AoS 3 - Nighthaunt Discussion

dmorley21

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

*rises from the dead* Nagash called upon my soul. Read some pages back, lovely Nagash lists, sadly the one with the cogs from Lare is now overpriced because it’s more expensive to field cogs. The one with Cado and Fell bats i’d like to try.

@lare2 Loved your earlier Reikenor list, adjusted it a bit because the sun is more expensive, cut out a banshee unit and put in a terminexus for just absolute damage output. A sun and a terminexus running rampant is just pure destruction.

Army Faction: Nighthaunt
    - Army Subfaction: The Scarlet Doom
    - Grand Strategy: Pillars of Magic and Belief
    - Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADER

1 x Reikenor the Grimhailer (190)**
    - Spells: Shademist

1 x Guardian of Souls (150)***
    - General
    - Command Traits: Master of Magic
    - Chill Blade
    - Artefacts: Pendant of the Fell Wind
    - Spells: Seal of Shyish

1 x Krulghast Cruciator (150)***
    - Artefacts: Arcane Tome
    - Spells: Soul Cage

1 x Spirit Torment (115)***

BATTLELINE

20 x Bladegheist Revenants (350)*

10 x Grimghast Reapers (160)*

10 x Grimghast Reapers (160)*

5 x Hexwraiths (160)**

5 x Hexwraiths (160)**

3 x Spirit Hosts (125)***

ENDLESS SPELL

1 x Purple Sun of Shyish (90)

1 x Mortalis Terminexus (85)

OTHER

4 x Myrmourn Banshees (105)**

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Expert Conquerors

**Battle Regiment

***Warlord

TOTAL POINTS: (2000/2000)

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Love it. Great list. I'm struggling to come up with new stuff at the minute, not knowing what's gonna happen in January. Who knows what we'll need to focus on. If Bonds of Battle goes, I'm gonna miss my BGR.

One thing that's on my mind a lot is Indomitable. More and more I'm thinking it's key for me as there's a lot out there shutting down battleshock immunity. At a tourney the weekend and the only game I lost was against NH. Crucial part of the game was losing my BGR to battleshock. Was gutted... wouldn't have happened if I had the Triumph. 

I just pre-ordered the Legion of Grief box. Going to get rid of Olynder, since i have her already, but the other units are welcome. I’ve always been low on reapers and harridans. Bladegheist i have about 40 of, but i want to run a 20, 10, 10, 10 list sometime in Scarlet. The coach is welcome too since i only had the old one. Excited to build these.

edit: made a list of course.

Army Faction: Nighthaunt
    - Army Subfaction: The Scarlet Doom
    - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
    - Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADER

1 x Guardian of Souls (150)*
    - General
    - Command Traits: Master of Magic
    - Chill Blade
    - Spells: Seal of Shyish

1 x Krulghast Cruciator (150)*
    - Artefacts: Pendant of the Fell Wind

1 x Spirit Torment (115)*
    - Artefacts: Arcane Tome
    - Spells: Shademist

BATTLELINE

6 x Spirit Hosts (250)*

10 x Bladegheist Revenants (175)**

5 x Hexwraiths (160)**

5 x Hexwraiths (160)**

20 x Bladegheist Revenants (350)***

10 x Bladegheist Revenants (175)***

10 x Bladegheist Revenants (175)***

OTHER

4 x Myrmourn Banshees (105)*

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Warlord

**Bounty Hunters

***Expert Conquerors

TOTAL POINTS: (1965/2000)

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Big BGR ball down the middle. Spirit hosts and banshee covering the blob and protecting the heroes, while the heroes protect the blob. Other BGR units flank and cover with WoT charges. The hexwraiths go to backline objectives and be annoying with their battalion. All wonderful spooky ghost stuff.

Edited by That Guy
  • LOVE IT! 1

Nice list. Can't really find any faults with it. Think you'll do well. Suppose it would be nice to have another ST (to rez SH and BGR) but I find you can't have everything with NH... It's not a cheap army. 

