AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

2 minutes ago, MotherGoose said:

I'm not really sure that should come into it - khorne have korghus who is good outside of goretide and has just the single locked ability, plenty of unique characters that don't have locked abilities or factions and have 40+ warscrolls as well as (not)endless spells. I don't think a faction should be punished for having variety.

My point is more that for small factions like OBR it's not really an option to have heroes be (soft) faction locked, because list variety is already lower. In an army with a lot of warscrolls, it's a design choice you can afford, so to speak, because generic options are available.

I guess the designers wanted to have a middle ground between Legions of Nagash (named characters being completely faction locked) and Soulblight 2nd ed (Belladamma and Mannfred in every list of every subfaction). Personally, I think most of the unique characters can still function decently in subfactions other than their own, but obviously reward playing them "on theme".

Not to say you are wrong for wanting them to be more cross over friendly, though. I totally get that desire.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

My point is more that for small factions like OBR it's not really an option to have heroes be (soft) faction locked, because list variety is already lower. In an army with a lot of warscrolls, it's a design choice you can afford, so to speak, because generic options are available.

I guess the designers wanted to have a middle ground between Legions of Nagash (named characters being completely faction locked) and Soulblight 2nd ed (Belladamma and Mannfred in every list of every subfaction). Personally, I think most of the unique characters can still function decently in subfactions other than their own, but obviously reward playing them "on theme".

Not to say you are wrong for wanting them to be more cross over friendly, though. I totally get that desire.

Yea I get that, at least with the big dudes (nef, man, vhord etc.) They are decent on their own and could see play in other factions, just a lot worse.

Poor old little guys like gorslav and torgillius are straight up unusable now outside vyrkos (which is still my favourite, so not THAT bad for me personally), but I love the models and would enjoy using them in other factions. I guess torgillius is an easy necro stand-in on a slightly bigger base.

It also sort of means if you want to try out multiple unique characters (let's be honest vyrkos is the main thing I'm talking about here as they just have so many), then you have to keep running the same Legion just to try out different characters. Some of us only get to play once a week, month or whatever, so it's a bit lame to almost HAVE to be vyrkos over and over to try out certain characters, whereas before they could easily be tested in other Legions even if they were slightly better in their own.

Also how do you do bold and italic text? I don't like using caps all the time lol

18 minutes ago, MotherGoose said:

Yea I get that, at least with the big dudes (nef, man, vhord etc.) They are decent on their own and could see play in other factions, just a lot worse.

Poor old little guys like gorslav and torgillius are straight up unusable now outside vyrkos (which is still my favourite, so not THAT bad for me personally), but I love the models and would enjoy using them in other factions. I guess torgillius is an easy necro stand-in on a slightly bigger base.

It also sort of means if you want to try out multiple unique characters (let's be honest vyrkos is the main thing I'm talking about here as they just have so many), then you have to keep running the same Legion just to try out different characters. Some of us only get to play once a week, month or whatever, so it's a bit lame to almost HAVE to be vyrkos over and over to try out certain characters, whereas before they could easily be tested in other Legions even if they were slightly better in their own.

Also how do you do bold and italic text? I don't like using caps all the time lol

I suppose that is Vyrkos' new identity: Multiple small heroes. They definitely do that playstyle better than anyone. In a way I think it fits their theme better than being the magic subfaction, but yeah. It's a new direction.

There should be a formatting tab above the text entry box when you write a post. On desktop, anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotherGoose said:

That makes it feel a little less annoying, but bonereapers who come out at the same time as us have special characters with subfaction keywords who can buff everyone and don't have locked abilities.

Only Katakros. Zandtos unique CA is Mortis Praetorian only and Arkhan is factionless (and he doesn’t provide any buff).

Edited by Flippy

25 minutes ago, Flippy said:

Only Katakros. Zandtos unique CA is Mortis Praetorian only and Arkhan is factionless (and he doesn’t provide any buff).

Volkmortian too, a factionless amazing hero like arkhan would be awesome - but I guess that would change the whole direction of our book. I'm happy to be 'forced' into certain factions depending who I want to use if it means we keep multiple abilities/heroic actions/monstrous actions rather than most other books that just get a single ability for the army.

Edited by MotherGoose

1 hour ago, MotherGoose said:

That makes it feel a little less annoying, but bonereapers who come out at the same time as us have special characters with subfaction keywords who can buff everyone and don't have locked abilities.

Yeah, I know KOs have the same problem.
We only have 2 named characters, and both of them are tied to a subfaction /sadface

I think if I was playing LOB my list would look something like this: 

VLOZD 440 (general)

Neferata 390

20 x GG 280

20 x GG 280

3 x Black knights 330

V- lord 130

Wight king 135

Although I’m not sure how long GW will allow an ethereal VLOZD with 16 wound 3+ 6++, extra attacks, hitting (chosen units) on 2’s and healing up to 6 wounds a turn… but enjoy it while it lasts! 😆 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

But Bonereapers also have 19 warscrolls, not 47.

I think this is part of it, but more specifically that Soulblight are I think the only book that has special character(s) for every sub-faction, which means you always have access to at least one special character that works with your army, whichever bloodline you go with. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I guess the designers wanted to have a middle ground between Legions of Nagash (named characters being completely faction locked) and Soulblight 2nd ed (Belladamma and Mannfred in every list of every subfaction).

I think this is a big part of it for sure. GW has been known to design in response to the reception of previous books or units, and I don't think I saw a single netlist without at least two of Mannfred, Belladama, Neferata and Vhordrai for ages.

