Soulblight Battletome Wishlisting 2020

El Syf

Yeah, I'd also be ok with undead taking a few L's and stepping back for a bit.  Gripes about rules & release waves not withstanding, Nagash's win streak has been plenty impressive since malign portents.  Sure it's all been contested - Skaven messed up the great work enough that Nagash couldn't just eat Shyish whole and punch the chaos gods to death outright, but the resulting n4vroquake flipped shyish, gave nagash a huge power reserve, a new massive incorporeal warhost, spread death magic & undead plagues throughout the realms, disrupted the ability of other gods to revive their slain champions, and revealed katakros's location.  Yes, the nighthaunt warhost failed to conquer Lethis, but they devastated it and succeeded in their mission of freeing katakros.  With Katakros at their command the ossiarch legions established footholds accross the realms, even in the Allpoints, which had been the undisputed domain of Archaon since the dawn of the Age of Chaos.  Katakros may not have taken the Varanspire 8n his first attempt, but Gothizzar and the Death gate remain in undead hands, while in the entire realmgate campaign the Stormcasts failed to take even a single gate, at best merely closing a few of them off.

Objectively speaking, the Soul Wars have been victory on victory for Nagash, who has dramatically reshaped the Realms in his own image.  And while as a Death player itps been a fun ride, especially after Nagash basically sat out 1st edition and the Realmgate Wars altogether, I can't say it isn't someone else's turn to win a little.

• Haha 1

Oh boy this gets my cold, dead heart beating again! Vampire Counts were my very first army back in WHFB and my entry to this wonderful hobby. I wouldn't have dared to hope that my old love will actually get a update like this!

My whislist/speculation:

-Neferata & Manfred get their new home here. Both getting some buffs to their warscroll would be sweet.

-The old zombie minis finally get burried and STAY in the dirt and we get some sweet new zombie models! I would love to see zombies from other races, such as undead Orcs etc. Skeletons are fine and timeless but since this is whislisting I want them redone just because they are such a PAIN to assemble. Seriously, they are so fiddly!

-New Direwolves and Bats. 

-Bloodlines/Families. This will be our equivalent of Clans/Subfactions. Would be awesome if we got a specific hero for each Bloodline but I doubt it. Also the Bloodlines might unlock different allies akin to the "1 out of 4 can be from faction X" that CoS hat. Necarch would unlock Nighthaunts, Strigoy would unlock FEC etc.

-Black Coach will be available and gets some buffs to its warscroll.

-New Bloodknights!

-Buff to the Coven Throne.

-Buffs to Vargheists. Varghulf will be gone since the model is so ancient and I can't really see it getting a new model. 

My wishlisting for my boys&girls in blood red:

-New bloodknights: Seriously... please. Plastic bloodknights. I would be happy with just this. Ideally mixed gender head options (maybe even an elven head or two, why you only get humans as vampires in aos?)

-New zombies would be cool: I like the current kit fine and I'd be dissapointed if a new kit was just all humans again. Mixed race zombies would be amazing, also I'd love to see what sort of AoS peasant clothing they gave them 

-Make zombies worth taking over skellies / other battlelines: Sure they can be kinda buffed but a large horde should be at least kinda scary and not just a saveless speedbump.

-Hero corpse cart option?: For full zombie themed armies.

-Better warscroll for vampire lords: They really should be capable in combat, not just kinda squishy and mostly there for providing buffs.

-Give the coven throne and bloodseeker palaquin more support/utility options. And make those options useable! (Sorry palanquin but you aren't currently killing much to toss out your buff)

-Fun and themely battalions

-Make Neffy and Manfred scarier: Don't care if you have to make them more expensive. Make them worthy of their mortarch titles.

-Dont nerf vlord on dragon: Please, leave my baby alone. It's fine.

-At least one subfaction focused on vampires.

-Also more vampires (like thrall foottroops or smth): I wanna be able to field a vampire heavy army, not just one on a dragon and a few bloodknights.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it would be cool from a narrative standpoint for Vlad and Isabella to come back and reclaim their domain from Nagash.  Much like an earlier poster called out, maybe the vampires realize that Nagash wants kill everything and they rebel with the return of Vlad.

Vlad and Isabella could be a new centerpiece model with them surrounded by their court of vampires.  

Lore wise, I'm not not sure how they could.  Barring some new plot developments, it's not really possible for Vampires - mortarchs especially (former or otherwise) - to oppose Nagash directly.  Nagash was a subtle creature who incorporated his influence and will into necromancy's metaphorical bones.  It's why his nine books were among the phylactories that bound Nagash's soul to the mortal realm, preventing his true death and eventually allowing for his return and ascension.  His soul is a literal part of not just those books but also of the arcane principles those books first described.  All necromancy is derived from those principles, including Neferata's original blood potion of immortality and thus all vampires everywhere.  Basically, when Nagash invented undeath he built a back door into it that allows him to personally assume command of any undead creature.  Sure, in the old world, when Nagash was "only" the first and most powerful liche, his artefacts of power scattered and his soul form crippled by skaven poison, there were undead powerful enough to resist that influence.  But from the moment not only reattained his original power but went beyond it to bind his soul to Shyish itself and become a god, no such exceptions should remain.

