AoS 3 - Nighthaunt Discussion

dmorley21

Made my Nagash up the other day so super excited to run him again on Thursday night. The last time I ran him must've been in 2019 back in Legions. Flogged my old one and accidentally bought him again. Anyone have any luck with him in NH? Know he's not the force he once was but always found running him fun. Plus, there'll be another 3 month period where he's OP again and I want to be ready for it. Gonna go for the following:

- Army Faction: Nighthaunt
     - Subfaction: The Scarlet Doom
     - Grand Strategy: Fright or Flight
     - Triumph: Bloodthirsty
LEADERS
Spirit Torment (115)*
Krulghast Cruciator (150)*
     - General
     - Command Traits: Master of Magic
     - Artefacts of Power: Arcane Tome
     - Spells: Lifestealer
Nagash (955)*
BATTLELINE
Bladegheist Revenants (350)*
Hexwraiths (160)*
Hexwraiths (160)*
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
1 x Chronomantic Cogs (40)
1 x Umbral Spellportal (70)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment
TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000

Think the list is pretty self-explanatory. The BGR push forward, buffed by all heroes. Horsies to protect the flank. 

I accidentally bought Nagash as well over Christmas.  I've only ever used him with Nighthaunt.  I preferred him in the previous book when he could cash reaping scythe on himself and become a combat monster.  He does get to use spectral tether now which is fun.

With most NH units being summonable he's great for bringing back models and boosting ward saves.  Your list is similar to mine.  

The main problem I find is that you only have the BGR as a fighting unit so you end up having to over-commit Nagash to target your opponent's key models.  He's just not survivable enough to last in combat or against strong shooting.

13 hours ago, Sutek said:

He's just not survivable enough to last in combat or against strong shooting.

Cheers for the advice - very much appreciated. I hear a lot about how easily killed he is. Really wish he could access a 6++. Daft that he can't. As it's a one drop, I'll aim to go first to get mystic shield on him. With All Out and finest hour that's a 2+, ignoring -2 rend, against normal damage and a 4++ against mortals. That's pretty good but I could still see something like Grave Guard still deleting him easily enough. 

13 hours ago, Sutek said:

Going first and getting shield up is important, but finest hour only helps in one turn.  My last game, I didn't use finest hour at the correct time and it cost me.

Definitely. That and the 4+ 4++ on the BGR pretty much all but convinces me I'll have to go first. I'm fairly certain he'll want to hit me hard and fast in his first turn as he'll be running SCE dragons. 

Edited by lare2

Hello, I am interested in building nighthaunt and luckily my store has the old "Court of the Craven King" christmas box. But I am not sure how should I make an 2k army out of that box.

Do I need more heroes? My store has awalach and lady o but I think I need some non-unique ones to give general trait. In that case what should I get?

Any help is appriciated and thank you in advance.

These are the contents if im correct.

- Subfaction: The Emerald Host
LEADERS
Kurdoss Valentian (210)
BATTLELINE
Chainrasps (110)
Grimghast Reapers (160)
Hexwraiths (160)
OTHER
Bladegheist Revenants (175)
Dreadscythe Harridans (160)
TOTAL POINTS: 975/2000
Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

On 9/10/2022 at 2:06 PM, lare2 said:
Spoiler

- Subfaction: The Scarlet Doom
     - Triumph: Bloodthirsty
LEADERS
Spirit Torment (115)*
Krulghast Cruciator (150)*
     - General
     - Artefacts of Power: Arcane Tome
     - Spells: Lifestealer
Nagash (955)*
BATTLELINE
Bladegheist Revenants (350)*
Hexwraiths (160)*
Hexwraiths (160)*
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
1 x Chronomantic Cogs (40)
1 x Umbral Spellportal (70)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment
TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000

Think the list is pretty self-explanatory. The BGR push forward, buffed by all heroes. Horsies to protect the flank. 

