Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

On 7/26/2022 at 4:50 PM, Tizianolol said:

Anyone know the 4-1 summer slaughter gargant list ?:)

All I can find is this:

AoS Meta Stats (w/e 24th July 2022) - Woehammer

And looks like SoBs weren't in the top 10.  If I can slap together a couple Mancrushers in time I'll run Breaker Tribe (3 Gateys/2 mannys) at a 3 game event on Sept 4th.  Don't think my local club has experienced them in a while :)

If I can only get 1 built, I'll run Breaker w 2 Gateys/Kragnos/1 manny. 

Or if I just paint my Sylvaneth and Iron Warriors instead, I'll run Taker Tribe w a 1 Gatey and 3 Kraken Eaters.....or guess I could still go Breaker w 2 Gateys and 2 Warstompers.  But Warstompers just kinda stink don't they?  Guess their feet do more stomping than a regular KE, but not as much as the sandals. 

Also, these days I think they extra model count of Taker Tribe will pay off vs the pesky new Expert Conquerors battalion.  Still, hard to argue with rend-3 AND the amazing boulders that Gatebreakers have.  KE boulders lack punch, and accuracy.

Nice thing is the extra VP for monsters is gone.  Going 2 Gateys/2 Warstompers would only give up 4 points instead of 8 for the megaTakerTribe list.  Haven't delved into the new Battle Tactics/Grand Strategies and SoBs capabilities in the new GHB.  I think they could do well.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 4:43 AM, Tizianolol said:

About new grand strategy, how it works if I play 2 gate 2 warstompers? I got 4 models, I just have to charge/run with every model until turn 4? Thx a lot

Oh it's much easier than that!  It says 'any units' so it only has to be 1 each turn.  Been reading about how Grand Strategies have been the deciding factor in many games, so I'm going to use the same list as yours I think in my next tournament (just a 3 game event). 

I've done pretty well with 1 Gatebreaker/3 Kraken Eaters before vs Lumineth, but I think 2 Gatebreakers is better, and though the Warstompers are meh, guess they can do as much damage as Kraken Eaters, and they don't give up any VPs anymore.  So that's a huge bonus to using them.  Even without kicking any objectives I think the Sons can achieve good amounts of Battle Tactics (besides the ones for Gallatian Veterans).

• Like 1

I discovered yesterday that Mancrushers in Stomper Tribe + Bounty Hunters are absolutely vicious, especially if Kragnos is speeding them up. Just one of them with re-roll 1s from the general mulched 5/6 Crypt Flayers, leaving the last on 1 wound who unluckily rolled a 6 to fail their Battleshock (they'd run out of CP, not expecting to need it for IP on them) while another wiped multiple Ghoul units with ease. Just brutal. Funnily enough, the Bravery 10 from the Mantle completely negated the Flayers' Unleash Hell, which was a weird edge case benefit of it. 

I'll be running the same list at a casual tournament today for some fun after having bought Kragnos just a few days ago to round out my Gargant collection. 

Stomper Tribe

Warstomper* (General) - Monstrously Tough, Mantle of the Destroyer 

Warstomper* - Ironweld Cestus

Kragnos

Mancrusher**

Mancrusher**

*Bosses of the Stomp - Magnificent 

**Bounty Hunters

2000/2000

• Like 1

Ooh, I forgot about the Krondspine.  That's interesting.  That would in effect give the Gateys +1 to hit against everything.

I like it, and the Krondspine itself is fairly killy.  But does it count as models on objectives?  3 megas in Breaker will suffer on model count with the new Expert Conquerors battalion (happened to me vs Nighthaunt last week.)  They'll have to focus charge and overkill, move onto the next target, etc.  

Ive got a practice game this Friday.  Can't decide if I should try the Stomper Tribe w 2 Warstompers, 2 Mancrushers, and Kragnos..,..or Taker Tribe w a Gatey and 3 Kraken Eaters.....or Breaker Tribe w 3 Gateys and 2 Mancrushers. 

I've read good reports for the first and last options.   I've had reasonably good action with the Taker Tribe a couple times back in the last GHB but not tried it yet with the new GHB.  Any thoughts or experiences w these lists recently?

9 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Ive got a practice game this Friday.  Can't decide if I should try the Stomper Tribe w 2 Warstompers, 2 Mancrushers, and Kragnos..,..or Taker Tribe w a Gatey and 3 Kraken Eaters.....or Breaker Tribe w 3 Gateys and 2 Mancrushers. 

I've read good reports for the first and last options.   I've had reasonably good action with the Taker Tribe a couple times back in the last GHB but not tried it yet with the new GHB.  Any thoughts or experiences w these lists recently?

For now I only got to play a game with the choice 2 + 6 (Gate + Kraken + 2x3 mancrushers) against stormcast.
Unfortunately I had a series of very unfortunate throws on the general and I conceded to the third round (the Gate had come to have +3 on the save and 6+ of ward and in any case suffered 35+ wounds, caused by mortals and fulminators).
However, the 2 + 6 is rejected not for a matter of resistance, but of control of the field: Gallett's primary and secondary require a great control of the board (and I also mean to play at denying the opponent's tactics), so I want to try both a solution with the Krondspine, both a 3 + 3 (with singles mancrushers, maybe bounty hunters).

Edited by Holy_Diver
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if a quad Mega list with Brodd will be possible at 2K. It's unlikely but if he costs around the same as a Gatebreaker it will be doable. I like Mancrushers but it just isn't the same as plonking four of the bigger 'uns down. 