Beyond hype for the new book. SO much depth to our roster now, pretty much not a single garbage unit in the whole book apart from a couple of odd Cursed City ones. All the blood lines feel distinct and very playable, and I'd go further and say that all of them could build at least a couple of solid competative lists. Wont be the first to say the LoB is so solid now, some excellent artefacts such as the amulet of screams are rad. Big blocks of 15 black knights gonna be wicked to run. LoB is great now they have lifted what used to be Mannfred only rules and given those to previously under used units such as the VLoZD. I mean, really, I've tried to pick it apart but it is just flat out better than it was previously and feels like a book which is going to stand up well for a good few years to come. VERY happy. 

• Like 1

I had two 1K test games today.

The first was a Vyrkos list with

2x Black Knights

1x Blood Knights

1x Vyrkos Bloodborn

1x Vamp Lord - Phylactery, Spirit Gale

1x Wight on Steed - General

20x Skellis

won at the bottom of 2 vs Stormcast (he failed 80% of his armour rolls xD)

Game two:

Kastelai

VloZD 

2x Blood Knights

close defeat since I forgot their +1 dmg buff due to killing his Annihalators which killed my Lord x_X

the book feels solid so far, though 3/4 of the Battle Traits didn’t have any effect for my second list.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TechnoVampire said:

I think if I was playing LOB my list would look something like this: 

VLOZD 440 (general)

Neferata 390

20 x GG 280

20 x GG 280

3 x Black knights 330

V- lord 130

Wight king 135

Although I’m not sure how long GW will allow an ethereal VLOZD with 16 wound 3+ 6++, extra attacks, hitting (chosen units) on 2’s and healing up to 6 wounds a turn… but enjoy it while it lasts! 😆 

My first LoB list would look something like this

VLoZD with lance and Vile transference (general) 440

VloZD with sword and flaming weapon 440

Neferata 390 

Mounted Wight King 160

5x Black Knights 550

If I feel like I need some more bodies to screen, then I can swap one BK unit for Dire wolves, or Zombies.

• Like 1

So I’ve got my conversion to units for count as Barrow Kings. Only units I need sorted are Simulacra (living statues) and Embalmed ones (non Egyptian mummies). I think trueblades could make for a good rep on the Mummies with their strike last as a “curse”.

It’s really about finding the right unit to represent them, open to suggestions.

VLZD - barrow king on sky chariot
Wight king - barrow king
M. Wight King - m. barrow king
Necro - shadow druid

Deathrattle - as is
Black knights - unquiet horsemen
Grave guard - barrow guardians

Vargskyr - tomb stalker
Vargheists- gargoyles
Terrorgheist- winged nightmare

Trueblades Valmorn or Exiled dead - embalmed ones

Bloodborn or velmorn? - Simulacra

I need some help.

I am trying to write a list for a 1500 points team game.
However, I don't want to field one of the new obvious power-lists. (VloZD in Blood etc.)
The issue is: I am stuck, I always want to add 2x Black Knights an one Wight King on Mount X_x...
I could build a fun Vyrkos list, yet I wonder what the other Legions (except Avengorii) have to offer.

Any suggestions!? (I own every Model except Lilly Volga & Lady Annika, so Models are no issue)

Hey, i have a rule question. Our new LoB Comman Traid sais: "...Attacks made with meele weapons that target that unit score a hit on an unmodified hit role of 2+..." This mean even if my unit is debuffed with a -1 to hit it will always hit with every 2+. Is that assumption correct?

@JackStreicher I only played the new Vyrkos which was fun but no suggestions in regard of other legions.

Just now, J4yzor said:

Hey, i have a rule question. Our new LoB Comman Traid sais: "...Attacks made with meele weapons that target that unit score a hit on an unmodified hit role of 2+..." This mean even if my unit is debuffed with a -1 to hit it will always hit with every 2+. Is that assumption correct?

I would say this is correct.

53 minutes ago, J4yzor said:

It is correct, because "-1 to hit" effects modify the hit roll (so counting a roll as a 3 when you roll a 4, for instance) but with that trait, unmodified rolls of 2+ always hit, so how the hit roll was modified doesn't matter.

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Or Cruise Missle Dragons without Vampire.

That could be difficult. You still need to get the target within 3" of the general, it isn't a battlefield wide trait. And unless you are taking something like a Wight King on Skeletal Steed, you're unlikely to have a general mobile enough and with a small enough base for draconic cruise missiles. Maybe a Vengorian, but then you're still committing two monsters into a relatively small space.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TechnoVampire said:

@Neil Arthur Hotep I meant to comment from your picture before, that it looks like you have the necrosian scenery from dark fantastic mills? I’ve been eyeing it up for a while. Would you recommend it?

That's exactly what it is!

Personally, I am satisfied with the quality. It is 3d printed plastic. Mine had only very minimal print errors (small stray buts of filament, kind of like flashing on a plastic cast) which were easily cleaned up.

My biggest gripe with the set is that the layer lines are pretty significant. That makes it hard to use washes on them if you don't sand them down. The printers at Dark Fantastic Mills might be better now, though, I bought my terrain from them 3 years ago or so.

20230412_183453.jpg.92f878f9691a6afe487ae764bd1f5bdc.jpg

20230412_183502.jpg.cef7429d9b619f8d0f0868cb6a38bfaa.jpg

20230412_183522.jpg.bd286a7fd9c45669d55cb87b84a4d3fe.jpg

Otherwise, no real complaints. The terrain is rugged enough that you can just throw it into a box and go. It is very gameable, with lots of room for miniatures to stand on top, although that makes it look somewhat large in the table compared to 28mm miniatures. For what it's worth, I like the set enough that am considering buying a few more pieces of it once I get a proper home gaming table together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1