Made my Nagash up the other day so super excited to run him again on Thursday night. The last time I ran him must've been in 2019 back in Legions. Flogged my old one and accidentally bought him again. Anyone have any luck with him in NH? Know he's not the force he once was but always found running him fun. Plus, there'll be another 3 month period where he's OP again and I want to be ready for it. Gonna go for the following:

I love it. I actually just played this exact list and did remarkably well. I did put the BGR and Hex into Bounty Hunters. The ST had the Tome and the Cruciator had the Pendant.

Nagash and the ST brought back a lot of models. 

I played Realmstone Cache and wiped the Hallowheart list I faced. Nagash didn't die and dominated with magic, sat back and buffed the BGR with Shademist and Seal. When he did go in, he took out 20 Eternal Guard (over 2 rounds) Sisters of the Thorn, a Battlemage, a Sorceress and a few odd Greatswords and Crossbowmen with Spirit Drain.

I came up with the list because I wanted something that was fast to play and or had a low model count. What happened was that the only models to die were the Hexwraiths, and I was so upset that they did because Nagash was going to bring back 2 models in my hero phase if they survived... The 20 BRG stayed at full for most of the game.

I wish I recorded the game for my channel but I wanted to see how fast I could play.

Try it out. It was mega fun!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lare2 said:

Sounds like you had a great game! Did you have priority first turn? If you went second, how did you handle it? 

Being 6 drops and getting to choose was nice. I deployed to give away the turn and stayed the hell out of shooting range.

I let my opponent have the early lead as I didn't go for the center objective at all. I only got 4 pts on T1/2 combined. In fact, I held back until turn 3 when I basically went all in on him getting my battle tactic and both objectives. Once I did this, he wasn't able to handle the split so I wound up killing his army in halves.

T1 Desecrate - I couldn't do Against the Odds because I couldn't get the objective. The Hex got buffed with Shade and Seal and flew over into his backfield. Nagash held back, and everything was out of shooting range and couldn't be charged.

T2 - Eye for Eye - He sent all he had at those Hex and moved the rest of his forces into position to claim the middle... lol... I wiped his 20 Greatswords AND Handguners in return. Nagash took down most of the Eternal Guard, which he finished off in their T3.

T3 - I took Gaining momentum here. This was a risky choice because I needed to get Nagash onto the back objective. I also needed to Heroic Recovery/Lifestealer/Soul Stealer back to full health. He had a unit of 5 Sisters of the Thorn camped there and I knew that he was going to redeploy if I got close. I held Nagash 9" back and hoped for the long charge. Well, I got lucky... Nagash wiped them and my BRG killed his Frostheart Phoenix on the other objective. As always it was certainly momentum gained. Even if I failed the charge I get 1 pt and its a close game but I'm still wiping his army T5. Or in T4 if I got prio, which I did!

T4 - I had Against the Odds left to do so I took it for the easy score.

T5 - His army was wiped. If I needed a tactice I could have done Barge Through Enemy Lines

• Thanks 1

Cheers for the detailed feedback. I got the win last night with it. There were a few hairy moments. For example, failed to get Seal 1st turn on the BGR and he got them down to something like 1-2 models. Didn't kill them though and by the end of the game they were max strength. He probably killed their number 3 times over. The resurrection power in the list is nuts. I'm not 100% sold on Naggy mind. He was great fun but I just don't think he's tourney standard. His combat is so weak now as well. I couldn't even kill off a unit of libs with him. Star players, as always, we're Hex. They're just so good. 1 unit spent the game capping objectives, the other adding to WoT.

Edited by lare2
  • Like 1

I'm thinking about a Nagash and Krondspine combo. It leave you on a crazy small budget for the rest of the list but it's two very big problems for the opponent to deal with. Also, it means Nagash is casting on +4.

I'm thinking something along the lines of grieving legion and 20 grimghast, then some chainrasps and either cogs + life swarm or a spell portal.
In a one drop.

Shove 20 grimghast 9 inches from the line and teleport Nagash up behind them. Either unit can be sitting on a 4+ ward depending on what they try to deal with. Drop the chainrasp onto objectives.

I think it could just be threat saturation that's really hard to deal with. You're ahead in objectives, probably pinned in by grims, and there's two big resilient damage dealers just messing them up. It means you forgoe any screens for Nagash though.

I'll be trying the list this week.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are the videos of my list/batreps from the 3 game event I just went to.