On the coach, I really wish it wasn't so expensive. It's such a fantastic model and a real shame it doesn't get to see much table time. Think I've ran mine just the once since 3rd edition. 

On 11/17/2022 at 8:43 AM, lare2 said:

That list is something I'd never have considered. Thanks for the detailed breakdown 

If you wish to go full Nighthaunt, you can swap Cado and the Fell bats for Reikenor. 
It works nicely as well. The mw dmg output is surprisingly good: Nagash (arcane boltzzzz), Reikenor (2d3), Mortalis Terminexus, hexwraiths (on the charge), Emerald Host ability...
I've mostly used the Terminexus for healing purposes, but the aoe dmg is... hooooly moly...

But the loss of 3 bases is kinda eeeeeh when you are already on such low body count.

On 11/23/2022 at 3:17 PM, That Guy said:

*rises from the dead* Nagash called upon my soul. Read some pages back, lovely Nagash lists, sadly the one with the cogs from Lare is now overpriced because it’s more expensive to field cogs. The one with Cado and Fell bats i’d like to try.

I plan on taking the Cado list at a local tournament this Saturday.

Although I still have some interrogation on:
-going one drop or still keeping the BH battalion. :/
-Fell bats + spellportal or 3 additional spirit host for an additional VP when doing Barge through Enemy Lines. A VP is a VP! :D

Edited by Alezya

Thx! I'm going with fell bats and sspellportal.

So we have many people not coming, but the lists are so funny! Peeeerfect targets for Nagash and Hand of Dust! :D

There are two lists playing double Stardrake.

-Double Stardrake, Krondys, 15 Libbies and a Comet.
-Double Stardrake, double Knight Incantor (annoying), lord relictor, Castellan, 15 libbies, Farstrider.
-Imperator, Celestant, Relictor, 5 protectors, 5 retrib, 2*3 Annihilator (shield), 2*5 vindictors, 2 fulminators and 5 judicators (I'm playing vs this list first round).
-Katakros, Soulmason, Boneshaper, 40 morteks, 2 Gothizzars, Stalker and Kavalos riders.
-Butcher, Hrothgorn, 2*20 gnoblars, 8 leadbelcher, 4 leadbelcherss, 6 gluttons, 4 ironblasters (aouch).

Should've been like 4 other players (StD, DoK, NH, KO) but they can't come unfortunately... 

I'm playing vs the one list where Hand of dust will be the least effective lol! Unlucky! 

Edited by Alezya
  • Like 1

Sometimes i just like to run something that works, but is not necessarily a meta winning list. I think of a coach list like that. Nowadays no one expects a coach. I just want to see their faces when i show up with 2-3. Haha. The element of surprise can sometimes lead to interesting results. Concerning Nagash lists, it’s just nice that lists like the one with Cado are possible, since Nagash abilities work on the summonable keywords and abilities to revive. I do anticipate a lot of OBR Nagash lists coming up in the Spring of 2023. No doubt that death tome will be OBR.

Right got a whole bunch of nighthaunt along with the xmas box.

Olynder
Reikenor
Spirit Torment
Coach
Guardian of Souls

10 Bladegheist
4 Myrmourn
10 Dreadscythe
5 Hexwraiths
10 Grimghast Reapers

Where the hell should I go from here? This is already almost 2k points but is a little all over the place. Probably need some spirit hosts, but unsure what else to do.

@pixieproxy 3-6 spirit hosts and 10 additional reapers should do the trick and give a solid base for a 2k list.

My tournament this week end went soooooooo wrong. 
How can someone make that much miscasts at first attempts of casting the cogs and 1s during the game? damn...

*So, first game vs SCE, running a msu list, new player in AoS playing with what he has. Silksteel nest.
Being one drop, I go first because I want to be able to play on his double turn, in order to give myself the critical double turn on T2-T3, and mitigating his deep striking and movement by doing effective screening with my units: I am more mobile than him, I can fly, retreat and charge, etc etc. 

