AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

2 hours ago, Fuchur said:

Hi all,

any idea what we can do against DoK with lots of Bowsnakes and teleporting shadowstalkers?

I feel like the army has a big problem against heavy shooting armys in general.

Sadly, I think that's just an inherent weakness: any army that can reach over our speed bumps and target our squishy damage dealers is going to be pretty good against us. All you can really do is either take "noisy racket" against armies that rely on a turn 1 alpha to break your teeth to try and mitigate it, or against armies that shoot without needing LoS, or you take "covered in mud" and hope you roll enough successes to cover your Boltboyz so they can sprint into cover and be safe sniping until something comes close.

Lastly, you can try to offer them a distraction carnifex: a teleported mirebrute is an excellent sacrifice to keep a shooting army busy for a turn, maybe 2 if you roll fantastic or they roll poorly. If you're going first, the mirebrute can be even better if you get the charge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also just had another thought, though that goes for every opponent rather than just DoK or shooting armies: about 60% of victory, sometimes more, comes from sheer positioning, and Kruleboyz are more finicky about this than most of not all other factions. Against strong shooting armies you need to play aggressive because you can't outmaneuver them, against deepstrike heavy armies or ironjawz and other turn 1 megachargers you have to build a perfect castle, and so on. I find when I'm playing Kruleboyz, the time I take on my turn goes like this:

Hero phase: 10%

Movement phase: 50%

Shooting phase: 15%

Charging phase: 15%

Combat phase: 10%

Morale phase: 5%

The footwork of any given game is absolutely crucial and understanding both your and your opponent's limits on speed and such are equally so. It's a little rote to say that AoS is a game of positioning, but it really really is, especially when you're playing the delicate game of 9" blocking.

Even against shooting armies you have to keep ranges in mind when fighting them. Against blood stalkers, which have an effective 32" reach, you're outranged, and you really can't do anything about that except play with cover for the things that matter. Try and get aggressive when you can, which is admittedly hard considering our godawful speed.

Lastly, I'd consider Kruleboyz a super hardcore castle faction, that slowly walks its bunker up the board to the position it wants (hopefully on turn 2 if possible) and stay there, praying that the objectives don't suddenly move away from under the castle. Master that defensive style by setting up bunkers on your own and practicing movement with them to maintain coherency and properly setting up chump blockers so the enemy can't easily charge around and then pile into your Boltboyz. Maybe I'll make some crappy MS paint diagrams to show what I mean, after work. I hope at least some of my rambling is helpful to you guys!

Edited by Aztok
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I played some games last week using a skitterstrand ally. The arachnaroks suck in general but they are damn fine looking models. The rules for them may suck but it still makes your opponent think twice leaving a space in there backline for a spooky spider to crawl out of a realmgate. I found her very helpful for stealing objectives which would have been otherwise impossible for me to grab.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, W1tchhunter said:

I played some games last week using a skitterstrand ally. The arachnaroks suck in general but they are damn fine looking models. The rules for them may suck but it still makes your opponent think twice leaving a space in there backline for a spooky spider to crawl out of a realmgate. I found her very helpful for stealing objectives which would have been otherwise impossible for me to grab.

Sounds like a cool idea, what was the rest if your list like? The teleporting monster is awesome but a little pricey for me, but I'm curious.

1 hour ago, Aztok said:

Sounds like a cool idea, what was the rest if your list like? The teleporting monster is awesome but a little pricey for me, but I'm curious.

Big Yeller

WARLORD

Fungoid Cave Shaman

Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker (General)

Swampcalla

Boltboys x3

BATTLE REGIMENT

Killaboss on Gnashtoof

Boltboyz x3

Boltboyz x3

LINEBREAKER

Breakerboss on Trog

Rogue idol

Skitterstrand

HUNTERS OF HEARTLANDS

Hobgrots x10

Hobgrots x10

At 180 points the spider is pretty cheap imo. And I've wanted to paint one for sooooo long so with the price drop it felt right 😛

This is my girl.

20211231_165559.jpg

Edited by W1tchhunter
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

18 hours ago, W1tchhunter said:

Big Yeller

WARLORD

Fungoid Cave Shaman

Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker (General)

Swampcalla

Boltboys x3

BATTLE REGIMENT

Killaboss on Gnashtoof

Boltboyz x3

Boltboyz x3

LINEBREAKER

Breakerboss on Trog

Rogue idol

Skitterstrand

HUNTERS OF HEARTLANDS

Hobgrots x10

Hobgrots x10

At 180 points the spider is pretty cheap imo. And I've wanted to paint one for sooooo long so with the price drop it felt right 😛

This is my girl.

20211231_165559.jpg

Pretty!

Fellow Warbosses. I need some ideas.

Not interested in paying an arm and a leg for more Boltboyz (reason I haven't expanded beyond dominion). BUT... I have 2 halves, which mean I got 40 Hobgrots.

I wanna use them to make a 2 man shooting unit, think Skaven Jezzails. So 2 hobgrots, 1 weapon. Question is, which weapon? 

Had another game where I lost because I followed ABC too much. Instead of Always Be Charging, i should have played it safe even if it meant losing the forward initiative a bit. My Sludgeraker and pack of Gutrippaz charged into some fulminators and I did a grand total of 5 damage, what a disappointment. I even spent my poison buff on my Sludgeraker too and he couldn't do anything, after rolling nine 1s across his various attacks.