Vampires can plot against him.  When his attention is busy elsewhere they can even raise armies against his forces.  But the moment such an army becomes important or successful enough to attract his direct attention, the game is over.

The situation is even more lopsided for mortarchs, including former mortarchs such as Vlad.  The mortarchs, like Nagash's books, staff, crown, armor, sword, and so on, are themselves vessels for a portion of Nagash's Soul and Will.  That's where their enhanced necromantic powers and influence over other undead comes from.  They carry Nagash's direct attention with them.  They still can plot against him, but have to be even more subtle about it than other undead, and in the end even their attempts at duplicity will still likely turn out to have been serving Nagash's design all along.

Even in the old world, the Vampire Counts army book was the 'pro nagash' side of the undead split, whether they knew and wanted to be or not.  The only clear cut examples of Vampires actually opposing Nagash's plans required the direct intervention of the Chaos gods.  Khorne using wallach, Nurgle using Isabella, all the Chaos Gods joining together to manipulate Mannfred, and even in these cases they were only able to do so while Nagash was otherwise occupied.  The idea of vampires leading armies against nagash directly is not impossible - it's all made up - but is certainly unprecedented.  And for Vlad in particular to do it seems beyond unlikely.

Again, not impossible.  Internal conflicts destroying the grand alliances with internal conflict does seem to be the way the lore is going heading into 3rd edition.  And there's certainly cause for vampires to oppose the constant expansion of the OBR empire and its tithes.  Nagash would need to be dramatically nerfed for it to be at all in fitting with the established lore, though.  We'll see what Broken Realms: Teclis  brings.

That’s kind of why I’m hoping Soulblight Gravelords is something like a rebellion.  Nagash has had victory after victory.  At some point that has to end and what better narrative way for that to happen then for Nagash  to be so confident in his hold over those gifted with Undeath that he misses the threat right under his thumb.  

Just because I like Vlad and by extension Isabella we could imagine that Sigmar has found a way to shelter or bring Vlad and Isabella back.  After the soul wars, Sigmar would be looking for a new tactic against Nagash and death.  Vlad was ostensibly part of his empire in the old world, maybe his soul was claimed by Sigmar.  Sigmar resurrects him and finds a way around Nagashs control of undeath.  He could find a way to twist the SoulBlight curse so it no longer responds to Nagash and instead allows the Soulblighted true freedom. Perhaps they can’t be sustained only on blood any longer and must actually consume souls to keep the curse from destroying them or reverting them to Nagash’s control.

Either way with a returned Vlad who is not bound to Nagash, he could spread the new version of the Soulblight curse among the other vampires.  The vampires who could see the writing on the wall under Nagash, him killing everything and causing the Vampires to suffer an eternity of hunger, would naturally rebel when given a chance at freedom.  The curse could be spread in lesser forms and allow for the human/mortal armies some folks want to exist under the Vampires.  You could even have one of the sub factions allow for 1/4 Cities of Sigmar Free guild or something.  

Anyway, to me this makes for a more interesting narrative rather then just another group of undead who serve Nagash.  

Edited by Siphon

I hope to see a new Vlad Model at some point. They've been brining amount fair amount of old world, and an updated Vlad sculpt would be amazing. They did such an amazing job with Sigvald.

My personal guess is that we'll see all the remains from LoN that haven't been ported over to other books ported into this one. The new Skeletons from the cursed city give me hope of a new kit, as they look amazing. I'm expecting the same for Zombies as well.

And of course, give me some badass vamps. The Underworlds models look fantastic, I just want to see more of them!

2 hours ago, Honk said:

Please abhorash...

snd with the fat dude, they copied Karakros, something I would love to see for a Lhamia vampire coven 😻

Here's hoping, there was an interesting note on the community site with Sigvald being the best swordsman in the mortal realms or so he thinks...

I'd buy 3 of Abhorash for sure; one to keep in the box,  one to tarnish with my poor skills and one to have someone paint nicely. Please GW please!

Edited by El Syf
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lich King said:

Does anyone think FEC will be merged in with Soulblight Gravelords? I heard some thoughts/rumors.

I doubt it. FEC are too unique to get rolled into another battletome at this point. If anything, I suspect it's going to be the removal of the Legions of Nagash and rolling the remaining units in Soulblight. They put Nagash in Bonereapers, and I think they'll probably put him in each death battletome as well going forward. 

It could happen.  Ogres got rolled back together.  So did Skaven.  And the beasty/armored orcs are one faction now, too.  Still seems like a stretch to me, but there have apparently been some signs and portents that this could happen.  We're already expecting Nagash, Arkhan, Morghasts, and all the Nighthaunt units to be removed from LoN in the shift to Gravelords.  If they were to roll Fec back in, they'd still probably end up with a smaller unit selection than they started with.

Personally, I rather see FEC left as their own separate faction and fleshed out with some new units that could better showcase their compelling new AoS characterization, but I wouldn't exactly be complaining if they were rolled back into the new vamp counts book instead.  We'll just have to see.

I don’t see Nagash not making this battletome. Even Arkhan and Morghasts have a good chance of making it as they are still very distinct from Reapers.  Whatever comes I at least expect a makeshift “Legion of Sacrament” towards the back - even if it is just an add-on.

Edited by Lich King