He puts 1 vindictor unit in the far left objective. 1 vindictor unit in the middle left objective with the relictor and imperatant, judicator unit in the middle right objective, and 2 fulminators on the far right objective. 
I put everything on my left side of the board, 5 hexwraiths screening Cado, 5 hexwraiths screening Nagash, with just 3 fell bats on the side of the fulminators. Spirit hosts and Lord Exec in DS.
I only roll 1 on the Emerald host ability, so I pick the Imperatant and the relictor.
The plan is to try to kill the imperatant and relictor to reduce his tps (annihilators would deep strike at 9", and he'd lose relocation prayer, right?).

But everything went totally wrong:
T1: Cado uses his ability to get +1 and try to cast Cogs: 1-1, miscast, 3 mws.
Nagash casts mystic shield on himself, -1 to wound and 5++ ward on the hexwraith unit that will screen in the middle of the board. Tries to cast spellportal: 1-1, miscast, 3 mws, I save 2.
My movements only consist by expanding a bit with the hexwraiths, but not too much, just to avoid the mws on the TP, etc... It looks like this: 

IMG_1252.jpg.d713b47b7f234c91ae0cb8bb38a5445c.jpg

My opponent can deep strike on my left and try to charge the not buffed unit, but then he'll be on foot where I'll be able to move around and focus on the other side of the board.
He can DS on the middle and try to charge the fully buffed unit, meaning I'll be able to mitigate the dmg. 
He can DS on my right side, but then he'll open his right side and then I can start to grind from that point.

What I'd do, based on my many games in AoS would be to focus on one point, trying to maximise my chances of successful charges at 9" and go from there, right? 
He choses to DS Celestant and 3 annihilator on my left side (1mw on the hexwraith), 5 vindictors in the middle, 5 retributors on the fell bats. I was like "wait, whaaat?"
He rolls: Celestant charges at 11, Annihilator at 9", Vindictor at 12", Retributor at 10". mmmm' k...
Annihilators do 3 mws on the hexwraiths, meaning I get to remove 2 bases and they are out of range for fighting purposes, even after their pile in. Vindictors kill 1, celestant kills 1, fell bats die. I kill 2 vindictors.

T2: I won the initiative, but I realise I need a change of plan. I didn't expect that many successful charges, thus he is in my lines and I need to get rid of these units fast otherwise I'll lose the objectives. 
So I go first.
This time, I cast cogs with Nagash: 1-1, miscasts, 3 mws, I save 2. No more spells.
I bring back Hexwraiths, both units retreat, one goes toward the relictor and Imperatant and 5 vindictors, the other one screens a bit, Spirit Host DS on the far right objective to take it from the fulminators who moved too far, the lord executioner deep strikes on the far left objective, trying a charge at 9" on both of the SCE heroes. Cado (under finest hour) goes near the annihilator with mws on wound rolls, and Nagash moves to kill 3 vindictors.
The plan is: Nagash kills 3 vindictors, get a hold of the objective, and when the fulminator comes near, Nagash redeploys. Too bad I don't have arcane bolts stacked. They are very useful as a defense tool.
The Lord misses his charge, but except that, everyone goes in. Hexwraiths kill the imperatant (mw on the charge, hitting with -1 save debuff), Cado does 2 dmg on the annihilator (1-2-2-2-3 on hit rolls, I kept the All out Attack for Nagash), Nagash kills a single vindictor with shooting and CC. :)

Let's say I'm getting a bit disappointed right now. Anyways....
Nagash calls his Finest hour.
He moves his SCE units, Fulminators come near Nagash, forgets to deep strike annihilators and protectors and remembers them before charging rolls, I tell him he can DS them in, as it won't really change anything tbh. But he said it was his mistake, blabla.
Fulminators charge, All out defense on Nagash, rolls quite bad, I have a chance of saving Nagash: only have 3 saves to do, at 3+: 1-1-2. 9w, Nagash dies. 

