[Survey] How do you feel playing the same army that your gaming partner ?

[Poll] How do you feel playing the same army that your gaming partner   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think you should avoid if possible to play the same army that your gaming partner ?

• Yes, I don't like mirror matches and I think it's more fun with regards to the lore and gameplay to play different armies
    • No I really don't mind if my friend play the same army as I do

I don't really mind mirror matches, but all the two armies I play are kind of well known for their infighting. Gloomspite and Orks aren't know for their unity. We'll throw down on whether red or blue is the better color for our pants (it's red you git).

For example at my local shop there are at least 3 other Ork players I know about, but we all get a kick out of Ork vs Ork shenanigans. I assume that all the Loyalist Space Marines don't find the same fun, but I can enjoy mirror matches. The AoS community at my place is small and diverse, I don't think they have any mirror matches.

I think the question should be graded out a bit. 

I mean do I enjoy a literal 1-for-1 clone of the army I am playing?  Yes, if part of a teaching game which is how I often facilitate them if I am also providing both armies (usually by breaking mine into two smaller clone armies).  Otherwise, not really.

Do you mean the same faction and subfaction, but both armies aren't exactly the same?  Again, not really as most subfactions draw upon certain units to be a sort of signature unit and therefor common in such a list.  However, depending on the player they can still be a lot of fun.

Do you mean same Faction but different subfactions and usually different models?  I see no issue at all with that as many of the larger factions can feel very different making use of differing subfactions.  The core of my gaming group (which mostly play 40k type games) funny enough all have a Tyranid force for Kill Team with all of 4 us independently picking different Hivefleets.  Even more strange, is we each also have a Chaos Space Marine army for full 40k, and once again, none of them are the same traitor legion or focus on the same CSM units.

Heck, 3 of the 4 of us have Chaos armies in Age of Sigmar, and again none of us have the same Chaos allegiance.  I stick with Chaos Undivided with my Slaves to Darkness, the player that convinced me to play AoS plays Disciples of Tzeentch and the last player has Blades of Khorne. 

The point is, my core gaming group are fairly like-minded as we all have many of the same factions.  However, each of us approach miniatures war gaming and army building from different directions.  So our armies look pretty different even if they are the same faction.  Especially since subfactions exist in both Age of Sigmar and Warhammer 40k. 

Even outside my core group to the wider player-base at the store I will eventually return to playing at when the pandemic ends have  players with  40k armies in the same basic color scheme/subfaction as my four 40k armies.  Only my custom space marine chapter (which look like the Raptors Chapter (Olive Drab) is different in rules (but not color scheme) since it is a custom chapter.  I suspect that my Slaves to Darkness (default black and gold) isn't the only one.  I know there are a few Lumineth players, but I am fairly certain I am the only Ymetrica player.

• Thanks 1

I don't even like it being two different armies from the same Grand Alliance. My brother has recently taken to Nighhaunt and has actually purchased additional units for my army that I did not want so he can use them against my Grand Host! 

He doesn't see a problem but it just really irks me as Death is probably the one GA where you wouldn't (yet) get infighting.

My greenskins dont mind bashing some other greenskin face. 

I dont think any 2 armies are the same so i dont really care about that.
Maybe i'll ask if the characters could be different for fluff sake in a friendly game.
I do appreciate people that make their army look a bit different.

On 3/15/2021 at 9:04 AM, El Syf said:

I don't even like it being two different armies from the same Grand Alliance. My brother has recently taken to Nighhaunt and has actually purchased additional units for my army that I did not want so he can use them against my Grand Host! 

He doesn't see a problem but it just really irks me as Death is probably the one GA where you wouldn't (yet) get infighting.

While all ultimately united under Nagash, there is fighting between forces of Death all the time as various vampires & necromancers compete for power within the overall structure. OBR would be the ones without infighting, but in their case justifying it as a training exercise does make some sense.

OBR are basically immortal so a training exercise could have both side really go all out. When its all done they could just pick up the pieces and be back to full strength.  If you don't like training exercise on the principle of not having enough stakes, one could see it as a duel between generals fighting for Nagash's favor in an upcoming campaign. Winner leads both armies, while the lose becomes his horse or something.

Personally mirror matches happen so rarely for me that I revel in the chance one happens. Its great talking with someone who share interest in the same army.