AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

Any thoughts on this list? Could have a Sludgeraker in their face with fire support turn 1?

Allegiance: Kruleboyz
- Warclan: Big Yellers
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast(315)**
- General
- Command Trait: Supa Sneaky  
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Gobsprakk, The Mouth of Mork (300)*
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot (105)*
- Artefact: Mork's Eye Pebble  
- Lore of the Swamp: Choking Mist
- Lore of the Swamp: Sneaky Miasma

Battleline
9 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (360)**
- Reinforced x 2
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (240)**
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Gutrippaz (180)**
10 x Gutrippaz (180)**

Units
10 x Hobgrot Slittaz (80)**

Artillery
Beast-skewer Killbow (130)**

Core Battalions
*Command Entourage - Magnificent
**Battle Regiment

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 125
Drops: 4

Edited by 5kaven5lave

So, is the general consensus we're better off building our Sluderakers as a generic Snatchaboss instead of as Scumdrekk? I finally picked one up, and I'm debating how to assemble him. Are the rider's torso parts relatively interchangeable? I'd kind of like to mix and match, to be honest. I love Scummdrek's helmet and weapons, but I prefer the generic's armor.

4 hours ago, Squark said:

So, is the general consensus we're better off building our Sluderakers as a generic Snatchaboss instead of as Scumdrekk? I finally picked one up, and I'm debating how to assemble him. Are the rider's torso parts relatively interchangeable? I'd kind of like to mix and match, to be honest. I love Scummdrek's helmet and weapons, but I prefer the generic's armor.

Usually, the generic seems better. Main reason is that you can give in the Amulet of destiny, so he's quite a bit more tanky, or you can give him the Egomaniak command trait for the same reason. Though, I think most people opt for Supa Sneaky instead. On top of that: the mount traits are good - especially fast 'un, in my opinion.

Generally, Skummdrek seems a bit stronger for just 5 points if you're unable to give items/traits to your Sludgeraker. Generally though, if you take a sludgeraker, you want to put the ward item/traits on it since it's a key piece in the army's damage output. 

That said, if you want to put traits and items on other units, for whatever reason, Skumdrek seems better. Or, if you are able to put two Sludgerakers in the army, the secopnd might as wel be Skumdrek - unless you want to put the amulet on one of them, and Egomaniak on the other. 

Magnetizing them to use both is very easy; only their torso's differ. If i recall correctly, magnetizing the Sludgeraker head is a bit harder because the piece are hollow, so you can't just drill out some plastic to put a magnet in it. But, I might be wrong there.

Edited by Abstract_duck

20 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Any thoughts on this list? Could have a Sludgeraker in their face with fire support turn 1?

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast(315)**
- General
Gobsprakk, The Mouth of Mork (300)*
- Lore of the Swamp: Choking Mist

Battleline
9 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (360)**
- Reinforced x 2
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (240)**
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Gutrippaz (180)**
10 x Gutrippaz (180)**

Units
10 x Hobgrot Slittaz (80)**

Artillery
Beast-skewer Killbow (130)**

Core Battalions
*Command Entourage - Magnificent
**Battle Regiment

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Wounds: 125
Drops: 4

The list looks good model wise, but I have some questions on what you intent to do with the super sneaky trait. Do you plan to teleport the sludgeraker? He packs a punch, but I wonder if you would get more damage if you kept him near your boltboyz to use his buff. If you want to teleport something at the back of your opponent lines the breakboss would be a better option. You could change a Gutrippaz for him.

Also, do you need the second artifact that bad? Putting the shamans on the battle regiment would give you a 2 drop list.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

The list looks good model wise, but I have some questions on what you intent to do with the super sneaky trait. Do you plan to teleport the sludgeraker? He packs a punch, but I wonder if you would get more damage if you kept him near your boltboyz to use his buff. If you want to teleport something at the back of your opponent lines the breakboss would be a better option. You could change a Gutrippaz for him.

Also, do you need the second artifact that bad? Putting the shamans on the battle regiment would give you a 2 drop list.

This is gold, thanks man. Will change for 2 drops and yeah, the Supa Sneaky is just to cover any deployment errors and nudge stuff about for ranges. Not had a go with Sludge-powered Boltboyz yet but would like to see it. 

• Like 1

Two question for the masters of the swamp.

