Starcast - The Thread

Turragor

Ok so I've thought about it, and there are other ways to do it (the classic way - vexillor, prime, comet, slann ally) but I really like this 3.0 version of Starcast. I'll be getting this number of dragons probably so I may even try it out (but there is a LOT of good stuff to try out, I'm psyched :D)

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs:
Knight-Draconis (255)*
- General
- Command Trait: Master of the Celestial Menagerie
- Artefact: Drakescale Armour
- Mount Trait: Celestial Instincts
Knight-Incantor (125)*
- Spell: Lightning Blast
Lord-Relictor (145)*
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Spell: Celestial Blades
- Prayer: Translocation
6 x Stormdrake Guard (855)**
- Reinforced x 2
10 x Judicators with Skybolt Bows (400)*
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Liberators (115)**
- Heavens-wrought Weapon and Shield
Everblaze Comet (100)
*Warlord
**Hunters of the Heartlands
Holy Command: Thunderbolt Volley

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 106
Drops: 6

The design here is something I thought was cool in that you don't necessarily need to go first, it's better to let the opponent move, position yourself and try for a double. That's not like Starcast at all.

The big weaknesses here are meeting another alphastriking army - in that sense you'd be best keeping the key pieces in the sky.

If you don't know who will go first it can be a mind game (this is one of the reasons I'm looking into Bastian in a lot of lists right now).

Edited by Turragor

7 minutes ago, Turragor said:

...snip...

Nice list, seems very solid but i wonder about the utility of a 6 drake unit.

Right now we don't know exactly how big the bases would be (and judging by the pictures on the net my guess is that they'll be a solid 105/75mm) moving these arround can be really tough.

you probably got a big unit of 6 to benefit the most from the knight draconis once per battle ability but could you be in range for these 6 dragons to shoot anyway (it's only 12" reach).

6 of them will almost never be able to all fight against the same unit due to that as well, i'd say that they also lack a bit of punch compared to some other units in the book.

Maybe just splitting your unit into two groups of drake would give you better options i don't know (it's a tough call cause if you don't buff them on defense they'll die pretty fast as well so maybe not the best choice).

Alternatively you can remove 2 of them and select vanguard hunters as you battleline choice, solid TP ability, no damages but you don't care and why not increase your shooting power by picking vanguard raptors as your shooting unit to compensate for this lack of punch your list may have.

You could end with something like this:

knight draconis
knight incantor
lord relictor
4 stormdrakes
1 stormdrake (or 5 hunters)
5 hunters
6 vanguard raptors
and the comet

I know your goal is to have a maximum of drakes on your army (and honestly who doesn't want to?), i just wanted to think arround what you showed us and raise a couple of thoughts.
I hope my comment isn't useless.

58 minutes ago, jeanfluflu said:

but could you be in range for these 6 dragons to shoot anyway (it's only 12" reach).

This is a good point!

59 minutes ago, jeanfluflu said:

knight draconis
knight incantor
lord relictor
4 stormdrakes
1 stormdrake (or 5 hunters)
5 hunters
6 vanguard raptors
and the comet

I like this a lot too, I think this is better even.

I would just wonder how would we prioritise the opening 'salvo'?

I'm not sure its possible to get both wrath and volley in the 1st hero phase? It's another part of the puzzle I'm thinking of solving.

Starcast to me is MW spam so now with the new book this is my version of MW spam. All the drake things are spitting some form of MW. Currently my thought was Hammers but I could probably move them to something else. Make the Draconis the General to give my 3 battleline so im still good no matter what.

Command Entourage:
Knight-Draconis, Amulet
Lord-Relictor, General, High Priest, Translocation
Knight-Incantor, Chain Lightning

Redemption Brotherhood:
Fulminators x2
Fulminators x2
Fulminators x2
Fulminators x2

Hunters of the Heartlands:
Stormdrake Guard x2
Vindictors x5
Vindictors x5

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Turragor said:

The gameplan would be casting every hero phase. You can dispel an endless spell in the opponents hero phase.

I did it on my previous game, but remember that casting a spell on a value of 6 can be swingy.
I took the first turn for that and comet failed to cast despite me being out of unbind range, in the end it just sprayed a couple of MW (about 5 or 6).

