Bonersplitterz in 3rd Edition

Jimmy Bob Jones

On 2/27/2022 at 5:27 PM, PlasticCraic said:

Congrats to @Shirtripper for the 4-1 on the weekend

Well done mate! 

Yeah, congrats! Saw another Post on FB about another Bonesplitterz w/ Kragnos going 4-1 as well. To my knowledge you two are the highest placing Bonesplitterz players since the book came out.

Guess Kragnos is the secret sauce we have been looking for. Would love to hear any insight or pointers that you have. I have yet do very well against high end competitive lists 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bonzai said:

Yeah, congrats! Saw another Post on FB about another Bonesplitterz w/ Kragnos going 4-1 as well. To my knowledge you two are the highest placing Bonesplitterz players since the book came out.

Guess Kragnos is the secret sauce we have been looking for. Would love to hear any insight or pointers that you have. I have yet do very well against high end competitive lists 

Wild that we had 2 4-1s same weekend lol.

Honestly, the biggest thing is playing objectives, and keeping your opponents off of them. People get so focused on combat that a lot of the time they charge with their whole army because they can, and end up with half of their 2000 points dead by the top of round 2.

Maneuvering onto objectives snd constricting your opponents choices is what works so well for us. By making as complex a board state as possible for your opponent, you create a puzzle that they have to figure their way out of or they lose.

Additionally, threat projection is a really powerful tool, since we have so much mobility and being able to charge almost at will. The combination of the two makes your opponents usually rethink their typical deployment strategies, which can open up to bad positioning for them which we can exploit.

Finally, you can win only when you can dictate combat. You have to be able to decide where the combats begin and end, because while we have a lot of wounds, armies like Stormcast can chew through them efficiently.

Kragnos is the hammer to our entire army's anvil.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2022 at 3:27 PM, broche said:

cool! link for lists/results? :)

It's locked behind BCP unless you have it, but here's my list:

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
- Warclan: Icebone
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Indomitable

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (150)*
- Artefact: Glowin' Tattooz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Glowy Green Tusks
Maniak Weirdnob (100)*
- General
- Command Trait: One Wiv Da Beast - Glowy Green Tusks
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
Kragnos, The End of Empires (720)*

Battleline
10 x Savage Orruks (165)*
- Chompas
15 x Savage Boarboys (420)*
- Stikkas
- Reinforced x 2
5 x Savage Boarboys (140)*
- Stikkas

Units
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (290)*
- Reinforced x 1

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1985 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 141
Drops: 1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Excellent write up @Shirtripper although I am of course wildly biased!

Must admit, you've got me including the Maniak Weirdnob in my lists now.  He was always the thing that got cut before when I was trimming lists back below 2000.  Now I am making a concerted effort to keep him in there!

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Like 1

"On my T4 after choosing Broken Ranks, the Wurrgog Prophet casts Metamorphosis and Glowy Green Tusks on the Maniak Weirdnob.  The Weirdnob casts Arcane Bolt on himself, then uses Fast ’Un to get within 4” of the Gatebreaker. The Weirdnob charges, and unleashes Arcane Bolt on the Gatebreaker bringing him to 3 wounds remaining. The Monster Weirdnob Titanic Duels the Gatebreaker, gets all hits with his staff, then proceeds to roll a 6 to wound, instantly dealing d3 MWs to the Gatebreaker, and I roll a 3. I complete my Battle Tactic by killing a monster with a monster, scoring max points!"

hahaha so nice!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Excellent write up @Shirtripper although I am of course wildly biased!

Must admit, you've got me including the Maniak Weirdnob in my lists now.  He was always the thing that got cut before when I was trimming lists back below 2000.  Now I am making a concerted effort to keep him in there!

He does 1 thing super well, which is be really hard to kill for Slay the Warlord. He also does random little things well, like hero phase moving onto empty objectives to grab control!  He's been very handy lately. :)

• Like 1

I think everyone can agree that Kragnos current version is really good. I also think everyone can agree that taking Kragnos with whatever factions makes that faction a Kragnos army and not at all a __________ faction army.

Bonesplitterz have their strengths. They have their bodies. They lack so much else that there is good reason for them to be bottom tier and rarely played.

Personally, I'm not going to jump on the Kragnos bandwagon. I went all in on Stikkas/Arrers last year and I can't be bothered to round em out with another 20 Boarboys. I'm sure they's do ok with Kragbro but mathematically the Icebone Boarhammer does way better.