I finally had a chance to read my Orruk battletome and it seems there are no unique enchantments for Orruks? Stormcast get Holy Command and Orruks have no similar rule? Or am I just failing to find it in a book?

Second question is what is the concensus for Killaboss on Corpse-rippa Vulcha? I am not seeing any talk regarding him online? The model looks really nice and I am thinking of getting it to have all three Killaboss variants, have other two from Dominion, but seem people only run Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast or Breaka-boss on Mirebrute Troggoth.

Thanks in advance

56 minutes ago, frenk_castle said:

I finally had a chance to read my Orruk battletome and it seems there are no unique enchantments for Orruks? Stormcast get Holy Command and Orruks have no similar rule? Or am I just failing to find it in a book?

Second question is what is the concensus for Killaboss on Corpse-rippa Vulcha? I am not seeing any talk regarding him online? The model looks really nice and I am thinking of getting it to have all three Killaboss variants, have other two from Dominion, but seem people only run Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast or Breaka-boss on Mirebrute Troggoth.

Thanks in advance

Sadly we got just the normal enchantment options (command trait, artefact, spells and mount trait).

About the Corpse-rippa boss, I hadn't used him myself yet  (thanks to the price of box), but I herd some people talk about him before. The "problem" with him is the killaboss problem in general, their most useful ability is fixing our units battleshock problem. If dealing with battleshock is all you need, getting the killaboss on foot is more than enought. Its is cheap and do what you need him to do, babysitting a unit.  The other versions offer a better damage output and move characteristic. If you want a mobile battleshock fixing bubble, the Gnashtooth version will do the job just fine. It has a 3 innate save, do some damage and the 10 movement cover a lot of ground. The Corpse-rippa version gives even more mobility (4" and fly), is a monster and some extra damage, but what really set him apart is he ability that let him issue a command that was already issued in a turn. Its something really interesting, but it's a little hard to control how useful this will be. A good deal of the most impactful command abilities are reactive (unleash hell, retreat), so while doing it twice when you need is good, chance are you not going to need it a lot most of the time.

So I would say that if you have the points for him, the command ability is probably his most interesting point. If you aren't interested in this ability, he ends in a place where he offer lots of things, but other units offer most of them for a cheaper price. Even a damage dealer that can threaten their back line isn't hard to replicate if you get the sneaky command trait and use it with a breakaboss or a sludgeraker. He becomes more interesting when you need to fill those roles but can't choose the other options. Like you need a back line harasser but want the command trait free to use another option, or you have the extra 60 points to upgrade him from a gnarshtooth.

3 hours ago, frenk_castle said:

Unique enhancements are pretty uncommon. Think of them as an extra battle trait an army gets. Stormcast get 2 battle traits at a time and a unique enhancement. Kruleboyz get 3 Battle traits. 2-3 battle traits plus sub-factions is pretty typical unless you're Gloomspite Gitz (who get one joke battle trait) or Lumineneth, who get 8-ish (albeit 5 are tied to keywords a unit generally doesn't get more than one of).

Edited by Squark

Any thoughts on running a Hero heavy list?

My only concern is not having enough bodies to sit on objectives, but then again Gutrippas tend not to live that long.

- Triumphs: Indomitable

Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast
- General
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot
- Lore of the Swamp: Da Black Pit
Killaboss with Stab-grot
Breaka-Boss on Mirebrute Troggoth

20 x Gutrippaz
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz
10 x Hobgrot Slittaz
10 x Hobgrot Slittaz

One idea is to drop a Breaka-Boss, Killaboss and Hobgrotz for a Gnashtoof which gives me enough points to add a unit of Gutrippaz. I've also had good success with Rippa's Snarlfangs in the past so they are always an option to swap for a unit of Hobgrotz.

Game plan wise the Break-Bosses move up the flanks whilst the unit of Gutrippas move up the centre supported by the Sluderaker and Killaboss. Boltboyz obviously lay down poisoned bolts on anything in target. One plan I've not yet had a chance to try (I've always been lucky enough to go second), is to Supa Sneaky the Breakaboss with Fast 'Un up front to get an early strike or diversion when the rest of my army moves up.

Anyone had any good results with Supa Sneaky?

On 12/14/2021 at 4:37 AM, wolyhammer said:

Any thoughts on running a Hero heavy list?