I think if you want to bring the comet having a stardrake at your side could be a solid choice, you have the +1 to cast AND the great shooting attack from the drake to finish off the buffer characters that have been wounded in your heroe phase, and he's a dragon!

he's expensive but it can be worth it, like you can use him as an anvil/shooting platform for the first turn to try and destroy that annoying cathalar/enemy totem....you know the drill.

He doesn't makes stormdrake battleline though and using him AND the knight draconis probably brings the compo very much away from what you plan to do.
It also forces you into hammer of sigmar to get some concussors/fulminators as battlelines.

it's up to you.

Edited by jeanfluflu

13 minutes ago, jeanfluflu said:

I think if you want to bring the comet having a stardrake at your side could be a solid choice, you have the +1 to cast AND the great shooting attack from the drake to finish off the buffer characters that have been wounded in your heroe phase, and he's a dragon!

Yea it was a nobrainer of a combo when rain of stars was unlimited range mw... I think there's space to try an older list out and forgetting the stormdrake guard.

Right now I'm interested in the triple efficiency threat list, the "hallowstrike" list from Pjetski and trying out the new dragons.

I also like the idea of Krondys as the everblaze comet caster ... :)

Wanting to try this, even though I am aware units of 4 drakes is probably more efficient, I could see it work as is:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
- Grand Strategy: Beast Master
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Command Trait: Master of the Celestial Menagerie
- Artefact: Luckstone
- Mount Trait: Celestial Instincts
Krondys, Son of Dracothion (600)
- Spell: Starfall

Battleline
2 x Stormdrake Guard (285)

Total: 1955 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 90
Drops: 5

Luckstone could be switched for defensive artifact, possibly Amulet, but the luckstone would allow a guaranteed charge on something after dropping down from the sky, with all the stormdrake hero phase movement and such, you should be able to drop down where needed turn 1. Stardrake also gives Krondys +1 additional cast. It is a lot of points in the 2 heroes, but they can do some work. Thundershock is pointless on Krondys as everyone are at -1 to be wounded anyway as long as the Stardrake sticks around at least, so preventing a unit from pile-ins entirely could be a game winning element.

Biggest problem is no single unit doing MASSIVE damage, so no real way to take down a mega gargants without some retaliation, however with high saves and -1 to be wounded, this should be manageable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeanfluflu said:

He doesn't makes stormdrake battleline though and using him AND the knight draconis probably brings the compo very much away from what you plan to do.

Just to clarify - having a stardrake general does make Stormdrakes battleline.  Stormdrakes are Battleline If for either Stardrake or Draconith generals, which means you can do Either Celestant on Stardrake, Drakesworn Templar, Knight-Draconis, or either Krondys or Karazi.

• Like 1

What about a more pressure oriented list? Something like this that gets in the opponents face and does tons of splash MWs.

Krondys (chain lightning)

Incantor (menagerie trait, lightning blast)

2x5 vindictors

2x3 Annihilators

2x3 Annihilators with hammers

Everblaze comet

Between the spells and annihilator MWs on drop and charge a lot of smaller units and heroes will crumple turn 1. The Annihilators and Krondys are no slouches in combat either. This would be in KE for the bonus + battle line too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colgado said:

What about a more pressure oriented list? Something like this that gets in the opponents face and does tons of splash MWs.

2x5 vindictors

2x3 Annihilators

Everblaze comet

Between the spells and annihilator MWs on drop and charge a lot of smaller units and heroes will crumple turn 1. The Annihilators and Krondys are no slouches in combat either. This would be in KE for the bonus + battle line too.

I like it, starcast but the stars are ppls

18 hours ago, Colgado said:

2x5 vindictors

2x3 Annihilators

Everblaze comet

If you take this in KE, no vindictors needed, add a Knight Vexillor or 2 instead to either get the annihilazors somewhere else or add another splash of MW, as i just ealized they need no LoS for the meteoric banner now. Mhmmmm.

Hi, 

just painted the van Denst witchhunter Models. They seem kinda cool in combination with the comet. So i can dispel it in the shooting phase and drop it again in the next round. Is That Right? Sry if already discussed. Just recently started a starcast List 

1 hour ago, Dukeus said:

Hi, 

just painted the van Denst witchhunter Models. They seem kinda cool in combination with the comet. So i can dispel it in the shooting phase and drop it again in the next round. Is That Right? Sry if already discussed. Just recently started a starcast List 

yes it works, it's a nice combination but you have to make sure that the comet is in range of Doralia, so 29" max