Drakespawn Knights

Not-not-kenny

So I've been itching to make a cavalry heavy Cities list that doesn't revolve around demigryphs and I really want to put some drakespawns in there (probably using historical cavalry minis) but as we all know by now they are for some reason absolutely atrocious. My question is, does anyone else feel like this is just a weird mistake that GW just haven't bothered correcting? I mean, as far as I know they're literally the only heavy cavalry unit in the game where the riders only have one attack each. And would giving them an extra attack be what they need to bring them in line or do they need something more?

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I think they're now at a points value where they are worth taking - I've used my old Dragon Blades as them.  They are not bad on the charge with the Dreadlord's CA and are fairly durable, esp in Tempest Eye where they are on a 2+ save In the first battle round (rerolling 1s with Mystic Shield).  They offer a different role to the Demi-gryphs, and it's nice to have the choice.

I've run a block of 10 Knights in Har Kuron a few times now. They are more of a mobile anvil than a hammer. Their design is also a bit off: With their 3+ save they lend themselves to grinding down a foe but their lances only do any noticeable damage on the turn they charged. They would be better if they had the option for a sword - something like 2 or 3 attacks 3+/3+/-1/1. That way they could grind down opponents. 

As they are now they are best used to anchor a flank. Use them to secure an objective or threaten flanks. They won't wipe most units on their own but they can tarpit most things. Just don't expect them to kill a lot.

• Like 2

Bear in mind: you will find a lot of opinions they are utterly unusable, that were all true at the time of writing because originally, they were 50 points more expensive. A lot of their bad name comes from that time, now they are perfectly usable.

However, there's another thing that makes people dislike them: They are being mistaken for a shock cavalry. And (and honestly, that's pretty strange, design wise) despite being knights with lances, riding monstrous mounts, they sure as hell aren't one.

In Order Serpentis, being killy on the charge is a job for chariots and dragons. Knights are basically ironbreakers, but twice as fast and with some hitting power on charge. If you treat them like what they are, a surprisingly mobile anvil that can potentially be buffed to remove some chaff from an objective, there are no reasons to complain about them.

• Like 1

I think the biggest issue with the Drakespawns is their lack of possibilities for improvment. Especially if you compare them with the ironbreakers.

Yes, Knights are faster, but the Ironbreakers can be buffed with 2 differents (and cheaps) heros. And the buffs are good because they can served the function of the ironbreakers: more attacks, more tankiness, more rend...

The only Hero with a command hability usefull for the Knight is the Lord on dragon, with a pretty poor buff for a tanking unit. I think they need a Dreadlord on cold one or on food to become more interesting.

Of, course, I don't speak of the cities you can choose for I'm trying to be objective be focusing on the warscrolls only.

(I hope my english is not too bad by the way 😀 )

At the moment I am using a 10 strong Drakespawn Knights unit with a Dreadlord on Dragon and a Knight-Azyros in my Hammerhal list alongside a Hammerhalian Lancers battalion and some Freeguild Guard With +1 to hit and wound from the dreadlords command ability and the Twinstone they did a good job in the last few games.

• 1 month later...