My only concern is not having enough bodies to sit on objectives, but then again Gutrippas tend not to live that long.

- Triumphs: Indomitable

Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast
- General
- Lore of the Swamp: Da Black Pit
Killaboss with Stab-grot

20 x Gutrippaz
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz
10 x Hobgrot Slittaz
10 x Hobgrot Slittaz

One idea is to drop a Breaka-Boss, Killaboss and Hobgrotz for a Gnashtoof which gives me enough points to add a unit of Gutrippaz. I've also had good success with Rippa's Snarlfangs in the past so they are always an option to swap for a unit of Hobgrotz.

Game plan wise the Break-Bosses move up the flanks whilst the unit of Gutrippas move up the centre supported by the Sluderaker and Killaboss. Boltboyz obviously lay down poisoned bolts on anything in target. One plan I've not yet had a chance to try (I've always been lucky enough to go second), is to Supa Sneaky the Breakaboss with Fast 'Un up front to get an early strike or diversion when the rest of my army moves up.

Anyone had any good results with Supa Sneaky?

This is my exact list. Except I use mannok da kunnin instead of a killaboss and a unit of grotts. Before I got my harrows deep I used your very list but because of the ranges of mannok and the dirty boys, it makes it easy to support the mirebrute whilst putting out a fair bit of damage and staying behind the brute plus the little missiles attacks can soften up stuff a bit and better help hold the side obj.

it’s plenty of bodies seeing KB play a castle style game.

in my case mannok and a mirebrute play the side objective and I screen with a unit of grotts for the castle and support the side group/obj with boltboyz if need be. Supa sneaky is great, but I use it to disrupt charges or protect boltboyz.

im sure some love to do it (sneaky, fast’un a mirebrute) but it feels like a wasted investment to only throw away a hero. Fast’un is great but I prefer the smelly’un on the sludgraker to add survivability to our key piece. 

I’ve played maybe 1 game with the sneaky and fast’un on a mirebrute and was far from impressed with that sort of investment. For me it’s better to either sneaky grotts for a cheeky screen or sneaky boltboyz to save em from some sort of cheeky strat usually in the case of moving them closer to my edge of the board to put them out of harms way from something or other. Now with that said you can be cheeky yourself because by having fast’un on a mirebrute doesn’t mean you have to go all in with it. What I mean is by having this option, it may cause your table mate to deploy differently (screening or fanning out deployment) to prevent such an instance and you can merely use your fast’un later when needed in the game and having the option to quickly move one somewhere else on the table is quite good in itself given their slow nature.

Edited by Sivyre
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sivyre said:

This is my exact list. Except I use mannok da kunnin instead of a killaboss and a unit of grotts. Before I got my harrows deep I used your very list but because of the ranges of mannok and the dirty boys, it makes it easy to support the mirebrute whilst putting out a fair bit of damage and staying behind the brute plus the little missiles attacks can soften up stuff a bit and better help hold the side obj.

it’s plenty of bodies seeing KB play a castle style game.

in my case mannok and a mirebrute play the side objective and I screen with a unit of grotts for the castle and support the side group/obj with boltboyz if need be. Supa sneaky is great, but I use it to disrupt charges or protect boltboyz.

im sure some love to do it (sneaky, fast’un a mirebrute) but it feels like a wasted investment to only throw away a hero. Fast’un is great but I prefer the smelly’un on the sludgraker to add survivability to our key piece. 

I’ve played maybe 1 game with the sneaky and fast’un on a mirebrute and was far from impressed with that sort of investment. For me it’s better to either sneaky grotts for a cheeky screen or sneaky boltboyz to save em from some sort of cheeky strat usually in the case of moving them closer to my edge of the board to put them out of harms way from something or other. Now with that said you can be cheeky yourself because by having fast’un on a mirebrute doesn’t mean you have to go all in with it. What I mean is by having this option, it may cause your table mate to deploy differently (screening or fanning out deployment) to prevent such an instance and you can merely use your fast’un later when needed in the game and having the option to quickly move one somewhere else on the table is quite good in itself given their slow nature.

Thanks! I'm starting to see some more uses with Supa Sneaky as you can pick Covered in Mud to work with it well when you need it.

I think you also highlight what's great fun about the Kruleboyz, you have a solid castle strategy, but there are also some great parts of your army that you can use to cause some diversions or sneaky tricks and you can easily change these to suit each army you face.