Nighthaunt Nagash:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
- Procession: Scarlet Doom
- Mortal Realm: Chamon
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Spirit Torment (115)**
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Seal of Shyish
Krulghast Cruciator (150)**
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead (955)**
- Lore of the Underworlds: Spectral Tether

Battleline
20 x Bladegheist Revenants (350)
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)

Endless Spells & Invocations
Chronomantic Cogs (40)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Core Battalions
*Bounty Hunters
**Command Entourage - Magnificent

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 67
Drops: 6

Next time I'll try out this list:

Spoiler

- Procession: Scarlet Doom
- Mortal Realm: Chamon
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Spirit Torment (115)
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Lore of the Underworlds: Seal of Shyish
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead (955)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Spectral Tether

Battleline
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Hexwraiths (160)

Umbral Spellportal (70)

Core Battalions
*Bounty Hunters

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 71
Drops: 5

But I do want to try my list again with a Lightshard instead of the Pendant.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else been using ten man units of bladegheists and feel underwhelmed with their performance? They feel like they should perform really well in units of 10, but with coherency they only ever attack in one rank (5), which isn’t enough to do significant damage. With the new book using MSU is very advantageous, and these feel like they should be the go to for small damage dealing units, but for me they are far outclassed by grimghasts - being cheaper, battleline and attacking in 2 ranks. Disappointing as their warscroll and models make me really want to use them.

Edited by TechnoVampire

On 11/13/2022 at 2:41 PM, lare2 said:

They only really excel in Scarlet Doom, which turns them into GV and allows them to fight in 2 ranks. Shame that's probably disappearing in January. 

I didn’t think about the fact that scarlet doom allows them to fight in 2 ranks… that’s something worth considering, but yeah, a shame that it probably won’t be around for much longer with the new GHB. 

Edited by TechnoVampire

On 11/12/2022 at 7:48 PM, TechnoVampire said:

Has anyone else been using ten man units of bladegheists and feel underwhelmed with their performance? They feel like they should perform really well in units of 10, but with coherency they only ever attack in one rank (5), which isn’t enough to do significant damage. With the new book using MSU is very advantageous, and these feel like they should be the go to for small damage dealing units, but for me they are far outclassed by grimghasts - being cheaper, battleline and attacking in 2 ranks. Disappointing as their warscroll and models make me really want to use them.

I have found units of 10 to always disappoint unless it’s a smaller game or that’s all I’m running. A bigger block gets more into the combat, and is durable enough to take advantage of the various recursion abilities sprinkled throughout the army. 

Also, I really wouldn’t run Bladegheists outside of Scarlet Doom. Just not enough bang for your buck in my experience. 

• Like 1

@Rors You can't bind Krondspine to Nagash, unfortunately. Krondspine = unique enhancement, and therefore not applicable to unique characters.

On 9/10/2022 at 9:06 PM, lare2 said:

Made my Nagash up the other day so super excited to run him again on Thursday night. The last time I ran him must've been in 2019 back in Legions. Flogged my old one and accidentally bought him again. Anyone have any luck with him in NH? Know he's not the force he once was but always found running him fun.

I've been trying him in OBR and NH lately. 
In NH, here is the following list I've been using:

Spoiler

- Procession: Emerald Host
- Grand Strategy: Take What's Theirs
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead (955)*
Lord Executioner (140)*
- General
- Command Trait: Hatred of the Living
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Cado Ezechiar, The Hollow King (135)*
- Allies

Battleline
3 x Spirit Hosts (125)*
5 x Hexwraiths (160)**
5 x Hexwraiths (160)**

Units
3 x Fell Bats (75)*

Chronomantic Cogs (70)
Mortalis Terminexus (85)
Umbral Spellportal (80)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Bounty Hunters

Total: 1985 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 135 / 400
Wounds: 65
Drops: 3

Hexwraiths for movement tricks and board control: blocking my opponents' moves, redeploys, high mobility for scoring, killing some small units, etc. They don't necessarily kill a lot of stuff, but they do get the job done in BH: I previously played them in the Battle Regiment, but sometimes I was lacking that bit of damage to clean a unit of 5-10 GV in order to score some battle tactics. There are no 1 drop in our meta so 3 drops is enough to secure the choice of the first turn. Never disappoint!

