two units shooting halfway decent a turn.

I would extend this to Big Whaagh bonuses. Consider that in AoS 3, is not possible to stack more than a +1 to hit, and there is no way to double shoot anymore, so at a base +5 to hit, they still look a bit lame to me. They have two attacks but with a +5 to hit, it will be roughly equivalent to hitting on a 4+ but having just one attack. A +1 to hit will make it equivalent to a +3 to hit, +4 to wound, no rend and one damage but with a single shoot.

Edited by OrcaLullaby

I think Arrowboyz should hit Monsters on a +1 anyways, cuz Monsters are bigga!  Thus easier to hit, like the broadside of a barn.  A spell or CA to make them more rendy  (perhaps from an Arrowboy hero or priest?) would be more sensible.

Designing some Bonesplitterz dice, trying to get quotes on 16mm size.  Anyone know of any good affordable custom dice makers?  I tried customdice.com but the cheapest they're quoting me is like $3 per unless I order a couple thousand (only really want like 40-60).  That's a broken bone for the 6 and teef for da pipz.

Bonesplitterz Dice 3D a.jpg

Bonesplitterz Dice 3D b.jpg

Bonesplitterz Dice PDF layout.jpg

Edited by Lord Krungharr
  • Like 1