Has anyone got a second to post up the base size of a Sludgeraker please? Proxying a couple in for a tester game while I wait for mine to arrive.

EDIT: Going for this victory-or-death special:

- Grand Strategy: Beast Master
- Triumphs: Inspired
Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast (315)*
- General
Swampboss Skumdrekk (320)
- Lore of the Swamp: Nasty Hex
- Lore of the Swamp: Nasty Hex
9 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (360)*
- Reinforced x 2
9 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (360)*
- Reinforced x 2
10 x Gutrippaz (180)*
10 x Gutrippaz (180)*
3 x Rippa's Snarlfangs (70)*
*Battle Regiment

Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Wounds: 120
Drops: 2

Edited by 5kaven5lave

14 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Has anyone got a second to post up the base size of a Sludgeraker please? Proxying a couple in for a tester game while I wait for mine to arrive.

I remember it's exactly the same as a Stonehorn's base size, which is 120x92mm.

• Like 1

Sorry for the double post, but I had a couple great games over the last two weeks. Lost both of them, but they were super important learning experiences.

I used the same list both times, taken from Plastic Craic, as I wanted to try it out before making tweaks to it:

++ **Pitched Battle GHB 2021** 2,000 (Destruction - Orruk Warclans) [1,995pts] ++

+ Core Battalion +

Core Battalion: Battle Regiment

+ Leader +

Breaka-boss on Mirebrute Troggoth [180pts]: Fast 'Un

Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast [315pts]: Battle Regiment - 1 Commander, Egomaniak, General, Mork's Eye Pebble

Swampcalla Shaman and Pot-grot [105pts]: Battle Regiment - 0-2 Sub-Commander

+ Battleline +

Gutrippaz [360pts]: 20 Gutrippaz, Battle Regiment - 2-5 Troops, Musician, Reinforced, Standard Bearer, Wicked Stikka

Gutrippaz [360pts]: 20 Gutrippaz, Battle Regiment - 2-5 Troops, Musician, Reinforced, Standard Bearer, Wicked Stikka

Man-skewer Boltboyz [360pts]: 3 Man-skewer Boltboyz, Battle Regiment - 2-5 Troops, 2x Reinforced

+ Other +

Rippa's Snarlfangs [70pts]: Battle Regiment - 2-5 Troops

Shootas [140pts]: 20 Shootas, Bad Moon Icon, Battle Regiment - 2-5 Troops, Gong Basher, x3 Barbed Net

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance

Allegiance: Orruk Warclans

Kruleboyz: Big Yellers

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

My first game was against Soulblight Gravelords, he was running vyrkos with 2 20blocks of Graveguard 2handers, a block of 60 zombies and a block of 20, a pair of Vampire Lords, a Necromancer, and Mannfred. The mission was Tectonic Interference. The Alpha objective varied between Objective 3 (which was directly under a huge pile of zombies) and Objective 1 (which was under a huge pile of Gutrippaz). I spent the entire game killing and killing and killing, but at the end of every turn any unit I killed just came back at half size, and even 10 Grave Guard were chopping me to pieces. I just got ground down over the course of 3 turns, was a washout at the end of turn 4. Mannfred played super defensively, so I couldn't shoot him, but at the same time he couldn't bring his power to bear. Overall, super fun and I wish I spent more time targeting heroes, killing his necromancer would have been huge but he kept him far away from my power units.

Game 2 was against the best player I know, a Kharadron Overlords list with an Endrinmaster in balloon suit, a khemist as general, a navigator, a couple blocks of 10 company and a 20block of company, a frigate, gunhauler, and ironclad, and an allied Lord Celestant. The mission was Survival of the Fittest. That game was a complete failure from the word go, even with the most careful defensive play he picked me apart from the edges while dancing out of reach of my bows, then the lord celestant charged a flat 12 over my blockers into my archers to kill half of them and keep me completely occupied for the game. While frustrating to lose, it was an interesting game from a perspective that I basically couldn't reach anything he had unless I rolled perfectly, or he made a positioning mistake, and he didn't make a single one.

