Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

Hello everyone.

LRL will be my debut into fantasy models, looking forward to picking up the new battle cow and stone mage once they are available. 

Here's my Eltahrion. Thinking i should have done him last, but never mind!

fOcLyMj.jpg

Edited by mjay9090
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Well done with the Dawnriders! I painted two of them mostly finished - and they and I barely survived the process. 3 to go including the banner "shudders". 

Thanks, they're the reason I picked up the box.
but you're right, they are hard on the soul.

I had grand ideas of building  two units of 10 , (yet to play a game, so this might be a terrible idea)  but they are a huge amount of work - but would be very cool  once completed.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

Yep, painting Dawnriders is horrific. To the point where I’m considering leaving them at 5 even at 2k lol.

25 minutes ago, mjay9090 said:

Thanks, they're the reason I picked up the box.
but you're right, they are hard on the soul.

I had grand ideas of building  two units of 10 , (yet to play a game, so this might be a terrible idea)  but they are a huge amount of work - but would be very cool  once completed.

I originally only planned with 5 in my trial 2,000 list, and I'm so happy that I did that. I have 15 though ..., and likely will paint an additional 5 in the future (so 10 altogether), once I can muster the strength lol. I think, that might work better in the end. 

I agree though, they will look very cool once finished. If you really make 20, that would look awesome, I'm sure. The models are really nice. Lots of cool details and very dynamic.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

I originally only planned with 5 in my trial 2,000 list, and I'm so happy that I did that. I have 15 though ..., and likely will paint an additional 5 in the future (so 10 altogether), once I can muster the strength lol. I think, that might work better in the end. 

I agree though, they will look very cool once finished. If you really make 20, that would look awesome, I'm sure. The models are really nice. Lots of cool details and very dynamic.  

Well hopefully there are some deals on ebay as punters become frustrated by them!

This is my list currently, its purely around models I like. Keen to do the stone guard with cut down cow helms, maybe a plume on top if the rules require a similar height? I dunno. 

Leaders
Scinari Cathallar (140)
- General
Alarith Stonemage (130)
The Light of Eltharion (220)

Battleline
10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (120)
10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (120)
10 x Vanari Dawnriders (260)
10 x Vanari Dawnriders (260)

Units
5 x Alarith Stoneguard (100)
- Stone Mallets
10 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (140)
10 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (140)

Behemoths
Alarith Spirit of the Mountain (340)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Hyshian Twinstones (30)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

Yep, painting Dawnriders is horrific. To the point where I’m considering leaving them at 5 even at 2k lol.

Building and painting both. 

I  tried to have the riders separate from their horses so that I can paint them a little easier. After building them that way, absolutely nothing lined up. I had to paint them in once piece and I totally messed up the build.

I really love the models, but unless I find a painter who  can finish them for me I'm not gonna touch a second unit. 

Totally unrelated: What do you think about the Cathallar's Darkness of the Soul spell?

My take is that it's totally busted, especially in the Teclis / Powerstone list where you can pretty much guarantee that it goes off.  For an opponent that brings something big, i.e. a max unit of anything, it is straight up in negative play experience territory for me. 

Pony.jpg

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 1

Just now, Troll.exe said:

This answers so many questions lol. Perfect, thank you 👌

No worries. 

I did a dry fit before painting, and like Chris is saying above you, there might be a little convincing involved to get things aligned again, everything is very lightly glued for the eventual struggle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisNoAnts said:

Totally unrelated: What do you think about the Cathallar's Darkness of the Soul spell?

Pony.jpg

Those Dawnriders look great! Awesome paint job.

I’m genuinely a bit baffled by all the talk about NPE. (Not specially by your question, I just see this coming up a lot : ) ).

Likely I’m old, times changed etc., but often what is called a NPE is just playing? Many traditional tabletop games have elements which can be fun for the one who is doing it, but not the one on the receiving end. But that can also be part of the fun. Like in your example. The spells goes off, but you roll bad 2 times in a row and still get squashed. This makes it more fun for your opponent, because they thought they’d experience something bad, which instead turned out to be awesome. They’ll also feel good when they kill that ****** of a Cathallar, or squash your whole unit of Warden when they can finally do it. Often those are the situations which become memorable. 

