How long to paint 5 Sequitors?

Desolater

47 minutes ago, Desolater said:

Hey guys,

just curious how long it takes you to paint 5 sequitors/ liberators For our army.

I can't talk about sequitors, but can talk about stuff with a similar level of detail.

Depending on whether I paint serially, averaging about 45 minutes. Leaders or more intricate models, double to triple that.

Edited by zilberfrid

7 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Averaging about 45 minutes

Wow sound really quick.

I could probably achieve an average a 1h per liberator in a batch painting of 10 (so 10h for 10 Libs), using retributor gold undercoat to save time.

But if moving to Sequitor, I have to double (at least) this time due cloth on the armor.

Now, obliviously, it should depend of the painter skills and the level of details/quality you want to achieve.

13 minutes ago, RedMax said:

Wow sound really quick.

I could probably achieve an average a 1h per liberator in a batch painting of 10 (so 10h for 10 Libs), using retributor gold undercoat to save time.

But if moving to Sequitor, I have to double (at least) this time due cloth on the armor.

Now, obliviously, it should depend of the painter skills and the level of details/quality you want to achieve.

This is from memory, I might have mistimed it. My batch painting is in fives, and done in around 4 hours, though I must say that priming is separate. This was for units with a similar amount of detail (Freeguild Guards with sword, shields better looking heads) and a mix of armour and clothes, like sequitors, but I remember something similar for Stormsire's group (2 Evocators and a KI).

I use zenithal priming and contrast paints a lot.

Edited by zilberfrid

6 hours ago, Desolater said:

Cool thanks for the replies guys. I batch paint too and recon about an hour a model is reasonable. 30 minutes sounds pretty rapid 😂

As you've heard it varies immensely - 30 minutes for a Sequitor would be pretty fast though. Their robes and accoutraments mean they've got a lot more colours on them than other Stormcast units. I could see bashing out Hammers of Sigmar Liberators at lightning speed but Sequitors are going to take longer for most people. Also going to depend on your tolerance for errors, how much highlighting/lowlighting you're satisfied with...

GW's battle-ready contrast-painted Stormcasts might even be faster,  but someone like me wouldn't be able to stomach the amount of corner-cutting it would require.

I take 2-3 hours per Sequitor, 2 max per Liberator. But i also deeply despise batch painting after forcing myself to it a few times and getting no fun and crappy paintjobs from it. Could shave some time there if it's for you. I prefer to finish a model start to finish, just gives me more enjoyment.

1 hour ago, Lucur said:

I take 2-3 hours per Sequitor, 2 max per Liberator. But i also deeply despise batch painting after forcing myself to it a few times and getting no fun and crappy paintjobs from it. Could shave some time there if it's for you. I prefer to finish a model start to finish, just gives me more enjoyment.

Yeah I can see how it would be more enjoyable but wayyy less efficient surely?

13 minutes ago, Desolater said:

Yeah I can see how it would be more enjoyable but wayyy less efficient surely?

Which do you prefer right now? I get that it changes due to context. 

but more enjoyment seems to be the obvious choice to me vs efficiency 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Which do you prefer right now? I get that it changes due to context. 

but more enjoyment seems to be the obvious choice to me vs efficiency 😂

Have been doing touch ups recently and basing so no batch/single option but I’ve got a unit of Sequitors waiting

Priming them the largest color you're going to paint saves a TON of time. 

When I started priming my guys gold, it really cut back how long it took to paint. 

I'd say it takes about 45 minutes to paint a liberator and maybe an hour and fifteen-thirty for a sequitor, since they're 50/50 robes and metal.

The issue with Sequitors is, priming gold doesn't quite pay off, as most of the model is cloth. I prime mine grey and layer in the gold, doesn't take too long and doesn't make me paint as much white ;) not having to paint as much white is about the best thing one can aim for...