My final thoughts having played basically this exact list for about 6 games now is that I love the power the bows give but hot dang they're easy to bully. You have to defend them with everything you've got because the enemy is coming for them. I've absolutely adored the Troggoth Boss, but his damage isn't being as successfully utilized as I want, because everyone and their grandma sees a big dumb troll and wants to shoot him to death instantly. In fairness, three games ago he did oneshot Krondys on the charge, which was hilarious for both players. That all being said... I keep thinking about benching him in exchange for a Killaboss on Great Gnashtoof. The speed and protection from Battleshock might be the deciding factor, even if he is a little more vulnerable to mortals. I have a second list I'd like to try with the Breakaboss replaced by the Killaboss, the 9man bows split into 2 6man squads, dropping the Shootas but keeping the Snarlfangs as super-mobile blockers. Gotta say, those little wolf goblins are fast becoming one of my favorite little units just from how mobile they are. Lastly, I've been thinking of splitting one of the 20blocks of Gutrippaz into 2 10man squads, for better board presence, but the damage gets way, way worse. Any thoughts from you ladz?

I'd love to hear how you guys have been doing in games lately, I've been trying to get 2 games a week but everyone's busy for the holidays. What are your experiences with the Break-Boss vs. The Dogboss?

Edited by Aztok
Gosh darn autocorrect

45 minutes ago, Aztok said:

Sorry for the double post, but I had a couple great games over the last two weeks. Lost both of them, but they were super important learning experiences.

I used the same list both times, taken from Plastic Craic, as I wanted to try it out before making tweaks to it:

++ **Pitched Battle GHB 2021** 2,000 (Destruction - Orruk Warclans) [1,995pts] ++

+ Core Battalion +

Core Battalion: Battle Regiment

+ Leader +

Breaka-boss on Mirebrute Troggoth [180pts]: Fast 'Un

Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast [315pts]: Battle Regiment - 1 Commander, Egomaniak, General, Mork's Eye Pebble

+ Battleline +

Man-skewer Boltboyz [360pts]: 3 Man-skewer Boltboyz, Battle Regiment - 2-5 Troops, 2x Reinforced

+ Other +

Rippa's Snarlfangs [70pts]: Battle Regiment - 2-5 Troops

Shootas [140pts]: 20 Shootas, Bad Moon Icon, Battle Regiment - 2-5 Troops, Gong Basher, x3 Barbed Net

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance

Allegiance: Orruk Warclans

Kruleboyz: Big Yellers

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

My first game was against Soulblight Gravelords, he was running vyrkos with 2 20blocks of Graveguard 2handers, a block of 60 zombies and a block of 20, a pair of Vampire Lords, a Necromancer, and Mannfred. The mission was Tectonic Interference. The Alpha objective varied between Objective 3 (which was directly under a huge pile of zombies) and Objective 1 (which was under a huge pile of Gutrippaz). I spent the entire game killing and killing and killing, but at the end of every turn any unit I killed just came back at half size, and even 10 Grave Guard were chopping me to pieces. I just got ground down over the course of 3 turns, was a washout at the end of turn 4. Mannfred played super defensively, so I couldn't shoot him, but at the same time he couldn't bring his power to bear. Overall, super fun and I wish I spent more time targeting heroes, killing his necromancer would have been huge but he kept him far away from my power units.

Game 2 was against the best player I know, a Kharadron Overlords list with an Endrinmaster in balloon suit, a khemist as general, a navigator, a couple blocks of 10 company and a 20block of company, a frigate, gunhauler, and ironclad, and an allied Lord Celestant. The mission was Survival of the Fittest. That game was a complete failure from the word go, even with the most careful defensive play he picked me apart from the edges while dancing out of reach of my bows, then the lord celestant charged a flat 12 over my blockers into my archers to kill half of them and keep me completely occupied for the game. While frustrating to lose, it was an interesting game from a perspective that I basically couldn't reach anything he had unless I rolled perfectly, or he made a positioning mistake, and he didn't make a single one.