From then, it consists in me trying to get as many points as possible, while removing my models from the board... I score nothing on the last 2 turn, major lose. 

MSU is an annoying matchup, but with proper hero phase, I could've manage something. 

*Second game vs OBR list with Katakros, 2 Gothizzar, 40 morteks and other stuff. The scenario is the one where you get to pick and objective to be the alpha.

It mostly relies on my ability to kill the Gothizzars right off, with an option on soulmason (gothizzar cartouche is super annoying and makes the mortek really killy), and Katakros (+1 hit and resurrecting models, -1 hit on me, etc), and being successful on my roars.
I know the matchup, I know both armies, I know what I have to do, and all.

T1: I let him go first as I am out of range for hand of dust and all, he can't charge me, and I want to play on a potential double turn to hand of dust some stuff. 
He advances and overcommits a bit.
Cado fails Cogs, Nagash casts mystic shield, -1 to wound, 5++ ward, spellportal, I roll 2-2 on the strike last spell: It's kinda annoying because I have -1 to cast, and the strike last really helps in case I lose the initiative: I chose to reroll as he still has dispells available: 1-1, miscast, can't cast hand of dust.

T2: He wins the initiative. Thanks to me screening effectively, he can't really get something valuable. And he overcommits again with his mortek guards by charging too far, piling in too far, etc: Basically, he leaves a huge opening for Nagash, because Katakros, soulmason, stalkers (nearby a gothizzar) are here for the take, with Kavalos riders as well. I can put in my Lord Exec, Nagash, and 5 hexwraiths to block the pile in of the morteks and reduce their impact. Everything can go really sexy from there! 
Not sure if this "mistake" is intended or not, but I'm like: 

bait.gif

Anyway, I chose to go all-in, as I have the potential double turn. Waaagh! Mr Bond!
Finest hour, Nagash casts Cogs, mystic shield, 6 arcane bolts, ready to rumble!
The plan is to put Nagash in contact with the Stalkers, Katakros, kavalos riders, kill the riders with the bolts, kill the stalkers on CC, and keep Katakros in case of a double turn: I need to OS him, otherwise he hurts me very bad - so Hand of Dust. 
Lord exec needs a 6" charge to impact the soulmason, Nagash a 3" for a successful charge, but 6" to be in the middle of the hole. What could go wrong? you may ask...
Lord Exec charges at 5", so he can go on the morteks, but not the soulmason.
Nagash does 3", impacts the soulmason and will pile in 3". Hexwraiths get in and deals 2 mws on the soulmason.
Nagash is far away for the bolts in the riders (start of the combat phase), so I chose to keep them for later - battleshock phase, or in case I lose the initiative. He piles in, kills the soulmason, kills 2 stalkers (rr save) but one comes back thanks to Gothizzar. 
He hits back, don't do a lot of dmg: Katakros misses Inda Khaat attacks, his companions do 2-3 dmg, Stalkers go out of range of the Gothizzar when they piled in, 6 arcane bolt onto them: 17 mws xD

I'm okeyish so far: not a lot of losses, managed to kill a key target, some fast and heavy hitting stuff, could use the double turn to kill another one and TP Nagash away. 
But I roll 1 on the initiative. Therefore I don't get a double turn. Therefore I lose Nagash to 20 morteks (under undeniable empowers nadirite weapons) and a Gothizzar. And the lord exec.

Everything starts to fall apart but I'm still in front in terms of VPs. So, as the previous game: I try to max my pts while removing models.
I could maybe win if I could get the next double turn, 'cause I would make my advantage bigger (still have more objective than him) due to a good use of Proving grounds and Alpha objective.
But it doesn't go my way. We played alternately during the whole game. 

I lose in the last round. 
Causing me to finish last at the tourney.
1st goes to SCE with double stardrake.
2nd goes to SCE with double stardrake and Krondys.

Was fun overall, despite my bad luck! 

Edited by Alezya
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2022 at 10:38 AM, pixieproxy said:

Right got a whole bunch of nighthaunt along with the xmas box.

