Help picking an army

Thesockra

So I am just returning to the hobby after a 2 year break.  I have tried AoS with 2/3 fantasy armies I already had, lizzies and savage orks, and didn't really enjoy either.

the lizzies ...Seraphon, just don't have much shootyness and I prefer shooty armies in most games (I play tau in 40k).

the bonesplitterz had 2 problems, despite how powerful their archers seem, they didn't seem to do much, and the fact that if anything touches them the whole army dies cause their armor sucks.

2 questions:

1) is a primarily shooty army viable in AoS?

2) is there an army that is shooty and durable?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for perfection, as a tau player I know durable shootyness has to have a downside (such as the taus lack of psykers and general inability to fight in melee)

Stormcast and dwarfs do that hardy shooting thing pretty well.

Sylvaneth have some strong shooters, but i dont know how well they really work as a shooter force.

Wonders can have a very strong front line backed up with more fragile but quick shooters.

Of them, i'd say stormcast, Dispossessed, and Wonders make the best primarily shooting armies that can also have tanky elements.

I am digging on the idea of skryre.  The only concern I have is if they have a chance in games where you need at least 5 models near an objective.  The 1k list I drew up is 

Arch warlock

2 squads of 3 storm fiends (rattling guns)

1 squad of jezzails

2 squads of poison wind mortars

Clan Skyre is a good option, but you're right about unit sizes being an issue.

Acolytes are the option here, and to build the models, best option is Mantic Ver-myn models, with backpacks made from spare parts from the Stormfiends and other Skaven artillery such as a lightning cannon, plus maybe Ork Storkboyz

6 hours ago, Lucio said:

Clan Skyre is a good option, but you're right about unit sizes being an issue.

Acolytes are the option here, and to build the models, best option is Mantic Ver-myn models, with backpacks made from spare parts from the Stormfiends and other Skaven artillery such as a lightning cannon, plus maybe Ork Storkboyz

Yeah, but I was looking for durable and shooty and the acolytes barely count as shooty and are squishier than my bonesplitterz.  

I may may have to just tough it out with my current models until we have more armies released since the only army that can be durably shooty seems to be sigmarines and they don't appeal to me very much, in part because they are both order and the games poster boys.

what I would really like...and I may have to paint and kitbash to get it is chaos sigmarines.

I actually really like the look of knight  venators and prosecutors with spears.  They are pretty models but something in me chafes at playing for the most popular teams.  I like supporting the underdog.  Then again based on fluff the sigmarines are still the underdogs compared to chaos.

50 minutes ago, Thesockra said:

what I would really like...and I may have to paint and kitbash to get it is chaos sigmarines.

My next project! Drawn from the fringes of Shyish and forged during Sigmar's dark mood, these eternals still bear the trappings of fear.

Judicators are definitely the way to go.  With Venator(s), Prosecutors with javelins, a Prime, and maybe a Celestial Hurricanum and a cannon if you want to dip outside the Stormcast faction but stay within Order.  Especially the Hurricanum, since it also gets you a Wizard which you don't get otherwise.

1 hour ago, Thesockra said:

I actually really like the look of knight  venators and prosecutors with spears.  They are pretty models but something in me chafes at playing for the most popular teams.  I like supporting the underdog.  Then again based on fluff the sigmarines are still the underdogs compared to chaos.

Most popular. I don't know. They might become very popular, but I personally have only met one stormcast player. 

You have to understand before AoS and thus before the existence of storm cast was warhammer fantasy battle that had its own scores of armies. So many folks are still playing what remnants of what they used to play that they can.

Also it really sounds like stormcast are the army you want. Don't let not being the special flower turn you off. ^.^

2 hours ago, mmimzie said:

Most popular. I don't know. They might become very popular, but I personally have only met one stormcast player. 

You have to understand before AoS and thus before the existence of storm cast was warhammer fantasy battle that had its own scores of armies. So many folks are still playing what remnants of what they used to play that they can.

Also it really sounds like stormcast are the army you want. Don't let not being the special flower turn you off. ^.^

I suspect you are right, both about how storm cast fit the mode I want and that I need to get over my desire to be a special flower.

Archived