My damage against the dragons was great, I was knocking them over left and right, but I was falling behind on objectives so I tried pushing forward. Oh well, lesson learned.

Has anyone had experience building the Gutrippaz multi-part kit as spearman? I'm  curious how you got around the fact that the standard bearer doesn't have a spear option. Going by the RAW on the their warscroll, all models must be armed with the same weapon. I was thinking about just fixing a scare shield and classing the banner as a spear... after all, it does look pretty 'stikky'. 🤔

Anyone got any thoughts on this? 

8 minutes ago, Rotbinger said:

Standards and musicians are exempted from the WYSIWYG rule, they are assumed to be armed with the same weapons as the rest of the unit. You don't need to convert them with spears to be legal for matched play.

Edit: from the core rules:

"Command models must be represented by the appropriate Citadel Miniatures. They are assumed to be armed with the same weapons as the other models in the unit unless noted otherwise, even if they are not shown on the model itself."

Edited by umpac
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, umpac said:

Standards and musicians are exempted from the WYSIWYG rule, they are assumed to be armed with the same weapons as the rest of the unit. You don't need to convert them with spears to be legal for matched play.

Edit: from the core rules:

"Command models must be represented by the appropriate Citadel Miniatures. They are assumed to be armed with the same weapons as the other models in the unit unless noted otherwise, even if they are not shown on the model itself."

Brilliant! He's getting a shield to tie in with the unit, whether he likes it or not. 😉😂

1 hour ago, umpac said:

Standards and musicians are exempted from the WYSIWYG rule

Worth noting WYSIWYG isn't actually a rule anymore and hasn't been for a while. The command models section clarifies command models are equipped with the same gear as the other models in the unit but there's no WYSIWYG rule to be exempt from to begin with.

3 hours ago, Rotbinger said:

Has anyone had experience building the Gutrippaz multi-part kit as spearman? I'm  curious how you got around the fact that the standard bearer doesn't have a spear option. Going by the RAW on the their warscroll, all models must be armed with the same weapon. I was thinking about just fixing a scare shield and classing the banner as a spear... after all, it does look pretty 'stikky'. 🤔

That's what I did. I also made sure the guy got one of the extra knives from the kit, so he had a backup weapon he could use once he plants the standard in the corpse of a suitable enemy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rotbinger said:

gah i didnt even consider that... now im feeling bad for having him with an axe (although I noted and also agree with the ppl posting after that its not really a game mechanic issue). thing is though I went over my way to convert a regular spear dude to a banner dude (using some left over ogre flag as base) to make up for the fact that they were kind enough to leave the banner guy out of the dominion crew.... 

6 hours ago, Rotbinger said:

I cut the axe away from the shaft and on a spare bit cut the spear away from the gripping hand and boom my banner holds a spear in their left hand now.

dominion box I don’t believe has spare bits but the regular box has 2 or 3 if my memory serves me well so you could very well do the same

Edited by Sivyre

Hi

What is the best dommage dealer between (without swampcalla shaman) 2x3 Boltboyz / 1x6 Boltboyz plz ? I think it's the 2x3 because of the Boltboyz boss +1 att right ? 

Do you think it's interesting to go with something like 1 big 1x9 Boltboyz + 2x3 Boltboyz msu ? I was trying to play with only 1 swampcalla shaman.

Edited by Zorki

26 minutes ago, Zorki said:

Hi

What is the best dommage dealer between (without swampcalla shaman) 2x3 Boltboyz / 1x6 Boltboyz plz ? I think it's the 2x3 because of the Boltboyz boss +1 att right ? 

Do you think it's interesting to go with something like 1 big 1x9 Boltboyz + 2x3 Boltboyz msu ? I was trying to play with only 1 swampcalla shaman.

I'd say it can work but it will be a bit swingy. You're getting an extra attack but with so few dice involved your shots can be a lot less effective. Overall a big unit of 9 is a massive, massive target that everyone and their grandma will be gunning for, so plan appropriately. Otherwise 2 units of 6 will be a slightly safer bet, as the Swampcalla buff isn't necessary on Boltboyz, but it's nice.

Hi all,

made this list for a local tournament, what do you think?

- Army Faction: Orruk Warclans
     - Army Type: Kruleboyz
     - Subfaction: Big Yellers
LEADERS
Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast (315)*
     - General - Mount Trait: Fast Un
     - Command Traits: Supa Sneaky
     - Artefacts of Power: Mork’s Eye Pebble

Swampcalla Shaman and Pot-grot (105)*
     - Spells: Nasty Hex
Swampcalla Shaman and Pot-grot (105)*
     - Spells: Sneaky Miasma
BATTLELINE
10 x Gutrippaz (180)*
     - Wicked Stikka
10 x Gutrippaz (180)*
     - Wicked Stikka
9 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (360)*
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (240)*
BEHEMOTH
1 x Rogue Idol (430)*
OTHER
10 x Hobgrot Slittaz (80)*
CORE BATTALIONS
 -  *Battle Regiment
TOTAL POINTS: 1995/2000
Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

• Like 2

Hi,

One possible swap will be the rogue idol by one more Snatchaboss + add 3 more Boltboyz but ... You will loose your one drop bonus and going for 2 drops (double battle regiment).

I like the list but with the bonus to cast from the rogue idol i want to add Gobsprakk ... It's will change totaly the list but that's my feeling.

Edited by Zorki
  • Like 1