And then there are things like not using a powerful max size unit against a Teclis/Cathallar combination in the first place. Some people might enjoy working on their list to see how they can make it work and build around such problems. 

That said, if you play casually in your club, or with friends and family and know their favorite build depends on that one big unit (or they just don’t have anything else), and you know they are miserable whenever they can’t use it properly - then of course it’s better to avoid it. Or at least ask them if it’s a problem for them before the game. Because the aim is to have fun together. 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, ChrisNoAnts said:

I  tried to have the riders separate from their horses so that I can paint them a little easier. After building them that way, absolutely nothing lined up. I had to paint them in once piece and I totally messed up the build.

I found trimming the pegs off of the sides of the horse helped a lot in that regard. That, and keeping one leg separate in the sub-assembly.

Here is an example of my sub assembly, and a finished (well, 95%ish) result.1137586761_2020-09-0802_51_30.jpg.564921203bdb68e345202e69ed76b261.jpg445686036_2020-09-0802_52_54.jpg.2580d7c2dd28a5c0b4cbd6b431c39664.jpg

Edited by Pravus_Obsideo
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 4

Is having only 10 Sentinels worth it or is the chip damage ok?

Also with the Alarith temple, do you think its only worth taking once you have a certain amount of Stoneguard? Thinking 3x5 or so on. MSU so less minimised pile in issues, and aetherquartz. 

Also are Diamondpicks better? I feel like if they aint better, then they are atleast just handier to roll, I hate having to seperatw dice that translate to extra damage.

Ps- Wardens in 2x10 or 20? I made mine as 20 because looks badass, less chance to lose their spellcasting and better to buff

Edited by Adammck66

4 hours ago, Adammck66 said:

Is having only 10 Sentinels worth it or is the chip damage ok?

Also with the Alarith temple, do you think its only worth taking once you have a certain amount of Stoneguard? Thinking 3x5 or so on. MSU so less minimised pile in issues, and aetherquartz. 

Also are Diamondpicks better? I feel like if they aint better, then they are atleast just handier to roll, I hate having to seperatw dice that translate to extra damage.

Ps- Wardens in 2x10 or 20? I made mine as 20 because looks badass, less chance to lose their spellcasting and better to buff

Picks are better. Think about it this way. You roll the 6, then that attack still has 2 points of failure. The mw does less dmg over all but it's much more likely to be successful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ChrisNoAnts said:

?Building and painting both. 

I really love the models, but unless I find a painter who  can finish them for me I'm not gonna touch a second unit. 

My take is that it's totally busted, especially in the Teclis / Powerstone list where you can pretty much guarantee that it goes off.  For an opponent that brings something big, i.e. a max unit of anything, it is straight up in negative play experience territory for me. 

Pony.jpg

Sorry for asking but what do you mean by Teclis / Powerstone list? I guess  Teclis because cast +1 but which powerstone?

thanks. 

1 hour ago, woolf said:

Ok guys so when are we starting the "ideas-for-converting-Teclis-discussion", or is it even a separate thread?

was thinking if there would be a good option to make him mounted on the Celennar spirit in some way - thoughts?

Pretty hard. Have you seen the sprue? Most of Teclis body is a single piece. The connection area of him and Celennar do not apear to be much trouble tho.

27 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Pretty hard. Have you seen the sprue? Most of Teclis body is a single piece. The connection area of him and Celennar do not apear to be much trouble tho.

yep would seem quite tricky, haven't looked close at the sprue but was kinda thinking it migth require a completely different model for the body, eg something modelled as a rider and then use the signature stuff from teclis like staff etc

9 minutes ago, woolf said:

yep would seem quite tricky, haven't looked close at the sprue but was kinda thinking it migth require a completely different model for the body, eg something modelled as a rider and then use the signature stuff from teclis like staff etc

I think that IF you managed to get a set of legs in the sitting position of his size (no idea how) you could cut his upper body and connect to it but i am not sure the cape would fit in his sitting position