Spirit hosts for bodyguarding the Exec & scoring proving grounds if need be, Fell bats for "bodyguarding" Cado, holding back objectives.

By putting 15-18" between every units, maximizing the unit coherency and conga lines, I can manage to deny deep strikes if need be. It also helps in protecting Nagash vs shooty units with a specific range. 

Damage dealers are Cado, Lord Executioner, and Nagash. Cado is craaaazy good. He is better in SBGL cause he gets to have a ward, but in NH he does the job as well. 135 pts is a bargain. Him and Lord Executioner are actually quite reliable as dmg dealers with small amount of ressources (all out attack & a finest hour in the turn you really want to dish out the mortals) and are not that a deal breaker if they die (even though the executioner is annoying as I lose the ability to cast mortalis terminexus). I mostly used them to score an Eye for an eye/Gaining momentum in killing stuff.

Cogs are mandatory for Nagash imho. Even with the increase in points cost.

Mortalis terminexus does decent damage if the enemy is packed, but mostly is used for healing: d3 wounds healed for every unit within 6". I can heal all my heroes and other units, if I pack them. Quite suprised by this endless!

Spellportal to manage big threats I can slay with Hand of dust, and forcing my opponent to "make mistakes": I want my opponent to make his movements by taking into account this issue, and force him into a mistake.

Emerald Host to finish some key targets I dealed dmg to thanks to Mortalis, or Nagash's arcane bolts, or something else...

Managed okeyish so far. All my games so far have been very tricky, but that's how I like it. No room for error, or small mistakes, for obvious reasons, Finest Hour have to be timed perfectly on Nagash, even his combat. Even if he can be quite tanky, he's not yolo as I've experienced it in a game vs OBR! :D

The army clearly lacks model, but is suprisingly tanky: 4+ ethereal armor save on everyone, meaning I can use all my All out Defenses on Nagash, I can stack multiple useful buffs (-1 to wound, 5++ ward reliably thx to Nagash), and as CP management I mostly use my CPs for Redeploy and the +1 to ward in combat with Nagash (and AOD depending on the matchup). 

I'm not relying on GV to scoring, so the Bounty Hunters battalion has literally no effect on my list. The list is not that easy to read at first, and can leave the opponent a bit surprised at first: Had it many times :D

Biggest nightmare? shooty lists. Our local meta is helping though, we don't have that many shooty lists. A Helon LRL (hugh...), a Thunder Lizard Seraphon with 1-2 Bastiladons (but the spellportal is there for this kind of threats), and a KO. 
Morathi is annoying too but I can handle her enough by blocking her movement and tarpiting her. 

*Against the odd/Desecrate their lands/Barge through enemy lines are quite ok to score in early game or late game. 
*An eye for an eye and This one's mine can be done by softening targets with Nagash and finish them off with the Lord executioner for the latter.
*Outmuscle, Tides of terror are an option.
*Gaining momentum is the most difficult one as it is mostly scenario independent, but can be realised.
*Head to head is impossible.

Small amount of models means the army is easy to transport and fast to play, leaving plenty of time to think my next moves! :D

• Thanks 1

*rises from the dead* Nagash called upon my soul. Read some pages back, lovely Nagash lists, sadly the one with the cogs from Lare is now overpriced because it’s more expensive to field cogs. The one with Cado and Fell bats i’d like to try.

@lare2 Loved your earlier Reikenor list, adjusted it a bit because the sun is more expensive, cut out a banshee unit and put in a terminexus for just absolute damage output. A sun and a terminexus running rampant is just pure destruction.

Army Faction: Nighthaunt
    - Army Subfaction: The Scarlet Doom
    - Grand Strategy: Pillars of Magic and Belief
    - Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADER

1 x Reikenor the Grimhailer (190)**
    - Spells: Shademist

1 x Guardian of Souls (150)***
    - General
    - Chill Blade
    - Artefacts: Pendant of the Fell Wind