Olynder
Reikenor
Spirit Torment
Coach
Guardian of Souls

10 Bladegheist
4 Myrmourn
10 Dreadscythe
5 Hexwraiths
10 Grimghast Reapers

Where the hell should I go from here? This is already almost 2k points but is a little all over the place. Probably need some spirit hosts, but unsure what else to do.

Very nice start. Olynder is already part of the box, so you have a double of her now or...?
Other than that I'd say look at the different sub faction and start with just one of them that you like most.
Since you have a bit of everything i'd suggest Emerald Host sub-faction, but you can obviously specialize. Grieving legion rewards using hordes, so going into Reapers and Chainrasps is the way to go there. Quicksilver revolves around Harridans. Scarlet revolves around Bladegheist. I feel this is something you need to decide first before expanding.

4 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I purchased the Nighthaunt set, now I just need to craft an excuse to haunt my Pathfinder 2 players with loads of spooks. They are already well aquinted with Banshees, the Briar queen and Glaivewraith Stalkers, but at some point, somebody's going to drive up to them in the Black Coach.

I just love that the vampire in the casket is waiting to reform feeding and getting stronger on all kinds of energies/magic while the black coach crashes through the battlefield. Just adds so much character. Awesome model.

13 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

I just love that the vampire in the casket is waiting to reform feeding and getting stronger on all kinds of energies/magic while the black coach crashes through the battlefield. Just adds so much character. Awesome model.

I think I'll have Lady Annika roll up to their front door in it.

Lady Olynder and the Black Coach are works of art, I like that this box has both.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

On my last game (vs Sylvaneth), I forgot my Cado, so I took the Mourngul out from the showcase. Just to give it a go.
Going for this, these days! Mainly for fun.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
- Procession: Emerald Host
- Grand Strategy: Take What's Theirs
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead (955)*
Lord Executioner (140)*
- General
- Command Trait: Hatred of the Living
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon

Battleline
3 x Spirit Hosts (125)*
5 x Hexwraiths (160)*
5 x Hexwraiths (160)*

Behemoth
Mourngul (300)

Endless Spells & Invocations
Chronomantic Cogs (70)
Mortalis Terminexus (85)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 135 / 400
Wounds: 65
Drops: 1

A 2nd source of roar, in order to avoid having to send in Nagash.
And a 6" -1 to hit bubble to babysit a unit of Hexwraiths/Nagash.

We played Head on Collision. 
The Sylvaneth list was Drycha, Durthu with gladius glade, Warsong Rev, TLA, battlemage of Ghur, 2*10 dryads, 5 tree revs, spiteswarm hive, purple sun, quicksilver sword.
I take the first turn, manage to expand on the table so he can't bring in trees, or TP as he wishes. 
Basically, his turns consist in him buffing Durthu and sending him in, killing my stuff and then TP back. Sometimes I get to dispell his buff or Warsong's spell, sometimes not. But he successfully charged every time :D
This time Nagash killed some stuff! Durthu, then Drycha, 10 dryads.

Despite him killing me faster than I'd kill him, we are even on points until turn 4.
He has TLA, the battlemage, warsong, 3 tree revs and 2 dryads left on the table, I have Nagash, Lord exec and 3 spirit host. It is super hard to hold the objectives and score my BTs.
Anyhow I planned to try Desecrate their lands in T4, and barge through enemy lines in T5: I put 3 spirit host near the chosen terrain, he brings in the TLA in range thanks to a 5" redeploy. I charge with Nagash on the TLA (but can't get in range of the terrain unfortunately - I could've rerolled the charge, I needed like 2-3" more but I could've failed the charge and lose on all aspects)... Unfortunately I can't kill him. Nagash was tired. So can't score that.
If I get a double turn, I can secure my T5 BT, and maybe my GS because he only had TLA and warsong left.
But he gets the initiative on T5, I lose the Lord Exec on the Warsong revenant's spell (Nagash didn't dispell it) and the spirit host. I only have Nagash left. 