@Shirtripper Well player Sir. Great well written report. Holy hell, you had luck. My recent report in the Nighthaunt forums tells of me failing 10 charges with half of those being 4" or less., and still being able to body-block my way to a decent result. I think the playstyle takes skill and you certainly knew what you were going for. As for the Defender terrain setup. No thanks!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Boggler said:

I think everyone can agree that Kragnos current version is really good. I also think everyone can agree that taking Kragnos with whatever factions makes that faction a Kragnos army and not at all a __________ faction army.

Bonesplitterz have their strengths. They have their bodies. They lack so much else that there is good reason for them to be bottom tier and rarely played.

Personally, I'm not going to jump on the Kragnos bandwagon. I went all in on Stikkas/Arrers last year and I can't be bothered to round em out with another 20 Boarboys. I'm sure they's do ok with Kragbro but mathematically the Icebone Boarhammer does way better.

@Shirtripper Well player Sir. Great well written report. Holy hell, you had luck. My recent report in the Nighthaunt forums tells of me failing 10 charges with half of those being 4" or less., and still being able to body-block my way to a decent result. I think the playstyle takes skill and you certainly knew what you were going for. As for the Defender terrain setup. No thanks!

Thanks man!  I'm going to disagree with you here that Kragnos + XYZ = a Kragnos army. Make no mistake, he's a much needed boost in power, but I'm still a firm believer that Bonesplitterz can compete if the pilot playing it is willing to go deep on playing it. There's a feedback loop at play here with a lot of players, that the casual nature of the army turns off competitive players and thus only beerhammer players end up playing the army.

I've had personal great success with Bonesplitterz even before Kragnos was updated, and that was with just Boars and the Rogue Idol.

Kragnos is an auto-take, personally, if you want to compete, because its like taking Archaon in Tzeentch--if you can, why not?  If he gets nerfed, I'll go back to using Rogue Idols or Mega-Gargants to replace him.

Ultimately, he doesn't change how the army plays, he supplements it, and he supplements Bonesplitterz than any other army because they work *perfectly* in tandem.

• Like 1

I guess we could think of Kragnos as like a Rogue Idol plus 2x4 Big Stabbas almost.  How do they compare?  Pretty close in terms of aggregate killiness, BUT Kragnos (while half the wound count), has the Mightiest Makes Rightiest, so out weighs them all in objective control, and with his excellent armor save and potential spell ignoring, can probably outlast all of them too, AND he makes all the Bonesplitterz wholly within 12" of him roll 3D6 charges.  Add the icing of the big charge MW trick, and I think he becomes worth it at that point.  I'm certainly trying him next game I do with the greenskinz.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cdance93 said:

Hey Friends! Was looking for advice on a Bonesplitterz army I just traded for since I am dying to Waaaaagh!! Is this the right thread? Seems like the most active Bonesplitterz community I can find. 

There's a new thread in the Orruk Warclans subsection of Destruction here on the forums but some of the old hands have stayed posting here. It would probably help to consolidate there. 

On 3/4/2022 at 5:03 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

I guess we could think of Kragnos as like a Rogue Idol plus 2x4 Big Stabbas almost.  How do they compare?  Pretty close in terms of aggregate killiness, BUT Kragnos (while half the wound count), has the Mightiest Makes Rightiest, so out weighs them all in objective control, and with his excellent armor save and potential spell ignoring, can probably outlast all of them too, AND he makes all the Bonesplitterz wholly within 12" of him roll 3D6 charges.  Add the icing of the big charge MW trick, and I think he becomes worth it at that point.  I'm certainly trying him next game I do with the greenskinz.  

What are your thoughts on a Gargant instead of Kragnos? Just maybe worth it in so many ways to take Kragnos for the extra points 

3 hours ago, Cdance93 said:

What are your thoughts on a Gargant instead of Kragnos? Just maybe worth it in so many ways to take Kragnos for the extra points 

I played with Gargants for a long time. They work great in the army! Especially Kraken Eaters kickong objectives and just generally being a nuisance.

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2022 at 6:47 PM, Shirtripper said:

Thanks man!  I'm going to disagree with you here that Kragnos + XYZ = a Kragnos army.

Ya! Maybe its just me that thinks this way! I don't call my "Nagash Nighthaunt" army "Nighthaunt" either!

In any case. I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Bonesplitterz.