My final thoughts having played basically this exact list for about 6 games now is that I love the power the bows give but hot dang they're easy to bully. You have to defend them with everything you've got because the enemy is coming for them. I've absolutely adored the Troggoth Boss, but his damage isn't being as successfully utilized as I want, because everyone and their grandma sees a big dumb troll and wants to shoot him to death instantly. In fairness, three games ago he did oneshot Krondys on the charge, which was hilarious for both players. That all being said... I keep thinking about benching him in exchange for a Killaboss on Great Gnashtoof. The speed and protection from Battleshock might be the deciding factor, even if he is a little more vulnerable to mortals. I have a second list I'd like to try with the Breakaboss replaced by the Killaboss, the 9man bows split into 2 6man squads, dropping the Shootas but keeping the Snarlfangs as super-mobile blockers. Gotta say, those little wolf goblins are fast becoming one of my favorite little units just from how mobile they are. Lastly, I've been thinking of splitting one of the 20blocks of Gutrippaz into 2 10man squads, for better board presence, but the damage gets way, way worse. Any thoughts from you ladz?

I'd love to hear how you guys have been doing in games lately, I've been trying to get 2 games a week but everyone's busy for the holidays. What are your experiences with the Break-Boss vs. The Dogboss?

Guttripaz is what drags down the KB, far to much points with too little output without all the synergies needed to make them great. When you have all the buffs there fantastic but the fact they have a goofy scare tactic rule drives me mad. Also how I wish shamans would get the same treatment as hag queens.
I would much rather have to roll for the buff than have a restriction because of range. It’s this restriction that makes guttrippaz horrible to use and makes you want to lean into boltboyz because it’s just a given for them. 

I’ve had success, lots of success in fact with my lists. I run a single block of 20 guttrippaz and lean into 12-15 boltboyz, but I’ve been using 2 mirebrute because they are just so good at 180pts. It took a lot of rejigging my lists before I found one I was happy with and my early lists ran more guttripaz, that is until the unsettling realization that they just are not want the army needs/wants.

For now I pray the winter faq drops there points, I would be content with them being how they are if they were properly costed because as it is now, they feel like a tax. There real viability is just in the fact they are a block of wounds, but zombies are too for a heck of a lot less and can reanimate or be summoned back :/

Edited by Sivyre
Grammar/punctuation
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sivyre said:

Guttripaz is what drags down the KB, far to much points with too little output without all the synergies needed to make them great. When you have all the buffs there fantastic but the fact they have a goofy scare tactic rule drives me mad. Also how I wish shamans would get the same treatment as hag queens.
I would much rather have to roll for the buff than have a restriction because of range. It’s this restriction that makes guttrippaz horrible to use and makes you want to lean into boltboyz because it’s just a given for them. 

I’ve had success, lots of success in fact with my lists. I run a single block of 20 guttrippaz and lean into 12-15 boltboyz, but I’ve been using 2 mirebrute because they are just so good at 180pts. It took a lot of rejigging my lists before I found one I was happy with and my early lists ran more guttripaz, that is until the unsettling realization that they just are not want the army needs/wants.

For now I pray the winter faq drops there points, I would be content with them being how they are if they were properly costed because as it is now, they feel like a tax. There real viability is just in the fact they are a block of wounds, but zombies are too for a heck of a lot less and can reanimate or be summoned back :/

Interesting - my experience has been that the Gutrippaz are necessary from the perspective of keeping the enemy from steamrolling past them in one turn and going straight for the the Boltboyz. What are you using for blocking maneuvers? In the past I've run blocks of Shootas and Stabbas.

12 minutes ago, Aztok said:

Interesting - my experience has been that the Gutrippaz are necessary from the perspective of keeping the enemy from steamrolling past them in one turn and going straight for the the Boltboyz. What are you using for blocking maneuvers? In the past I've run blocks of Shootas and Stabbas.

If you just want them as a screen for the boltboyz Hobgrotz are probably better. You get the same amount of wounds for 20 points less if you take 2 units. The save and the damage they do is worst, but if you don't care about those factors (like if the gutrippaz are dying any way after the first charge they receive) they should do the job just fine.

21 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

If you just want them as a screen for the boltboyz Hobgrotz are probably better. You get the same amount of wounds for 20 points less if you take 2 units. The save and the damage they do is worst, but if you don't care about those factors (like if the gutrippaz are dying any way after the first charge they receive) they should do the job just fine.

I've considered that as well, perhaps a list with 20 GR, 40 HG, 2 squads of 6 MSBB, and then heroes to fill in around them? My meta is extremely deep-strike heavy, every other player either deep strikes, summons, or is so fast it's equivalent, so my number one fear is being charged by deep strikers because I didn't block off all angles with chumps perfectly. Have you guys had any experience with heavy deepstrike lists?