Very close game vs a very good opponent! 

Once I finish painting Reikenor, I plan to swap the Mourngul for Reikenor and a unit of 4 Myrmourn banshees.
But it's a fun list.

I found a very interesting Scarlet Doom Nagash list which went 5-0 in Bristol a couple of weeks ago. Although I wonder what the Spirit Hosts contribute to the list without being able to protect Nagash:

– Procession: Scarlet Doom
– Grand Strategy: Show of Dominance
– Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead (955)*
Spirit Torment (115)*
– General
– Command Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
– Artefact: Lightshard of the Harvest Moon

Battleline
– Reinforced x 1
– Reinforced x 1
3 x Spirit Hosts (125)*

Units
2 x Chainghasts (95)*

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 74
Drops: 1

19 hours ago, Bayul said:

I found a very interesting Scarlet Doom Nagash list which went 5-0 in Bristol a couple of weeks ago. Although I wonder what the Spirit Hosts contribute to the list without being able to protect Nagash:

Easy to drop in if you put them into deep strike: Gives you an easy Desecrate their lands, Barge through enemy lines (scorable with 2 GV units here), or can bodyguard the spirit torment, screening, and even giving an extra charge debuff.  

Okay ghostly friends, trying some a bit different. I have a ton of old glade gaurd, thinking I'll cut their legs off, use some green stuff to make their cloaks a bit more ghosty and bam, craventhone guard. I know it'll never be a hyper competitive list but I'm trying to make the best I can out of a list built around them and suggestions would help.

Leaders
Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King (210)
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (340)
Dreadblade Harrow (145)
Awlrach the Drowner (175)
Knight of Shrouds (135)
- General
- Command Trait: Cloaked in Shadow
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist
Dreadblade Harrow (145)

Battleline
15 x Craventhrone Guard (345)
- Reinforced x 2
15 x Craventhrone Guard (345)
- Reinforced x 2
10 x Chainrasps (110)

Horrorghast (40)

The basic idea is two units of guard and the knight can pop up 9 away from the underworld, lady o uses spell teleport, kurdos catches a boat ride. 60 shots into their screens/support heros, then using the knight and harrows, both the guard and lady o can stand and shoot. Guard act as screens, so kurdos, lady O and harrows can really get stuck in.

23 hours ago, Rors said:

The basic idea is two units of guard and the knight can pop up 9 away from the underworld, lady o uses spell teleport, kurdos catches a boat ride. 60 shots into their screens/support heros, then using the knight and harrows, both the guard and lady o can stand and shoot. Guard act as screens, so kurdos, lady O and harrows can really get stuck in.

Which Procession? The Emerald Host?

I get why Kurdoss is in here but see no necessity for any other hero, despite a good Wizard. I would reduce the amount of heroes to 3 and bring the Black Coach. It can teleport into position and wait for the Craventhrone Guard to arrive from reserve. Then kill at least 6 models with your crossbows and let the Black Coach finish the unit off in the very same shooting phase.

I would ensure having a tough backline, your opponent might deepstrike too. You read my position about the Gaunt Summoner on Disc in the S2D thread yourself.

Kurdoss could take that role with one or two unit of Spirit Hosts to protect him.

If you can reorganise your list to end up with 3 heroes max and 5 units max and the Black Coach as Behemoth you could take the Battle Regiment detachment to have a 1 drop army and secure the first turn. It might look like this:

- Grand Strategy: Feed on Terror
Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Spirit Torment (115)*
- General
- Command Trait: Lingering Spirit
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind
Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King (210)*
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (340)*
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist

Battleline
15 x Craventhrone Guard (345)*
- Reinforced x 2
15 x Craventhrone Guard (345)*
- Reinforced x 2
3 x Spirit Hosts (125)*
3 x Spirit Hosts (125)*

Behemoths
Black Coach (335)*

Horrorghast (40)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1980 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 79
Drops: 1

• LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, Bayul said:

Which Procession? The Emerald Host?