I'm a ways away to get my Boyz to a competitive level this Ed. Like 4-5 boxes of Boars short to be precise. This will get done eventually but probably not this year. I have way too many other projects on the go. And, I knew I had to make the switch back in Summer 2021 when we all found out that we had to reset everything, add boars and go Icebone.

If we get some pts changes to the army then I'll be super happy as I won't have to hobby as much. Reinforcement pts also give me a problem trying to get any list to 1 drop without adding a Mega.

Kragnos? Eh, No thanks... For now!

48 minutes ago, Shirtripper said:

I played with Gargants for a long time. They work great in the army! Especially Kraken Eaters kickong objectives and just generally being a nuisance.

Thanks Shirtripper, now I’m starstruck haha! What would be your take on a list without boars? That’s what I’ve inherited, 90 beautiful foot sloggers 50 melee 40 bows. Can da boyz be competitive without boars. I’m committed 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cdance93 said:

Thanks Shirtripper, now I’m starstruck haha! What would be your take on a list without boars? That’s what I’ve inherited, 90 beautiful foot sloggers 50 melee 40 bows. Can da boyz be competitive without boars. I’m committed 

I think they definitely can. I believe the meta is shifting to higher wound counts being able to outlast all these overtuned, high damage units. The 9th place at the Cherokee Open was bonesplitterz running essentially what you have, but with 5 Boars filling out battleline. He went 3-1-1 with over 200 wounds that just represents a LOT of bodies to chew through.

A buddy of mine coined the term "Wound Density Meta" and I feel like that is where we are going.

2 hours ago, NauticalSoup said:

@Shirtripper been studying your posts on plasticcraic's blog, I was wondering how you would build a list around a rogue idol. Or even better kragnos and a rogue idol combined!

For a Rogue Idol, I'd probably do something like this in some capacity, since you want to take advantage of the 3" reach to fight over your own Orruks on foot, or go charging in T1 if they leave something squishy out in the open:

- Triumphs:

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (65)
- General
- Command Trait: Great Hunter
Wurrgog Prophet (150)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Power of the Were-boar
Wardokk (80)

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (495)
- Stikkas
- Reinforced x 2
10 x Savage Orruks (165)
- Stikkas
10 x Savage Orruks (165)
- Stikkas

Units
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (160)
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (290)
- Reinforced x 1

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (430)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Wounds: 180
Drops: 9

As for Kragnos + Rogue Idol, it's a bit tougher for space, but this might be worth trying out with Krag + Rogue Idol acting as a 1-2 punch:

- Triumphs:

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (150)
Maniak Weirdnob (100)
Kragnos, The End of Empires (720)

Battleline
10 x Savage Boarboys (280)
- Chompas
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Savage Boarboys (140)
- Chompas
10 x Savage Orruks (165)
- Chompas

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (430)

Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Wounds: 112
Drops: 7

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Shirtripper said:

For a Rogue Idol, I'd probably do something like this in some capacity, since you want to take advantage of the 3" reach to fight over your own Orruks on foot, or go charging in T1 if they leave something squishy out in the open:

- Triumphs:

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (65)
- General
- Command Trait: Great Hunter
Wurrgog Prophet (150)
Wardokk (80)

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (495)
- Stikkas
- Reinforced x 2
10 x Savage Orruks (165)
- Stikkas
10 x Savage Orruks (165)
- Stikkas

Units
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (160)
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (290)
- Reinforced x 1

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (430)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Wounds: 180
Drops: 9

As for Kragnos + Rogue Idol, it's a bit tougher for space, but this might be worth trying out with Krag + Rogue Idol acting as a 1-2 punch:

- Triumphs:

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (150)
Maniak Weirdnob (100)
Kragnos, The End of Empires (720)

Battleline
10 x Savage Boarboys (280)
- Chompas
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Savage Boarboys (140)
- Chompas
10 x Savage Orruks (165)
- Chompas

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (430)

Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Wounds: 112
Drops: 7

Yeah, I don't know about running Kragnos and an Idol. I used to run double Idol, and that was far to many points tied up into too few units. I am a lot happier with 1 and having more units and wounds to work with.

4 hours ago, Cdance93 said:

Does anyone here run into the issue of their general getting popped off the board before you can call the Waaagh? 

If you play a big boss general, you have to put him in hiding and work really hard to not get him killed. 

A wurrgog general means don't get unlucky with the staring contest or else.

My best general so far has been the Weirdnob, since he moves quickly and can position himself away from shooting, magic, etc. Fast'Un allows him to slingshot across the board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1