This is hopium by the way, I fully expect Brodd to be ~600 points. The Priest bit alone is a huge deal as it is. Still, I guess we will have a whole new battletome to sift through with him, so I'm sure a lot will change. 

• Like 1

Well, I think there will be many things to rediscover, starting with the Warstomper that objectively sucks hard.

Do we want to make some predictions?
- Each mega mace will do 3 fixed damage and the flail of Gate 4;
- If the king's hammer does not do at least 5 damage per hit I will be offended;
- Each D3 damage will become 2 and each D6 will become 4;
- Scaling table for "mightier makes rightier", like Kragnos;
- "mightier makes rightier" will continue to overwrite every battleplan;
- Mancrushers armor save at 4+;
- All the various "reroll dice" will instead become +1;
- Behemat Prayer Table.

Edited by Holy_Diver
  • Like 1

Those are all very probable predictions IMHO.  Mancrushers are pretty fragile and die like clanrats for me.  They can also be purple sunned which happened to me today.   That spell should still 100 pts.  All over the tournament today.  

I tabled a Skaven army first game, and got Tabled by thunder lizard game 2. Waiting for game three to start, gonna take a nap in my car meanwhile.   The other Behemat army here with Kragnos and two Gateys also got Tabled but by KO instead of dinosaurs.

• Like 1

I would like if the Warstompers changed to choose sweep or smash with their club....sweep single attack perodel within 3" and doesn't cap out at 10 and single dmg per.   Smash could be maybe 4-5 bracketing down to 2-3ayne and either D6 or 4 per smash.   The cap at 10 is terrible, and his hurled body thing is too difficult to do.  

The Kraken Eater net should be like the Ghorgon or Stardrake and just go in the net equal or greater than the wounds stat, not twice it.  Also should kicking objectives not be limited to one per turn?   It's really not that impactful.  If they can play manskittles they probably like to play objective soccer..

Seems like Mancrushers should throw rocks without using a CP too.  

11 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I tabled a Skaven army first game, and got Tabled by thunder lizard game 2. Waiting for game three to start, gonna take a nap in my car meanwhile.   The other Behemat army here with Kragnos and two Gateys also got Tabled but by KO instead of dinosaurs.

Yeah, the situation for SoB is "fully dominate or get tabled". I'm testing from the previous month an array of lists, but DPS really hurts them (stormcast is the worst matchup hands down). You're from the US? How goes there the meta?

7 hours ago, Holy_Diver said:

Yeah, the situation for SoB is "fully dominate or get tabled". I'm testing from the previous month an array of lists, but DPS really hurts them (stormcast is the worst matchup hands down). You're from the US? How goes there the meta?

Tis true....I got tabled by Beasts of Chaos bottom of turn 3 game 3!  I went straight for his Herdstone, got in his face with all but 1 Mancrusher, which shocked him, but WOW those Ghorgons w Rend-2 and -3 w the monster action is super nasty.....not to mention the strike last of the Wildfire Taurus.  He had be bogged down with that and the Gnashing Jaws after doing Hailstorm, and that is a super horrible combo which I will certainly use for my BoC army 😛

Stormcast is still very popular and strong, and I saw the KO player have allied Stormdrakes.  Sylvaneth has blossomed into super popularity (even I am on board with my all old metal tree army).  Nighthaunt is also strong and prevalent, and a great counter to many armies. 

However Sylvaneth went 3-0 yesterday at an 18player event.  He had Alarielle, Durthu w ethereal save and greenwood gladius for extra sword attacks, and Lady of the Vines, and bunches of Dryads.  Just kept strike-n-fading Durthu and healing things.  Durthu like that is super nasty and can easily cut down a mega per turn with good rolls but I didn't play that guy.  I did well when I played a Treelord heavy Sylvaneth army but still they were tough.

I think Longshanks needs to be changed to being able to not just Normal Move, but ANY type of move over stuff.  That would help the SoBs out big time as they wouldn't be able to be boxed in with stupid endless spells as much......or maybe we could get some spell ignoring things as magic is dum and we're too tall to pay attention to such things.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I am a relatively new player to AoS, and my armies are Kruleboyz, Giants and Troggoths. I'm a big destruction fan. I come from many years of playing the Middle Earth strategy battle game, and I'm more of a painter than a power-gamer- I've won best painted army in 9 different LOTR tournaments, and am hoping to win some more diplomas with my Gargants later this year. I'll show some of my work later, maybe. Needless to say I'm excited for the new book, especially painting up Brodd (not too much the Beast smasha). Anyway, that's my hello! Happy hobbying!

• Like 1

So, Brodd looks mighty interesting! 40 Wounds with access to prayers (given that he's a Priest) with one of the shared ones for all Priests being a 6+ ward is pretty hefty. His Stomp and Death Grip are largely the same as the Kraken Eater/Gatebreaker save that the Death Grip is now only Rend -2. Having run the numbers on his big club, he hits harder on average than a Kraken Eater or Warstomper, but isn't quite as nasty as a Gatebreaker (especially given Gatebreakers can take traits/artifacts.) It'll be interesting to see if it's possible to fit him into a 4 Mega list, I'm not the biggest fan of running Mancrushers (for aesthetic reasons) so here's hoping. 

48 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I think it's just a niche faction outside of tournament play, thus the lack of buzz.

Gargants are really popular aren't they? They're pretty much THE timmy army in terms of aesthetic.

Also I really hope they don't tie the subfactions to the general again. Even in the current book its barely justified since the benefits tend to focus on the mancrushers as much or more than the megas.