21 minutes ago, Aztok said:

I've considered that as well, perhaps a list with 20 GR, 40 HG, 2 squads of 6 MSBB, and then heroes to fill in around them? My meta is extremely deep-strike heavy, every other player either deep strikes, summons, or is so fast it's equivalent, so my number one fear is being charged by deep strikers because I didn't block off all angles with chumps perfectly. Have you guys had any experience with heavy deepstrike lists?

Sometimes I do but it’s not very frequently. If you know your opponent has deep strike you need to kind of bait it, our points are quite high so it’s difficult to prevent it by fanning our units and stop it from happening, so what I have done is used the grotts to limit their preferred deployment site and positioned the shamans in a way that they would be the targets. Shaman on average only adds 3 MW with their buff on 6 bolt boyz so to have to sac one to save your boltboyz is almost always the play. You can than just remove them from play in subsequent turns. This is one benefit to playing a 2nd mirebrute is this one goofball can usually single handedly remove the threat  while the 2nd one is still doing what you need from it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sivyre said:

Sometimes I do but it’s not very frequently. If you know your opponent has deep strike you need to kind of bait it, our points are quite high so it’s difficult to prevent it by fanning our units and stop it from happening, so what I have done is used the grotts to limit their preferred deployment site and positioned the shamans in a way that they would be the targets. Shaman on average only adds 3 MW with their buff on 6 bolt boyz so to have to sac one to save your boltboyz is almost always the play. You can than just remove them from play in subsequent turns. This is one benefit to playing a 2nd mirebrute is this one goofball can usually single handedly remove the threat  while the 2nd one is still doing what you need from it.

Oh man, I hadn't considered that. The shamans are sweet but you make a very good point. Losing the one shammy is way less impactful than losing the whole squad of archers. What about running one Killaboss and one Mirebrute? One for offense, one for utility and defense? Or is it better in your opinion to skip the Killaboss entirely for more mirebrutes?

1 hour ago, Aztok said:

I have form times to times, for those situations I think the hobgrotz are your best choice. Cheap units are the best to protect against deepstrike as they can deny space in your territory. Having 4 units of hobgrotz should be enough to bubble wrap your boltboyz and other important pieces. This area denial + the placement tips @Sivyre said above should help fight those deepstrikers!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aztok said:

Oh man, I hadn't considered that. The shamans are sweet but you make a very good point. Losing the one shammy is way less impactful than losing the whole squad of archers. What about running one Killaboss and one Mirebrute? One for offense, one for utility and defense? Or is it better in your opinion to skip the Killaboss entirely for more mirebrutes?

My list doesn’t play a KB, the army isn’t heavy on command abilities so you can just use CP to prevent battle shock, so saving those points helps me to play 2 mirebrutes and mannok da kunnin on a 4 drop.

Mannok, since this 15 wound block has every single buff your army can be givin is self sustainable with missile attacks play the side obj with a mirebrute along with bolt boyz positioned to support them or the castle. In my experience it’s difficult for opponents to chew through mannok and a mirebrute with boltboyz support when you consider it’s only 350 point on the side.

model count in 3.0 is low so I tend to find only my groups SGBL player will challenge this given that they can summon back what’s lost later on. But he finds he has to commit to much and still has difficulty taking it back. They have yet to beat me but they continue to try new tactics as right now I am their kryptonite.

2nd mirebrute is deployed where I think I will need him along with the grotts. Screen/area denial/ with the castle/ etc. mire brute doesn’t ever take buffs from the army except from a sludgeraker on a limited scale so I don’t care if I miss this buff and grotts are just fodder and they go where I need them to go die.

If I could fit a 2nd group of grotts I would, I used to play 2 x 10 and it felt good to have 2 screens. At times it’s not necessary but the points arnt lost, and I don’t think I would ever go more than that. 10 can spread across a good bit of tabletop using the dumbbell method which is why losing my second screen isn’t terrible.

sorry for big post, just trying to share some of my experiences and tendencies I’ve come across.

Edited by Sivyre
  • Like 1

20 points reduction would allow me to have another unit of Hobgrots in my list. Definitely a game changer 😅 

Sorry for my sarcastic reply, but point changes are super unimportant compared to warscroll changes. A 4+/3+ attack profile  would make them so much better - would make you stop just fishing for mortals.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1