I get why Kurdoss is in here but see no necessity for any other hero, despite a good Wizard. I would reduce the amount of heroes to 3 and bring the Black Coach. It can teleport into position and wait for the Craventhrone Guard to arrive from reserve. Then kill at least 6 models with your crossbows and let the Black Coach finish the unit off in the very same shooting phase.

I would ensure having a tough backline, your opponent might deepstrike too. You read my position about the Gaunt Summoner on Disc in the S2D thread yourself.

Kurdoss could take that role with one or two unit of Spirit Hosts to protect him.

If you can reorganise your list to end up with 3 heroes max and 5 units max and the Black Coach as Behemoth you could take the Battle Regiment detachment to have a 1 drop army and secure the first turn. It might look like this:

Yep, emerald. The idea behind the heros is to do some janky CP stuff. The knight can issue stand and shoot for free, then the harrows can copy it. So both cravengaurd and lady O can stand and shoot. Then if they're looked in combat I can give multiple units a 5+ ward.

The idea was basically the entire force sans the one chainrasp. Do some shooting damage and set up a castle in their face. Stand and shoot then all the heros charge in and fight. After that, hopefully enough damage has been done that the harrows and boat teleport to objectives. I don't think it's a competitive plan, just trying to get the most from craventhone.

I like the idea of coaches though. Super charging them turn one for a bunch of 3d3 mortals... Could be on to something with an alpha strike list.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got in one game this week playing with the leaked General's Handbook. I played a Nagash list (Nagash / GoS / ST / 1x30 Chainrasps/ 1x5 Hexwraiths/ 2x3 Spirit Hosts/ Cogs) against a weak OBR list on one of the new battleplans - can't say there's a ton of takeaways from that game, but here's a few:

- Nighthaunt are in a really good spot. Galletian Champions make a big difference for some battleplans and especially for battle tactics, and we've got loads of great ones to bring. 

- Movement will be key. I think Tunnel Master will be a great bonus for us to take. 

- Spirit Hosts and the Cruciator are still great, but no longer necessary. I didn't take the Cruciator and never once missed it in my game. Meanwhile, I took 2x3 Spirit Hosts (with a Torment and Guardian of Souls) and never once used their bodyguard ability. 

- A block of 30 Chainrasps can now act as a tarpit. Without bounty hunters, I was able to bog down 20 Mortek Guard and two units of 5 Deathriders while keeping my block close to full health thanks to my recursion. 

- Emerald Host can be great for sniping GCs

- The new realm spell has some nasty potential

I'll be playing 2 or 3 games next weekend with the leaked General's Handbook as well. Not sure what my list will look like yet. There's a lot I'm looking forward to trying out, so I probably won't be using Nagash again. Has anyone else got in any games with the leaked book yet? 

• 2 weeks later...

Can we talk about Nagash in GH 2023? Could he be a meta pick in Emerald Host to kill Galletian Champions? 

- Grand Strategy: Defend What's Ours
Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead (900)*
Spirit Torment (120)**
- General
- Command Trait: Lingering Spirit
- Artefact: Lightshard of the Harvest Moon

Battleline
20 x Grimghast Reapers (320)*
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Chainrasps (110)*
10 x Chainrasps (110)*

Units
20 x Bladegheist Revenants (360)**
- Reinforced x 1

Chronomantic Cogs (70)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
** Gallatian Command 

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 81
Drops: 2

5 hours ago, Bayul said:

Can we talk about Nagash in GH 2023? Could he be a meta pick in Emerald Host to kill Galletian Champions? 

Honestly, yeah I think Nagash might have juice this edition. I've played two games now, and The Emerald Curse does work, especially against small heroes. 

A 55 point reduction is large, the realm spell is a great tool in his arsenal, he can easily zap GCs with Arcane Bolts, he can teleport in Nighthaunt to grab objectives, Chainrasps are a better investment without bounty hunters being around; there's a lot to like about him.